• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | Review Thread

What scores do you think Baldur's Gate 3 will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 65-70%

• 70-75%

• 75-80%

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 21 5.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 82 21.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 194 50.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 73 19.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why is BG3 not #1 all time PC game on MC?

It has 97 with 20 reviews and user score of 9.0 with 4551 reviews but it's behind Disco Elysium at 97 with only 11 reviews and 8.3 user score with 914 reviews.

Does Metacritic factor in how old a game is or how long it it stays at a certain score?

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
What's Todd thinking right now?
sweating key and peele GIF

Guilty_AI

Why is BG3 not #1 all time PC game on MC?

It has 97 with 20 reviews and user score of 9.0 with 4551 reviews but it's behind Disco Elysium at 97 with only 11 reviews and 8.3 user score with 914 reviews.

Does Metacritic factor in how old a game is or how long it it stays at a certain score?
who cares, if its giving them visibility thats good enough

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Is interesting that with each review the acore goes up. Usually it will go down.
I'm thinking the reviews coming out more recently have been watching the reaction the game's been getting online, and they might feel compelled to give it a perfect score to ride the Zeitgeist. People wouldn't want to be the one to go against such public support.

Edit: before I get dogpiled: I love BG3. It's all I've been doing in my gaming free-time the past week.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Fuck yeah I was right!

2nd highest rated game of all time on PC!

it deserves #1. How the fuck is Disco Elysium the best game lmao.

What do you mean? the older Divinity games or Original Sin games? Because they got a lot of love…

Those games being so good is probably the reason Larian landed Baldurs Gate.
Someone else said Disco Elysium has like 11 reviews on Metacritic (edit: lol that was you who said that. I'm just waking up haha). I think there should be "reviews-needed-by-year-of-release" increase to make the all-time list, or an "All-Time (asterisk)" list for games not as widely covered.

Having said that, have you played Disco Elysium? I was skeptical until playing through it last month. It's great--not my cup-of-tea, politically, and not my favorite game of all time, but I can see why it has such high review scores. The sheer amount and quality of writing is S-Tier.

Last edited:
Fuck yeah, #1 PC of all time and at #10 games of all time on MC.

Someone else said Disco Elysium has like 11 reviews on Metacritic (edit: lol that was you who said that. I'm just waking up haha). I think there should be "reviews-needed-by-year-of-release" increase to make the all-time list, or an "All-Time (asterisk)" list for games not as widely covered.

Having said that, have you played Disco Elysium? I was skeptical until playing through it last month. It's great--not my cup-of-tea, politically, and not my favorite game of all time, but I can see why it has such high review scores. The sheer amount and quality of writing is S-Tier.
I did buy Disco but it didn't click with me. I can't remember everything but one of the things I didn't like was the amount of writing. I mean that's not bad but I had no clue what the fuck was going on at times. I might be willing to give it another shot at some point.

geary

I did buy Disco but it didn't click with me. I can't remember everything but one of the things I didn't like was the amount of writing. I mean that's not bad but I had no clue what the fuck was going on at times. I might be willing to give it another shot at some point.
Should try it again...The extended edition has the dialogue voiced acted.

Should try it again...The extended edition has the dialogue voiced acted.
i only played the original version but i seen that there is a "final cut". i don't know if i need to buy it again or if it was added free. i'll probably think about giving it a shot whenever i finish BG3 lol.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

Oh, yeah. It suffers from Proper Noun Overload in the beginning, especially if you have the "Encyclopedia" character trait. My eyes just glaze over stuff like:

"Revachol was home to The Great Reconnaissance which beget Justine d'Matriarch's Wompty Doo-Doo Trial on the Third Day of Bakersville's Final Supper of Feasts."

FireFly

The actual plot of the game is pretty straightforward. It's made to seem confusing by all of the "skills" inside your head that talk to you and often contradict each other. That's also why there is a lot to read.

But once you get past that, it's quite an enjoyable detective story that has some nice twists and generally isn't too "weird". There is no in-game combat though, so that might be a turn off.

Caio

OMG, Today : 95% from Game Informer, 97% from GameSpace, 98% from Vandal, and 100% from PC Games and Power Unlimited.

41 Total Reviews, still at 97 on Meta.

lol at the woke Eurogamer busy deleting any critical comments of their predictable 4/5 review. They've started deleting entire accounts now so it looks like the user has removed the post rather than them. their few supporters are getting a right kicking too. :messenger_grinning:

H9p1c4c.jpg

Last edited:

Portugeezer

lol at the woke Eurogamer busy deleting any critical comments of their predictable 4/5 review. They've started deleting entire accounts now so it looks like the user has removed the post rather than them. their few supporters are getting a right kicking too. :messenger_grinning:

H9p1c4c.jpg
Eurogamer 4/5 will continue to be a thing for many games big releases.

What was their main caveat? (don't feel like giving them a click).

IGN's review is up. It's a 10 out of 10.

image.png
Good to see. Their review in progress had some people worried.

Last edited:

Pakoe

IGN's review is up. It's a 10 out of 10.

image.png
You know that shits good when even IGN can't post some dumb ass review about it.
This is a certified classic. We're gonna talk about this in years.

Topher

Gold Member

H9p1c4c.jpg

Folks are overreacting badly to an 8. That's still a great score.

Guilty_AI

Bugs/performance and apparently they didn't like the direction act 2 took, though the reviewer herself admits she rushed act 1 and has no clue if that negatively affected later events.

The impression i got from her review is that she played a bunch of early access and rushed through the final game.

Last edited:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Good to see. Their review in progress had some people worried.
I'm surprised IGN's came out as a 10/10, the preview was sounding far more worried - must of really got won over in those Act 2 and Act 3 awesome thangs.

Corian33

I’m only ten hours but BG3 has ruined other games for me for the moment. It’s just so dense with fun quests and encounters. Add in the freedom of Larian’s systems and you just have so many options of what to do at any given moment.

Like with D:OS, the game basically WANTS you to find cheesy and unorthodox ways to do things. Which is totally in the spirit of DnD and will blow your mind if you are used to standard linear games without this kind of freedom.

For example, in most games something like a potion/spell of feather fall would be almost pointless. In BG3 I found a spot where it allows you to jump right off a cliff and sneak past a few dozen guards.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I think that is the issue with both looking at scores based on the education scoring system and having a scale from 1-5. Anything not perfect would be an 80% or below. There isn't a lot of variances. It is like if you don't think the game is perfect, you are baiting for clicks which feels like a kneejerk reaction.

Thabass

Didn't one of the acts (Act 3) have some technical issues? I can see that being a reason to drop the score. People need to get over their favorite games not being to everyone's standard.

Topher

Gold Member
Didn't one of the acts (Act 3) have some technical issues? I can see that being a reason to drop the score. People need to get over their favorite games not being to everyone's standard.

Act 3 has some performance issues, I believe. The main gripe of the reviewer is the bugs. But again, 8 is a great score. Personally, I don't think there is anything to gripe about getting an 8 or higher. I've played several hours without encountering any bugs and it is a solid 10 to me. But if I encountered bugs like the reviewer did then I'd probably not rate it as highly either. Still a great game and this single review doesn't disagree with that.

I think that is the issue with both looking at scores based on the education scoring system and having a scale from 1-5. Anything not perfect would be an 80% or below. There isn't a lot of variances. It is like if you don't think the game is perfect, you are baiting for clicks which feels like a kneejerk reaction.
Yeah, it makes awkward comparisons with other games inevitable. For example, Diablo 4 got the same score, Remnant 2 got a 4/5 also. So they're 'as good' as this?!

Fucking 'Dave the Diver' got a 5/5, as do other random indie games where one of their staff knows the devs in some way or other.

For a site that's as preachy as they are about what they see as right and wrong, they're the most morally bankrupt of the lot. You can't even comment unless you agree with their worldview on whatever the topic of the day may be.

Hypocrites like them are the worst and I fucking despise them.

I swear if Starfield gets 100s everywhere, they'll whine and give it a 3/5 or 4/5. If it turns out bad, they'll give it top marks. They're like the teenager who thinks it's cool to be different for the sake of being different.

FeralEcho

Come on,Its fucking EDGE,Imagine stanning for fucking EDGE of all things in 2023...The white knights of media who refuse to this day to review Hogwarts Legacy,a bunch of sensitive losers.Fuck them.A bunch of grumpy assholes who give the most assbackwards reviews in the industry.A game got 10's from every other site EDGE gives it a 5-6. A game gets mediocre reviews everywhere EDGE gives it a 9 or 10. Fuck these losers and their shit magazine.They can go extinct for all i care and nothing will be missed.It will go out like a fart in the wind and no sane person will miss them.

All I think about when i see an EDGE review.
7sV1Qfg.png

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Anyone completed the game yet? Seeing so many complaints around act 3 online and the game taking a nose dive, in act 3.

Looks like it needs bug patches and content patches. What's people's thoughts?

Anyone completed the game yet? Seeing so many complaints around act 3 online and the game taking a nose dive, in act 3.

Looks like it needs bug patches and content patches. What's people's thoughts?
Act 3 is fine. Lots and lots of content, just as big as the other two. Are there more bugs? Yes. There is also a rather annoying house/quest that makes a lot of people lose their minds, and I suspect Larian will patch that place soon enough. Bugs that started in Act 2 like jumping, bumping your head on the ceiling and stopping still exist here. I also had some fights happening by aggroing someone on the other side of a wall. Nothing is game breaking, but the bugs can be very annoying, yes. Now, is it a bad act? Not at all. Way, way, way better than the last acts from Divinity I and II. And, as I said, Baldur's Gate is huge, one of the biggest cities in any RPG.

Thabass

Come on,Its fucking EDGE,Imagine stanning for fucking EDGE of all things in 2023...The white knights of media who refuse to this day to review Hogwarts Legacy,a bunch of sensitive losers.Fuck them.A bunch of grumpy assholes who give the most assbackwards reviews in the industry.A game got 10's from every other site EDGE gives it a 5-6. A game gets mediocre reviews everywhere EDGE gives it a 9 or 10. Fuck these losers and their shit magazine.They can go extinct for all i care and nothing will be missed.It will go out like a fart in the wind and no sane person will miss them.

7sV1Qfg.png
Not once did I mention Edge. I have heard the Act 3 issues from multiple sources including friends who have played the game. Given this day and age of games, it's not completely out of the realm that a game, and stick with me here, it may shock you I know, MAY ACTUALLY HAVE PEFORMANCES ISSUES AND/OR BUGS .

Go be a fucking cry baby fanboy somewhere else.

Act 3 has some performance issues, I believe. The main gripe of the reviewer is the bugs. But again, 8 is a great score. Personally, I don't think there is anything to gripe about getting an 8 or higher. I've played several hours without encountering any bugs and it is a solid 10 to me. But if I encountered bugs like the reviewer did then I'd probably not rate it as highly either. Still a great game and this single review doesn't disagree with that.
Yeah, I don't think it's a big deal honestly. From what I've played of the game (and it's not much as I haven't had the time), it seems like top-quality right off the bat. Will be interesting when I get to Act 3 myself.

Last edited:

7sV1Qfg.png
A terrible magazine that has always been staffed by pompous and preachy hacks.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
this guy is like someone time capsuled a 16 year old from the 2000's gamerbro era cliche, lol. Even has the hair and leather jacket from that time as well.
I find their insights always pretty great - sure he's hyper, but his name is Angry Joe, that's his thing.

I don't find him 'gamerbro' though, what does that really mean in context with someone today? Like, acting 'manly'/making crude comments on occasion? I find these guys pretty normal vibing - more than I can say vs a lot of the curren reviewer crop who focus too much on politics and representation from the get-go, and put out a faux intellectual mimic trap and roll a hard 1 on sense of humor.

Last edited:

mxbison

The writing in Disco is the best I’ve ever read in a video game. It’s decent novel-tier.

It's way above "decent novel-tier".

People need to stop acting like the thousands of new books coming out each week all have excellent writing. Most of it is mediocre stuff that is forgotten the next day. People always talking like every book is a masterpiece probably don't read much.

Last edited:
It's way above "decent novel-tier".

People need to stop acting like the thousands of new books coming out each week all have excellent writing. Most of it is mediocre stuff that is forgotten the next day. People always talking like every book is a masterpiece probably don't read much.
By decent I mean a book that will stand the test of time.

Top Bottom