• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DennisK4 said:
Hey guys, I got a 2 x GTX580 3GB setup, do you my rig can handle this game?

thnx
If it were me, I'd take out one of those GTX580s as it destroys visual fluidity of just about everything. SLI is a joke.

If you only care about benchmark numbers and taking screenshots, though, SLI might be worth your money. ;)

ACE 1991

ACE 1991 said:
Really hoping retail improves performance when scoping. Playing as a sniper absolutely murdered framerate on caspian border with my 1gb 6950/i5 2500k with 8gb of ram.

Bumping just to ask if anyone is running a similar setup, and if they wouldn't mind sharing their performance results thus far.

J-Rzez said:
Go go go on the 560ti's. Report how it runs for you!

First level I'd say I averaged 48-50 FPS with absolutely everything maxed. Probably not the best place to gauge though.

2500k @ 4.2 and 8gig ram FIY.

This origin browser sucks.

EDIT: And now in the first real open section I'm rocking a solid 12FPS suddenly. Awesome.

dark10x said:
If it were me, I'd take out one of those GTX580s as it destroys visual fluidity of just about everything. SLI is a joke.

If you only care about benchmark numbers and taking screenshots, though, SLI might be worth your money. ;)

Really? I struggle to notice microstutter, even when I'm specifically looking for it (this on Crossfired 6850s).

J-Rzez

Hero_of_the_Day said:
First level I'd say I averaged 48-50 FPS with absolutely everything maxed. Probably not the best place to gauge though.

2500k @ 4.2 and 8gig ram FIY.

This origin browser sucks.

EDIT: And now in the first real open section I'm rocking a solid 12FPS suddenly. Awesome.

Damnit that it dropped off for you. I'm looking to possibly run 560ti 2gb in SLI with an 2600k and 8gb ram. Hopefully it's just a driver issue.

Danne-Danger said:
I'm surprised it did so well, it's not much better than my 275... and that's max detail! I never play max detail even if I can!

Lookin' good.
My display only goes to 1680 x 1050 anyway so I can run it just fine.

J-Rzez said:
Damnit that it dropped off for you. I'm looking to possibly run 560ti 2gb in SLI with an 2600k and 8gb ram. Hopefully it's just a driver issue.
Yeah, obviously something funky going on there. Post back after I do some messing around.

EDIT: Also, the load times are fuck awful for me. And unskippable logos piss me off.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
IcyBlueStrawberry said:
I'm getting a lot of stuttering with my 5870s and I can't get CF to work regardless of what I do. It seemed like CF was working when I first started the game, but then my FPS halved for no reason when I changed a control setting and it won't work again.

I've tried both the 11.10 P3 with CAP 3 and 11.9 drivers.

Same here, amazing how AMD can't seem to get a working driver out in time for some of the biggest pc releases in years. Rage, Deus EX and BF3 have all been a pain in my ass.

Alright. Sli 560ti are running like dick with Sli enabled. Frame rate goes all over the place from 20FPS to 80FPS, I mean constantly. Disable sli and was rocking a very solid 35ish FPS with everything still maxed. So something is fucked with my sli drivers for this game. Going to uninstall and try out the beta drivers and see how that goes.

EDIT: should add that the multiplayer beta was playing much more solid for me then this single player is. A lot of variables in there, I know. Someone else needs to jump in here with 560ti's so I know if it's something fucked with my computer or nvidias drivers.

fanboi

Banned
I have the same problem as in beta...

When I play it runs smoothly without any hickups.

But time to time, which gets worse after awhile, the game freezes for a few seconds... anoying as hell.

Anyone else had this?

I'm getting +60 fps on my Crossfire setup. But I'm really fucking tired of dealing with ATI. Nvidia all the way next upgrade. Microstutter is still there.

unpurposed said:
I'm getting +60 fps on my Crossfire setup. But I'm really fucking tired of dealing with ATI. Nvidia all the way next upgrade. Microstutter is still there.
How did you get CF to work?

I'll take 60 FPS with stutter over 30-40 with stutter.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
unpurposed said:
You have to use vsync or you will get the stutter. And that's a known multi GPU issue that affects SLI setups as well.

SapientWolf said:
You have to use vsync or you will get the stutter. And that's a known multi GPU issue that affects SLI setups as well.

Yeah, I did that and it fixed it. But it reduces mouse sensitivity, you know what I mean? Like it glides a little. Is there a way to fix that?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
unpurposed said:
Yeah, I did that and it fixed it. But it reduces mouse sensitivity, you know what I mean? Like it glides a little. Is there a way to fix that?
You can try to find a program that caps your FPS instead. Or we can hope that DICE will add a console command to accomplish that.

SapientWolf said:
For some reason enabling vsync got crossfire to work for me, but now it stutters more than ever lol.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
RibbedHero said:
Really? I struggle to notice microstutter, even when I'm specifically looking for it (this on Crossfired 6850s).
Drives me absolutely crazy. 60 fps doesn't LOOK like 60 fps when using SLI or Crossfire.

TheExodu5

Banned
I have yet to try retail, but there was surprisingly no microstutter on 2x GTX 570 in the beta, even with vsync off. Aside from the flickering (which I hope is fixed by now), SLI worked pretty nicely in the beta.

dark10x said:
Drives me absolutely crazy. 60 fps doesn't LOOK like 60 fps when using SLI or Crossfire.

If you're vsynced at a locked 60fps, there won't be any microstutter. If one GPU fails to produce a frame in time, then your framerate would drop below 60fps.

Of course, if you can't maintain 60fps, then the microstutter can come back.

Really, microstutter depends a lot on the game. Crysis was unplayable without vsync. Battlefield 3, on the other hand, is very smooth with SLI.

edit: actually, as I recall, the issue with Crysis wasn't microstutter. Both GPUs render a different part of the frame in that game, which resulted in 2 or 3 tear lines.

DennisK4 said:

thnx

Fine, as long as you have 8GB RAM or less.

The Stealth Fox

DennisK4 said:

thnx

No, the only game it could handle is Mass Effect 1 (especially with colorful Feros). But that's all you need, right?

Sli 560ti's. Beta drivers work wayyyy better then new ones. Still having issues though. I'll pretty well stay at 55ish FPS, but it'll jump down to 30FPS also at weird times. Blew up the building with the rocket launcher, big explosion, smoke whatnot and it stayed solid. Then guys start talking and shit jumps down to 30 for a couple seconds. Weird.

Think I'm just going to enjoy some multiplayer (which I haven't touched yet) and check out the single player when they have some shit ironed out.

Edit: multiplayer is way more solid. Ultra is a constant 60FPS with HBAO off. With it on, it'll jump down to 30 like if I'm outside in the rain or something.

goodfella

TheExodu5 said:
I have yet to try retail, but there was surprisingly no microstutter on 2x GTX 570 in the beta, even with vsync off. Aside from the flickering (which I hope is fixed by now), SLI worked pretty nicely in the beta.

If you're vsynced at a locked 60fps, there won't be any microstutter. If one GPU fails to produce a frame in time, then your framerate would drop below 60fps.

Of course, if you can't maintain 60fps, then the microstutter can come back.

Really, microstutter depends a lot on the game. Crysis was unplayable without vsync. Battlefield 3, on the other hand, is very smooth with SLI.

edit: actually, as I recall, the issue with Crysis wasn't microstutter. Both GPUs render a different part of the frame in that game, which resulted in 2 or 3 tear lines.

Fine, as long as you have 8GB RAM or less.

Doesn't microstutter occur when you have a locked 60?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Phenom II 955
560Ti
8GB
All stock speed

Running in 1920 x 1080 everything on High with the new drivers

High 62 fps, Low 22 fps, Avg 46. Feels nice and smooth for the most part so far

TheExodu5

Banned
goodfella said:
Doesn't microstutter occur when you have a locked 60?

No. It's when your framerate varies a lot from frame to frame. This happens because one card might produce a frame very quickly, and the next one more slowly (for some reason that escapes me). Instead of the framerate being relatively smooth, it has a lot of highs and lows, which creates microstutter. If you cap it, and your framerate is vsynced and constant, then there's no variance in the framerate, and therefore no microstutter.

BoobPhysics101 said:
No. It's when your frames drop or aren't at 60+ that microstutter is apparent.

Even with a framerate above 60fps, if you're not vsynced, you might experience microstutter. Depends entirely on how well SLI behaves with the game. Many games have framerate caps (regardless of vsync) that will alleviate this as well.

I couldn't feel microstutter at all in the BF3 beta with vsync off, though I was generally getting 60-90fps.

goodfella

Oh.

So what is the name for when you have a locked frame rate and the game is jerky?Happened to me in Fallout NV and when I tried using a frame rate limiter to limit TW2 to 30fps.

Edit: I'm a Member finally!

teepo

i'm getting some terrible stuttering as well as a list of graphical glitches.

on a gtx460 using the latest nvidia drivers

Top Bottom