• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletoads Review Thread

Redefine07

Yep , the artwork / style looks like arse , are they retarded or whats going on .......gdamn it !!!! I have no hope for MS and them to ever reboot a series in good style ever again ! Just wait for Fable in 2025.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If you where I think you are, look on the top center of the screen where the white symbols are and then match up the symbols to the terminals on the bottom. The active symbols will light up on the top of the screen when you need to solve the puzzle in the terminal boxes. The symbols are also displayed next to the box in each mini-game. Hope that helps.

that does I knew I was missing something

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
just saying the ship dashboard game is confusing I never knew witch game was active before I started randomly hitting buttons. Was wondering if I missed a hint at knowing witch was active.

Looks like someone beat me but there is a clue.

RGB'D

How this thread was allowed to be hijacked is abhorrent. It’s funny, I wasn’t even going to try this game since I’ve been so busy with Control DLC/Flight Sim but I loaded it to see how bad it was because 11 pages on a 20$ game on Gaf told me this was a embarrassing piece of garbage.

Turns out I stayed up way too late because I freaking ended up loving thus game. I surprisingly really enjoy the art direction in action (I didn’t like it in the reveal trailer and was generally skeptical). I do think lack of online multiplayer sucks and that needs to be patched in, but the game is polished as heck, super fun, and brings back all my battletoads nostalgia from Gameboy (I wasn’t allowed to have a console growing up).

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Im in act 3 and Im not really liking it. The humor sucks (like most Rare games imo) but the minigames are the worst, gotdamn. The brawling is okay but all the other side shit not. Story is whatever, Its barely followable. All of a sudden your doing platform levels with a drugged out Pimple, wtf?!

This is definitely GP trash 6/10.

Last edited:

Serianox

Just finished it on the hardest difficulty with 9:30 hours(a good 1:30 of that was me being stuck in the biking and space minigame). I really like the visuals and it's really well animated both the cutscenes and the brawling parts. The fighitng was the best part as it was really fast with enough enemy variety to keep things fresh. Only problem is that there aren't enough levels focused on the brawling part. The minigames were very hit and miss and some of them looked like they would work better when in coop but alone could get a little frustrating. As rewarding it could get beating the biking and the space minigame fuck both of them. In all it's not a must play game but if you have some time to kill give it a try, specially if you have gamepass.

teezzy

Banned
Okay, this game rules as a co-op game.

My buddy and I had a fucking blast going through the bike levels today. Like they're just as frustrating as they were in the old games - but like, just fair enough for you to keep going and not chuck your gamepad at the wall.

I'm so glad they didn't put that shit on easy mode, because they so easily could have watered this down. It's very much a genuine Battletoads experience, for better or worse. I can't stand the story segments in between though. They're supposed to be funny?

Not like Battletoads had much personality otherwise. Ultimately, this is a very solid product. Shame most won't give it a fair shake. I definitely recommend playing this with a friend if you have one.

noise36

Played it a bit on normal with my 5 and half year old and it was much to difficult. We turned it down to easy and he has been loving it, keeps asking to play and has been playing co-op with his friends.

This is why gamepass is so good, you end up playing games you wouldn't normally buy.

Last edited:

Bridges

Just finished it and was really surprised by how much fun it was.

Some of the levels that change gameplay genre get bullshit hard, but it's totally doable. I was expecting a dumpster fire of a game and what I got was a pretty solid genre-blending beat em up with cranked up difficulty and a few awful levels designed by sadists.

I'd say if you're curious and have Gamepass there's no reason not to give it a shot. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm having fun with it on Toad difficulty although those Space mini-games has me wanting to throw my controller thru a wall.

The targeting with the tongue to eat the flies is kind of glitchy and I find that jumping while trying to eat them seems to work better.

Humor is pretty good for a single playthrough. Art style is terrible, but I guess fits the humor. I'll probably uninstall when I finish it unless there is a compelling reason to playthru again.

Edit: F that panel mini-game....Grrrr

Last edited:

Goalus

Last time I checked FS was PC only, no Xbox. Oh, Xbox fans must think PC = Xbox...
If you think otherwise, you are out of touch with reality. Boomer mentality is common in the Playstation camp though, so it's not surprising that concepts like a service seem alien to you.

IGN are so ridiculously pro bias these days.... 'oh a working game on Xbox..... 8/10'

Literally no credibility... how many times will they mention Game Pass on Beyond! this week?
Cry moar.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Im in act 3 and Im not really liking it. The humor sucks (like most Rare games imo) but the minigames are the worst, gotdamn. The brawling is okay but all the other side shit not. Story is whatever, Its barely followable. All of a sudden your doing platform levels with a drugged out Pimple, wtf?!

This is definitely GP trash 6/10.

PinkBabyishFox-size_restricted.gif

Finished it on Toad difficulty. Took 6.5 hours.

Fun while it lasted, but some of the stuff was really hard for the "medium" difficulty.

I'd give it a high 6 or low 7 overall.

Last edited:

Calverz

Pretty sure Battletoads will be game of the year. Hard choice now between battletoads, flight simulator, minecraft dungeons and doom eternal for GOTY.

Drewpee

Banned
I have been very pleasantly surprised by this game. I was not a fan of the trailer they released a year or so ago but the game actually looks great and the combat is deceptively deep.

It is simple on the surface but the first time I launched an enemy in the air for a 10 hit combo, pulled another enemy up to me to continue the combo and then pulled myself toward an enemy on the ground, I realized it is a little deeper than I expected.

The characters are hilarious and the game has my type of random humor. A couple of the videos had me in tears it was so funny.

I would have enjoyed online but have been playing it with my daughters and have had an amazing time so far. One of the best experiences I have had gaming this year.

Coney

Yup, quite a fun game actually. I was one to judge it before trying it, but when I did, I was pleasantly surprised. Don't be so quick to judge the game. Those 5/10 reviews are utter nonsense.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Pretty sure Battletoads will be game of the year. Hard choice now between battletoads, flight simulator, minecraft dungeons and doom eternal for GOTY.

Is this some sort of meta commentary on the state of Xbox gaming?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yup, quite a fun game actually. I was one to judge it before trying it, but when I did, I was pleasantly surprised. Don't be so quick to judge the game. Those 5/10 reviews are utter nonsense.
Well to be fair, artsyle are very important in 2D games and it very subjective, if someone doesn’t like artstyle of this game it’s gonna be hard for them enjoying the game.

Cuphead has great gameplay but number one reason people drawn to the game in first place was great artstyle and animation.

Coney

Well to be fair, artsyle are very important in 2D games and it very subjective, if someone doesn’t like artstyle of this game it’s gonna be hard for them enjoying the game.

Cuphead has great gameplay but number one reason people drawn to the game in first place was great artstyle and animation.

Even with those factors, it deserves better than 5/10. I personally didn't care for the art style at first, but it grew on me. But I agree, it is subjective, but the game does have other redeeming qualities.

Dural

Played the first few levels last night, really enjoying it. The beat em up mechanics are great and the game is rather nice looking. The voice acting for most of the characters isn’t the greatest, but that doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the game.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I beat the game and personally loved some of the animation, and some of the humor landed.

I think a few of the non-fighting sections could be really great with a few minor tweaks (such as that sometimes incredibly frustrating Spaceship/systems crashing part).

I ended up enjoying the game overall, and think it would have been a blast playing with friends. The fighting parts were by far the best areas, and there were some nice mechanics in there with keeping combos going.

Again, with a little tweaking, it could be a fantastic game and my personal favorite of the franchise. I would definitely like a sequel. :)

Last edited:

Airola

It does on the normal mode but on the hardest mode it does not.

IMO Battletoads was unfair in many sections. This game is not unfair.

Sense of (beatable) unfairness is what gave the original games their reputation though.

That's deactivated by default. But if less skilled players have an option to get through the game as well, I think this is fine. It's basically a cheat that is not well-hidden.

Yes, it allows you to activate it, like I said.
That's no Battletoads. That's a game that will never gain a reputation and status the original games did. Not that it necessarily has to but I would've loved to see a new Battletoads game that is as unforgiving as the earlier games were.

Oh well, I guess that's the way it is because of the focus on a story and they probably thought everyone should be able to see the story to the end.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Sense of (beatable) unfairness is what gave the original games their reputation though.

That's no Battletoads. That's a game that will never gain a reputation and status the original games did. Not that it necessarily has to but I would've loved to see a new Battletoads game that is as unforgiving as the earlier games were.

Oh well, I guess that's the way it is because of the focus on a story and they probably thought everyone should be able to see the story to the end.

Not everything has to be exactly like the original to be good.

If you want it to be brutally hard that's here.

VAL0R

Banned
The game is maybe a 7-ish for me. It was OK.

Some spoilers below, if you care. The story isn't worth your concern though, so whatever.

The story was moronic.
The Battletoads are portrayed as a group of braindead sociopaths who murder on a whim. They aren't heroes. They are vile idiots. Rash walks around with a diaper bulging full of excrement at one point. Why is this funny? "LOL, his adult diaper is full of feces!" Really? I am very confident that I could write a better story. I literally believe that and I'm not a writer. The story was just trash. And almost all of the villains encountered along the way are bizarre weaklings. The enemies are not worthy of the power of the toads. What is the fun in beating down mentally retarded circus midgets and anthropomorphic popcorn machines dressed in pastel colors? Why am I killing imbecile aliens who throw ice cream and not, say, fierce alien gangsters with laser rifles? The dark queen kills Jeffrey because he questions her outfit. He showed disapproval about what a woman was wearing, so the woke writers thought he was worthy of death. The Toads witness this and have literally no problem with it. Why go on? What a joke. An unfunny joke.

Airola

Not everything has to be exactly like the original to be good.

If you want it to be brutally hard that's here.

"Not that it necessarily has to" - that's what I already said.

I'm not talking about a game just being brutally hard. I'm talking about a game being unforgiving. It's one thing to put a hard mode that's unforgiving but it's a completely other thing to have the whole game be unforgiving. It's not an unforgiving game if there is a deliberately made mode that allows the player to get through the levels with no effort.

And again, not that is necessarily has to be like that, but I personally just think it's a shame that the Battletoads brand changed that approach to gameplay with this game. Part of the charm and the infamy of the original games was based on the fact that for many, if not all people it felt impossible to ever see many of the levels in the game. The NES Battletoads had the warps though, but even them required the player to 1) know about them and 2) be very quick, observant and skillful to reach them. And even with the warps a bunch of the levels in the end had to be cleared in a legit manner. There was no other way around it.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
"Not that it necessarily has to" - that's what I already said.

I'm not talking about a game just being brutally hard. I'm talking about a game being unforgiving. It's one thing to put a hard mode that's unforgiving but it's a completely other thing to have the whole game be unforgiving. It's not an unforgiving game if there is a deliberately made mode that allows the player to get through the levels with no effort.

And again, not that is necessarily has to be like that, but I personally just think it's a shame that the Battletoads brand changed that approach to gameplay with this game. Part of the charm and the infamy of the original games was based on the fact that for many, if not all people it felt impossible to ever see many of the levels in the game. The NES Battletoads had the warps though, but even them required the player to 1) know about them and 2) be very quick, observant and skillful to reach them. And even with the warps a bunch of the levels in the end had to be cleared in a legit manner. There was no other way around it.

If you are basing it off of just the original BT then sure but Rare made other Battletoads games and they were not nearly as punishing and unfair and played more like what a "beat em up" should to many fans of the genre. I get where you are coming from but this doesn't feel like an instance where the game was one style and then totally flipped on its head, like Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. The original DNA is here through and through.

Airola

If you are basing it off of just the original BT then sure but Rare made other Battletoads games and they were not nearly as punishing and unfair and played more like what a "beat em up" should to many fans of the genre. I get where you are coming from but this doesn't feel like an instance where the game was one style and then totally flipped on its head, like Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. The original DNA is here through and through.

I am deliberately not saying this is just about the original game because I have played most of them, and they all are really punishing and unforgiving games. I've been able to beat the NES Battletoads and the SNES Battletoads, but I couldn't beat the GB Battletoads and I couldn't beat the Battletoads / Double Dragon crossover either. Both the NES and the SNES games took a lot of time to finally beat them. The SNES game was easier and I think that was because it had only six levels if I remember it correctly. It still took maybe a month, or at least several weeks, of intense and daily playing. The NES one we played daily with a friend for about four months until we beat it. Unforgiving toughness was certainly part of all of them. Some of course are tougher than others but none of them had a deliberately added possibility for everyone to beat them. They all were unforgiving to some extent and none of them allowed a person to see all the levels by having an option for it.

I like that it has different styles of gameplay though. Glad that it at least has that going for it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I am deliberately not saying this is just about the original game because I have played most of them, and they all are really punishing and unforgiving games. I've been able to beat the NES Battletoads and the SNES Battletoads, but I couldn't beat the GB Battletoads and I couldn't beat the Battletoads / Double Dragon crossover either. Both the NES and the SNES games took a lot of time to finally beat them. The SNES game was easier and I think that was because it had only six levels if I remember it correctly. It still took maybe a month, or at least several weeks, of intense and daily playing. The NES one we played daily with a friend for about four months until we beat it. Unforgiving toughness was certainly part of all of them. Some of course are tougher than others but none of them had a deliberately added possibility for everyone to beat them. They all were unforgiving to some extent and none of them allowed a person to see all the levels by having an option for it.

I like that it has different styles of gameplay though. Glad that it at least has that going for it.

Maybe I am simply remembering them wrong then because I really only remember the OG being ridiculously hard. The only one I havent played is the GB so I can't comment on that one. I have finsihed them all and the first one was the only one I remember being controller breaking difficult.

LarknThe4th

I think this whole revival was handled badly, wouldn't expect them to get another swing at it now

And that's sad because a lot of folks where waiting a LONG! time for this series to come back

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Well, the standard is to play it without invincibility. That's like complaining about Celeste's assist mode.

Airola

Well, the standard is to play it without invincibility. That's like complaining about Celeste's assist mode.

Lol, I already have major trouble in trying to become interested in Celeste as my more or less irrational major dislike of the dash mechanics in 2D games has removed my interest towards it completely. Looks like there's now another reason for me to stay disinterested :D
Hell, I love the Disney NES games and would love to play those games on the Disney Afternoon Collection but the ability to rewind time in those versions severely hurts my enjoyment of them. I know it's an optional thing and I know I'm crazy but it is what it is. Even though I don't even use that ability, knowing its existence sort of ruins the experience.

iconmaster

Banned
This thread has me feeling like I’m being astroturfed.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game and think that all major gameplay styles (brawler, platformer, autorunner, twin stick shooter) are very well done and their respective levels well designed. The humour is completely unfun, but as always, all that counts is gameplay.

That seems like a reasonable take. Glad it’s not a toadal disaster.

Compared to Streets of rage 4 it has a little more depth for the combat.

I’ve played a lot of SoR4 and this seems pretty unlikely, but maybe Js562 Js562 just didn't spend much time with SoR…

Pretty sure Battletoads will be game of the year.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom