• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best "New" IP To Come Out During The PS3/Xbox 360 Era

When I say new ip, I'm talking about a game with no sequels that was original for the time during the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 era.

My vote would go to Darksiders. Ever since the original game I fell in love with the series.

The other would be Mass Effect. To this day I consider it the best science fiction game to have ever been released. It was right up there with my other favorite, Star Control 2.

One other I can think of but I'm not sure if I can count it Demon's Souls. The reason for the gray area here is because it never actually had a direct sequel although it did kickstart the Soul series. However even Demon's Souls was a spiritual successor itself but I'll count it.

What was your favorite new IP that came out during this era?

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Forza_Horizon_boxart.jpg

Foilz

Banned
If this is best new IP I personally enjoyed then It's Too Human. I know it was unfinished and broken but I loved that game

Fahdis

Uncharted and The Last of Us brought in a new level of story telling to the masses.

Gears of War brought in the mechanics and grit in story and gameplay at the sametime.

Killzone 2 still looks like it can be a PS5 game, on a technical level it was really far ahead (yea technically not a new IP but damn it felt like it).

Batman Arkham and Infamous brought in the feeling of being a real super hero in a game.

Assassin's Creed brought in the freedom of movement and wonder we always had since Prince of Persia along with historical narrative.

Dirt made you play a rally game seriously for the first time.

LittleBigPlanet made you spend some time understanding how user content creation work and you hated it but wanted platformers to be as adorable as it was.

Forza Horizon and Motorstorm brought in aspects of racing that were not seen before, so you invested and got hooked.

Resistance made you play your first 60 vs. player match online the first time.

Demon's Souls started a completely new genre in the industry and now you're damn hooked.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Call of Duty

I’m counting it. Released in 2003 on PC but it’s first console release was on PS360

Bioshock

Last of Us

Gears of War

Uncharted

Ass Creed

This gen is still my favourite by far. Insane amount of new IP and the last time we saw mass improvement in game design and AI

Last edited:

EDMIX

Assassins Creed
The Last Of Us
Red Dead Redemption
RDR actually began on the ps2. Red dead revolver started development at capcom and rockstar sort of took it over, idk the specifics

Rockstar has stated themselves its in its own universe. As to why RDR2, isn't called 3....
man, reading all these titles. does anyone seriously believe there's even a small chance of there being as many equally incredible franchises being created this gen?...

yea but...going to have to tone that subjectivity lol I don't now what you might find "incredible" so I'll leave my comment based on as many new IP being made. I don't think anyone can truly answer what you gave as that answer would differ quite a bit.

Objectively...the same publishers that make new IP, are still making new IP.

Judas
Pragmata
Exoprimal
Starfield (though Bethesda Soft rarely do new IP, worth bring up)
Redfall
Ronin
Forespoken
Diofield Chronicle
Sony has several new IP being made
Ubisoft has several teams working on new IP
Take Two has almost half of their games coming out will be new IP (sorta the Ubisoft method)

So we still have new IP done by a lot of the same teams known for doing that each gen and even some by publishers that generally had less of this in the past, so I'm sure there will be more then enough for everyone to find something they like

MadPanda

Banned
As many others have picked what I would, I won't repeat. I'll just say I'm amazed how many new amazing IPs were created during that generation and many of them are active to this day. With ballooning costs and time for development I don't think we'll ever see it again.

I just got reminded how many great indies we got too, like super meat boy, the binding of Isaac, state of decay etc.

man, reading all these titles. does anyone seriously believe there's even a small chance of there being as many equally incredible franchises being created this gen?...

Yes, new big IP are created every gen. Almost none of the games mentioned in this thread were out by this time into the 7th gen

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The Last of Us and Lollipop Chainsaw.... Asura's Wrath. I tie them all together, but that's me. I enjoyed all of them immensely.

I mean there's Elden Ring. Potentially Starfield, maybe Wolverine.
yep... meanwhile, in the first 2 years of the ps3/360:

new ips released at the end of 2006: gears of war, resistance
new ips released in 2007: bioshock, portal (orange box), rock band, crysis, mass effect, uncharted, crackdown
new ips released in 2008: littlebigplanet, left 4 dead, dead space...

Last edited:
Top Bottom