• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletoads Review Thread

lock2k

Banned
I'm not a huge fan of the game so far, but I concur.

Every game doesn't need to be a massive focus tested game. It's an open market and the fact we can get games from every avenue is something I appreciate as a gamer.

Clearly a lot more people are more into the dick measuring AAA libraries vs enjoying games.

But I digress.
One thing I'm digging lately is the fact that the market seems to be embracing AA games again and not just triple A. A good chunk of my fave games throughout history are quirky and not so polished games (sometimes even janky).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One thing I'm digging lately is the fact that the market seems to be embracing AA games again and not just triple A. A good chunk of my fave games throughout history are quirky and not so polished games (sometimes even janky).
How I wish that was the case, then I see game like Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Dragon Quest XI that are much more loved sell worse than incomplete games like Anthem and Fallout 76.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I don't need every game to be 40 hours long. I sometimes want something shorter and easier to just experience vs having to sink multiple weeks in something.

CitizenX

Banned

Its been that way for close to 5 years now. Its not even close where the most innovative, best and most importantly fun games fall.

So I can't get the game to recognize my controller on PC. the Master Chief collection recognizes my controller and I also tested Carrion and that recognized it as well. Anyone else having this issue? To be clear my controller is wireless via Bluetooth.

manfestival

So I can't get the game to recognize my controller on PC. the Master Chief collection recognizes my controller and I also tested Carrion and that recognized it as well. Anyone else having this issue? To be clear my controller is wireless via Bluetooth.
I can say that I tried the game last night with my PS controller and xbox 360(wired) controller and both were recognized. Which controller are you using?

Yesterday I said this was a 6/10 game. Now that it's done I think it's a 4/10.

The more I play this game the more I dislike it. I'll never like the artistic choices, I think it looks terrible. I also think the humor in the game tries way too hard and falls flat. I was hoping the gameplay would pick up more after beating the early stages and I'd see more variety like in the original Battletoads. That didn't happen though. The special stages were boring, and the mini games were tedious, only serving to slow the gameplay and keep me from playing the actual game. There are just too many really poor design choices in the game that hurt gameplay.

Last edited:
I can say that I tried the game last night with my PS controller and xbox 360(wired) controller and both were recognized. Which controller are you using?
I'm using a dualshock 4 I tried it once just letting the game pass app recognize a controller and it didn't work. I then tried it using ds4windows that also didn't work. If I can't get the controller to work I'm not going to play it and the thing is I really don't understand the issue because other game pass games aren't having the same issue. But I'm definitely not going to try and play the game with mouse and keyboard controls.

Portugeezer

That's a shame, have some nostalgia for the franchise.

Luckily it's yet more gamepass filler, might as well play this disappointment.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Finished this up.

I liked it more by the end. It really requires some discipline to get S on everything on the later levels. Which is very battletoads.

The writing is very hit and miss. It's definitely designed for the cartoon network crowd which has always been a love it or hate it style.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I wrote a review for the game, but it's in German, so not relevant to this thread. I must say though I thoroughly enjoyed the game and think that all major gameplay styles (brawler, platformer, autorunner, twin stick shooter) are very well done and their respective levels well designed. The humour is completely unfun, but as always, all that counts is gameplay. My favourite Rare game since 2008.

VN1X

Banned
I wrote a review for the game, but it's in German, so not relevant to this thread. I must say though I thoroughly enjoyed the game and think that all major gameplay styles (brawler, platformer, autorunner, twin stick shooter) are very well done and their respective levels well designed. The humour is completely unfun, but as always, all that counts is gameplay. My favourite Rare game since 2008.
Not actually made by Rare though? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Airola

I liked it more by the end. It really requires some discipline to get S on everything on the later levels. Which is very battletoads.

Nah, it's not Battletoads if beating a level isn't already like you getting an S rank.

I heard on a review that it even allows you put on some invincibility mode to get you through some tricky sections. If the game gives you deliberately made options to cheese through the levels with no effort, then it's not very battletoads. Sure the NES Battletoads had warps here and there but getting to each of them required good reactions and skills from the player.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Nah, it's not Battletoads if beating a level isn't already like you getting an S rank.

I heard on a review that it even allows you put on some invincibility mode to get you through some tricky sections. If the game gives you deliberately made options to cheese through the levels with no effort, then it's not very battletoads. Sure the NES Battletoads had warps here and there but getting to each of them required good reactions and skills from the player.

It does on the normal mode but on the hardest mode it does not.

IMO Battletoads was unfair in many sections. This game is not unfair.

Batiman

Banned
How does it stack up against Streets of Rage 4?
I’m not done it yet but I can’t see anyone who loves SOR4 not like this at all. I loved SOR4 but felt they could’ve added something into the game to mix it up a bit. This game might not feel as great as SOR4 but I like that there’s more ways to switch up the combat. I also like the little mini games so far which takes a break form it’s regular formula. I love when games do these kind of things and wish more would.

They are similar yet very different. I think Battletoads is a good game so far, plays well and is a lot of fun. Honestly they only thing they really have in common is the brawler levels, catchy music and hand drawn graphics. The fighting in Battletoads so far can seemingly hold it’s own against SOR4, but SOR4 seems to have more depth and structure.

One of the big differences is Battletoads vs SOR4 is the Battletoads mini-games to break up the brawler action, but Battletoads does have a plethora of mini-games. Majority of them are fun and executed quite well I feel, but they might not be for everyone who just wants a traditional beat-em-up with consecutive breaking levels. Each game has different things to offer.

Last edited:
I wonder how many people here aren't old enough to remember playing battletoads on NES and not being able to pass the stupid hoverbike level and as a result not getting to see the entire rest of the game. and I mean old enough that when you first play that you couldn't go on something like YouTube and just watch what the rest of the game looks like so you can see the cool level designs and stuff. I was a grown man by the time I saw what the rest of the game looked like and by then it was blinding!

Zoro7

Banned
I think it looks decent but the lack of online coop is criminal. It’s the only thing putting me off.

JTCx

Not as good. Combat mechanics in SoR4 is more robust, not much going on in battletoads other than tag mechanic and evade pretty straightforward. Bosses arent good. The game is inconsistent, terrible mini games break up the pacing theres no shortage of them either. Not a very good beat em up if you looking for something pure. Theres a reason SoR4 is held in high regard especially for fighting game players.

It wouldnt hurt to try though if you got gamepass. Wouldnt pay money for this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll download it one of these days and plow through it. Someone said it's a short game. Looks like a quick afternoon thrill and achievement points.

BT is a perfect game for GP. Dabble with it or even beat it. But no way I'd pay even $5 for it.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I dont understand the rock paper scissors one at all. I think its just a cut scene and the outcome will always be the same?

I like the security terminals one tho.

the ship dash board got me in the 3rd act, how do you know what game was active before you start pressing buttons.

DjMystix

What stick is that?

One of the best Arcade sticks out there and I'm not sure if there is anything else with 4 player controls available out there. You can pair two XArcades if you want to. But I absolutely love the build quality and ease of use. This is my third cabinet, and I've tried lesser quality control boards before :)

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking?

just saying the ship dashboard game is confusing I never knew witch game was active before I started randomly hitting buttons. Was wondering if I missed a hint at knowing witch was active.

C'mon. 90's Dark Queen is cringe worthy. I loves some hot female characters, but that is over the top. I love the art style and feel comfortable playing it with my 10 year old.

Are you blind??? Get your eyes checked, not even glasses can save you. THIS IS THE VERY DEFINITION OF CRINGE AND YOU KNOW IT! Don't even try to deny it, unless you want to make a further ass of yourself.

MQPL6V1_d.webp

Js562

Gameplay is fun with a good amount of moves. Compared to Streets of rage 4 it has a little more depth for the combat. Dash plus more moves and so on. I already beat Streets of rage and this will be next. So far it's pretty fun. Graphics don't matter for me as long as it plays well

Js562

Gameplay it's pretty good for me compared to Streets of Rage. It has more options available for me to pull more combos. It's just the graphics and humor. That all depends on you and also it's only three players when Sor4 is 4. Played both from gamepass on my X1

ManaByte

I'm using a dualshock 4 I tried it once just letting the game pass app recognize a controller and it didn't work. I then tried it using ds4windows that also didn't work. If I can't get the controller to work I'm not going to play it and the thing is I really don't understand the issue because other game pass games aren't having the same issue. But I'm definitely not going to try and play the game with mouse and keyboard controls.

Maybe it's the game's way of telling you to use a Xbox controller with the PC.

Battletoads is hilarious so far. It’s got some weird difficultly spikes but it has its charm.

teezzy

Banned
Played some couch co-op with a buddy of mine today

Solid stuff all around, better than I was expecting honestly

All the narrative bits fell super fucking flat though, is this supposed to be funny for kids or something?

the ship dash board got me in the 3rd act, how do you know what game was active before you start pressing buttons.

If you where I think you are, look on the top center of the screen where the white symbols are and then match up the symbols to the terminals on the bottom. The active symbols will light up on the top of the screen when you need to solve the puzzle in the terminal boxes. The symbols are also displayed next to the box in each mini-game. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This might be my personal taste but same way Cuphead went with old school Disney cartoon aesthetics, it wouldn't have been such a bad idea Battletoads would do Tom & Jarry or loony Tunes aesthetics.

d80e7bb259b1a13.gif

d4cbcbc241d393e35ed7077deb75e45b.gif

SLNSH6D.gif

tumblr_mxw0cjT5EZ1qzandxo1_400.gifv

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I heard on a review that it even allows you put on some invincibility mode to get you through some tricky sections.
That's deactivated by default. But if less skilled players have an option to get through the game as well, I think this is fine. It's basically a cheat that is not well-hidden.

Top Bottom