• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night |OT| What is a Kickstarter?!?! A Miserable Pile of Delays!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Alright gaf, I went ahead and bought this for $30 on steam after coupon and discount.

I've played and beaten every GBA, DS, Igavania and SotN. Am I going to like this?

Yep. I’ve not seen any who loved those games not like this. People vary on where they rank or among those games, but I’ve nit seen any who enjoyed those not enjoy this.

The Switch port is bad performance wise though so I’d avoid that or wait for the fix they said they’re working on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Alright gaf, I went ahead and bought this for $30 on steam after coupon and discount.

I've played and beaten every GBA, DS, Igavania and SotN. Am I going to like this?

It is as entertaining, if not slightly weaker than SotN or a few of the DS/GBA games - depending on what you primarily enjoyed. Overall I would still rate it as a fun time for those who like quality Igavanias.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
got another ending last night, now i just have to fill in all my missing stuff. 99.8% of the map. missing a lot of demons, shards, items, etc. at least endgame grinding is made fun here! nice to own this map like a god with my endgame powers.

Andyliini

Can anyone give me a little help, I can't seem to find a way forward. Where should I go after beating the boss. I did not receive any new skill from them and have checked out plank spots on the map. I received a hint to go to laboratory, but I can't seem to fimd that either.

Brazen

Can anyone give me a little help, I can't seem to find a way forward. Where should I go after beating the boss. I did not receive any new skill from them and have checked out plank spots on the map. I received a hint to go to laboratory, but I can't seem to fimd that either.

Go around and talk to the NPCs in the game, not just in town either but also ones you've found in the castle/etc, one or two of them should hint you in the right direction. If you're stuck it's always good advice to revisit everyone. Have you come across the train station by chance yet?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
what boss? sometimes the last boss that you beat gives you a special move that lets you traverse further into the world. also keep in mind that you can drop down to lower levels, and sometimes this means you can drop down into areas that are otherwise hidden from view.

It is as entertaining, if not slightly weaker than SotN or a few of the DS/GBA games - depending on what you primarily enjoyed. Overall I would still rate it as a fun time for those who like quality Igavanias.
yeah it is really faithful. it basically is a DS Castlevania in HD. all the complaints i have seen online are the same ones that were thrown at those games as well, which is kind of a testament to how accurate it is. for examples i see people upset at "inconsistent enemy design" which just makes me think they never played the DS ones, where they had goofy horror stuff too like maids with demonic vacuum cleaners. all in all this is a worthy console follow up to those portable 2D games, i'd put it in my top 3.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Frustrated. Backed the Switch version and from the tech reports I'm hearing, I'll be waiting a while before I can play.

Paltheos

why wait for reports? it is perfectly playable.

Not perfectly lol.
And I'm not expecting everything I'd get from my PC, but the killer for me is the major input lag. Last report I saw is double the lag from console (150+ ms IIRC).
I don't care too much about the lost visual effects, but the loading times on some transitions are also a big blow.
I'll be waiting probably a month, I think. Just frustrating because my friend's playing on PC and we can't share our experiences.

Go to the area where you fight that boss and collect what is in the chest at the bottom of the area.

If the chest is open, you hopefully already collected the item inside. Go to the area where Dominique is, walk all the way left and sit in the chair. You should end up with a photograph of yourself. If the chest was open, and you can't get that item, your game is bugged. In that case, follow these instructions:

Stop watching right after that explanation, though. The video definitely contains spoilers.

Once you have the picture, you need to see the librarian to get some identification. This will allow you to continue through the train station, which is the area with blue lighting just underneath where you fought the boss. You have to go left, down, and then right again to get there.

Last edited:
I can't wait to play as Zengetsu. I am having trouble defeating Alfred. Almost got him yesterday! Any tips? I love this game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can't wait to play as Zengetsu. I am having trouble defeating Alfred. Almost got him yesterday! Any tips? I love this game.
I jumped behind him. He takes time to cast his magic, so I just use Welcoming Party, jump behind him and spam attack. You can go the opposite way when he runs to. Sometimes you'll catch up to him. I'd also ignore getting cursed. That was one attack I always waited to attack just because it shortens your HP and you have to wait for it to wear off or you'll get killed a lot faster. Try jumping over those white spheres that slow you down too.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Wow you can become ridiculously powerful late game by maxing the yellow shards. (When you max them out they become toggle-able passives that don’t require the shard to be equipped)

I just maxed augment INT/STR/LCK, Sword Expertise, and Optimizer, took me maybe an hour and a half total.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finished up the game a bit ago. Was at 99.1% map when I beat it, when back and knocked out the obvious areas and then used a secret room map to get it to 100%. Did all the optional bosses except for OD. Tried for like an hour but I just suck to bad to beat him and don't care to level or grind for a more powerful weapon given I have nothing else I want to do and no desire to play the game again. Sidequest wise I didn't finish the food related one or bringing the gear to the tombstone chick as that's grindy fetch quest nonsense.

A bit over 19 hours. I got my money's worth and enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away like some. As I said above, just makes it clear that I'm just not all that into the genre anymore. I'll probably stay away from it sans actual Metroid games going forward. And if Metroid Prime 4 doesn't blow me away I'll be done with the genre for good. :D

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Finished up the game a bit ago. Was at 99.1% map when I beat it, when back and knocked out the obvious areas and then used a secret room map to get it to 100%. Did all the optional bosses except for OD. Tried for like an hour but I just suck to bad to beat him and don't care to level or grind for a more powerful weapon given I have nothing else I want to do and no desire to play the game again. Sidequest wise I didn't finish the food related one or bringing the gear to the tombstone chick as that's grindy fetch quest nonsense.

A bit over 19 hours. I got my money's worth and enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away like some. As I said above, just makes it clear that I'm just not all that into the genre anymore. I'll probably stay away from it sans actual Metroid games going forward. And if Metroid Prime 4 doesn't blow me away I'll be done with the genre for good. :D
OD is piss easy just learn2eat cake

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
OD is piss easy just learn2eat cake

I admittedly suck at these kind of games and just brute forced most bosses with healing items and food. Can't beat him and I have no money left (well, I could sell shit shards etc.) as I spent it all stocking up on EX and high potions and what food I could craft and then saved before the fight. Like I said I suck, and no skin of my nose as pointless rewards since I have zero desire to touch the game again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I admittedly suck at these kind of games and just brute forced most bosses with healing items and food. Can't beat him and I have no money left (well, I could sell shit shards etc.) as I spent it all stocking up on EX and high potions and what food I could craft and then saved before the fight. Like I said I suck, and no skin of my nose as pointless rewards since I have zero desire to touch the game again.
google up money grind tips.
and brute force it.

igavania games beg to be broken
also the pay off beating him is so worth it

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
igavania games beg to be broken
also the pay off beating him is so worth it

Isn't it just:
being able to check out all the books at the same time?

If so, that's cool and all but moot for me given I wouldn't touch the game again after beating him as I'd left him for last and don't care to play it anymore.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
just submitted my survey. they let you choose up to 16 costume options, tho there is no visual for any of them. would make sense if they aren't even designed yet.

lachesis

Just finished my 1st run through, collected all the trophies.
I was surprised to fight the supposedly post game boss battle on my first run thru though.

Looks like the game has to offer a lot more if you dig in many creative ways like SOTN - but I basically stuck with whatever shards and weapons that I liked. (that crazy fast wind sword with, weak-ass-drama fire wall shard, and tess-opioid lightening shard)

All in all, it's been a very satisfying game. Hope the DLCs are interesting ones to ensure one more run-thru, and perhaps a sequel in the works in near future!

You know, while I really like Bloodstained, it's actually kinda made me appreciate Portrait of Ruin more for at least trying something different with the dual character mechanic rather than relying on the soul mechanic that Iga's used since Aria. (OoE's glyph system was basically souls cept you could use em for weapons)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finally started the game last weekend, and finished it today. Loved it. While I didn't think it was as good as SOTN, it's definitely my second favorite Igavania. I liked that it was basically a best-of of the mechanics from previous games... that, plus the giant castle kinda made it feel like the devs were making up for lost time. Playing this also made me realize that nothing's really replicated the feel of Iga's Castlevania games. There's something about the pacing and the mechanics that just feels so right.

For me, there are a couple things that let the game down a little bit. First, there's a couple times where you have to find some really obscure stuff to progress. I wish the game gave you a few more hints as to what you need to do at certain points. The bigger issue, though, is the aesthetics. The game ain't pretty. I mean, it usually looks fine, but some areas look pretty rough (like the opening area, with its rain effects) and the cinematics are just bad. Nothing I can't get over. The soundtrack, though, was a disappointment. It was fine, but I expected sooooo much more, especially given the pedigree. There were very few memorable tracks in the game, and nothing even approached the quality of SOTN or Lament of Innocence's soundtracks.

But, you can't have everything. Still had a great time with the game, and it's amazing to have Castlevania back. I've got high hopes for the inevitable sequel.

Finally started the game last weekend, and finished it today. Loved it. While I didn't think it was as good as SOTN, it's definitely my second favorite Igavania. I liked that it was basically a best-of of the mechanics from previous games... that, plus the giant castle kinda made it feel like the devs were making up for lost time. Playing this also made me realize that nothing's really replicated the feel of Iga's Castlevania games. There's something about the pacing and the mechanics that just feels so right.

For me, there are a couple things that let the game down a little bit. First, there's a couple times where you have to find some really obscure stuff to progress. I wish the game gave you a few more hints as to what you need to do at certain points. The bigger issue, though, is the aesthetics. The game ain't pretty. I mean, it usually looks fine, but some areas look pretty rough (like the opening area, with its rain effects) and the cinematics are just bad. Nothing I can't get over. The soundtrack, though, was a disappointment. It was fine, but I expected sooooo much more, especially given the pedigree. There were very few memorable tracks in the game, and nothing even approached the quality of SOTN or Lament of Innocence's soundtracks.

But, you can't have everything. Still had a great time with the game, and it's amazing to have Castlevania back. I've got high hopes for the inevitable sequel.

I liked the OST and the aesthetic (though I'm playing on PC with max settings)

However my biggest gripe is probably that with a few exceptions that a good portion of the bosses just aren't as good as Iga's previous titles. Specifically some of the bosses you fight to gain new abilities like the stained glass hand or the boss for the double jump or reflector ray.

I dunno if it's just from playing on normal but some of em just kinda jumped around and did nothing. Which is really kinda odd considering Curse of the Moon had amazing bossfights.

dcx4610

I thought the story was awful and I didn't like the food/crafting system but other than that, it's one of the best Metroidvania games I've ever played. Gameplay wise, it really sucked me in. I expected just a basic indie title but it's very well polished and the graphics were really impressive at times. The music is very good as well.

Easily recommended to anyone that likes Metroidvania games. I've struggled to find to find a game I can play next that can follow it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm just sayin', in terms of music, I wanted more of this:

Or this:

This, too:

Or crazier stuff like this:

What we got was fine, but it didn't transport you like really great game music does. Those first three songs, in particular, channel that gothic feel so absurdly well. Bloodstained's tracks were just kinda there. Totally inoffensive. Oddly enough, a lot of it just sounded like a pale imitation of an Ys game, which was... unexpected.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
i cannot understand why the Switch Version dont have some elements.

I mean

Nintendo Switch can run games like this

XenobladeChroniclesX.jpg

450_1000.jpg

141327-games-buyer-s-guide-best-upcoming-nintendo-switch-games-to-look-forward-to-image1-3mkxaepun2.jpg

how can you say that certain elements cannot be in Bloodstained like a simple rain effect? is illogical,

The real thing is that they dont know or are unable to optimize, which is a different matter.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Switch didn't run XBX, brah. And you're nuttier than squirrel shit if you think W3 is going to look like that on the Switch.

But regarding Bloodstained, did they ever send out the Backer DLC that was promised?

I beat the game two weeks ago. My general impression are it delivered on the promise of being a Castlevania-style 2D action-adventure, but was otherwise an average experience. Of the related games where Igarashi was the undisputed head, I'd still say Aria of Sorrow, and maybe Dawn of Sorrow, were more satisfying.

As for the Switch's inferiority, I'd wager it's simply the result of being a rushed port. If the game hadn't needed to release at relatively the same time as the other versions, it probably would have been a much more comparable product. Potentially on the upside, Bloodstained finally has a Japanese release date of 10/24/19, given the publisher(s) some legitimate incentive, and the developers time, to support continued work on the Switch version, even beyond the already promised patches. I'll be interested to see whether the relevant parties feel there are enough sales left in the Switch edition to fund bringing it more inline with its counterparts.

But regarding Bloodstained, did they ever send out the Backer DLC that was promised?
The DLC was available to backers on PC day-one (or right abouts); it dropped on the Switch last week and backers should have received their access codes; it remains MIA on PS4 & XB, with backers yet to receive any real idea on why it's taking so long and when it will hopefully be available. For reference, PS4 & XB backers were originally told the DLC would be available the week of July 3rd.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the reason for the iffy port is that the game wasn't developed with the system in mind. in fact Wii U was a stretch goal, and was dropped halfway through development when the Switch was released. the console came out literally in the middle of them working on the game. if they had planned on it from the beginning the issues may have been avoided but unfortunately things worked out the way they did.

that said, i don't think they did too bad a job. in portable mode it looks really good and the changes are barely noticable.

JohannCK

The game went on sale in Japan today, and most people who wanted it have bought it, if for some reason they didn't already buy the US release which already has Japanese language options implemented and has been on sale in import and online stores for about the same price for months.

I say most people because crowdfunding backers will get the game "in the coming weeks".

Hello everyone,

We have an update to provide you regarding delivery of Japanese copies of the game to backers both in Japan and globally. Copies of the game have begun shipping this week, and will continue to do so in the coming weeks, depending on platform and circumstantial logistics. XB1 copies will be the first to arrive, and PS4 & Switch Japanese copies of the game for backers outside of Japan will be arriving last. We will also be sending digital copies of the game as soon as they’re available in the coming weeks. If you don’t receive your package or a shipping confirmation right away there’s no cause for concern, it’s just the normal processing of the production queue. We will also be providing all backers with an extra digital copy of the game for your respective platform to thank you for your patience and apologize for these unexpected delays.

For any other backer support requests, please contact Fangamer at orders@fangamer.com.

- The Bloodstained team at 505 Games, ArtPlay, GSE, and Fangamer

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Ok I guess I am about 60-65% of the way through the Castle. I am a huge Castlevania and i have beaten CV 1, 3, 4, Bloodlines, SOTN, CotM, HoD, AoS, DoS and PoR. I have not yet played Order of Ecclesea, and I havent beaten the original Dracula X from NeoGeo. I have also beaten the 8bit Bloodstained.

I would say first that this Bloodstained RotN is a worthy successor of course. The game looks and plays great. I love the upgrade system, love the NPCs, the RPG elements, the game has everything a new CV game should have.

The negatives - while parts of hte game do look good, there is sometimes it looks a bit "indie" and not made by a big studio. Hopefully this problem can be rectified for the sequel. Also I did notice some graphical glitches and other jank when using certian items and abilities. The bosses were a bit of a let down. While the blood queen was great I fought 2 or 3 generic cyber demons in a row, that was odd. I thought there wasnt enought 2.5D elements, could have used more. Also the castle feels a tad small.

Anyways I still have a lot more to play but I wanted to get some preliminary thoughts down. So far very fun I am having a blast playing this game.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
The idea of Dracula X for Neo Geo is actually pretty awesome. Would have loved to see this. You were thinking of the PC Engine or SNES game of course.

Yes of course! I almost bought a Turbo Duo and the imported game years ago before it started getting a western release (I am not talking about hte inferior SNES version). Really need to beat that one day. Glaring hole in my Castlevania history.

cireza

Yes of course! I almost bought a Turbo Duo and the imported game years ago before it started getting a western release (I am not talking about hte inferior SNES version). Really need to beat that one day. Glaring hole in my Castlevania history.
You should give the X68000 game a try, pretty awesome game as well.

Davey Cakes

I've been enjoying this on PC. Bought it at a discount, even prior to the Steam Summer Sale.

Like any Metroidvania, you wonder about when the game will give you the abilities to traverse areas more easily. In Bloodstained, you get a double jump eventually. You get the ability turn yourself into a beam of light. You get the ability to push yourself through the water. You get the ability to sink in water.

Always wondering "when can I turn myself into a bat and just fly through all this shit?"

I just got the shard that lets you reverse gravity...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom