• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Be grateful for GAF's gaming discussion because the amount of trash gaming communities in other sites like Reddit is appalling.

There are ways to improve the situation but gaf will never be a utopia for anyone. Anyone who posts here has to deal with what other people say no matter what their preferences are. The best thing someone can do is to learn how to tolerate people and use tools that gaf gives them.

But even with all that some people just can't get used to the environment here. I believe it's unhealthy for them to remain here if they can't learn to deal with the issues that typical internet forum has. Just my opinion.
I just avoid the threads. Console waring is stupid and I did that when I was 12. I guess that would be my advice to other Xbox fans. Just enjoy your console, or stick to the threads where Xbox fans try to hangout. My name is Halo is Dead for gods sake. MS def deserves some licks for their fumbles. At the end of the day, I will keep gaming and enjoying my time on Xbox or any other platform I feel is worth my money.

BTW you kept mentioning FUD or something. I had no idea what you were talking about lol

Last edited:
It's not about tolerating other people's preferences and opinions, what we are talking it's a different thing.

But I feel like I have already talked too much about this.

If you're talking about the typical console warring things that's not really tolerated here. I've seen many people from both sides get banned for that.

I just avoid the threads. Console waring is stupid and I did that when I was 12. I guess that would be my advice to other Xbox fans. Just enjoy your console, or stick to the threads where Xbox fans try to hangout. My name is Halo is Dead for gods sake. MS def deserves some licks for their fumbles. At the end of the day, I will keep gaming and enjoying my time on Xbox or any other platform I feel is worth my money.

BTW you kept mentioning FUD or something. I had no idea what you were talking about lol

Threads that I'm not interested in I usually just put on ignore. It's a pretty helpful feature and certainly makes it easier to seen the content that you want to participate in. I highly recommend this for everyone.

As for the FUD stuff I'm really trying to cut back on mentioning it. Ever since the GitHub leaks so much FUD was produced on the PS5. Ever since the console released it's been a time for revenge for many. I'm really trying my best to stop rubbing it in the faces of those that spread the FUD but I find it very difficult to stop doing that. I know that when I do that it can derail discussions or just provoke people. It's a flaw that I have and I'm trying my best to fix it.

Just look at this trash post on the r/PS5 subreddit and it's literally on the front page with "thread awards" given to it:

Be grateful we still have GAF as a forum instead of being forced to participate with these other trashbin communities out there on the internet.

We've got seven Cyberpunk 2077 threads on the first page. Now that's trash.

I think it's tolerated with nuance for context. Which is what I would hope for.

I'm not a moderator though so I "neu" nothing.

I think the admins here decide when it too much and take measures against it. A little bit of ribbing seems to be fine as well as crow eating. But there's a point where it just derails threads and ruins the discussion.

Jon Neu

Banned
We've got seven Cyberpunk 2077 threads on the first page. Now that's trash.

I much prefer having 7 threads in the first page than having just one thread and have it closed for the sake of boycotting the game and the company because that's your way of doing a gesture for poor trans people.

Now that's real trash.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
That and the undesired aspects that come when some tribe it's much greater in numbers and therefore in power than the other.

But is just the way it is.
Tribalism poses an interesting challenge over the internet. It's much harder to empathize with people and try to see things from their perspective when they are just an avatar. This is a core concept when battling tribalism face to face.

Instead what happens is people "activate" defensiveness very quickly. Which is something you don't want to do when negotiating with tribalism mentality in person. Things escalate rapidly from then on. It's more accentuated on PS5 threads because they have such a large market share. They tend to have a superiority/narcissistcic complex. The Xbox threads can sometimes have what is referred to as small man syndrome and the PC threads are pretty superior with attempts at high brow. Each tribe has a mentality.

Personally, I like to call it out if it's annoying me. I then knowingly don't read responses I know will get the laughing emoji or some sort of infantile response. If I say I'm done with a conversation, I mean it. I'm also guilty of saying things to provoke as I'm human and not infallible. It's also important to know what tribe you fall into. Everyone has a tribe. Recognizing it will help you walk away from situations.

Threads that I'm not interested in I usually just put on ignore. It's a pretty helpful feature and certainly makes it easier to seen the content that you want to participate in. I highly recommend this for everyone.

As for the FUD stuff I'm really trying to cut back on mentioning it. Ever since the GitHub leaks so much FUD was produced on the PS5. Ever since the console released it's been a time for revenge for many. I'm really trying my best to stop rubbing it in the faces of those that spread the FUD but I find it very difficult to stop doing that. I know that when I do that it can derail discussions or just provoke people. It's a flaw that I have and I'm trying my best to fix it.
The difference in performance seems marginal to me. A farcry form the Xbox one Vs. PS4 performance era. Whatever makes them feel better I suppose.

Bartski

Gold Member
And I'm rarely in the same page as people like @Nobody_Important or @SF Kosmo, but I absolutely love that they are always there offering a different point of view to break the circle-jerking a little bit.

yeah which is like the whole point imo making NeoGAf a really interesting place to hang out.

I see people posting absolutely INSANE takes here daily and that, in fact, really makes me appreciate their presence, not to name any names.

It just makes being here more fun to me and really broadens my perspective on the significance of personal taste, how much perception can differ etc. Some opinions may be more popular than others, so what? I'm a minority in many of my own and that's ok I still know I'm right :messenger_beaming:

Everyone is free to discuss their point of view and nobody is getting banned for having the "wrong" one as long as they don't do any damage with it.

Also, I never pay any attention to console warring posts or threads, it's just silly. I don't see how anyone would take it all so personally as if one really needs to pick a side here and argue for it.
I sometimes take jabs both at MS and Sony, depending on the occasion but that's just banter. And that's what it should be - rather than instant hostility and antagonizing ad hom filled meltdowns and it's up to the mods to keep it in check

reptilex

Banned
I actually laughed at the idea of the video, also you're wrong: NeoGaf has tons of shit threads that are of less and less value and as alienating and useless as reddit, like fucking polls, revisionist takes, irrelevant and badly constructed opinions etc...

Yesterday I found my self reading Polygon to actually get some video games news...FUCKING POLYGON. This is how bad the NeoGaf threads are, less and less actually substantial video game news and discussions, and more useless threads like yours.

Last edited:
The difference in performance seems marginal to me. A farcry form the Xbox one Vs. PS4 performance era. Whatever makes them feel better I suppose.

I honestly don't think it's anything to worry about. The two systems are powerful and both play games pretty well. Now if anyone had crazy expectations before the systems launched
then it's their fault for setting them so high. As for everyone else they shouldn't be disappointed in their systems.

Basically the way I see it.

Last edited:

Athreous

I'm glad that we have NeoGaf! At least here I can say my opinion without being threated or banned just for saying so... I respect every human that deserves respect, but in some sites coiugh resetera cough, there are a bunch of ppl ready to cancel yours posts and ban you for no reason.

Fredrik

I'm mostly just relieved that they didn't fuck it up again releasing another underpowered crappy console like the Xbox One. But yes, the launch lineup is embarrassing.

Still, Phil has done a lot of things that point in the right direction for the mid-long term, so I'm confident the console will ultimately deliver in the next years.

Believe.
Yeah I think it’ll deliver too, just not in the way I thought it would, seems like it’ll be about 1st party software. But the good thing is that the differences in multiplats will be smaller than expected and console warriors will look even more ridiculous than before, they’re already fighting over differences they can’t even see for themselves.

Fredrik

ROFL... good point!
- Don’t celebrate yet! Lets wait for another analysis!
It’s like hearing benchmarkers fight over 3DMarks scores
jeff goldblum chuckle GIF

Kuranghi

Hear! hear!

All I know is that my opinions are the correct ones and all my best boys/girls here are awesome and have equally fantastic opinions as mine.

Reddit is a cesspool of 90% trashbags, while GAF is a cesspool composed of only 25% sewerage so that makes us sparklingly clean boys by comparison.

Komatsu

90% of the console warring is waged by the usual suspects, a very narrow though noisy subset of the forum. And I do consider the Sony entourage worse than the Xbots by a significant amount but then again Sony has been riding high for a while.

GAF has the best gaming discourse on the internet - there are like some 200 posters here that always make the place worth checking out. Sure, the Politics subforum is choke-full of QAnon/right-wing inanity, but that's just the internet.

Where else can you check out news about the latest Saturn fan translations, dev interviews on the upcoming Kiseki game *AND* discuss Cyberpunk without the Reddit hatefest, all in one place?

Top Bottom