• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda reiterates Elder Scrolls 6 news is likely ‘years away’

Perrott

Gold Member
They didn't want to announce it, but fans have been asking them constantly on Twitter and every social forum ever, 'WHERE IS TESVI?!' nonstop for pretty much 7 years. So after nearly a decade of this, they decided to just respond 'one time' to confirm that yes, it's coming for pete's sake (no pun intended), just in a very, very far off time from now (which is what they'd always been saying ever since around '15, but hey, hooray for a 10-second concept art sneak peek).

They still have Starfield, then after Starfield, one other AAA-sized game. Then after that, The Elder Scrolls VI. It's probably coming out at 2025 at the earliest..!!
2025 at the earliest? Hell no.

Pete Hines already teased at a three years gap between Fallout 76, Starfield and TESVI, which means that Starfield is expected to come out next year and Elder Scrolls in 2024, with 2025 being the worst case scenario if the game gets delayed.

Andodalf

Banned
That's only when the game engine is actually working properly. Seems to me like every new BGS game that's released has more and more engine related issues. That's why I think the rumors regarding Starfield are true.

I'd say it's more that they've always been buggy and people tend to simply forget some of the jank of older games. The most broken games on the engine, by far, are 76 and new vegas, the two games which had development that BGS assisted on vs being the main dev. While the games have issues for sure, the main BGS team seems to be the most competent at having the games be playable.

While I'm hopefully new games eliminate scripting errors as much as possible (I lost 40 hours of 360 Skyrim because I stopped a quest in the middle and came back to find it broken), the physics jank and many things that go along with it might not be possible to fix. People keep saying they just need a new engine and that other companies could make a better one, but no company has ever made anything similar. And given how successful they are, you'd think somebody would try.

Yes. But CDPR are really the only devs out there that are competing with Beth. You could say Obsidian, but their latest game won't be remembered ten years from now like New Vegas.

The Witcher never let you make your own character. I hated playing as monotone Geralt among other things. 2077 looks promising. But again, that game won't allow you to build things and do all the other cool shit you can do in a Beth title. Still... They do murder Beth in just about every other aspect of game design.

Outer Worlds is just way too small and static to compare to New Vegas or any BGS title. I think of it more like Kotor 2, but it's even a bit smaller than that title. Excited to see what they do with a AAA budget. It will be interesting to see if BGS can claim a graphics crown again. I remember when Skyrim was considered one of the Best looking games around, and now people think of BGS games as ugly.

They should sell it to another company that actually wants to make it.

Disregarding how insanely dumb it is to think BGS doesn't care about the Elder Scrolls, what company would you have make it? Obsidian in the only company with any experience on games that feel particularly similar, and they're quite busy

Arachnid

elder-scrolls-6-1024x477.jpg

On Sunday Bethesda’s SVP of global marketing, Pete Hines, suggested that fans were unlikely to hear about TES6 until work on Starfield was completed.

Hines tweeted:

In a previous interview, Bethesda Game Studios director Todd Howard said that Starfield would likely occupy the attention of its studios for a period of time.

Jesus.

They shouldn't have put out a teaser in 2018 if we're not getting any info for years to come at this point.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Honestly I do hope it's years away. The main problem with Fallout 4 and 76 is due to them rushing the projects and putting them out before they were ready. Bethesda needs to take it's time and make sure they get this right.

Devs needs to stop worrying about getting things out quickly and start caring about putting out a good product.

Last edited:

Fbh

Nice of them to specify they are talking about 6 in particular...... because you know we'll be hearing about the super duper ultimatest final remix edition of Skyrim next year

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
I'd say it's more that they've always been buggy and people tend to simply forget some of the jank of older games. The most broken games on the engine, by far, are 76 and new vegas, the two games which had development that BGS assisted on vs being the main dev. While the games have issues for sure, the main BGS team seems to be the most competent at having the games be playable.

While I'm hopefully new games eliminate scripting errors as much as possible (I lost 40 hours of 360 Skyrim because I stopped a quest in the middle and came back to find it broken), the physics jank and many things that go along with it might not be possible to fix. People keep saying they just need a new engine and that other companies could make a better one, but no company has ever made anything similar. And given how successful they are, you'd think somebody would try.

Outer Worlds is just way too small and static to compare to New Vegas or any BGS title. I think of it more like Kotor 2, but it's even a bit smaller than that title. Excited to see what they do with a AAA budget. It will be interesting to see if BGS can claim a graphics crown again. I remember when Skyrim was considered one of the Best looking games around, and now people think of BGS games as ugly.

Disregarding how insanely dumb it is to think BGS doesn't care about the Elder Scrolls, what company would you have make it? Obsidian in the only company with any experience on games that feel particularly similar, and they're quite busy
The unofficial patch has helped tremendously on console. But even then it's still quite buggy. Fallout 4 more so than Fallout 3, in my opinion. That's not even bringing up the major performance issues that are starting to become more apparent with that engine as well.

I'd like them to focus on making a new engine. Even the modders say they want it to happen. Beth obviously doesn't want to put the work into making it happen and they probably don't want to spend the money either.

The thing is, if they continue to drag their feet the rest of the industry is going to leave them in the dust. Hell, BGS games already look old before release. They look even older when the npcs start moving around the world. When compared to even something like Assassins Creed, the difference is night and day.

The biggest issue is how everything is a cell. Want to enter a city? Load screen. Want to enter a house in that city? Load screen. Want to walk into a cave? Load screen. There's no seamless transitions without a loading screen. It makes the games feel old as fuck.

That's probably why they're having so much trouble with Starfield. That engine can barely handle the player flying around in a vertibird in Fallout 4. It fucking chugs and the pop in is terrible. Now imagine space travel with planets. The engine probably crashes. That's why there are no drivable vehicles in modern Fallout. The engine can't handle it.

StormCell

That sucks. They were always saying that they weren't able to build it due to current systems not being powerful enough. Are we going to have another generation without a proper new Elder Scrolls?

Sounding more likely that is the case. They seem to have other priorities than making Elder Scrolls RPGs.

I don't even care, necessarily, for the Elder Scrolls lore. Anyone can make a game with as much detail and lore. I just want another expansive realm that is ripe for exploration and story telling.

niilokin

I hope games like Cyberpunk 2077 and new Fable will be insanely awesome and that BGS takes some of that awesomosis and puts it into Elder Scrolls IV.

mortal

Gold Member
They didn't want to announce it, but fans have been asking them constantly on Twitter and every social forum ever, 'WHERE IS TESVI?!' nonstop for pretty much 7 years
They still didn't need to announce it so early. Do people honestly think there wouldn't be a TES VI, especially after the success of Skyrim?
What does the announcement of a game that everyone already knew was inevitable even do for people? Say what you will about Fallout 4, but I loved that it was announced exactly one year from release. I wish more developers and publishers followed the model.

I'd much prefer developeres work on a game in secret for until it's most certainly close to completing production. Announcing a title one year out from launch is ideal, with the exception of delays of course. I don't understand why some people want to wait years and years getting hypes for games. I tried it once before with FF Versus XII, all that taught me is that it's never ever worth it.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I'm more concerned if the game gonna be released with a trashy experience, full of glitches, lots of bugs, imcomplete, content lacking, etc.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

If they want to shift the conversation to Starfield, they need to show us something.

Agreed - I'm hoping Starfield is a 2021 release.

It's using the same engine and it's going to provide a big indication on what ES VI will be like on next gen.

Elder Scrolls VI in 2022? That would constitute 'years'.

They will probably still use that shitty gamebryo engine in one shape or form. The only positive is the mod-ability but that is pretty much the reason their games keep on selling for years.

TissueBox

2025 at the earliest? Hell no.

Pete Hines already teased at a three years gap between Fallout 76, Starfield and TESVI, which means that Starfield is expected to come out next year and Elder Scrolls in 2024, with 2025 being the worst case scenario if the game gets delayed.

It's hard to say exactly as Hines has stated before that BGS has two new huge IPs to go (Starfield and one more) before properly getting TESVI into motion, but he has also remarked that the way project pipelines and schedules work inside the studio can vary being so early stage atm so it can be two games, it can be one, who knows, time will tell. Still, judging by that original planned timeframe, 2024-2025 might be TESVI's best shot at coming out in a not too egregious release window this gen.

Last edited:

Pallas

I’m guessing TESVI is at least a decade away? We barely know anything about Star Field and that has to release first.

Perrott

Gold Member
It's hard to say exactly as Hines has stated before that BGS has two new huge IPs to go (Starfield and one more) before properly getting TESVI into motion, but he has also remarked that the way project pipelines and schedules work inside the studio can vary being so early stage atm so it can be two games, it can be one, who knows, time will tell. Still, judging by that original planned timeframe, 2024-2025 might be TESVI's best shot at coming out in a not too egregious release window this gen.
That's not true: The Elder Scrolls VI is the next title after Starfield. That's a fact confirmed by Todd Howard himself during Bethesda's E3 2018 press conference.

You seem to be confused by a statement made by Hines at E3 2016 about how Bethesda Game Studios had two major projects in the works that should come before Elder Scrolls VI - those games being Fallout 76 and Starfield, which was in preproduction at the time.

Not having a top tier RPG at launch for a new system that has a mass-appeal setting is FAILURE at a management level. Either due to the leftist activist coup or ineptitude by management. It's probably both. As far as M$, they threw out all they've learned from the Xbox360 and went back to managing the One and the XbSX like the original Xbox. Bad move for them.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Bethesda is an epic fall from grace. Remember back in the Morrowind days where nothing matched their open world games and now they've barely evolved and so many other series have surpassed them?

They need to rebuild it from the ground up. Their combat is absolutely horrendous, there's no weight or physics to it. Pre-Skyrim slashing an enemy felt like swinging a weapon through water and in Skyrim it felt like swinging a weapon through bubble tea. They added a little bit of detection physics in there and that's it, but still very cheap and weightless feeling.

But it's still terrible. You just basically mash triggers and shoulder buttons. I know it's hard to have advanced combat in an open detailed world as large as they have, but it needs to be done. Skyrim with just enhanced graphics and a tiny improved combat system wouldn't cut it current gen. Each iteration gets more and more outdated.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
I see it from the positive side:
Enough time for Skyblivion and Skywind to finish.

Last edited:

TissueBox

That's not true: The Elder Scrolls VI is the next title after Starfield. That's a fact confirmed by Todd Howard himself during Bethesda's E3 2018 press conference.

You seem to be confused by a statement made by Hines at E3 2016 about how Bethesda Game Studios had two major projects in the works that should come before Elder Scrolls VI - those games being Fallout 76 and Starfield, which was in preproduction at the time.

Oho. You are right, I was mistaken. Going over some references Hines reportedly never stated the team was working on two new IPs, rather, two projects as 'big as Skyrim or Fallout'; I suppose I simply never really considered Fallout 76 to be what they were talking about, even when it was announced and released, since it was supposedly Bethesda Game Studio Austin's thing before the main office took over. But at this point it is definitely the latter's game, now.

In which case, I retract my tune; ESVI may very likely be coming before 2025, if all things go accordingly during development!! Starfield will pro'lly be a '21 game at the latest. That should give them plenty of time to devote their resources to TESVI and work on it in the interim, hopefully at present starting the move out of preproduction. *nod of epiphany*

Inviusx

That's a fair response from Pete and the fans asking for info are fucking idiots. They said Starfield is next and ES6 after that, we don't even know anything about Starfield yet and they were only officially announced less than a year ago.

So tweeing him asking "ok it's time for ES6 news now Pete" is retarded.

IMHO they were throwing players a bone by even revealing ES6 last year.

Riven326

Banned
Bethesda is an epic fall from grace. Remember back in the Morrowind days where nothing matched their open world games and now they've barely evolved and so many other series have surpassed them?

They need to rebuild it from the ground up. Their combat is absolutely horrendous, there's no weight or physics to it. Pre-Skyrim slashing an enemy felt like swinging a weapon through water and in Skyrim it felt like swinging a weapon through bubble tea. They added a little bit of detection physics in there and that's it, but still very cheap and weightless feeling.

But it's still terrible. You just basically mash triggers and shoulder buttons. I know it's hard to have advanced combat in an open detailed world as large as they have, but it needs to be done. Skyrim with just enhanced graphics and a tiny improved combat system wouldn't cut it current gen. Each iteration gets more and more outdated.
The worst addition by far are the dreaded radiant quests that Todd is so proud of.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The worst addition by far are the dreaded radiant quests that Todd is so proud of.
I don't even think the Fallout series is that great either. The improvement from 3 to 4 is minimal. They aren't bad games by any means, just feel outdated. And their advancements fall way behind the genre advancements overall, so each installment is gonna fear more and more outdated in comparison. It's like waiting 5 years to go up one iPhone version. Each time you'll fall farther and farther behind.

Shooting enemies in Fallout feels so empty and lifeless and they fly around life rag dolls when they're shot.

Radical_3d

So. They don’t change the engine because “it lets them make content very quickly”. They spend years releasing Skyrim in every platform. Their engine sucks. And there is nothing ready for next gen. I fail to see the virtues of their workflow.

Stuart360

I wonder if Skyrim is almost a curse to Bethesda now. I mean i know not everyone loves it, but most people adore it and hold it up as a pinnacle game from Bethesda. Its approaching 40mil sales, and Bethesda keep porting it to everything, somehting they dont do with their other games.
I wouldnt be surprised if they think Skyrim was 'lightning in a bottle' and they are worried they cant reach that level again.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
I don't even think the Fallout series is that great either. The improvement from 3 to 4 is minimal. They aren't bad games by any means, just feel outdated. And their advancements fall way behind the genre advancements overall, so each installment is gonna fear more and more outdated in comparison. It's like waiting 5 years to go up one iPhone version. Each time you'll fall farther and farther behind.

Shooting enemies in Fallout feels so empty and lifeless and they fly around life rag dolls when they're shot.
The technical aspects feel outdated because of the engine. It looks dated, especially when things start moving. They moved more into the shooter realm with 4, at the expense of the RPG side of the game.

The best way I've heard it described is that Fallout 4 is a great game on its own, but easily the worst Fallout. But the building was very cool. Not much else out there like it in the RPG space.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Here is the real question:

Will Elder Scrolls 6 be an actual RPG like Morrowind or another "overly simplified" mess that was Skyrim? Or will it be "inbetween" like with Oblivion?

Personally I would rather them just go back to their roots with text boxes over the voiced lines. Voicing everything limits what can be done, said, and explained. By oversimplifying stats, you limit what player choice exists. By constantly "leveling" enemies alongside you, you don't feel like you are growing stronger. Let me feel overpowered. Let me be as unique of a character as I can imagine.

Yoda

Here is the real question:

Will Elder Scrolls 6 be an actual RPG like Morrowind or another "overly simplified" mess that was Skyrim? Or will it be "inbetween" like with Oblivion?

Personally I would rather them just go back to their roots with text boxes over the voiced lines. Voicing everything limits what can be done, said, and explained. By oversimplifying stats, you limit what player choice exists. By constantly "leveling" enemies alongside you, you don't feel like you are growing stronger. Let me feel overpowered. Let me be as unique of a character as I can imagine.

Hate to be a cynic, but there's no chance in hell they're doing anything execs would deem to be reducing its mass market appeal. If anything, we'll see a greater focus on action/adventure gameplay as that's more straightforward to monetize.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's cool, because The Elder Scrolls Online exists.

At this point i don't care anymore when it release i won't get it day 1 will wait when it is dirt cheap Bethesda has lost my respect

Barakov

Makes sense. I'm hoping we at least hear something about Starfield this year. A space game by Behtesda could possibly be cool.

Top Bottom