• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | Review Thread

What scores do you think Baldur's Gate 3 will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 65-70%

• 70-75%

• 75-80%

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 21 5.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 82 21.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 194 50.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 73 19.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Draugoth

Gold Member

h1htlle.jpg

Baldurs-Gate-3-1.jpg

Q: When does Baldur's Gate III Reviews Drop?
A:
Baldur's Gate III Reviews Drop alongside the game's release​

Game Information:​

Game Title: Baldur's Gate 3
Platforms:
  • PC (Aug 3, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Sep 6, 2023)
Trailers:
Developer: Larian Studios

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 94 average - 100% recommended

iz1mW5b.png

MetaCritic PC - 97/100 - Must Play

hNrQeVH.png

MetaCritic PS5 - 97/100 - 9 Reviews

wjbJkCF.png

Critic Reviews:​

Critic Reviews​

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Unscored
Video Review - Quote not available
Attack of the Fanboy - Noah Nelson - Unscored
Baldur's Gate 3 shocks me with it's high level of player freedom found in customization, decisions, and consequences, and the compelling stories, both micro and macro, mixed with the expansive gameplay possibilities.
Checkpoint Gaming - Edie W-K - Unscored
Although my time with the game hasn’t been enough to yet form a full critique, I can already tell that Baldur’s Gate 3 is a very impressive feather in Larian Studio’s cap.
Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 5 / 5
Baldur’s Gate 3 isn’t just a return; it’s a renaissance of the RPG genre. Through intricate design, storytelling par excellence, and honoring the legacy of D&D, the game establishes itself as a titan in the gaming arena.
GGRecon - Ava Thompson-Powell - Unscored
Larian Studios is on a heck of a hot streak, and Baldur’s Gate 3’s early signs suggest it could be the studio’s biggest success to date. With rich lore and ample customisation for how you approach the world alongside gorgeous visuals, it’s shaping up to be a title that I’ll remember for a long time - and I’m only in Act 1.
Game Rant - Shane Robert Moyer - 4.5 / 5
Baldur’s Gate 3 is something special, though. Its complexity is intimidating, but sticking with it and learning has such a high reward threshold that it's hard to not recommend the sequel to even the most casual gamers out there. It has heart, it has style, and it has the multi-year effort of a studio that obviously loves its source material. The mind-blowing size of the game itself and everything contained within is a testament to Larian Studios' dedication to its craft and commitment to bringing something incredible to the gaming public. The blend of the various Dungeon & Dragons systems into the game is almost flawless in its execution, and the math and storytelling combo does a one-two punch on almost every other RPG game out there. High quality and astoundingly fun, Baldur’s Gate 3 may just become the kind of game that old and new fans can agree is something extraordinary.
Gamers Heroes - Blaine Smith - 100 / 100
Baldur’s Gate 3 is nothing short of a masterpiece. The story is incredible, the world gorgeous and immersive, voice-over and writing of the highest quality, an amazing soundtrack, everything comes together in near perfect harmony. It’s not only the best RPG of the year, it’s the RPG of a generation.
GamesRadar+ - Ali Jones - Unscored
For now, suffice to say that Baldur's Gate 3 feels a little bit like Larian has accomplished the impossible. This is an entire, years-long pen-and-paper roleplaying campaign realized in beautiful fidelity, in a way that brings every tiny detail of your mind's eye to life.
GamingBolt - Ravi Sinha - 10 / 10
Like Divinity: Original Sin 2, Baldur's Gate 3 redefines what a role-playing game can offer in character-building, combat, story-telling and choice. It's a compelling experience that simply shouldn't be missed.
GamingTrend - David Flynn, Ron Burke - Unscored
They simply don’t make ‘em like this, and I can’t wait to experience all this game has to offer.
God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - Unscored
And yet what I’ve played so far has me utterly enraptured. Now I’ve spent time learning to fight by the game’s rules, learning that if I want to succeed I have to read everything, study every spell, understand the intricacies of the dice rolls both shown and hidden, I am beginning to understand what the game wants from me. It’s gargantuan, intricate, complex and utterly unwilling to treat anyone softly and Larian don’t seem overly worried that this may put people off. Time will tell if it does, but for now I’m both stunned and awed by the potential here, and I’m happy to be intimidated by the adventure that lies before me.
Hobby Consolas - Alberto Lloret - Spanish - 96 / 100
Baldur's Gate 3 is an outstanding role-playing game, both playable and technical (still with areas to be polished via patch), one that, in addition, is called to become one of the references of the genre by taking some ideas, such as the election system and its reactive world, to a level that others do not even dream of.
IGN - Leana Hafer - Unscored
On the whole, I really am loving Baldur's Gate 3 so far.
IGN Spain - Guillermo Proupín - Spanish - 10 / 10
With Baldur's Gate III Larian Studios redefines the meaning of open world and creates a masterpiece that elevates the classic RPG to a new level that will take years to surpass.
Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - Unscored
It’ll be a close run thing, and we also haven’t decided whether Badlur’s Gate is deserving of a 10/10 score, but the fact that it’s even a question should give you an indication of just how good this game is.
Niche Gamer - Brandon Lyttle - 9 / 10
Ultimately, Baldur’s Gate 3 is virtually everything I’d want out of a tactical RPG. Like the Divinity series it ditched the live-combat in favor of more interactive tactical combat, it remains rooted firmly in the lore of Forgotten Realms, and it’s not afraid to be gritty with its depictions of violence, dark magic, and the brutality of life in the near lawless life of a fantasy adventurer.
NoobFeed - Jay Claassen - 95 / 100
Baldur’s Gate 3 is the long-awaited masterpiece we all need. It might not have all the mechanics from Dungeons & Dragons, but it does have enough for even a newcomer to start getting into it while getting an intensely rich story to experience as well. With its epic character customization, dialogues, and vast world, this is definitely the type of game you’d get lost in for hours on end. Aside from the unfortunate downside to going multiplayer, this game is still best experienced with friends, provided you get along well enough. Or not, the chaos is still great.
PCGamesN - Paul Kelly - Unscored
Baldur’s Gate 3’s world is beautiful, layered and complex, and challenges you to attack it how you want. And though this is what makes it a little daunting, it’s also what makes me eager to dive back in and see where the adventure is going.
Screen Rant - Cody Gravelle - Unscored
Baldur's Gate 3 is imposing in stature and its best moments are truly memorable, but some early issues with scale suggest an uneven experience.
Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 10 / 10
Baldur’s Gate 3 easily cements itself as a titan of the roleplaying genre. With incredibly faithful recreations of D&D’s game system and lore, BG3 easily serves as a substitute to Dungeons & Dragons than can be played alone or with friends. If you’ve never played D&D, you’re in for a surprise as you learn just how much freedom and player expression is built into Baldur’s Gate 3’s truly unique experience.
Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - Unscored
As of now, however, I feel Larian Studios has done a tremendous job, creating one, if not the most engaging cRPG in a very long time.
We Got This Covered - Ash Martinez - 4.5 / 5
An excellent follow-up to its decades-old predecessor, 'Baldur's Gate III' sets a new gold standard for RPGs in the modern age. Though it has its fair share of buggy problems, the vibrant world, intriguing storytelling, and captivating gameplay more than make up for its shortcomings.
Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 9 / 10
Baldur's Gate III is everything an RPG adventure should be. It's appropriately epic while also spending time with the small moments. It allows you to feel powerful while also rewarding you for being clever and avoiding trouble. It offers the class fantasy of everything from a stalwart paladin to a hellish abomination, from fast-talking trickster to rage-filled barbarian. It has its quirks and flaws, but they usually add welcome texture to the game. Perhaps most importantly of all, it captures the feeling of sitting down and playing through a D&D adventure with some friends.
ZTGD - Terrence Johnson - 9.5 / 10
The team at Larian Studios are to be commended, Baldur’s Gate 3 is nothing short of a masterpiece when it comes to RPG’s.
eXputer - Huzaifah Durrani - 5 / 5
Baldur's Gate 3 is one of the greatest RPGs of all time, and a testament to the talent of developer Larian Studios.

Last edited:

Markio128

I have a good feeling about this one, so opted for 90-95. I reckon it could be a while before we get the bulk of media reviews though. In the meantime, I’ll look forward to some early impressions from then PC peeps.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Voted 85-90. Looks absolutely amazing but I'm keeping hype levels in check, and hoping playing with a controller isn't a janky mess when it eventually hits consoles.

Last edited:

simpatico

Probably gonna keep this one in the oven until winter when I have more time. Hoping it scores as well as it looks.

Reactions: Isa

Skifi28

Around 90 I imagine. Could be more, but I expect several bugs from a game of this scale that will detract from the score. Launching a month earlier probably hasn't helped.

Last edited:
Chose 90-95. It has a lot of hype and momentum as of the last month or so. I don't have plans to buy it right now as I'm knee deep into Pillars of Eternity, but it is on my radar. If it had a physical PC release I might have Day 1.

dEvAnGeL

Not a big fan of turn based combat. I think the last game i played with that type of combat was FF7. Haven’t really tried anything else since. For some reason the hype around this game has got me interested. How welcoming is it for someone who prefers real time combat?

Neilg

. How welcoming is it for someone who prefers real time combat?

Not at all, it's fully turn based. Slow paced strategy and dice rolls.
It might be the best that it gets, but it's still turn based. If you don't plan ahead and strategize, using all the time and planning that the turns provide, you will get pasted. Every combat encounter should be approached like a puzzle.

StereoVsn

I think either high 80s or low 90s is a likely result. Game is going to be good, but it's an isometric turned based CRPG so I am not certain enough reviewers will give it the score it deserves.

Also, I suspect there will be bugs considering most of this giant game only has been internally play tested and Larian moved PC release up by a few weeks.

Raven117

Not enough time to play this while finishing up FFXVI and Zelda before Starfield and AC, but this is very much in the queue.

Reactions: Isa
I think we’ll see a few spicy takes. D:OS 2 is one of my favourite games, possibly my absolute favourite, but it was relatively niche and reviewed by people that enjoy turn based RPGs so it got a 93% Metacritic.

I think a lot of people will not be expecting the kind of gameplay BG3 brings and I think more average Joe type reviewers will review this game and struggle with it but we’ll see.

Personally I’ve been playing since early access came out and unless the later chapters are absolute shit this is already a 95%+ game for me.

Buggy Loop

Deserves better score than TOTK most likely, but will be dunked to 90 or so because… tURnED BaSED

Probably with a sprinkle of complaints that it doesn’t look as good as Horizon forbidden west. Starting with PC reviews first might help, that platform knows what’s up with cRPGs for decades.

BlackTron

There's a part of me that wonders about the scores, and an even bigger part that wonders how good the game is

Krathoon

I played early access and I struggled to navigate the game engine. Hopefully, they smoothed that out.

The game runs great on a 1080GTX. So, the engine is well optimized.

Wooxsvan

never played one of these. i hate any strategy or turn based combat. is there action combat only options in this game?

nvm. did some quick research this combat looks horrendous. have fun if you enjoy that sort of thing of course

Last edited:

Krathoon

The game is streamlined where the turn based combat is actually fun.

Less clunky compared to Fallout. You are not confined to a grid.

To be clear, there shouldn’t be any day one or even day two review scores. That would indicate a very incomplete playthrough of the game and a rushed review to hit an arbitrary deadline.

Expecting between 85 and 95 for most reviews. Sites scoring games from 1 to 10 might spring for a 10.

From what I've read the keys went out just a few days ago, so I'm not trusting anyone who has a score ready by tomorrow, or even the weekend. Not for a game like this.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Ngl this is probably a very unpopular opinion but I worry a little that the game will be too long.
That they went overboard with '' omg game has to be BIG ''.
Not saying it's going to be bad I have high hopes for it, it has just been a big selling point they've push how big the game is.
Even an amazing game can still overstay its welcome.

phant0m

87. Will get dragged down by the inevitable 6/10 from an outlet that was not happy with how they handled a gender or sexuality “issue”

Mozzarella

I'm predicting 90-95
I'm hoping for 95+

Optimistic me: 97
Neutral: 93
Pessimistic: 90

I dont think this game will get avg score below 90, as to why its because Divinity OS2 got 90+ score without the hype and the scope and scale and the legacy IP of this game, so all things considered and knowing metacritic score history, this should be a guaranteed 90+ title, unless something really bad happened.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Hard to say, DOS2 was 94 and i think this one would be higher, but there are more eyes on the game now. Reviews will take a while too.

M.W.

Probably get reviews in a few weeks? Reviewers got their codes this Sunday I think? I wouldn't expect anything for awhile.

With that said, 80-84

Last edited:
Top Bottom