• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Nexus - The Problem with Linus Tech Tips: Accuracy, Ethics, & Responsibility

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
How is that personal information? "I, sankt-Antonio, am going to hire TVexperto to work for me" is violating laws in Canada?
Where you work is personal information.
Even here youll notice people say "my work" or "where I work" but rarely directly disclose where exactly they work.

Its also especially egregious to announce someones new workplace before theyve had a chance to, maybe she hadnt given her notice at her old job.

Last edited:
Not really. People are just calling out his hypocrisy and awful, overly emotional, responses. Even their company response video was in poor taste.

No one is saying he's "literally hitler"... just that he's a bit of a doofus and that they need to do better as a whole.
We must have been reading different threads then lol

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Linus creates entertaining content for people like me who have a casual interest in computer technology, and I usually watch his videos all the way through when I come across them. Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus might be producing better and detailed content, but their videos tend to be boring, especially GN. After all, people probably aren't spending thousands of dollars based on just one video, so they naturally look at other channels too. Fun content tends to attract more attention on YouTube. However, it did surprise me that they found so many mistakes in LTT's videos; that's not ok.

Black_Stride

Linus creates entertaining content for people like me who have a casual interest in computer technology, and I usually watch his videos all the way through when I come across them. Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus might be producing better and detailed content, but their videos tend to be boring, especially GN. After all, people probably aren't spending thousands of dollars based on just one video, so they naturally look at other channels too. Fun content tends to attract more attention on YouTube. However, it did surprise me that they found so many mistakes in LTT's videos; that's not ok.

Thousands of dollars?
An A770 is 300 dollars
An i5 12400 is 150 dollars
A B660/B760 mb is 150 dollars

When you are strapped for cash and need to see how a device performs, you are more likely to trust the biggest PC tech youtuber, that would be LTT........only problem is they are wrong so often your buying decision is skewed even if you watch another review because the first person you would think is wrong is that other youtuber who doesnt even have a full on LTT Lab to test stuff.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Thousands of dollars?
An A770 is 300 dollars

When you are strapped for cash and need to see how a device performs, you are more likely to trust the biggest PC tech youtuber, that would be LTT........only problem is they are wrong so often your buying decision is skewed even if you watch another review because the first person you would think is wrong is that other youtuber who doesnt even have a full on LTT Lab to test stuff.
I don't understand why you got stuck on 'thousands of dollars' part. Even if you misinformed about a $50 product, like a mouse, it's not ok. We think alike, but I guess I was misunderstood. Since I usually watch these channels for GPU comparisons/tests, that's why that price initially came to my mind(4090 rtx is 1600 dollars). It's not logical to defend them when even they themselves are not defending their mistakes.

Black_Stride

I don't understand why you got stuck on 'thousands of dollars' part. Even if you misinformed about a $50 product, like a mouse, it's not ok. We think alike, but I guess I was misunderstood. Since I usually watch these channels for GPU comparisons/tests, that's why that price initially came to my mind(4090 rtx is 1600 dollars). It's not logical to defend them when even they themselves are not defending their mistakes.
Because ive seen this "defence" too many times....people saying if you are spending thousands of dollars you shouldnt base your buying decision on the word of the biggest hardware youtuber, you should be researching much harder.
But thats silly because part of the reason people would trust LTT is because they are the biggest channel, they are supposedly trustworthy and super accurate so why would anyone need to watch another review....also considering people who actually spend thousands of dollars dont need to see reviews they are buying a 4090 and 13900KS/7800X3D so they literally have the best PC money can buy.

Its people who are budgeting their builds who are really affected by fucked up reviews
And they fuck up on near every review.

The 5600X3D is 250 dollars and they fucked up that review.
If they fuck up a CPU cooler review and show it performing way out of spec, obviously a conscious buyer isnt going to look at that cooler and will instead opt for the much more expensive Noctua because LTT (sponsored by Noctua) says its absolutely great and they trust it in all their builds......even if their own graph shows the cooler throttling(wait what?)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Thousands of dollars?
An A770 is 300 dollars

Lol yeah good luck.
You can build cheaper than thousands. Maybe a thousand but the rig won’t be too spectacular

Ironbunny

People really like witch hunts...even today. Water has just been replaced with drowning number of hate mail. Linus is now satan reincarnated...

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
biggest hardware youtuber
I mean, if a person's description includes the name of a YouTuber, I already approach them cautiously. What does holding the title of the "biggest" YouTuber really signify? We're talking about channels that can attract millions of children as subscribers. I believe some people take YouTube too seriously. There have been numerous websites on the internet doing this for years. Even when seeking opinions from them, I visit a couple of sites and also check user comments. This industry has many individuals sponsored by these companies. Additionally, 4090 might be the latest GPU, but it might not have impressed someone looking to upgrade. When the 3090 came out, it seemed like the top choice for many, but it was proven to be a poor decision in a very short time, as a lot of people suggested.

Kenpachii

madison-on-her-ltt-experience-v0-ox9mg6df2fib1.jpg

Sounds like a stable person, wouldn't take anything she says seriously really.

Last edited:

Kdad

Does it matter if they are 'stable'? Your employer has a duty of care to address your health care issues or performance issues. What this says is LMG doesn't have proper HR protocols for a company its size. It doesnt actually matter what the health care issue is, broken leg, depression, anxiety all deserve proper HR and health care attention. If it truly turns out to be a non health issue but a time management issue then they have a duty to help address that. AFAIK these folks are not hired as contractors but as employees. Does this require pitchforks, probably not, but it does require LMG fix its house.

*Spoken from the point of view of someone that had what first looked like major time management skill issues that were affecting performance at my employer 26 years ago. With proper oversight by my employer it ended up I had undiagnosed depression and personality disorders and we had health care that allowed me to take time away, get treatment and address the issues. The vast majority of people with mental health issues can't self diagnose what their issue is and just 'fix it' themselves. I'm still with this employer today.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Yeah this Madison seems to be a bit of a weird person. And what if the criticism of her work as dog shit is, well, true? Not everyone who has a job (and btw who signs a work contract without even knowing what salary they are going to earn? That’s the one big thing I want and need to know before I put that pen to the paper and sign…) delivers good work. Some people are just bad hires. Maybe people just disliked her because her work was not up to the standard, and she was an unlikeable snowflake, and when they got to know her better and felt she wasn’t a good fit she got the cold shoulder. I’m not saying that’s 100% how it was, but it really wouldn’t surprise me.

FUBARx89

Careful, might cut yourself with that edge.

What a shitty take though, she could of been fine prior to what she claims has been happening. Workplace stress can lead to depression and anxiety. Say she was suffering them 3 things at once, she's clearly not going to be thinking properly and self harm can turn into a plausible answer when ya pysche is fucked.

Patrick S.

Banned
Careful, might cut yourself with that edge.

What a shitty take though, she could have been fine prior to what she claims has been happening. Workplace stress can lead to depression and anxiety. Say she was suffering them 3 things at once, she's clearly not going to be thinking properly and self harm can turn into a plausible answer when ya pysche is fucked.
Nah man, this person is a psycho. Making a deep cut in your leg so you can go to the doctor? What a total nutcase. This person doesn’t need a job, she needs therapy.

Kdad

Nah man, this person is a psycho. Making a deep cut in your leg so you can go to the doctor? What a total nutcase. This person doesn’t need a job, she needs therapy.
Reread what you just said...then determine if their employer acted in the interest of their employee given what we currently know.

Maybe some people in this board are from shit holes where labour protection isn't a thing. In BC it is a thing. Employers have obligations.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Cutting your leg open to take a day off isn't a rational act, that much is certain. But I do know that there are plenty of companies that frown on taking days off. I was fired once because I had a year where I was having health issues and took several sick days. The company never asked for doctor's excuses or documentation, which I had. On the day they fired me, I presented them with all the documentation. They barely glanced at it and said "it doesn't matter". Not saying LMG is like that or that this Madison person is telling the truth. But the mentality she is describing is a real thing for many. At the same time, I've known plenty of people who abuse their sick day benefits. But in this case there isn't enough information here to judge either way, imo.

Patrick S.

Banned
Reread what you just said...then determine if their employer acted in the interest of their employee given what we currently know.

Maybe some people in this board are from shit holes where labour protection isn't a thing. In BC it is a thing. Employers have obligations.
Yeah I get that. But when you have 99 people who are well integrated into your business and then you hire this one new person that disappoints with bad work and bad social skills plus mental problems and drama, it doesn’t surprise me that the employer has little to no interest in dealing with this difficult person. An employer isn’t a mental health institution is it? You can’t just say “Haha suckers, I’m here now, now you have to bend over backwards and make me feel loved and accept my subpar work!”. No, man. If you are THAT unhappy, leave. If you need therapy, get therapy. Don’t slice open your legs because that’ll give you a reason to go to the doctor. It’s better for everyone involved. This person did bad work and above was a nutcase and I don’t blame any employer who wanted her gone. And how typical of someone like her to hop on Twitter and air all the dirty laundry for thousands of people to read.

By the way, I’m currently having extra workload at my job because there’s this person who is transgender and she/he hasn’t been at work for months now, and my boss can’t fire this person and has to pay him/her their salary. Before this person left she was an absolute douche and a snowflake who couldn’t take a single word of constructive criticism, and we’re ALL happy to not see her stupid face in the office. So yeah, this Madison person sounds veeeeeeery familiar to my own experiences I’ve lived with people at my job.

Edit: I’m not saying people don’t have the right for protection etc. Of course they do. What I’m saying is, for an employer and for the other colleagues, it’s a nightmare having to deal with stuff like this.

Last edited:

TrueGrime

She can't be taken seriously because she got hammered down mentally by her job, brought it to their attention, and got hammered down even more. And because of that, she fell into a dark place of self-harm and that makes her unstable enough not to be taken seriously?

I hate the fucking internet sometimes.

Last edited:

Techies

I always thought myself to be more knowledgeable than Linus when it comes to computer hardware. For years I was part of an online trading community in South Africa and those guys had the cud fever.

Since I know so much (or knew, I care less these days), when I really want info or an educated opinion about something gamer nexus is closest youtube personality I know about that I can vouch for as legit.

Maybe Linus knows more these than I do, but he had some real bad takes/advice in the past.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
She can't be taken seriously because she got hammered down mentally by her job, brought it to their attention, and got hammered down even more. And because of that, she fell into a dark place of self-harm and that makes her unstable enough not to be taken seriously?

A lot of hard asses here, no wonder male suicide rate is so high.

TrueGrime

A lot of hard asses here, no wonder male suicide rate is so high.

It's a very sore issue with me.

Before my unit deployed to Iraq, one of my best friends winded up confiding her feelings for me and wanted to start a relationship when I got back. It was amazing because I had the same feelings for her, but didn't want to ruin our friendship with my personal feelings. When I got deployed, she and her sister winded up passing away in a car wreck and because my unit was so busy with the war, the Marines couldn't afford to lose me by sending me back to the states for a week or so for her funeral because she was not next of kin to me. Suffice to say, I feel into a really dark place. Really dark. Devastating enough to think about ending my life. Had my weapon next to me while racking out thinking about when I'd do it, but a good friend of mine noticed the signs and reported it. I was pretty fucking pissed at him for doing it because I got relieved of duty almost instantly, weapons being taken away, under watch, etc. Obviously couldn't see it then, but he probably saved me from making the last decision I'd ever make.

M1chl

It's a very sore issue with me.

Before my unit deployed to Iraq, one of my best friends winded up confiding her feelings for me and wanted to start a relationship when I got back. It was amazing because I had the same feelings for her, but didn't want to ruin our friendship with my personal feelings. When I got deployed, she and her sister winded up passing away in a car wreck and because my unit was so busy with the war, the Marines couldn't afford to lose me by sending me back to the states for a week or so for her funeral because she was not next of kin to me. Suffice to say, I feel into a really dark place. Really dark. Devastating enough to think about ending my life. Had my weapon next to me while racking out thinking about when I'd do it, but a good friend of mine noticed the signs and reported it. I was pretty fucking pissed at him for doing it because I got relieved of duty almost instantly, weapons being taken away, under watch, etc. Obviously couldn't see it then, but he probably saved me from making the last decision I'd ever make.
Drama - Community - Event - PSA: Don't drink alcohol too much. Liver transplant experience. NeoGAF special edition. | NeoGAF

My story. Glad you didn't do it. Keep on going

TrueGrime

M1chl

Read it! Quite the read my friend. I hope you've been going MUCH better since that was posted. Takes a lot to share something like that with complete strangers and I hope you're better for doing it.
I am, yet I am really young to get this vital organ, I already developed immunity against it, so its not all roses and bunnies. That shit really opened my eyes, what kind of self-inflicted wound I did on myself. I changed, yet I wish I would have some redo...

TrueGrime

I am, yet I am really young to get this vital organ, I already developed immunity against it, so its not all roses and bunnies. That shit really opened my eyes, what kind of self-inflicted wound I did on myself. I changed, yet I wish I would have some redo...

I don't meet to go down the path of absolute darkness, but Ana's (the lady I spoke about) story was extra tragic for me. Not only did Ana and her sister lose their life in that crash, but their family suffered another tragedy when Ana's mother and father were killed in a murder-suicide (The father being the shooter). Being close with their family, I also had to go through that.

I'm glad you got a second chance man and it sounds like you're making the most out of it.

M1chl

I don't meet to go down the path of absolute darkness, but Ana's (the lady I spoke about) story was extra tragic for me. Not only did Ana and her sister lose their life in that crash, but their family suffered another tragedy when Ana's mother and father were killed in a murder-suicide (The father being the shooter). Being close with their family, I also had to go through that.

I'm glad you got a second chance man and it sounds like you're making the most out of it.

For me it was also relationships, but not nearly as tragic...for her...

Topher

Gold Member

Wow....man. First time seeing that. Had no idea you went through all that. Glad you are still with us, bro.

And your story and what TrueGrime TrueGrime posted is why I try to remind myself that I need to resist being judgmental of what happens in the personal lives of others. You never know what those people are going through.

M1chl

Wow....man. First time seeing that. Had no idea you went through all that. Glad you are still with us, bro.

And your story and what TrueGrime TrueGrime posted is why I try to remind myself that I need to resist being judgmental of what happens in the personal lives of others. You never know what those people are going through.
Or just not to pretend, that would be a start, because there is a lot of "oh I might write some tough comment, so bros will think I am cool". Its ok to be human

Black_Stride

I always thought myself to be more knowledgeable than Linus when it comes to computer hardware. For years I was part of an online trading community in South Africa and those guys had the cud fever.

Since I know so much (or knew, I care less these days), when I really want info or an educated opinion about something gamer nexus is closest youtube personality I know about that I can vouch for as legit.

Maybe Linus knows more these than I do, but he had some real bad takes/advice in the past.

Carbonite?

FingerBang

I think that's one way to see it. My point of view is that she is not stable because getting to self harm when you can just lie or quit (like she did) is not something that I would consider healthy behavior, if you're in a good place of mind. And if that's how she reacts, I think she might also see things from a different perspective.

I don't think all she says is invalid, I believe she's telling her truth about the situation, but also believe her state of mind might have played a part in what she saw there. So it's probably true she was overworked (but so were all of the others) but some of the other stuff is mostly her words and perception against whoever is responsible, be it Linus or anyone else.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Gave up on him about 2 months ago when every video was a sponsored review...has it gotten better?
I gave up on him during all the hysteria with the 12VHPWR connectors melting, when he made some clickbait videos wrongly explaining the root cause (and I’m sure getting tons of views).

Meanwhile Gamers Nexus successfully replicated the failure and sent it off to a failure analysis lab and made a video on the findings, instead of sacrificing their integrity in order to be the first one with a scary YouTube thumbnail

Top Bottom