• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 for the Xbox isnt ruled out

Three

yet the splitscreen in Halo works very well, so well in fact that John from Digital Foundry played through the game with his son that way to test it.
it even ran reasonably well on rhe fucking One S.

343 is a horseshit developer and they canceled splitscreen because they can't sell it as a microtransaction.

the hardware can't be an issue when way worse PC hardware can run the game just fine
Wasn't there graphical glitches, clipping issues falling through maps, triangles for enemies and shadow issues everywhere especially on the lower hardware? It runs isn't really ready as a product when you have those technical issues.

I guess we would need the devs to clarify what the technical issue is in this case but if Halo split screen was actually ready for release it would have just released for the positive buzz alone.

demigod

Calling Larian talentless devs, dissing BG3 as a simple game, accusing Sony of buying exclusivity even though the game launches on PC and Now, all the while ignoring what devs have been saying since day one

SERIES S WILL HOLD BACK XBOX.

Now the chickens have come home to roost.
Folks who had a brain said this from day 1. We laughed at series s touting 1440p. It barely does 1080p most of the time. You still have armchair devs going against the grain. So much for “flipping a switch” to downscale resolution and keeping textures/RT the same.

Time to face reality for some of y’all.

Targeting a 1080p output doesn't mean textures will be 1080p. They're completely independent.

That’s not what I suggested. You are being obtuse. You know that the lack of ‘clarity’ at lower output resolutions results in less of a benefit from higher resolution textures. It isn’t that there is no benefit but that the trade off isn’t necessarily worth the expense when targeting such a ’soft’ image.

Soltype

What does this even mean?
PC version has been in EA for a good while, they announced a PC release date which also happens to be the PS5 release date.Either they held the release of the PC version back or they diverted resources to have a PS5 version launch same day.They should have concentrated on getting the PC version out first then ported to consoles.

That’s not what I suggested. You are being obtuse. You know that the lack of ‘clarity’ at lower output resolutions results in less of a benefit from higher resolution textures. It isn’t that there is no benefit but that the trade off isn’t necessarily worth the expense when targeting such a ’soft’ image.

That's what you just said. It's irrelevant anyway. The reason they've stated is the discrepancy between the S and X which is preventing certification. The only reason that discrepancy exists are the hardware differences. Put 1 and 1 together

Last edited:

SomeGit

That's what you just said. It's irrelevant anyway. The reason they've stated is the discrepancy between the S and X which is preventing certification. The only reason that discrepancy exists are the hardware differences. Put 1 and 1 together

They never said any of that.

Cool. If it really is a technical issue and they can overcome it in time, won't be surprised if the Xbox releases day and date with as well.

edit: fucking hell, people in his replies calling him an xbot. He's the director of publishing at Larian :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The narrative is too strong.

Last edited:

SomeGit

Point it out then
OIP.wNh3dYGZJmcb5N1Nt5UCbAHaHa

SomeGit

Since you're really struggling, here's his follow up tweet. He's refuting the claim that it's not coming to Xbox and nothing about the technical issues.

Do you still want to play stupid?

yIqIzLR.png
It also still doesn't say anything about hardware issues, but hey I guess he probably meant that as well, right?

Last edited:

Three

I'm not in the development team, maybe there is some software difference between the X and S versions. Who knows, but apperently someone from the developer saying "it's not that" isn't enough for you.
"Reason why it's not releasing on Xbox is DUE TO TECHNICAL ISSUES GETTING THE GAME TO RUN"

This is what they said they haven't said. They never said the game doesn't run and they've never said it's not releasing.

They have very clearly said

"we’ve been unable to get splitscreen co-op to work to the same standard on both Xbox Series X and S, which is a requirement for us to ship."

And instead of going with the logical difference between the X and S (hardware specs) you're suggesting there is some software (OS or API?) difference between the two which is an issue with splitscreen Co-op? I highly doubt that.

Last edited:

SomeGit

And instead of going with the logical difference between the X and S (hardware specs) you're suggesting there is some software (OS or API?) difference between the two which is an issue with splitscreen Co-op? I highly doubt that.
It doesn't have to be OS or API related, application level issues happen all the time in software development, it's doesn't always have to be "hardware not powerful enough", even when the SDK/OS is the same. You are free to doubt it, but w/o working there or a confirmation from the developers themselfes saying it's hardware differences is just baseless speculation.

Last edited:

Three

It doesn't have to be OS or API related, application level issues happen all the time in software development, it's doesn't always have to be "hardware not powerful enough", even when the SDK/OS is the same. You are free to doubt it, but working there or a confirmation from the developers themselfes saying it's hardware differences is just baseless speculation.

It's frankly absurd to suggest that hardware is ultimately not the reason for the difference but believe what you want. Doesn't necessarily have to mean "not powerful enough" in the end but can you tell me what would cause the "application level issue" between the X and S if it's not hardware related? Why would the application run into issues that differ between the two? Just one example would be great.

SomeGit

It's frankly absurd to suggest that hardware is ultimately not the reason for the difference but believe what you want. Doesn't necessarily have to mean "not powerful enough" in the end but can you tell me what would cause the "application level issue" between the X and S if it's not hardware related? Why would the application run into issues that differ between the two? Just one example would be great.
Concurrency issues is an easy one, issues with memory mapping not necessarily related to lack of space (happens a lot in embeddeded systems), etc.

Last edited:

SomeGit

What concurrency issues exactly? Why would they not face concurrency issues with the countless CPUs/configurations they support on windows?
How am I supposed to know? I don't know their codebase.
No, if the codebase isn't the same.

Last edited:
Top Bottom