• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda reiterates Elder Scrolls 6 news is likely ‘years away’

Airbus Jr

Banned
the reality is TES VI most likely coming late nextgen during the end of PS5 and Series X lifecycle

That famous Skyrim grandma might not live to see this game unfortunately

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
...and it will be still running on the same engine.

Game engine are always getting upgraded

look at the difference between Gears 2 - Gears 5, Uncharted 2- Uncharted 4, Demon Souls-Bloodborne, Killzone 2-Horizon Zero Dawn

From Oblivion to Skyrim itself is quite a massive improvement ( when it comes to graphics)

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Good....good.....the last thing next gen needs is to be dragged down by Bethesda jank. All that money they've made from sales of Skyrim and not even bothering to code a new engine but rely on the old jank because "it just works!".

Starfield

Hey Hey....

Bethesda bad! Lol gamebryo lol Skyrim for toaster lol every bethesda game trash lolol

and then as soon as the pre-order drops y'all go be Todd's lil bitch and order 2 copies xD everytime the same

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Hey Hey....

Bethesda bad! Lol gamebryo lol Skyrim for toaster lol every bethesda game trash lolol

and then as soon as the pre-order drops y'all go be Todd's lil bitch and order 2 copies xD everytime the same

ukGsu2K.jpg

Compsiox

Banned
Bethesda has looked awful lately. Doom was okay but Todd lies so goddamn much and Fallout 76 spawned so much bad PR for so many different reasons inside and outside of the game.

ruvikx

Banned
Pete Hines needs to stop getting shitty with people, you guys are the assholes that announced the game 5 years + before launch (making it well over a decade since your PREVIOUS entry in the series by the time it comes out).

Imagine Elder Scrolls VI releasing 15 years after Skyrim? Total shitshow of massive magnitude. Bethesda have screwed-up entirely. Somewhere, there's a happy balance between Assassin's Creed saturation & Elder Scrolls no-show. It's just insane for a company to treat its most valuable IP like this. They even found time to publish a sequel (Rage 2) to a game hardly anyone even enjoyed (Rage) in that time. Even The Evil Within had a sequel published by Bethesda. But Skyrim? nope. Just modders keeping it alive & doing the work Bethesda should have been doing themselves.

ruvikx

Banned
Bethesda has looked awful lately. Doom was okay but Todd lies so goddamn much and Fallout 76 spawned so much bad PR for so many different reasons inside and outside of the game.

Doom is overrated. I say that as someone who badly wanted to enjoy it. I speak for Doom 2016 here (I haven't tried Eternal yet) but once the player reaches the Hell level, the mask comes off & the ugly core of the game reveals itself: arena combat against the same enemies again, again & again which consists of running around like a madman choosing which enemies to kill first. Rinse repeat until end. Harder difficulties merely accelerate the already overly fast arena action.

I love first person shooters like Halo, Killzone, Resistance which have good pacing & a tactical approach to the fights. Doom doesn't have that sort of fun. It even throws in some first person platforming as well just to add further annoyance.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Imagine Elder Scrolls VI releasing 15 years after Skyrim? Total shitshow of massive magnitude. Bethesda have screwed-up entirely. Somewhere, there's a happy balance between Assassin's Creed saturation & Elder Scrolls no-show. It's just insane for a company to treat its most valuable IP like this. They even found time to publish a sequel (Rage 2) to a game hardly anyone even enjoyed (Rage) in that time. Even The Evil Within had a sequel published by Bethesda. But Skyrim? nope. Just modders keeping it alive & doing the work Bethesda should have been doing themselves.

You are absolutely bang on the money. Whats worse to release ESVI 15 years on and STILL be utilising that same old knackard tired engine is beyond belief.

Their technology is going to be lightyears behind their competition and to be honest, many developers have now superseded them.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
At least he knows he failing. When they announce it as a means of deflecting negative press two years(?) ago - of course people are going to start asking. Wouldn’t be surprised if work hadn’t even started on the thing when they threw up that title card.

That's a weird interpretation. They announced it a year ago BECAUSE people were complaining about lack of communication. So they said it's coming, but it will be after Starfield, which itself is several years away, it would be a long time before they talk about Elder Scrolls again. Now a year later people are asking stupid questions and getting the same answers as last year. Starfield is two to three years away. Elder Scrolls is five years after Starfield at best. A lot points to Elder Scrolls being a very late next gen title or an early next next gen title.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
honestly, how many people are even interested anymore? Skyrim was enjoyable but it's been almost a freaking decade which will have come and gone by the time we even get Starfield. and we all know when it does arrive it'll be an absolute bug/glitch filled nightmare.

there have been countless open world RPG games that make Skyrim look even more archaic than it already is. I just can't see Bethesda being able to keep up.

Matt_Fox

To clarify, Bethesda Game Studios (not to be confused with Bethesda Softworks) have published:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006) / Fallout 3 (2008) / The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011) / Fallout 4 (2015) / Fallout 76 (2018).

Releases have come on average 3 years apart.

In 2018 Bethesda Game Studios significantly added to their capacity with new studios in Austin and Dallas, so this release pattern is likely to accelerate not slowdown.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Game engine are always getting upgraded

look at the difference between Gears 2 - Gears 5, Uncharted 2- Uncharted 4, Demon Souls-Bloodborne, Killzone 2-Horizon Zero Dawn

From Oblivion to Skyrim itself is quite a massive improvement ( when it comes to graphics)

The issue with Bethesda's games is the bug ridden quest engine, where often triggers don't work and create unbeatable quests. Plus a savegame system that creates files that are over 100 MB per save. I think the only real issue regarding graphics is that Bethesda has no capable animators, can't blame that on the tech. Bethesda characters always look like they have a stick in their ass.

SpartanN92

Banned
To clarify, Bethesda Game Studios (not to be confused with Bethesda Softworks) have published:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006) / Fallout 3 (2008) / The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011) / Fallout 4 (2015) / Fallout 76 (2018).

Releases have come on average 3 years apart.

In 2018 Bethesda Game Studios significantly added to their capacity with new studios in Austin and Dallas, so this release pattern is likely to accelerate not slowdown.

Well you definitely hit the problem....Fallout 76 should NEVER have existed in the first place.

Bankai

I loved Fallout 4, but please.. take your time AND USE A NEW ENGINE for the new Elder Scrolls :lollipop_anxious_sweat:

In the meantime, I'll just keep on enjoying Skyrim VR!

Silvawuff

They could always release a half-finished buggy game and let the community finish it. Seems to have worked well before.

Why the hell did the even show that stupid island teaser trailer then at e3 a couple years ago if it's still YEARS away from even being shown... Bethesda are daft sometimes.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Hate to be a cynic, but there's no chance in hell they're doing anything execs would deem to be reducing its mass market appeal. If anything, we'll see a greater focus on action/adventure gameplay as that's more straightforward to monetize.

You would be correct, but there is a very easy way to appeal to both camps. A simple toggle. Do you want the "expert" level of customization? The ability to choose specific abilities, stats, etc? Or do you want the "simplified" version? By simply picking a class? This has been a thing in both Oblivion and Morrowind and something that never really prevented mass amrket appeal.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Am I the only one who is ok with this? I much rather see new IP than the 6th entry where I pretty much can guess what we're gonna get.

ruvikx

Banned
I loved Fallout 4, but please.. take your time AND USE A NEW ENGINE for the new Elder Scrolls :lollipop_anxious_sweat:

If they'd been working on Elder Scrolls games over the past 9 years, the advances would be even greater. That's because the devs get better at their craft as they learn how to extract everything from their engine (+ know what a new engine requires) & implement all the cool ideas they have during the creative process. A Skyrim sequel in 2015, a sequel to that i.e. Elder Scrolls VII in 2020 (perhaps launch title on the next gen PS5/Series X)... Does that sound like a bad alternate universe? Not to me it doesn't. That "fantasy" would already have been 4 year & 5 year development cycles, which is already a long time for a single game.

Oh sure, we'd gets some bugs, people would bitch & moan about whatever, but we'd still get games. I don't like waiting until I've married, had kids, divorced & God knows what else before a Skyrim sequel is released. Following that logic, we might as well say we "hope" we don't see another Elder Scrolls for 50 years. It's guaranteed the graphics & animations will be way better by then.

I'm expecting this for 2026.
(at minimum)

In 2026 I'll be in my 40's. I wonder how many massive Skyrim fans will be in the "I no longer give a sh*t about video games" category of citizens by then? Wait too long & Skyrim/Elder Scrolls will become a relic from a bygone era with a bygone playerbase which has moved on in life.

GreenAlien

Will we get Skyrim: Definitive Edition to bridge the gap? We need Skyrim on everything, right?

Last edited:

Vlaphor

I hate to say it, but there is no chance this meets the expectations of the PC community. Bethesda/Zenimax has made it very clear that they consider modding to be lost revenue, so there is no way that ES VI is as open and easy to mod as Skyrim.

Andodalf

Banned
I hate to say it, but there is no chance this meets the expectations of the PC community. Bethesda/Zenimax has made it very clear that they consider modding to be lost revenue, so there is no way that ES VI is as open and easy to mod as Skyrim.

Honestly seeing as how modding was expanded to Console, I feel like they've been more open to modding that before. A lot of people thought Fallout 4 would only have paid mods, but it turned out to support anything like all the other BGS games. Every time they talk about their games they mention how important modding has been to them

Most companies don't show off games in super early development. They deserve it. Showing that teaser at E3 was stupid.

It might be, but they were clear about it being only in pre-production and that F76 and Starfield were to be made first, that we shouldn't expect to hear about it again for years and that they announced quell any rumors/thoughts about them making completely different games now.

Ironically that means they announced the game early to quell false expectations about them, only for people to get false expectations. I was as disappointed by the news as anyone, but I reiterate; if you thought differently, it meant you weren't paying attention.

time to wake up and smell the coffee. Just like GTA and other huge persistent online worlds out there, I don't they're ever coming back to single-player adventures centered around a lone hero (or criminal). It's all about making kids happy playing together and building cozy houses with other soyboys

ESO keeps expanding:

btw, just finished a quest in Markarth ancient dwemer ruins yesterday or so. Great stuff in VR

Bolivar687

Banned
time to wake up and smell the coffee. Just like GTA and other huge persistent online worlds out there, I don't they're ever coming back to single-player adventures centered around a lone hero (or criminal). It's all about making kids happy playing together and building cozy houses with other soyboys

ESO keeps expanding:

btw, just finished a quest in Markarth ancient dwemer ruins yesterday or so. Great stuff in VR

But that's all BGS does and nothing else, you don't seriously believe they'll completely retool their studio to make a multiplayer game, or that they'll never make another Elder Scrolls again and leave it to Zenimax online?

CrysisFreak

Banned
Are they amateurs.
As soon as one TES game is release the next one must be in full development.
Because it sells.
Their actions are irresponsible.
Do your new IP in parallel, keep it up with TES to ensure profitability.

I'm still waiting on a Skyrim port to ps5 and xbox series x seems like they haven't milked that cow enough yet.

they might try to port the VR version to Oculus Quest 2

some extra downgrade, but much stronger immersion. They could begin by turning off shadows.

Whatever. Just get to work making a new engine, you assholes. I’m tired of the mod community fixing your shit.

And maybe all this would be easier to tolerate if we could find out anything about Starfield besides the name.

BRZBlue

Whatever. Just get to work making a new engine, you assholes. I’m tired of the mod community fixing your shit.

And maybe all this would be easier to tolerate if we could find out anything about Starfield besides the name.

I bet its gonna look OK, but it'll have the same amount of jank and broken crap all their games have had.

Top Bottom