• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Press Preview Impressions (16/03/2015)

Apathy

Can you stop? This topic isn't about Driveclub, and yes Jeff Gerstmann being able to change colors on a car would've deffffinitely changed his review score... /s

This isn't the OT, we were discussing something. If you don't like my post no one is making you read it.

Driveclub was chastised in the Eurogamer review because it was not open world like fh2, and on giant bomb because gerstmann was too dumb to find how to change a cars colour he said there was no customization. You really believe that the scores it got were not lower because of shit like that?

There is customization, but it's not anywhere near the level that other games have been providing for years. I can understand people liking track based games instead of open world, but it works the other way as well. However, when it comes to something like customization, one is objectively better than the other.

Games have never been and will never be reviewed in a bubble. Once something as basic as replays is not implemented in a racing game, it should be penalized for that. Driveclub launched as a bare bones broken game lacking basic features that have been standards in racing games for more than a decade. Those things have nothing to do open world vs track based.

This entire generation has been nothing but the PS4 community whining about every little thing. It's ridiculous. The games for both Xbox One and PS4 so far just haven't been that great. That's not to say I haven't had fun with many of them, but it's just frustrating seeing 50 plus page review threads for every PS4 exclusive that doesn't get 100's across the board.

You know what's going to happen tomorrow if Bloodborne doesn't score incredibly well?

There will be tons of people who have barely played the game rushing to defend it as the best game ever. The same people who have played it far less than reviewers will bitch and moan about how reviews mean nothing, how reviewers are idiots, or how it's some conspiracy against PS4 exclusives. Their opinions formed after a few hours will be worth more.

We've seen it before and if we don't see above 90 on metacritic immediately, we will see it again.

Apathy

Thats fine- the idea of some grand anti-ps4 conspiracy, or even bias, is crazy though.

And I'm not saying there is. Knack wasa mediocre game at best, little big planet 3 was worse than the others, but driveclub got hit bad by reviews for little things, but games like MCC get off without a hitch. That is all I was bringing up

nib95

Banned
Thats fine- the idea of some grand anti-ps4 conspiracy, or even bias, is crazy though.

I don't think most believe there is some anti PS4 conspiracy, rather it's a question of disagreeing vehemently with the opinions of many reviewers or journalists, and more so with some of the harsher reasoning offered. A sense that many of them are simply out of touch with the opinions of many of us core gamers, that frequent forums such as GAF.

I feel like Driveclub will go down as one of the most criminally underrated games in the opinion of many. Clearly there is a popular sense of disbelief and immense disagreement about the way the game was received, but I do agree, this isn't really the thread to discuss that.

finalflame

I don't think most believe there is some anti PS4 conspiracy, rather it's a question of disagreeing vehemently with the opinions of many reviewers or journalists, and more so with some of the harsher reasoning offered. A sense that many of them are simply out of touch with the opinions of many of us core gamers, that frequent forums such as GAF.

I feel like Driveclub will go down as one of the most criminally underrated games in the opinion of many. Clearly there is a popular sense of disbelief and immense disagreement about the way the game was received, but I do agree, this isn't really the thread to discuss that.

I own a PS4 and love it as much as the next guy, but a reviewer's job is not to represent the opinions of core gamers. It's to present their opinion, and whether you agree with it or not, it's what they think.

Driveclub might be a good game, but quite honestly, it does not have a lot of depth or customization. It's a set of pretty tracks and pretty cars that can be driven around online or off. Why would it be criminally underrated for what it is? Because it has amazing rain drop physics that look great? So what, there's more to a racing game in this day and age than pretty visuals. In order to stay interesting, it has to do a number of things really, really well. Driveclub does not give a sense of open world exploration and arcadey fun (FH2) or have accurate enough handling to be considered a contender with hardcore driving simulators, where people truly just want to drive around a track over and over again.

Driveclub truly does not do anything unique or propel the genre forward in any significant way. Add that to significant and crippling launch woes, and you have a recipe for mediocre reviews through and through. It's a pretty game, and a decent racer, but people should stop trying to make it into something it's not. The game feels like a barebone, pretty racer. It's not underrated because it didn't score 8s and 9s for just being pretty.

Honestly, as off topic as this is to the thread, it's a little bothersome to see people think the quality of PS4 titles are being misrepresented; they're really not, and even if you think they are, then it's your prerogative to stop following reviewers who's scoring philosophy you fundamentally disagree with. Or just stop caring about reviews and play games you like.

Myggen

Can't we wait until at least the reviews hit to complain about reviews? Let's get hyped about Bloodborne instead!

Ignore my avatar.

PBY

Banned

I just think most people don't even think about Driveclub at all tbh.

JesusSama

Neo Member
Oh hey, account got validated and can finally post. Awesome stuff.

Just want to thank GAF as I've been lurking for probably longer then I care to admit. Ever since Beast Souls was leaked, I've been hyped on this game. I think I've been looking forward to this game more than Uncharted 4/MGS5. I can't believe the wait is almost over. After putting so many hours into Dark Souls and Dark Souls II, this new direction with more gothic/Lovecraftian/Renaissance asthetic is refreshing. Read almost every single preview I can get my hands on (Because I'm weak and can't media blackout myself), and look forward to glorious Bloodborne co-oping and PvPing.

And that being said, I'll probably be back in like 5 months after Bloodborne consumes all my free time.

Have the update and the game download. The game download was only around 5 GB though.

In the eurgamer article it says it's a 29 GB download. o_O I'm confused.

When you download the first 5GB, you can play the game and the rest is downloading and installing in the background. You can check it by pressing the options button.

finalflame

Oh hey, account got validated and can finally post. Awesome stuff.

Just want to thank GAF as I've been lurking for probably longer then I care to admit. Ever since Beast Souls was leaked, I've been hyped on this game. I think I've been looking forward to this game more than Uncharted 4/MGS5. I can't believe the wait is almost over. After putting so many hours into Dark Souls and Dark Souls II, this new direction with more gothic/Lovecraftian/Renaissance asthetic is refreshing. Read almost every single preview I can get my hands on (Because I'm weak and can't media blackout myself), and look forward to glorious Bloodborne co-oping and PvPing.

And that being said, I'll probably be back in like 5 months after Bloodborne consumes all my free time.

Welcome! Get aboard the hype train like a good gaffer, and let's ride this thing all the way to release time. CHOO CHOO.

Derpyduck

Banned

You said the same thing about The Order. You were wrong then too. I'm part of this mysterious "core" you speak of, and I think the Order sucks. I also think Driveclub is incredibly limited and deserved its average score. I also think it's a fun game.

I just think most people don't even think about Driveclub at all tbh.

This is true.

Have the update and the game download. The game download was only around 5 GB though.

In the eurgamer article it says it's a 29 GB download. o_O I'm confused.

It's downloading the rest in the background. Hit Options over the Bloodborne icon and go to Information. Should show how much is left, if any.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah! My ban ended just in time for the hype.

I reckon I'm going with that skill based build. I always make the mistake of going with brawl over finesse.

finalflame

Yeah! My ban ended just in time for the hype.

I reckon I'm going with that skill based build. I always make the mistake of going with brawl over finesse.

Lucky. My previous ban lasted through the N3DS launch, was painful seeing all the discussion (while logged out) but not being able to partake :/

I think I'll go pure physical power. I never seem to mesh the first time around with casting builds in the Souls game. I'll save that for a separate playthrough.

Zaventem

Do you guys think bloodtinge ups gun damage to significant levels? every stream i've seen that stat is never leveled and the guns are only used for stunning.

Z3M0G

Pretty much impossible at this point, but what would it mean if Bloodbourne turned out to be a bad game and reviewed quite badly?

Don't know why people are so worried about reviews. They are so predictable. Guarantee some site will give it lower than a 6 to be edgy and I bet there will be a few 6's and 7's, because that is how the current review climate is. Will that affect my enjoyment? No way, but it will validate some concern trolls and that the review thread will center around that for pages.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Lucky. My previous ban lasted through the N3DS launch, was painful seeing all the discussion (while logged out) but not being able to partake :/

I think I'll go pure physical power. I never seem to mesh the first time around with casting builds in the Souls game. I'll save that for a separate playthrough.

My problem is I'm nearly 57 and my reactions show it. That's why I favour brawn or ridiculously high levelling. From what I've seen though, you'll need some 'skill' to beat some of these enemies anyway, so even at a higher level with lots of strength, you're going to struggle to 'bash' your way through.

This was just posted by PlaystationEU. Are these comments from reviews?

CAy7WtgWAAAImkE.jpg
ah, very nice.

finalflame

My problem is I'm nearly 57 and my reactions show it. That's why I favour brawn or ridiculously high levelling. From what I've seen though, you'll need some 'skill' to beat some of these enemies anyway, so even at a higher level with lots of strength, you're going to struggle to 'bash' your way through.

Definitely, need skill and practice to beat tough enemies in all the souls games! I just like huge, hard hitting weapons. Always went for strength builds in my first playthroughs of Souls games, think I'll do something similar here. Admittedly, I've blacked myself out from media/impressions enough to have no idea how builds and stats work in this game, and don't want to hear about it until I experience it for myself.

Pretty darn excited.

prwxv3

Don't know why people are so worried about reviews. They are so predictable. Guarantee some site will give it lower than a 6 to be edgy and I bet there will be a few 6's and 7's, because that is how the current review climate is. Will that affect my enjoyment? No way, but it will validate some concern trolls and that the review thread will center around that for pages.

Anyone that gloats over 7-8 scores should be fucking embarrassed.

Top Bottom