• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Well |OT| The First True Metroidunkavania

Portugeezer

One of the things confusing about the map is how some areas look partially unexplored, but really it's just one area leading to another part of the map from the other side. I just realized for the first time you could place markings on the map lol no idea how I missed it and I'm almost done the game.
The map gives a lot of clues.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Finally got the last two achievements. Not sure yet if I will do the bunny statues. I will probably spoil it and see what it leads to next. The UV light in the store room or whatever had me kind of intrigued.

Also no clue what to do with the control panel...

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Just beat the main boss I think, if you want to call it that.

What a great Metroidvania game, always keeps you wondering about what previous discovered location you can use your new item. The bubble platforms let you do stuff which make you think you might be sequence breaking but certain parts have more of a hard block just in case (not invisible walls, always contextualised by the game and new item abilities).

Anyway, I got a new item after the main boss:

stopwatch? I don't see it

It looks boring and the art design is terrible. I might give it a try if it comes to Game Pass. I'm curious about the reviews after the hype dies down. We'll see real opinions within a year.
The pixels are too chunky (TV on PS5), scan lines just just hurt my eyes.

But the game is good.

elhav

At its best, the game is one of the most original puzzle games in a while. At its worst, it has some puzzles that genuinely make me want to stop playing and never come back.

I think the biggest sin this game has is its save point locations. Some puzzles will kill you again and again, and you'll have to backtrack again and again, with less and less inclination each time.

The worst puzzles are the ones where you know what you need to do, but the controls and level design just make the process tedious and not enjoyable.

Impotaku

Played a few hours so far, i'm failing to see how the graphics are terrible. The animation & lighting is beautiful however i come from the original gaming generation so i can appreciate nice pixel art. The puzzles so far are reasonably straight forward however i have played the fuck out of fez so i'm no stranger to thinking outside the box when it comes to puzzles but so far it's a matter of using what you have found or paying close attention to the areas and how things behave. Will be interesting to see how i manage on the more obscure puzzles.

At its best, the game is one of the most original puzzle games in a while. At its worst, it has some puzzles that genuinely make me want to stop playing and never come back.

I think the biggest sin this game has is its save point locations. Some puzzles will kill you again and again, and you'll have to backtrack again and again, with less and less inclination each time.

The worst puzzles are the ones where you know what you need to do, but the controls and level design just make the process tedious and not enjoyable.
The save spots are often obnoxiously far and make little sense to me. The fast travel points also feel oddly placed.

Weird experience overall. I really loved it for a long time but somewhere it devolved into frustrating and annoying tedium and soured me pretty hard. I thought I'd gotten over it, reinstalled it to go for the post-game secrets but realized after like 10 minutes I had no fucking interest in going through every room trying every item again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom