• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best "New" IP To Come Out During The PS3/Xbox 360 Era

In terms of storytelling/voice acting : The Last of Us
in terms of action/difficulty/highly rated: Demon’s Souls
In terms of motion controls/sales : Wii Sports

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This easily goes to Gears of War, which introduced a cover system and style that many other games follow, to this day. None of the other games you guys mentioned was as influential as Gears of War.
This was the first game that comes to my mind when I think of the 360 era, but I think it's been diminished over time, because the series doesn't seem as relevant anymore and cover-mechanics aren't as big of a trend as they were after Gears released.

Demon's Souls was sort of the tortoise who won the race, in a sense. It's influence is still being felt today.

Last edited:
Yeah it was crazy good. I doubt we will see another generation like that again. Nowadays with spiralling costs publishers leaning on safe ROI, from safe sequels and focus on cinematic experiences; we only get maybe a couple IP's or a few (if we're lucky) from devs in one generation.

Hopefully this gen picks up a bit now we're nearly past the cross gen period. And devs and publishers are willing to push the boundries with new, fresh experiences.
the other thing, of course, is that if, indeed, a number of new & imaginative ips do begin to appear over the next while, & what with the new extended development times we currently have, it's as likely as not that we won't be seeing any sequels to these ips till possibly the following generation...

meaning, unlike the ps3/360 era (bioshock, uncharted, gears of war, mass effect), no trilogies...

Robb

Gold Member
Portal, Uncharted, No More Heroes, Bayonetta, Ghost Trick, Rhythm Heaven, Bioshock etc. etc.

Difficult to pick just one. Loads of good stuff!

1A.) Uncharted
1B.). Mass Effect
1C.) Borderlands

2.) Gears of war
3.) Forza horizon
4.) if you consider it. Red Dead.
5.) Full house poker
6.) Rock band
7.) Bayonetta

But the true answer was Wii Sports. Followed by Guitar hero.

Last edited:

sainraja

• Uncharted
  • Little Big Planet
  • The Last of Us
  • InFamous
  • MotorStorm
^^ These immediately come to mind.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
All of them, fuck I want that game era back.

I am currently playing Dead Space 2 after Callisto and it...sorry they knew how to do games before, now, outside of few devs, it's mostly garbage.

And no it's not my emotional state, I can directly replay those games and it's good you know.

And now they have way more tools to play around with and stuff like that.

Moses85

Uncharted and TLOU

Buster Keaton The Blacksmith GIF by Maudit

DavJay

Skyrim. Seriously they should be done with elder scrolls and call the next one Skyrim 2 and so on. Many don’t even know Skyrim is part of a bigger franchise call The Elder Scrolls.

ZehDon

Gold Member
For me it's gotta be Gears of War, Mass Effect, and Dark Souls. They're terrific IP that really added something new and interesting to the landscape of gaming.

Naked Lunch

Lost Planet. Too bad Capcom gave up on it by the 3rd entry by outsourcing - and they already abandoned it.

Deadly Premonition. The first game will forever be a legend.

Chromehounds
and
Metal Gear Rising. One and done?

Last edited:
Top Bottom