• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Announces Yearly Paid Expansions for Diablo 4

EruditeHobo

I don’t really have a problem with yearly expansions if they’re really fully-fledged. I mean, why not? I’m not thrilled at the end-game state the game is in at all, but I’ve certainly gotten my money’s worth so far.

Kneejerk idiocy, is why not.

It's pretty simple -- they either offer value (via seasons, or expansions, or both) or they don't. I played through D4 a couple times, and for 70 bucks I definitely got my money's worth. Especially since the season didn't cost me anything. But guess what? I got bored... mostly because I'm not that into the seasons model. So what did I do?? Seemed pretty obvious... I stopped playing! It's really not that complicated. And I personally won't be back unless one of the expansions looks incredible, or a new future class looks incredible.

It's still a good game! Sometimes it's hard to make a game that continues to be interesting to play for a number of years, that's all. Most devs would struggle with that task.

But coming down (philosophically) on a dev trying to find ways to include tons of new content, while also working to identify a more financially sustainable AAA model to alleviate the reality that even if a game launches well you still might only be a handful of months from layoffs... it's just pathetic. It's a competitive space, people having a problem with any movement or exploration with how to offer value that people will pay for are just out of touch with the people actually making these games, and the difficulty of the market.

Fabieter

Give me meaty expansions every 2 to 3 years. I already know what the content of some of those expansions will look like.

squarealex

You already know this is bad fking idea and never come to Blizzard at 2000-2015...

That's mean, OW2 will be soon dying bc needed developpers to create some content EACH years for Diablo 4, Also some developpers will be on the new IP Survival thing... and other from World of Warcraft Classic / Retail.

- HeartStone ?
- Starcraft ?
- Warcraft ?
- Heroes ?
- Overwatch ?

Yeah, Blizzard is very fking dead.
It's amazing how Diablo have nothing before 2018 and now killed the company with Immortal, Diablo 2, Diablo 4 and all Toxic Staff stuff.

Last edited:

badblue

Drooling over Elden Ring expansion.
Elden Ring costs $70. Has no in game real money shop or battle pass.
Pitchforks over Diablo IV expansion.
Diablo costs $70, has an in game shop with cosmetics costing $20, a $10 battlepass every few months.

Make it make sense people!

Calculate Figure It Out GIF

Minsc

Gold Member
So many complaints from the season thread were people who wanted expansions. Well guess you can't win no matter what.

They should just make it a F2P game and monetize it like PoE.

xrnzaaas

I'm a casual hack'n'slash player so I'm not an expert on the topic, but I still don't think you can create a high quality and big enough Diablo expansion within just one year. They should take their time instead of planning a strict release schedule.

Hudo

The only positive thing about Diablo 4 for me is that it made me play Diablo 1. And it's fucking fun! (I mean Diablo 1)

Last edited:

Montauk

Can you leave a corporation money in your will? I’d like to give Activision Blizzard all of my assets when I die.

Am I missing something? Why is this a bad thing?

I’m saying this as a casual Diablo player that has only played main campaigns + expansions and has replayed them every couple of years.

Edit: I haven’t played Diablo IV yet but I plan on buying it within the next 6 months

Last edited:
gross jeff goldblum GIF

writing was on the wall with the beta

It's amazing how Diablo have nothing before 2018 and now killed the company with Immortal, Diablo 2, Diablo 4 and all Toxic Staff stuff.

you leave diablo 2: re out of this. if anything that game extended the life of blizzard

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Elden Ring costs $70. Has no in game real money shop or battle pass.

Diablo costs $70, has an in game shop with cosmetics costing $20, a $10 battlepass every few months.

Calculate Figure It Out GIF

Why are we docking points for developers who create optional cosmetic content again? You can play the full D4 experience without spending any extra money. It's there for people who value that stuff.

The backlash still doesn't make sense.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I actually am hopeful the expansion will be good. They stated they have leapfrog teams working on their content. There’s an odd team for seasons and an even one. For expansions there is a separate team too. So if they leapfrog expansions then they’ll get 2 year development cycles. It could also cause issues like with CoD where certain years the specific teams are known for less awesome titles.

All that said if they do something like a 15-20 hour campaign with a new class, some substantial new items, bosses , and end game content introductions im all in.

The core focus though is the base game now with the seasonal teams focus before then to bring the game to a point of having a great foundation. Currently 1-50 is gold. 50-70 is “ok”, and 70+ is pointless. If they can fix that level 50+ to have purpose and enjoyable content to play regularly prior to an expansion they’ll be set. This will show they didn’t charge to fix the game. Instead it’ll be laying onto a great base product. As it should be.

Diablo 4 made me go back to playing 2 regularly and even spawned some great nostalgia for 3. I'll finish 4 eventually, but right now I find myself more excited for Path of Exile 2.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Why are we docking points for developers who create optional cosmetic content again? You can play the full D4 experience without spending any extra money. It's there for people who value that stuff.

The backlash still doesn't make sense.
Because it should be included in a 70EUR game. Why again do I look like a in game hobo after completing the game? To sell me on 20EUR cosmetics. Its a detriment to the game. And please dont try the "but looks dont matter in games" bs. If that was the case character creation in most RPG would not be a thing if personal stylistic expression in an RPG was worthless to players...

D4 will have a Battlepass system, yearly payed DLC, payed Cosmetics and costs 70EUR... its every kind of monetization under the sun... it should be f2p at this point.

Von Hugh

Why are people ceying about having an expansion every year? I havnt got the game but an expansion every year sounds neat, especially considering blizz does good on expansions
You will gladly pay for content every year that is just glorified DLC? Or content that should have been a part of the game already from launch?

Make no mistake, Blizzard just wants the whales to pay up 200 dollars more for the game in the form of expansions. If Overwatch 2 is a full sequel by Blizzard's standard, an expansion by them is just a minor DLC.

Zheph

This is such a bad idea smh
they need more time than a year to flesh some good stuff

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I am at the point now where I wont buy games made by public companies outside of deep deep discount because this is the standard practice.

Which is unfortunate when a game is good, but fine when it's mid like this.

Thank fuck Larian are still independent, lol

Last edited:

Gojiira

So a unfinished game at full price, with the shittest battle pass ever, now getting mandatory premium expansions on top of ridiculous cash shop…Lmao sorry but you morons who bought this,DESERVE this, maybe if you voted with your wallet Blizzard wouldn’t cuck you.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Expansions for most games have never been free.

They’ve also not been annualized, alongside quarterly Season Passes.

When Blizzard talks letting us down with supporting Diablo 3, what they really mean is they regret not milking the shit out of the fanbase.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
They’ve also not been annualized, alongside quarterly Season Passes.

When Blizzard talks letting us down with supporting Diablo 3, what they really mean is they regret not milking the shit out of the fanbase.
If the expansions are meaty like the old ones, with a campaign and new maps.....then great. I'll pay. No one is telling you to pay for a season or battle pass. Quit crying you baby!

Top Bottom