• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Be grateful for GAF's gaming discussion because the amount of trash gaming communities in other sites like Reddit is appalling.

Jon Neu

Banned
I've seen plenty of threads that did the opposite. I remember we had tons of them constantly spreading FUD about the PS5 before it launched.
There's so much more Sony fans here, the narrative it's always in favour of Sony in every thread every time.

You just have to go to any thread that is supposed to be "platform agnostic", like for example the next gen analysis thread, and you will see that is literally another thread completely dedicated to praise Sony and mock Xbox. It's literally Sony posters talking to each other for most of it's run. Hell, even some Xbox dedicated threads are mostly Sony posters talking to each other.

Basically unless you eliminate a fanbase completely it will never be ideal for the others.

Well, I don't know if you noticed, but how many Xbox fans are left? And how many of them dare to be vocal?

It's me, Barnkastel or whatever his name is and maybe a few other regulars.

TheFawz

Every community turns into an echo chamber eventually, and tends to gravitate towards cynical criticism/negativity with a proclivity to pick sides and dogpile on the opposite stance from the popular one. This site is no different, case and point threads like this which don't look to celebrate what is happening on this board but making fun of what is happening on other boards

There’s a difference between criticism and toxic trolling and there seems to be a lot of Xbox fans that tend to be very sensitive to criticism.

I’ve been very vocal against Phil’s direction, lack of launch game support, and blatantly false advertising. Is that trolling?

No, but a bunch of cry babies reported a post critical of the XSX launch and I ended up getting banned from the Next Gen speculation thread a while back.

there shouldn’t be a problem with critical posts, but there’s a lot of posting in bad faith with completely false information and FUD, did you not pay attention to the PS5 reveal? That’s far more toxic IMO, trying to spread a narrative of huge fiascos when there is none to be had.

stop trying to play a victim when not everyone has to love the piece of plastic you love. And honestly I’d love to own an Xbox again but we’re a far ways away from that happening until it has compelling software for it. Hopefully Phil’s investments pan out, because it’s depressing to launch a next gen console without any exciting content. If they do turn it around in a few years you will see plenty of praise for Microsoft. Let’s all hope Everwild, Perfect Dark, Avowed, Fable, and Hellblade are good. If they are, MS will have a hell of a good lineup and there will undoubtedly be a lot of justified praise here

but that doesn’t mean there’s some huge agenda against the platform. Just different tastes. I hope this place doesn’t transform into REEE where fans are Silo’d into their own safe space threads and if you dare criticize any company in those threads the mob will just mass report you and get their wish for you to be banned.

Last edited:

Fredrik

There's so much more Sony fans here, the narrative it's always in favour of Sony in every thread every time.

You just have to go to any thread that is supposed to be "platform agnostic", like for example the next gen analysis thread, and you will see that is literally another thread completely dedicated to praise Sony and mock Xbox. It's literally Sony posters talking to each other for most of it's run. Hell, even some Xbox dedicated threads are mostly Sony posters talking to each other.

Well, I don't know if you noticed, but how many Xbox fans are left? And how many of them dare to be vocal?

Playstation is simply a bigger brand, I’ve just been here for about two weeks after a hiatus and I haven’t noticed that GAF is worse than any other enthusiast place or worse than it was before. Playstation and PC are the biggest platforms for enthusiast gamers so generally speaking that’s what people will talk about. But I’m sure there will be more Xbox talk once the 1st party flood gates are opened. Right now the platform is in an awkward position with few big 1st party releases and no multiplat advantage.

There is Retroarch though ❤️ I just found out that I could use Remote Play for Retroarch on the iPad Pro, some added latency but fully working and super awesome.

Hudo

I think NeoGAF is great but I wouldn't say that it isn't as trashy as any other community. I have yet to find an online community for anything that isn't trash.

It's just that this particular kind of trash pile we have here smells the least worst to me.

EDIT: But the politics forum is, as any other politics forum, just plain fucking garbage without any merits whatsoever. It's hot take city with armchair experts, apparently all in possession of multiple PhDs in various fields.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
You guys act like Sony isn't the dominant force in the console industry. They are. They whipped the Xbox this past generation. Hell, Nintendo whipped them too. That's why you see more sony fans here. It's because there's simply more of them.

Loope

get out GIF
That's exactly what he said he will be doing, staying out. :D

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Just look at this trash post on the r/PS5 subreddit and it's literally on the front page with "thread awards" given to it:

Be grateful we still have GAF as a forum instead of being forced to participate with these other trashbin communities out there on the internet.

Seems like reddit is a reversed version of Gaf.

If it really is that much of a problem for you maybe you should ask the admins to ban Sony fans to make the site more balanced. Then there's always the option to convince others to join NeoGaf so you can get more of a certain fanbase here.

Unfortunately the market is heavily skewed towards the PlayStation brand so you're probably going to find more PlayStation fans no matter where you go. Like NeoGaf for example.

Truth is this is EviLore EviLore site and he allows us to post here. From what I've seen many different games join this site and some of them end up leaving it. Whether is because they can't tolerate a certain fanbase or they get permabanned for their bahavior you can't ask the admins to eliminate a certain group just so you can find this place filled with people who support your ideals.

Like always you have the option to accept gaf the way it is an continue to post here or you can leave gaf and find somewhere where most people agree with you.

P.S I don't personally believe that gaf is run by a bunch of Sony fanboys or that it was created to be a safe space for them. Wherever the community is like is mostly based off the current conditions in the market. When PlayStation fails and Xbox takes over you will start to see alot more Xbox fans in the site.

Last edited:

Md Ray

It's fine. Gaf can be a difficult time for everyone depending on what's happening here. The GitHub leaks spread a wave of FUD that made alot of playstation fans very uncomfortable here. Now that the systems are out there's retaliation from them and now the other side doesn't feel comfortable here. I admit that I participated in some of that and while a little can be fun there's always a limit to what should be allowed here. I'll try my best to stop harassing the FUD believers as they already ate plenty of crow and I really don't want to make this place hell for them.

Hopefully we can all tone things down a bit to make this place better for everyone.
I'm with you on this one.

We treat people fairly from the top down regardless of platform preferences. Whatever outcomes you see in terms of fan support are organic and derived from market realities.

I've never posted in Gaf in the PS3/X360 days but I can imagine it was quite different back then. I was definitely part of N4G during that time period and I did notice a shift during the PS4/X1 generation.

I guess in the end it's like you said. Basically the current market situation reflects the state of the forums. It does make sense but unfortunately it's going to make the forums uncomfortable for some people.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Reddit has at least three disparate, dealbreaker problems:

-Full democracy. Would be great if most people weren’t stupid

-Corrupt, power-hungry moderation. Too many people are there to push an agenda, rather than keep a site clean and readable. Mods are allowed to gobble up subreddit after subreddit too, which only exacerbates the problem

-Corporate influence. Partially to do with the second reason selling out to the highest bidder in some cases. We joke about astroturfing here, mostly with people that are a bit too obsessed or biased, but Reddit has actual astroturfing and manipulation

Put it all under typical Silicon Valley CEOs that will bounce to another job in a year or two, and don’t give a shit, beyond their next paycheck, and you have an absolute cesspool of a forum.
(huh for some reason i was expecting to see something far, far worse in the OP 🤭)

I tried using Reddit for a few days but its so annoying, they keep removing my posts because they weren't on X thread with Y tag or i wasn't using the app then i couldn't even find the tag they were asking for. >:^( i never looked back.everything feels so bureaucratic there.

it should be ok for individual/small gamming communities though 🎮 🏒🎲

Last edited:
Reddit has been on the decline for a while now, part of that decline involved silencing voices that don't fit their narrative, so when people say "GAF is worse because we allow x, y and z" I think... "go post on Reddit, soyboy"

Drewpee

Banned
Just look at this trash post on the r/PS5 subreddit and it's literally on the front page with "thread awards" given to it:

Be grateful we still have GAF as a forum instead of being forced to participate with these other trashbin communities out there on the internet.

If your favorite company is Sony then this is a great place to be. If you prefer Microsoft then Sonygaf can be a cess pool. Even Nintendo is becoming a focus of hate here.

Some folks starting to sound like Sega fans in 2001. It's gonna be okay. After the exodus of the Xbox One era... I told folks it was gonna be worse this coming gen but some folks don't wanna face reality.

As for OP. r/PS5 is a rather nice place. Not sure why he hating... if you got a problem with it you know who to DM.

Last edited:
I would be far happier if we got OT for each game with active community.

Currently all threads that are enduring look the same. Fanboys duking it out.

Oh and dont get me started on this thread. not only did MHK did piss poor job with OT (a new low), amount of cringe floating around is mind boggling.

kLkri6w.gif

Hudo

You're just all lucky that there isn't a Stadia fanbase. I imagine them to be even worse than the Sony fanbase, lol.

Umbral

This site is just as bad. If anything, anything at all gets down attention or love for MS either console or games, it becomes Sony pony show. Harder to come here these days just to even check gaming news.
You are welcome to love the lesser console company, we’ll still accept you here.

Joking aside, GAF is way better than any other place I’ve seen. Reddit is obnoxious.

Last edited:

Calverz

This site is just as bad. If anything, anything at all gets down attention or love for MS either console or games, it becomes Sony pony show. Harder to come here these days just to even check gaming news.
This is true. Iv come to realise this since coming back. Its still better than twitter though. Some amount of fucktards making the dumbest arguments iv ever seen on there.

Rickyiez

Have you guys even checked out the RTX and Radeon GPU threads? Some of the fanboys are starting to become delusional🤦‍♂️

Coupled with more trashy threads like this, in really worried about the state of Neogaf right now.

Last edited:

AmateurPong

It's not so bad if you stay out of braindead cesspools like the 'analysis' thread, and filter out the worst offenders. Fanboy trolls aside, GAF is one of the few places on the internet without power tripping moderators stifling discussion with brutal censorship.

Reddit is pretty trash for any real discussion, even the smaller subs I used to like are becoming hive minds filled with [removed] comments. Half the time the posts I think I'm making are being shadow removed and actually invisible to everyone else, and you get zero notifications about that. Tools like revddit really illuminate the level of censorship going on.

Jon Neu

Banned
If it really is that much of a problem for you maybe you should ask the admins to ban Sony fans to make the site more balanced. Then there's always the option to convince others to join NeoGaf so you can get more of a certain fanbase here.

I'd never advised for permabanning people, if I was the admin of this site I would be a really terrible one, because under my reign of terror, nobody would be banned (except the most heavy stuff, obviously). At the end of the day, we are just chatting about toys.

I wish I could come up with a solution, because I think right now we are in a situation that isn't the best for having actual discussions and engaging conversations. And I don't think it's good for Sony fans neither, because if there aren't Xbox voices, then there are no console wars, there are no discussions, and then it's just a circle-jerk with people patting each other's backs. In that scenario, the only way to have a discussion is to simulate one and claim what the other side is saying without actual voices from the other side saying a thing. That to me it's terribly disingenuous and more importantly, incredibly boring.

It happens a lot in the politics forum too. And I'm rarely in the same page as people like Nobody_Important Nobody_Important or SF Kosmo SF Kosmo , but I absolutely love that they are always there offering a different point of view to break the circle-jerking a little bit.

And I would say the same if it was the other way around, if it was the MS fanbase running the narrative with that much power. It's not even really about Sony or MS, it's just a situation that I don't like.

But again, I can't offer a solution, just giving my 2 cents. Maybe is true that when things start to go better for the XsX there would be a more balanced situation, I don't know. I hope so.

Last edited:
I'd never advised for permabanning people, if I was the admin of this site I would be a really terrible one, because under my reign of terror, nobody would be banned (except the most heavy stuff, obviously). At the end of the day, we are just chatting about toys.

I wish I could come up with a solution, because I think right now we are in a situation that isn't the best for having actual discussions and engaging conversations. And I don't think it's good for Sony fans neither, because if there aren't Xbox voices, then there are no console wars, there are no discussions, and then it's just a circle-jerk with people patting each other's backs. In that scenario, the only way to have a discussion is to simulate one and claim what the other side is saying without actual voices from the other side saying a thing. That to me it's terribly disingenuous and more importantly, incredibly boring.

It happens a lot in the politics forum too. And I'm rarely in the same page as people like Nobody_Important Nobody_Important or SF Kosmo SF Kosmo , but I absolutely love that they are always there offering a different point of view to break the circle-jerking a little bit.

And I would say the same if it was the other way around, if it was the MS fanbase running the narrative with that much power. It's not even really about Sony or MS, it's just a situation that I don't like.

But again, I can't offer a solution, just giving my 2 cents. Maybe is true that when things start to go better for the XsX there would be a more balanced situation, I don't know. I hope so.

Well the positive thing about this site is that you can freely discuss Xbox related products and praise them without fear of getting banned. I honestly haven't seen anyone permabanned for saying that they like Xbox. The issue is if your able to tolerate the people that respond to you.

There really is no solution to this besides just banning the entirety of a fanbase and putting a strict control over who joins this place. But if the admins did that NeoGaf would just become another North Korea if you know what I mean.

All I can say is that it's up to Microsoft to do a lot better than before. If they manage to double their install base there would be more Xbox fans willing to join Gaf and participate in the discussions. The current situation of the market is usually reflected in the forums.

The final thing that I'll leave you with is if you really don't like Gaf maybe you should find another place to have discussions. It's not healthy for someone to participate in a site with people that they don't like. You really can't get rid of them if they don't break the rules do your next best option is to post somewhere else.

I'm not saying that you should go somewhere else it's just that Gaf might not be for you with the current situation.

I have a pretty high tolerance to others so I definitely won't leave gaf anytime soon.

Last edited:
All I have to do post a something about the TLOU2 and this place will go into chaos.

Realistically, I think you’ll essentially will get many more Sony supporters on practically any gaming forum worldwide because they have many more gamers and consoles out there. Microsoft despite their commendable efforts have made really bad mistakes last generation and even early into this one so far. They just have a lot more to prove than Sony and probably disappointed more gamers, so I think that’s where the majority of the hate comes from. Not making excuses for fanboys, but you know how immature, vindictive, evil and whiny the internet normally is.

Last edited:
Lol at folks giving an ounce of attention to Neu's victimhood cry. Just flash him a TLOU2 thread and watch him go to work. Trolls in this forum used to believe in things.... honor, respect! Now whatever doesn't get them banned simply makes them, stronger.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
This place it too focused on modern mainstream/AAA crap.....which doesn't really appeal to me.

That's why I don't come here that much and prefer reading through the RPG Codex instead.

Edgelord79

Gold Member

I agree with this. I've grown pretty cynical of many posters here because of the narrative certain people always take. It's really unhealthy to view a product as something to go to war over.

Fredrik

Maybe is true that when things start to go better for the XsX there would be a more balanced situation, I don't know. I hope so.
Yeah it’ll even out in the end. But what can we talk about today? That Game Pass is still awesome and Retroarch in retail mode on Xbox Series X is the best thing since yoga pants? Microsoft needs to release some awesome 1st party games to be worthy of some praise I think. Once the Bethesda/iD/Arkane etc aqcuisition is final and the next DOOM and Elder Scrolls becomes MS exclusives we’ll see lots of merry Xbox fans. But right now we’re looking at possibly the worst console launch ever from a software perspective.

Edokataki

Banned
Maybe it's because you want Gaf to be like this?

I mean if Xbox fans don't contribute here then the forum becomes one sided. It's up to them to balance things out by participating.

Hiding from the other forum members won't accomplish anything here. And you shouldn't be afraid of other members since it's up to the admins to decide how people are dealt with here.

Now if you just don't like people who have different preferences than you do then that's an issue that you have.
I like what you say but it can't work always, someone starts a Xbox thread to say X,Y is good so people can give their opinion on it, but instead they are bombarded with stupid arguments like SSD, no launch games or the famous or better infamous Craig without any form of constructive arguments. And the same happens with Sony thread with teraflops, ugly console etc. Sometimes people try to bait but there are threads that past the first page everything is derailed.

DESTROYA

Have you guys even checked out the RTX and Radeon GPU threads? Some of the fanboys are starting to become delusional🤦‍♂️

Coupled with more trashy threads like this, in really worried about the state of Neogaf right now.
You don’t have to be here if you don’t like it , a newbie like you shouldn’t be worried about GAF they are doing just fine.
There are cringy threads on every site if you don’t like it just ignore it, people getting mad over plastic boxes is retarded .
If you are so worried the direction GAF is headed then post good threads with good points that make sense and get your point across.
I have yet to see quality thread made by you, instead of bitching how bad GAF has gotten why not try to make it better?

Fuz

Banned
I mostly lurk on reddit. The place is not that good as having a different opinion ends up getting you downvoted to oblivion.
Reddit is crap. It does have some really nice functionalities and decebnt ease of use, but the voting system fucks everything up.

Jon Neu

Banned
Well the positive thing about this site is that you can freely discuss Xbox related products and praise them without fear of getting banned. I honestly haven't seen anyone permabanned for saying that they like Xbox. The issue is if your able to tolerate the people that respond to you.

Well, let's take imgur for example: being conservative and have right wing opinions isn't banned, but most conversatives have just reached a point in which they know it's just not worth the hassle of having to deal with the vast liberal mob.

When there's such a big unbalance between two sides, this things can easily happen.

The final thing that I'll leave you with is if you really don't like Gaf maybe you should find another place to have discussions.

I love GAF, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize some aspects of it.

It's not healthy for someone to participate in a site with people that they don't like.

I don't recall disliking anybody here. I can dislike and criticize certain behaviours or "actions" both in individuals, in groups or even in myself, but I don't hate anyone here at all. Quite the contrary, I have sympathy for a lot of people for a lot of different reasons.

But right now we’re looking at possibly the worst console launch ever from a software perspective.

I'm mostly just relieved that they didn't fuck it up again releasing another underpowered crappy console like the Xbox One. But yes, the launch lineup is embarrassing.

Still, Phil has done a lot of things that point in the right direction for the mid-long term, so I'm confident the console will ultimately deliver in the next years.

Believe.

Well, let's take imgur for example: being conservative and have right wing opinions isn't banned, but most conversatives have just reached a point in which they know it's just not worth the hassle of having to deal with the vast liberal mob.

When there's such a big unbalance between two sides, this things can easily happen.

I love GAF, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize some aspects of it.

I don't recall disliking anybody here. I can dislike and criticize certain behaviours or "actions" both in individuals, in groups or even in myself, but I don't hate anyone here at all. Quite the contrary, I have sympathy for a lot of people for a lot of different reasons.

I'm mostly just relieved that they didn't fuck it up again releasing another underpowered crappy console like the Xbox One. But yes, the launch lineup is embarrassing.

Still, Phil has done a lot of things that point in the right direction for the mid-long term, so I'm confident the console will ultimately deliver in the next years.

Believe.

I don't know what you want Gaf to do to fix itself. Sounds like your issues are more with the posters than the admins here. With that said just accept gaf for what it is and know that some issues just can't be fixed.

BTW gaf would still have these issues if the problem was the other way around. Instead of Xbox fans feeling uncomfortable here it will be PlayStation fans.

The dust has pretty much settled between PS5 and Series X so things are slowing down. Back 4 Blood is coming out next year so we should all look forward to that. We can have a big Gaf party.

I like what you say but it can't work always, someone starts a Xbox thread to say X,Y is good so people can give their opinion on it, but instead they are bombarded with stupid arguments like SSD, no launch games or the famous or better infamous Craig without any form of constructive arguments. And the same happens with Sony thread with teraflops, ugly console etc. Sometimes people try to bait but there are threads that past the first page everything is derailed.

There are ways to improve the situation but gaf will never be a utopia for anyone. Anyone who posts here has to deal with what other people say no matter what their preferences are. The best thing someone can do is to learn how to tolerate people and use tools that gaf gives them.

But even with all that some people just can't get used to the environment here. I believe it's unhealthy for them to remain here if they can't learn to deal with the issues that typical internet forum has. Just my opinion.

Jon Neu

Banned
Anyone who posts here has to deal with what other people say no matter what their preferences are. The best thing someone can do is to learn how to tolerate people and use tools that gaf gives them.

It's not about tolerating other people's preferences and opinions, what we are talking it's a different thing.

But I feel like I have already talked too much about this.

Top Bottom