• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Be grateful for GAF's gaming discussion because the amount of trash gaming communities in other sites like Reddit is appalling.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m grateful we’re not Reddit, but I hope we don’t look at other gaming communities and set our bar by that, given the abyssal quality of them all.

Gaf should lead, and set the bar as high as possible for ourselves, with each person aspiring to do their best. Which probably means getting over the immature console warring at some point.

I’m grateful we’re not Reddit, but I hope we don’t look at other gaming communities and set our bar by that, given the abyssal quality of them all.

Gaf should lead, and set the bar as high as possible for ourselves, with each person aspiring to do their best. Which probably means getting over the immature console warring at some point.
tim and eric smile GIF

Kerotan

This site is just as bad. If anything, anything at all gets down attention or love for MS either console or games, it becomes Sony pony show. Harder to come here these days just to even check gaming news.
Unless you're on an xbox forum xbox ain't getting love. It's irrelevant in most countries and getting spanked in markets it's relevant. To expect xbox to be getting big love is deluded. Pc/ninty /ps fans are the vast vast vast majority.

Maybe it's because you want Gaf to be like this?

I mean if Xbox fans don't contribute here then the forum becomes one sided. It's up to them to balance things out by participating.

Hiding from the other forum members won't accomplish anything here. And you shouldn't be afraid of other members since it's up to the admins to decide how people are dealt with here.

Now if you just don't like people who have different preferences than you do then that's an issue that you have.
Maybe people don't want to contribute because they don't feel welcomed. I literally got two warnings from a mod here for pointing out that this site feels Sony leaning and the poster was just told to get the fuck out by OP. It's not like Xbox fans are totally innocent, when the Specs for Series X was released, there was a lot of bragging on their part too. Imo the gaming section has gotten more toxic in the last year. Maybe it's because the launch of the new consoles? Who knows.

Maybe people don't want to contribute because they don't feel welcomed. I literally got two warnings from a mod here for pointing out that this site feels Sony leaning and the poster was just told to get the fuck out by OP. It's not like Xbox fans are totally innocent, when the Specs for Series X was released, there was a lot of bragging on their part too. Imo the gaming section has gotten more toxic in the last year. Maybe it's because the launch of the new consoles? Who knows.

Honestly you're going to have different fanbases constantly attacking each other in these types of forums. I've seen the admins here deal with both sides often but it's difficult for them to make this place a gaming utopia.

Also when people post on this forum they have to just accept that not everyone is going to have the same preference as them. Just because you like console X and they like console Y doesn't mean they don't have the right to post here.

Gaf really isn't the place for people who can't tolerate those that disagree with them. I disagree with many individuals here but I never request mass bannings just so I don't have to tolerate them. I simply just ignore them or tolerate what they have to say. It's just the way any forum is to be fair.

Am I missing something? What's wrong with that thread? The gif in the OP looks like it's meant to be a fun joke and most of the comments are talking about how much they sold their PS4 for.

Am I missing something? What's wrong with that thread? The gif in the OP looks like it's meant to be a fun joke and most of the comments are talking about how much they sold their PS4 for.
The fact that it's in the top page of the subreddit with "thread awards" is telling of the quality standard they hold.

That kind of thread would be shut down immediately on GAF, and I'm speaking from personal experience :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Reddit has at least three disparate, dealbreaker problems:

-Full democracy. Would be great if most people weren’t stupid

-Corrupt, power-hungry moderation. Too many people are there to push an agenda, rather than keep a site clean and readable. Mods are allowed to gobble up subreddit after subreddit too, which only exacerbates the problem

-Corporate influence. Partially to do with the second reason selling out to the highest bidder in some cases. We joke about astroturfing here, mostly with people that are a bit too obsessed or biased, but Reddit has actual astroturfing and manipulation

Put it all under typical Silicon Valley CEOs that will bounce to another job in a year or two, and don’t give a shit, beyond their next paycheck, and you have an absolute cesspool of a forum.

REDRZA MWS

Maybe it's because you want Gaf to be like this?

I mean if Xbox fans don't contribute here then the forum becomes one sided. It's up to them to balance things out by participating.

Hiding from the other forum members won't accomplish anything here. And you shouldn't be afraid of other members since it's up to the admins to decide how people are dealt with here.

Now if you just don't like people who have different preferences than you do then that's an issue that you have.
You have to joking. Any and all Xbox “contributing’ threads are met with the Sony defense force, downplaying, disregarding, or twisting facts, you know, to Stan fir their favorite plastic encased bits. People who have zero intention ever owning an Xbox invade every Xbox thread shit posting. It’s old, it’s immature, and it’s plain fucking weird.

And btw, what different preferences. I got my PS5 on launch day, just as I have EVERY other PlayStation home console. Don’t assume anything, make an ass of yourself.

Last edited:
Honestly you're going to have different fanbases constantly attacking each other in these types of forums. I've seen the admins here deal with both sides often but it's difficult for them to make this place a gaming utopia.

Also when people post on this forum they have to just accept that not everyone is going to have the same preference as them. Just because you like console X and they like console Y doesn't mean they don't have the right to post here.

Gaf really isn't the place for people who can't tolerate those that disagree with them. I disagree with many individuals here but I never request mass bannings just so I don't have to tolerate them. I simply just ignore them or tolerate what they have to say. It's just the way any forum is to be fair.
All Im saying is don't expect Xbox fans to want to stick with your site when there are plenty of threads talking down to them and their platform of choice. I will stay here, but I enjoy posting on here much less than I used to.

Krisprolls

Banned
Ehhh Gaf can't really talk too much shit. It's just a different flavor of cringe with the MS hate circle jerk

This site is just as bad. If anything, anything at all gets down attention or love for MS either console or games, it becomes Sony pony show. Harder to come here these days just to even check gaming news.

Only people I see saying that are Xbox fanboys themselves. They usually do the same in Sony threads. We had them bragging for months about their "most powerful console" that proved to be not that powerful. Tables turned for sure, but I don't see the difference.

You see more Sony fans because there are more Sony fans everywhere you go. That's what happens when one side has the bulk of the market share. What is it now ? At least 2:1 worldwide ? That's what you'll get here.

If / when MS makes better games and consoles, you'll see more MS fans here a few years later, just like it happened after Xbox 360 era. Fans and fan trust must be earned. It took 26 years of publishing great games to Sony.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
As much as I empathize with finding stupid people obnoxious, no matter which flag they fly...

You have a self-responsibility to not be fragile either. Most people are not that gifted, and you’re going to run into that type again and again. Are you going to run away forever? Rely on others to chase them away for you?

Or are you going to either stand up for yourself within forum rules, or ignore them?

People will always speak stupid words. It’s down to you how much you let that affect you.

Go make some great content (and make sure it isn’t stupid itself, as we’re all susceptible to saying dumb things), and who gives a crap about how some people act?

As much as I empathize with finding stupid people obnoxious, no matter which flag they fly...

You have a self-responsibility to not be fragile either. Most people are not that gifted, and you’re going to run into that type again and again. Are you going to run away forever? Rely on others to chase them away for you?

Or are you going to either stand up for yourself within forum rules, or ignore them?

People will always speak stupid words. It’s down to you how much you let that affect you.

Go make some great content (and make sure it isn’t stupid itself, as we’re all susceptible to saying dumb things), and who gives a crap about how some people act?
Mad Men Cry GIF

Dolomite

Only people I see saying that are Xbox fanboys themselves. They usually do the same in Sony threads. We had them bragging for months about their "most powerful console" that proved to be not that powerful. Tables turned for sure, but I don't see the difference.

You see more Sony fans because there are more Sony fans everywhere you go. That's what happens when one side has the bulk of the market share. What is it now ? At least 2:1 worldwide ? That's what you'll get here.

If / when MS makes better games and consoles, you'll see more MS fans here a few years later, just like it happened after Xbox 360 era. Fans and fan trust must be earned. It took 26 years of publishing great games to Sony.
Lol pointing out hypocrisy makes me an xbox fanboy... I guess bud

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Quoting you but I could say this to a lot of posters: I just don't get the "Xbox fans" and "Sony fans" mentality.

For example, I can shit on TLOU2 as much as I want, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy other Sony exclusives like Persona 5, Bloodborne or God of War. Hell, those three are among my fav games this gen. And the same could be said about Xbox: I like some of their games but I found the console useless as I already have a nice PC. And of course this is just my opinion based on my personal preferences, and I don't see them as facts.

What I meant to say is that, imo, people should care less about brands and more about the games.

Oh and nothing personal btw, I just remembered our conversation about TLOU2 of the other day and wanted to use that as an example. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I just realized this was written directly towards me.....

Who cares, had sex
U96NP5L.gif

Krisprolls

Banned
Quoting you but I could say this to a lot of posters: I just don't get the "Xbox fans" and "Sony fans" mentality.

For example, I can shit on TLOU2 as much as I want, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy other Sony exclusives like Persona 5, Bloodborne or God of War. Hell, those three are among my fav games this gen. And the same could be said about Xbox: I like some of their games but I found the console useless as I already have a nice PC. And of course this is just my opinion based on my personal preferences, and I don't see them as facts.

What I meant to say is that, imo, people should care less about brands and more about the games.

Oh and nothing personal btw, I just remembered our conversation about TLOU2 of the other day and wanted to use that as an example. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Of course. 100 % agree. That's what I just said actually. People love Sony because of the games, they don't care about the corp itself. They don't really love Sony, they love the games.

I don't think like you seem to do that people really care about the brand itself, they just remember the games they played... It's just indirect projection. When they say they love X brand, they just mean they loved the games they played under that brand, it's just a shortcut. And they anticipate there will be other great games they'll love too. Nobody plays a brand or a hardware. Games are the only experience. It happens there were a lot more great games to play on Sony side over the years. Would it be reversed, you'd see more Xbox games fans (and you'd call them Xbox fans and that would be wrong too).

People abandon a brand pretty quickly, look at what happened with the start of PS3 or with Xbox One. Nobody got glued to a brand. That's a sign they don't really like the console maker itself but the games they released. They go where the best games or experiences are.

The day MS makes more games I like, I'll gladly resubscribe to Gamepass on my PC (and it will probably happen, because I like RPGs from Obsidian or Inxile). I was a subscriber until a few days ago by the way. And the day Sony has no games I like, I'll abandon them like everybody would. Very few people are actually fans of a console "brand", it's mostly an illusion. We're all game fans.

Last edited:
All Im saying is don't expect Xbox fans to want to stick with your site when there are plenty of threads talking down to them and their platform of choice. I will stay here, but I enjoy posting on here much less than I used to.

I've seen plenty of threads that did the opposite. I remember we had tons of them constantly spreading FUD about the PS5 before it launched. Basically unless you eliminate a fanbase completely it will never be ideal for the others. And gaf isn't about that.

I've seen plenty of threads that did the opposite. I remember we had tons of them constantly spreading FUD about the PS5 before it launched. Basically unless you eliminate a fanbase completely it will never be ideal for the others. And gaf isn't about that.
I agree. I ain't calling for censorship. That was directed to your initial comment.

aries_71

I like Reddit. I’ve been a Neogaf member for a long, long time, and I find the general adversity prevalent in this forum towards anything not Sony or PlayStation really hard to swallow. When I want to read anything mildly positive about Microsoft, Xbox, Stadia or GeForce Now I have to go someplace else. Reddit is one such place.

You have to joking. Any and all Xbox “contributing’ threads are met with the Sony defense force, downplaying, disregarding, or twisting facts, you know, to Stan fir their favorite plastic encased bits. People who have zero intention ever owning an Xbox invade every Xbox thread shit posting. It’s old, it’s immature, and it’s plain fucking weird.

And btw, what different preferences. I got my PS5 on launch day, just as I have EVERY other PlayStation home console. Don’t assume anything, make an ass of yourself.

Just because you have a PlayStation doesn't mean you can't prefer a console over it.

Also I've seen you complain about Sony fans quite a bit and judging from your comment history you seem more like an Xbox guy than a PlayStation one.

Honestly I've seen plenty of harassment from Xbox fans on this site. There was a ton of it ever since the GitHub leaks happened. All that misinformation was very difficult for Playstation fans to deal with. Like that fake 5TF claim for example.

It really goes both ways. You just have to spend some time looking at the threads to see it.

Gaf is a melting pot of gamers. Whether people can tolerate each other is a different story.

I agree. I ain't calling for censorship. That was directed to your initial comment.

It's fine. Gaf can be a difficult time for everyone depending on what's happening here. The GitHub leaks spread a wave of FUD that made alot of playstation fans very uncomfortable here. Now that the systems are out there's retaliation from them and now the other side doesn't feel comfortable here. I admit that I participated in some of that and while a little can be fun there's always a limit to what should be allowed here. I'll try my best to stop harassing the FUD believers as they already ate plenty of crow and I really don't want to make this place hell for them.

Hopefully we can all tone things down a bit to make this place better for everyone.

Krisprolls

Banned
I like Reddit. I’ve been a Neogaf member for a long, long time, and I find the general adversity prevalent in this forum towards anything not Sony or PlayStation really hard to swallow. When I want to read anything mildly positive about Microsoft, Xbox, Stadia or GeForce Now I have to go someplace else. Reddit is one such place.

You must have missed the months before next gen console release when it was all about power of teraflops and the weak PS5. That was extremely annoying you know. There was nothing mildly positive about the PS5 at that time. See how it works both ways the same ?

There's no place to read positive news about Stadia though. Just kidding.

Last edited:
I want a dollar for every time someone on GAF bitches and moans about another forum. ESPECIALLY when they bitch about Era. 😅

Those places wouldn’t consider GAF to shit on it, and yet people over here can’t stop whining about them.

Video game forums are some serious shit, yo!
Reddit and Era are the bastards of the internet.

GAF was here way before those two cessepools even existed.

PhoenixTank

I want a dollar for every time someone on GAF bitches and moans about another forum. ESPECIALLY when they bitch about Era. 😅

Those places wouldn’t consider GAF to shit on it, and yet people over here can’t stop whining about them.

Video game forums are some serious shit, yo!
Neo member, eh?
Futurama Reaction GIF

It is internet tradition for all communities to hate most other communities. If another community is worse, it makes ours better.

I don't go for this logic, but it happens everywhere.

Last edited:
No one would take that away from GAF. But ever since a part of GAF split off into Era, it’s like insecurity city over here.

I was a member of Era. That place is a fucking joke. I’m pretty sure the moderators jerk themselves to sleep with the privileges they have. You can’t fart in a certain direction without getting banned.

Coming here was like a breath of fresh air...UNTIL I took note of just how many people felt the need to bring up “that purple place”. Like holy fucking shit you guys, they don’t give two fucks about us over here. You wanna “win” some petty forum war? Put them on a “pay no mind” list and shut the fuck up already. It’s pathetic.

Yes, Gaf’s hetero dick is bigger than Era’s pansy trans dick. We get it. Can we all move on? 🤣
Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

-Arcadia-

Banned
No one would take that away from GAF. But ever since a part of GAF split off into Era, it’s like insecurity city over here.

I was a member of Era. That place is a fucking joke. I’m pretty sure the moderators jerk themselves to sleep with the privileges they have. You can’t fart in a certain direction without getting banned.

Coming here was like a breath of fresh air...UNTIL I took note of just how many people felt the need to bring up “that purple place”. Like holy fucking shit you guys, they don’t give two fucks about us over here. You wanna “win” some petty forum war? Put them on a “pay no mind” list and shut the fuck up already. It’s pathetic.

Yes, Gaf’s hetero dick is bigger than Era’s pansy trans dick. We get it. Can we all move on? 🤣
What you interpret as insecurity is open derision and laughter. It comes up, particularly in a discussion about bad forums, because it is utterly fascinating from an intellectual standpoint to a comedic one.

There are a few Reeing about Ree, mostly in their own containment thread. There I agree. Time to let it go.

aries_71

You must have missed the months before next gen console release when it was all about power of teraflops and the weak PS5. That was extremely annoying you know. There was nothing mildly positive about the PS5 at that time. See how it works both ways the same ?

There's no place to read positive news about Stadia though. Just kidding.

Then you know the feeling. But instead of a few months factor in a decade and a half and you get the idea. Nice, isn’t. Thanks God for Reddit.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
At least you can make more than one Cyberpunk 2077 topic on Reddit.

Rickyiez

Not really , the quality of GAF has since been going downhill since the revival . All I saw was trolling threads you made (OP) or extreme delusional fanboyism or some poster with low technical level talking shits .

I only need to simply pick a date back then and there were only games , games and only games discussion . Nowadays there are 5 threads at least of constant bitchings .

ozXYbYi.png

This place is just as bad with these autistic trash fire threads like this.
Not really , the quality of GAF has since been going downhill since the revival . All I saw was trolling threads you made (OP) or extreme delusional fanboyism or some poster with low technical level talking shits .

I only need to simply pick a date back then and there were only games , games and only games discussion . Nowadays there are 5 threads at least of constant bitchings .

ozXYbYi.png
Ironically, both of you are autistic and bitchy.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it's a bit ironic that you of all people made a post about shit quality gaming communities. this place is going downhill and you're one of the most well known users who makes this place look so pathetic and immature.

Last edited:
it's a bit ironic that you of all people made a post about shit quality gaming communities. this place is going downhill and you're one of the most well known users who makes this place look so pathetic and immature.
You're just mad that GAF was dunking Cyberpunk for consecutive days hehe 🤭

iorek21

Reddit turned into an attwhoring site for upvotes and rewards. Can’t really post anything without either falling into the downvote limbo or the upvote circlejerk.

A community which requires a certain kind of discourse for you to be part of just sucks balls.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Reddit has its place but the bigger subs become a mess of political grandstanding, show and tell, and whatever is happening then. Some of the smaller niche subs are fantastic places for hobbyists.

Forums have their place as well. Forums are equal parts discussion and a record of information. I think OTs and dedicated threads are great because they are both a living source of knowledge that is always evolving but also a record that can be read again at somepoint in the future. It is really cool that you can go back and see discussion that was being had during Sony's 2007 E3 or when Nintendo first revealed the 3DS. It is great to have that record. The other side of it is unlike a subreddit a forum has a community-a group of recognizable people. I know if I see a certain user that I have come to know recommend a game that I might like it as well. Similarly if I ever wanted to know something about my new PS5 or Xbox Series X I know which posters I would reach out to for help-there are people that I see as experts of sorts for different topics. It is good to create that level of intimacy. It also gives the site a little bit of humor at times.

I think GAF succeeds where other forums fail because it is an enthusiasts' general forum. It isn't ultra specific like some of the great yet small retro sites out there nor is it wide open without any moderation like some of the larger general forums out there. GAF has seen good days and bad. Right now each day is looking better and better. I see GAF as a place where anyone with an interest in games can participate be it an interest in one or all of the three consoles, retro games, PC games, or a specific genre. GAF can certainly improve, part of that is user growth but the other part of it is forming new communities and elevating the discussion. I try to make sure that I add something useful to conversations and I've mentioned several times that I'm working on a retro hardware OT. Hopefully I'll finish it one day. I find the console specific threads to be a great place to chat about that particular platform.

Unfortunately I think there is a bit of a problem with console warring-too many topics seem to devolve into Xbox vs PlayStation rather than the topic at hand. It is one thing to try to talk about the consoles in a fair manner, even if we may have a preference but another thing to carry this idea that in order for my console to be good your console must be bad. That's just a really myopic viewpoint. This isn't a zero sum game-nobody has to lose for the other to win. A healthy industry is good for all of us. It's ok to point out times when Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo miss be it a unsatisfying sequel, delayed exclusive, or dated infrastructure/service but another thing to lambast another platform at every chance. Let's celebrate the good and shine a light on the bad with the goal of making sure that industry grows such that we all have more games to play.

Last edited:
Reddit has its place but the bigger subs become a mess of political grandstanding, show and tell, and whatever is happening then. Some of the smaller niche subs are fantastic places for hobbyists.

Forums have their place as well. Forums are equal parts discussion and a record of information. I think OTs and dedicated threads are great because they are both a living source of knowledge that is always evolving but also a record that can be read again at somepoint in the future. It is really cool that you can go back and see discussion that was being had during Sony's 2007 E3 or when Nintendo first revealed the 3DS. It is great to have that record. The other side of it is unlike a subreddit a forum has a community-a group of recognizable people. I know if I see a certain user that I have come to know recommend a game that I might like it as well. Similarly if I ever wanted to know something my new PS5 or Xbox Series X I know which posters I would reach out to for help. It is good to create that level of intimacy. It also gives the site a little bit of humor at times.

I think GAF succeeds where other forums fail because it is an enthusiasts' general forum. It isn't ultra specific like some of the great yet small retro sites out there nor is it wide open without any moderation like some of the larger general forums out there. GAF has seen good days and bad. Right now each day is looking better and better. I see GAF as a place where anyone with an interest in games can participate be it an interest in one or all of the three consoles, retro games, PC games, or a specific genre. GAF can certainly improve, part of that is user growth but the other part of it is forming new communities and elevating the discussion. I try to make sure that I add something useful to conversations and I've mentioned several times that I'm working on a retro hardware OT. Hopefully I'll finish it one day. I find the console specific threads to be a great place to chat about that particular platform.

Unfortunately I think there is a bit of a problem with console warring-too many topics seem to devolve into Xbox vs PlayStation rather than the topic at hand. It is one thing to try to talk about the consoles in a fair manner, even if we may have a preference but another thing to carry this idea that in order for my console to be good your console must be bad. That's just a really myopic viewpoint. This isn't a zero sum game-nobody has to lose for the other to win. A healthy industry is good for all of us. It's ok to point out times when Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo miss be it a unsatisfying sequel, delayed exclusive, or dated infrastructure/service but another thing to lambast another platform at every chance. Let's celebrate the good and shine a light on the bad with the goal of making sure that industry grows such that we all have more games to play.
Best reply to this thread so far.

Fantastic points you've made :messenger_bicep:

Top Bottom