• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Nexus - The Problem with Linus Tech Tips: Accuracy, Ethics, & Responsibility

He does in depths technical reviews and critiques of hardware. Why is he insufferable, because Steve doesn't take shit from vendors?
I've tried watching a few times and he just comes across holier then though and pretty PCMR which I find pathetic. I don't know I could be wrong but it's just the vibe I've gotten.

I also don't generally hate YouTubers that make "I'm gonna shit on another content creator" so this whole thing just put me off more whether he's correct or not. I love The Act Man but I also disliked when he make the drama videos with that one guy.

StereoVsn

I've tried watching a few times and he just comes across holier then though and pretty PCMR which I find pathetic. I don't know I could be wrong but it's just the vibe I've gotten.

I also don't generally hate YouTubers that make "I'm gonna shit on another content creator" so this whole thing just put me off more whether he's correct or not. I love The Act Man but I also disliked when he make the drama videos with that one guy.
This post makes 0 sense. The whole saga started when LTT made comments again GN. GN made an objective video calling out bad practices by LTT. LTT made a shitty response and GN made last video they would do on the subject.

In general their reviews are objective and try to be as accurate as they can. There is no hoiler then though attitude unless you take them going after bad practices by vendors as that. Which is just GN doing their job.

This post makes 0 sense. The whole saga started when LTT made comments again GN. GN made an objective video calling out bad practices by LTT. LTT made a shitty response and GN made last video they would do on the subject.

In general their reviews are objective and try to be as accurate as they can. There is no hoiler then though attitude unless you take them going after bad practices by vendors as that. Which is just GN doing their job.
I don't really watch LTT either unless something pops up on my feed I'm interested in. I just mentioned that because it was just another thing that put me off. I don't actually know or care about the story behind it

It's cool if you like him and watch the videos. I just don't care for him, and that has been my impression 🤷‍♂️. I also don't really sub to any pc hardware tech channels outside of TechTesters (I think that is what it called, it's a Dutch woman).

Last edited:

peish

people keep saying this, that Linus started the whole disrespect saga against Gn, i asked around and just not able to find which article Linus attacked Steve?

certainly not to extend of digging through old content and weaving a story over minute issues that is imo plain character assassination which Steve unleashed? the bits about sponsors and typos are sneakily retold by Steve as if they are unethical shadowy dirty money...

yes Linus has a hiring problem, unprofessional if you will, but that's 'silicon valley tech bros', but creating hateful content against another YouTuber, direct call out, click bait video title, im not seeing any from linus.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

people keep saying this, that Linus started the whole disrespect saga against Gn, i asked around and just not able to find which article Linus attacked Steve?

certainly not to extend of digging through old content and weaving a story over minute issues that is imo plain character assassination which Steve unleashed? the bits about sponsors and typos are sneakily retold by Steve as if they are unethical shadowy dirty money...

yes Linus has a hiring problem, unprofessional if you will, but that's 'silicon valley tech bros', but creating hateful content against another YouTuber, direct call out, click bait video title, im not seeing any from linus.
It's a video on Linus channel (don't remember which one). Should be top of the thread.

And now nothing sneaky about pointing out that LTT is not inclined to question Noctua performance when Noctua is a major sponsor. Just one example. Framework is another one.

peish

It's a video on Linus channel (don't remember which one). Should be top of the thread.

And now nothing sneaky about pointing out that LTT is not inclined to question Noctua performance when Noctua is a major sponsor. Just one example. Framework is another one.

i always find linus transparent after sponsors and never hard sell his sponsors or over look the flaws, that's why i find Gn venomous and indignant narrative tone makes no sense.

im sure he knew producing this kind of video against linus constitute a direct attack on linus character, destroy his channel, yet he still went ahead, with friends like him, who needs enemy? imagine someone here dig through your post history and found something they can stir an unfair story to make you look scummy, this steve for me now.

again can you time stamp linus attack on Steve that deserving the kind of response drama gn loves to stir?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

That’s all true. Gn is insufferable and goes on and on and on about least significant details. Holy pcmr attitude and drama. Like when he benched ps5 memory running hot and made a drama about it. Who cares?! These don’t fail

StereoVsn

i always find linus transparent after sponsors and never hard sell his sponsors or over look the flaws, that's why i find Gn venomous and indignant narrative tone makes no sense.

im sure he knew producing this kind of video against linus constitute a direct attack on linus character, destroy his channel, yet he still went ahead, with friends like him, who needs enemy? imagine someone here dig through your post history and found something they can stir an unfair story to make you look scummy, this steve for me now.

again can you time stamp linus attack on Steve that deserving the kind of response drama gn loves to stir?
I am not going to bother finding timestamps, you can go ahead and look in the OP yourself.

For the sponsors, reviewing sponsor content like with Noctua, then making factual mistakes in the review that leave that said sponsor in better light (mistakes were probably accidental), AND not pulling the video to change it appropriately is not a good look.

Framework investment is again the other issue. He may have been transparent on the investment, but any review and discussion is treated with kids gloves.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad

It's a company. Bad practices should be called out. Always! It doesn't matter how "bro" the company is.

peish

I am not going to bother finding timestamps, you can go ahead and look in the OP yourself.

For the sponsors, reviewing sponsor content like with Noctua, then making factual mistakes in the review that leave that said sponsor in better light (mistakes were probably accidental), AND not pulling the video to change it appropriately is not a good look.

Framework investment is again the other issue. He may have been transparent on the investment, but any review and discussion is treated with kids gloves.

steve also make mistakes and kept quiet too, i posted about it.

this is why my respect for his pcmr attitude is all time low now

Ironbunny

Every content creator is now trying to suck some currency from this LTT drama. One of the most dishonest have been my countrys media that has been labeling this drama as sexual allegation issue.

FingerBang

He always was. It is just that his fake nice guy persona prevented him from being seen as one.
Yeah, but also who cares? Plenty of people in entertainment are assholes. I don't get the MeToo moment he's supposed to be having.

Yes, they fucked up and were unprofessional and they need to do better, even if that means releasing fewer videos.

No, they're not supposed to start being nice to fans around the world to make that happen

Celcius

°Temp. member

At first it was shocking to hear how Linus treats people in real life but after that apology forum response I’m not surprised at all. Apparently Linus has been a jerk this whole time but we thought he was a “bro” because of how he acts on camera. I guess that just goes to show you have to be careful about parasocial relationships.

winjer

Gold Member
At first it was shocking to hear how Linus treats people in real life but after that apology forum response I’m not surprised at all. Apparently Linus has been a jerk this whole time but we thought he was a “bro” because of how he acts on camera. I guess that just goes to show you have to be careful about parasocial relationships.

Luke seems to be a much nicer guy.
But he can only do so much, to curb Linus worst tendencies.

crumbs

Luke seems to be a much nicer guy.
But he can only do so much, to curb Linus worst tendencies.
Indeed. It was telling that during the WAN show segment about Billet Labs, Linus was making these lame-ass excuses and twisting himself into knots to justify his decision-making, but it was Luke quietly remarking at the end that they could have just tested it properly. Yes Luke, that is what someone with integrity would do.

I wonder if the WAN show survives the fallout of these scandals? Between the backpack warranty issue and the Billet Labs stuff, the WAN show tends to be where Linus' mask slips off.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
What a piece of crap.
I'm surprised, actually. He did look like an ok guy.

Tams

It started out with a non-YouTube personality at LMG making an arrogant remark in an obscure behind the scenes tour.

Which then led to Steve going on this tirade to which he 'brought the receipts'. Only the main 'receipt' that he 'brought' turned out to be at best inaccurate or he didn't understand it properly. Well, that's being generous and assuming he wasn't being malicious.

He absolutely comes across as incredibly smug and holier than thou. I can't stand to watch any of his videos.

And now he seems to be trying to take credit for the changes at LMG, which if you give it even an iota of thought, were and would have had to have been many months in the making. You don't get a CEO like Terran just like that. The founder CEO of a company doesn't just step back suddenly. Reviews of workload and production strategy aren't just done on a whim.

All that GN managed to achieve was LMG going dark for a week in order to appease the raging masses. Frankly, I'd have rather if they'd just carried on.

depilacao-shaving.gif

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm very happy to see them back at it. Were sorely missed as far as the content goes. Half way through the WAN show, the boys are back.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

Some quick thoughts.
Well made video.

Still doesn't mention GN.
No mention of Madison but screenshot shows they are not allowed to mention anything specific during current investigations.
Basically said everything is the same but they will triple check video production.

Kdad

It started out with a non-YouTube personality at LMG making an arrogant remark in an obscure behind the scenes tour.

Which then led to Steve going on this tirade to which he 'brought the receipts'. Only the main 'receipt' that he 'brought' turned out to be at best inaccurate or he didn't understand it properly. Well, that's being generous and assuming he wasn't being malicious.

He absolutely comes across as incredibly smug and holier than thou. I can't stand to watch any of his videos.

And now he seems to be trying to take credit for the changes at LMG, which if you give it even an iota of thought, were and would have had to have been many months in the making. You don't get a CEO like Terran just like that. The founder CEO of a company doesn't just step back suddenly. Reviews of workload and production strategy aren't just done on a whim.

All that GN managed to achieve was LMG going dark for a week in order to appease the raging masses. Frankly, I'd have rather if they'd just carried on.
No, it did not. It started almost a year ago now. The rest of your post is based on a statement that is false.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Terren Tong is not the CEO of LMG. Now, I know that is his title, but Linus is still the chief executive of the company. He still calls the shots. He sets the tone. His fake title "Chief Vision Officer" makes that clear. He is the public face of the company. Now what is Tong, he handles day-to-day operations. He's the COO. Improving the processes and error-checking is absolutely within his purview, but did it come on his radar before the GN video? No way of knowing.

The changes they are making is to slow down a bit and double check shit, you don't need months of planning to do that. My assumption is they did not do that because Linus' "vision" was daily output and that did not change when Tong was brought on board.

Celcius

°Temp. member
This is the video they should have made the first time, rather than all of the jokes and merch plugs.

Kdad

This is the video they should have made the first time, rather than all of the jokes and merch plugs.
For me the worst thing about that video was Terren participating and approving it (presumably). This is the first crisis of his short tenure and this is what you come up with? I have zero hope for Terren, its a back slap favour to an ex boss by Linus and LMG needs someone that isn't part of the gang to do the job. Yes, Terren has had senior positions...he hasn't had a senior position at a Media company where the instantaneous nature and the public facing nature are all ticking time bombs needing management.

Last edited:
Yeah, but also who cares? Plenty of people in entertainment are assholes. I don't get the MeToo moment he's supposed to be having.

Yes, they fucked up and were unprofessional and they need to do better, even if that means releasing fewer videos.

No, they're not supposed to start being nice to fans around the world to make that happen
Nobody said anything about being nice to fans. The problem woth him is that he let success get to his head, just like your avg dsp.
He has been saying and doing stupid shit fkr years. It is about fucking time someone checked him on his bs.

Tams

No, it did not. It started almost a year ago now. The rest of your post is based on a statement that is false.

So you're just going to call me wrong without elaborating? How is that supposed to convince me or people like me that we're wrong?

Tams

Terren Tong is not the CEO of LMG. Now, I know that is his title, but Linus is still the chief executive of the company. He still calls the shots. He sets the tone. His fake title "Chief Vision Officer" makes that clear. He is the public face of the company. Now what is Tong, he handles day-to-day operations. He's the COO. Improving the processes and error-checking is absolutely within his purview, but did it come on his radar before the GN video? No way of knowing.

The changes they are making is to slow down a bit and double check shit, you don't need months of planning to do that. My assumption is they did not do that because Linus' "vision" was daily output and that did not change when Tong was brought on board.

At least stick to facts.

Nick Light is the COO.

The whole 'CVO' thing is clearly so that Linus can still have an full on role in running the company rather than annoying everyone from the outside as the co-owner.

But you don't just hire a CEO so that you can cover yourself. 1. That would be a sure fire way to see them quit very quickly. 2. They cost a lot of money that you don't just piss away like that.

diffusionx

Gold Member
At least stick to facts.

Nick Light is the COO.

The whole 'CVO' thing is clearly so that Linus can still have an full on role in running the company rather than annoying everyone from the outside as the co-owner.

But you don't just hire a CEO so that you can cover yourself. 1. That would be a sure fire way to see them quit very quickly. 2. They cost a lot of money that you don't just piss away like that.
He’s still the co-owner though. He still runs everything. He’s still the CEO. Everyone knows that. Nothing substantive has changed on that front. Nobody seriously thinks he took a step back on anything. Not even they do, because he was the one in the mea culpa video they released yesterday.

In summary this corporate structure is idiotic and a confusing mess. I mentioned this when the first video about it came out and nothing has made me think differently. I would not be surprised if Tong doesn’t last long because, again, he’s not running the company. He’s not the CEO.

Last edited:

Tams

He’s still the co-owner though. He still runs everything. He’s still the CEO. Everyone knows that. Nothing substantive has changed on that front. Nobody seriously thinks he took a step back on anything. Not even they do, because he was the one in the mea culpa video they released yesterday.

In summary this corporate structure is idiotic and a confusing mess. I mentioned this when the first video about it came out and nothing has made me think differently. I would not be surprised if Tong doesn’t last long because, again, he’s not running the company. He’s not the CEO.

That's all supposition and you have no evidence to back any of it up.

Kdad

So you're just going to call me wrong without elaborating? How is that supposed to convince me or people like me that we're wrong?
Frankly, yes.

Read the thread.

It's been pointed out multiple times how GN got to the point of releasing their recent video. You're commenting without even knowing what's been discussed it seems.

Last edited:
Stops videos for a week. Decides to imply layoffs could happen. What kind of dingy shit operation is this ? I thought they're worth 120 Million USD ? Lool ALSO can he just fucking stop with the teary eyed puppy eyes look with these videos. He looks like a sociopath, we all know he's pretending and is now in hot water. lol

Tams

Frankly, yes.

Read the thread.

It's been pointed out multiple times how GN got to the point of releasing their recent video. You're commenting without even knowing what's been discussed it seems.

All of these are minor issues that did not warrant a 45 minute rant trying to ruin someone's reputation.

LMG's accuracy: Has long been known to be lacking, and for any review, double-checking with a website like NotebookCheck has always been what anyone should do. LMG has long been known to be about form over function, or rather entertaining over informing. LMG has acknowledged before that they need to improve on their accuracy.

The waterblock: Billet Labs fucked up by not making a legal agreement over their supposed lone prototype. Further, the conclusion still stands whether it on a 4090 or 3090: it's a niche mod that is for the very few (who should also be more than double-checking information, or just have the money to burn).

Framework: Repeatedly disclosed, with clear efforts to show that they do not let it prejudice their reviews of other laptops. Linus has been a bit of an arrogant clown regarding the specifics on the Framework devices, but Framework's CEO has made a clear effort to prevent that becoming an issue.

Overwork: From what we can tell, LMG employees are well reimbursed for their work. There has been too much pressure to produce videos, but that has been acknowledged for a while and there are signs that they have been taking steps to address this.

We all know that Linus can be an arrogant little prick at times. But the unfounded vitriol that has come out is, well, if he were in the UK he'd have very good grounds for taking people to court for defamation.

It's not like GN are innocent. Their deskpad anyone? Or should we just not mention that? Or how about Steve's rants that go on about industrial processes that quite frequently are wrong?

Top Bottom