• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Announces Yearly Paid Expansions for Diablo 4

Laieon

Edit: Whoops, double post.

I don’t game on PC too much but I have a boat load of games on Steam downloaded and Grim Dawn is one of them. I haven’t got around to playing it yet…how is the solo experience?

Grim Dawn is incredible on PC, you'll have a ton of fun with it.

It's the only game I've ever refunded on console though, it's playable but the text was ridiculously tiny to the point where it just felt like an afterthought of a port. The Devs said in a Reddit post that it was on their list of things to address at some point, but as recently as June when I last tried it at a friends it still hadn't actually been touched upon.

Last edited:

Pop

Blizzard has fell off hard in recent years. I bought into the hype with this game, which I don't regret.

Story is pretty good, leveling to 70ish is good. Anything else after that has been not so good. Really dropped the ball on seasons

Saber

Gold Member
Exactly what D4 ever needed.

It's aways the fucking same, supporters be like "I don't have a problem" or "I don't mind", and then they whip the shit out with cancer stuff. I feel like people who think that way deserve this kind of treatment.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t really want to spend another dime beyond a proper expansion for Diablo IV. I think I paid enough and the game is uninstalled for now. I’ll come back when there’s a reason to.

Ozzie666

The sad thing is, if you take away the microtransaction systems from Diablo Immortal, it's actually a better playing game., I'd argue more fun at it's core. Usually i'd be there day 1 for real expansions, now I am not so sure. I couldn't even stand season 1 to finish it compleletey. How many expansions until we get to fight the real Diablo in Heaven or Hell. Season 2 doesn't look much better, I won't be buying any battle passes ever again.

Remember: this isn't blizzard, this is the animated corpse of blizzard. All the people who made the things you used to love are gone.

I personally hope they go under, though I know it is extremely unlikely.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I'm not exactly opening my wallet up to pre-order here. If what they have on offer seems worthwhile to me, I'll buy it. I'm just saying I'm not likely to buy it unless it's similar in size and scope to their previous expansion (like Reaper of Souls size DLC for D3). Kind of like how I've completely ignored the cosmetic shop because the prices are astronomical for what you get - if these are the same I'll just also ignore them.
I’m with you! I just don’t see them putting out something heavy content wise for the price. I hope I’m wrong and it would be welcome if they did…I just don’t see it happening.

gatti-man

I want to defend this but I can’t. This is the same shit destiny does and there just isn’t enough content to justify the money spent. Period.

If these were actually old school real expansions and seasons with real meaningful content I’d be first in line to defend it. Because devs deserve to be paid but this is just shit come on.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I'm loving the solo experience, I love playing as necromancer in titles like this and being able to cross class with a magician is just so much fun. I'm buffing my summons and doing serious damage to everything because of build decisions that aren't artificially limiting.

It's truly single player first and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a Diablo fix that isn't being satisfied anymore and I stand by that
I’m going to jump in at some point once a heavy sale hits. I figure at that point the patches will have made it more my cup of tea. I am primarily a single player guy, so thanks for the info coming from the single player perspective!

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Edit: Whoops, double post.

Grim Dawn is incredible on PC, you'll have a ton of fun with it.

It's the only game I've ever refunded on console though, it's playable but the text was ridiculously tiny to the point where it just felt like an afterthought of a port. The Devs said in a Reddit post that it was on their list of things to address at some point, but as recently as June when I last tried it at a friends it still hadn't actually been touched upon.
I didn’t even realize it had released on console to be honest. If I did, there’s a possibility I would have caved on ps5, but I’m glad you said something. Tiny font is the worst shit ever in a video game lol

DavidGzz

It's wild to me that D3 got hate for not enough support and D4 is getting the same for continued support(they are even doing patches mid-season which D3 NEVER got). It was a full featured campaign and took many 15-50 hours to complete depending on side quests. They had a demo and you still bought it. It's on you if you didn't get what you paid for. There are 10-hour Resident Evil games or what have you that cost the same amount of money. It's like the in thing to do to bitch incessantly about games

Flutta

Banned
I mean you get what you deserve i don’t blame Blizzard or any other pup or studio who does this. This what you get for signing up to their GaaS shit. Well enjoy 🤪

Shodai

Blizzard coming out saying they are going to ask for more money...when the base game is ridiculously unfinished. Ok then.

If you cannot understand why people are down on expansion talk then I dunno what to say.

well, to wait until they release a "get everything edition" in some years to play the story and never see it again for a cheaper price.

bender

What time is it?
I thought the cosmetic shop was to help fund additional content?

nba-jimmy-butler.gif

Xenon

I'm pretty sure eventually Blizzard will be sending their employees out with water bottles and rags to wipe down people's monitor and TV screens.

gothmog

Gold Member
I do love threads about these GaaS games. It's the only place where you see people who spent in some cases hundreds of hours playing a game asking for a refund with a straight face.

Pimpbaa

I thought the cosmetic shop was to help fund additional content?

nba-jimmy-butler.gif

Maybe just for seasonal content (I mean really, how many people buy that pointless shit?). I’m assuming this yearly expansions would be something more meaty like expanding the game world, new classes, tons of new gear, and fighting some prime evils. Or at least I’m hoping.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
They fucked this game up more than they did Diablo 3. They are no longer the competent Publisher/Studios they once were. Shipping solid product after solid product. Those days are done and we're left with a company that appears to be chaotic, behind the scenes. Ships unfinished products, over-balances shit, destroying player choice. Releasing what was supposed to be the game that made up for Diablo 3... Diablo 4 is an extremely repetitive, shallow, DEAD fucking game that is basically one and done. Period.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I was at one time looking forward to this game. But as more things came to light around the grind and monetisation, I've lost any interest. The Act Man did an interesting video on it all, around the game design:

I hope he does another video after this announcement.

Salz01

I might get shit for this but, D3 held my interest a lot longer than D4. Especially with D3s expansion. D4‘s world and dungeons bores me. I kind of miss D3s artstyle. It took too long for them to fix Barb, and Starfield is just sucking up all my time now. I’m not paying them 20 bucks for a fucking skin either.

The joke keeps getting funnier. LOL

Go blizzard, give the retards that bought your little shit game the hardest of times.

They deserved it.

StereoVsn

But I'm sure the Gamepass version will be vanilla Diablo 4. Without the $600 dollars of expansions and microtransactions included, but ready for you to buy.
I am sure it will, but there are better games to play and even vanilla will give you a feeling to how the game is.

PeteBull

preordered d4 back in december, not touching it again after 150h+ hours played(lvl 77 summon necro) till proper expack(so not just new season with barely any or none meaningful changes) that properly fixed biggest d4 flaw- really bad itemisation, linear progression and 0 dopamine rush when u find new gear, till then my money stays in my wallet or/and i spend it on other promising games, for example new expack thats coming to quality hack and slash game- grim dawn

Last edited:

Hudo

And people called me retarded when I said that they will most likely try to offset their failings with WoW with Diablo 4. It's a service-based game through and through.

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

Absolutely nothing wrong with what they're doing.
It isn't what they are saying that mattered. It is the fact that it is not tenable. Yearly roadmaps are not bad in itself, but the fact that the game industry can't EVER perform and deliver consistantly, means that all these long term plans FAIL.

You simply can't promise quality yearly content. Not even Nintendo managed that. It is a pipe dream to say that you can deliver consistant new gaming experiences when it has never EVER been achieved. By anyone.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It isn't what they are saying that mattered. It is the fact that it is not tenable. Yearly roadmaps are not bad in itself, but the fact that the game industry can't EVER perform and deliver consistantly, means that all these long term plans FAIL.

You simply can't promise quality yearly content. Not even Nintendo managed that. It is a pipe dream to say that you can deliver consistant new gaming experiences when it has never EVER been achieved. By anyone.

Tons of GAAS games deliver quality yearly content. You have to leave the "GAAS bad" bubble because you're only fed negative GAAS stories that way, which skews your perspective.

Diablo IV looks like a relatively basic game which should help Blizzard (arguably the best GAAS developer in history) achieve it's goal here.

And anyways, who cares if they don't reach their goal? Play something else until their delayed content arrives. Hardly any games today release on their initial release date. Play it when it comes out if the content appeals to you.

The GAAS bad bubble is not healthy.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?
These people made a product to try and extract as much money from people as possible in underhand ways, and keep doing it over various products..

If people like this in their hobby then by all means, they are entitled

Some just see them for the shysters they are though. It's not even close to the spirit of gaming.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
These people made a product to try and extract as much money from people as possible in underhand ways, and keep doing it over various products..

If people like this in their hobby then by all means, they are entitled

Some just see them for the shysters they are though. It's not even close to the spirit of gaming.

False.

They made a critically acclaimed game that sold well and has healthy player engagement metrics.

They're already far ahead of most at this point.

Why aren't they allowed to create new content and sell it? This take is truly baffling.

PS: Every studio making games today is trying to extract as much money as possible from players. Welcome to the free market. It's created a hobby all of us love.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
False.

They made a critically acclaimed game that sold well and has healthy player engagement metrics.

They're already far ahead of most at this point.

Why aren't they allowed to create new content and sell it? This take is truly baffling.
I'm not saying that they cant, I'm saying that Blizzards methods are pretty shitty

And as I also said, if people like these methods then fair play to them.

Their last great Diablo was 2, there is zero point saying many love D4 and trying to make that as a point of constitution, many people love Lizzo but we're not putting posters of her up in our rooms. People always popularize shitty things 🤷‍♂️

Modern Blizzard are shit, old Blizzard got what gaming was about, it's just a cash cow now. Just carry on paying if it's good.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm not saying that they cant, I'm saying that Blizzards methods are pretty shitty

And as I also said, if people like these methods then fair play to them.

Their last great Diablo was 2, there is zero point saying many love D4 and trying to make that as a point of constitution, many people love Lizzo but we're not putting posters of her up in our rooms. People always popularize shitty things 🤷‍♂️

Modern Blizzard are shit, old Blizzard got what gaming was about, it's just a cash cow now. Just carry on paying if it's good.

Camp 1:
You say Diablo IV is bad.

vs.

Camp 2:
Diablo IV being critically acclaimed, selling well, having great player engagement, and crushing Diablo 2 in the time machine test.

Hmmm...who is right?

Last edited:

Elitro

The campaign was fine, the endgame is not.

Unless they completely revamp the endgame i don't see myself getting any of these expansions.

Also next year PoE2 will be out, these expansions will have to be really good if they want to get people on board again.

Shut0wen

Why are people ceying about having an expansion every year? I havnt got the game but an expansion every year sounds neat, especially considering blizz does good on expansions

Top Bottom