• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 for the Xbox isnt ruled out

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Yes they do but I was correcting you on what you said. It isn't bullcrap that software sales are lower on xbox compared to what they used to be. That's all.
?? You aren't correcting anyone as you didn't say "software sales are lower on Xbox compared to what they used to be". You stated, "Game sales on Xbox are extremely low".

Anyone can clearly see your original statement. Now if you misspoke, you can absolutely correct yourself, but don't gaslight someone and act like they didn't read what they read.

?? You aren't correcting anyone as you didn't say "software sales are lower on Xbox compared to what they used to be". You stated, "Game sales on Xbox are extremely low".

Anyone can clearly see your original statement. Now if you misspoke, you can absolutely correct yourself, but don't gaslight someone and act like they didn't read what they read.

Thats exactly what I said though? The fuck you talking about? Read properly next time before making accusations. It was someone else who said that. Not me. Anyone can clearly see my original statement. Now that you misspoke, you can correct yourself!

It's not bullcrap. Look at the splits for recent games. Hogwarts legacy is the latest example. It actually is a fact that software sales on xbox are lower than they used to be. It doesn't help that they've sold half the consoles sony have, so the install base just isn't there.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Thats exactly what I said though? The fuck you talking about? Read properly next time before making accusations. It was someone else who said that. Not me. Anyone can clearly see my original statement. Now that you misspoke, you can correct yourself!
You're right. I wasn't expecting someone to jump in and defend such statements. I thought you surely must have been the original author of them and that's why you were defending them. Regardless, I should have been more observant.

I will still disagree on the point that the original comments, previously mentioned, are not bullcrap.

Last edited:
You're right. I wasn't expecting someone to jump in and defend such statements. I thought you surely must have been the original author of them and that's why you were defending them. Regardless, I should have been more observant.

I will still disagree on the point that the original comments, previously mentioned, are not bullcrap.

We dont actually much data to go on but Microsoft themselves have said gamepass has reduced software sales and we also know about yoy declines. To me this was always expected though with Microsofts push for gamepass. Everybody kinda already knew this.

DaGwaphics

I'm calling for them to remove it only from whatever version you are getting.

What's even more ridiculous is the broad assumption that the XSS has anything to do with the problem at all, LOL. It could just as easily be an issue with the XSX and this developers DX port. They never even state that it is a performance related issue, could be something more technical than that.

The minimum specs for the PC game is quite low tbh:

1. Processor: Intel Core i5-4690 / AMD FX-8350
  2. Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4 GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4 GB.
  3. DirectX version: 11
  4. RAM: 8 GB
  5. Disk space: 150 GB
  6. Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Given the above, if they are having issues with series version it must be more an issue of their port itself rather than the raw hardware. It could literally be anything.

Last edited:

Three

What's even more ridiculous is the broad assumption that the XSS has anything to do with the problem at all, LOL. It could just as easily be an issue with the XSX and this developers DX port. The higher resolutions and settings required there could also be creating a problem for this particular team, we have no idea from the information provided.
Because it's the logical conclusion when you look at what's presented. What DX issue that affects the XSX only would be present in split screen? Increased RAM requirement is a key issue when doing split screen.

DaGwaphics

Because it's the logical conclusion when you look at what's presented. What DX issue that affects the XSX only would be present in split screen? Increased RAM requirement is a key issue when doing split screen.

Like I said, the PC minimum requirements are beneath the series specs, only requiring 4GB GPUs. For all we know the higher clocks on the PS5 are helping it to run the dual viewports on this one and they aren't getting the resolution/settings they want on an XSX port. Could it be the XSS, maybe. Could it be the XSX, maybe. LOL

Last edited:

Three

Like I said, the PC minimum requirements are beneath the series specs.
The RAM requirement even on minimum spec, not recommended, is not lower than a XSS.
For all we know the higher clocks on the PS5 are helping it to run the dual viewports on this one and they aren't getting the resolution/settings they want on an XSX port. Could it be the XSS, maybe. Could it be the XSX, maybe. LOL
This wouldn't make sense since, going back to PC, lower clocks that match XSX are supported. Slightly faster vs wider is never a better thing for splitscreen support anyway. Besides, the issue is that XSX and XSS are not running to the same standard, not to other platforms.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The RAM requirement even on minimum spec, not recommended, is not lower than a XSS.

Luckily we all know that the PC ports are going to have more RAM in total listed between the base RAM and GPU Video Memory than the consoles shared memory pool, as every PC port of a console game always has.

Here are the Resident Evil 8 System Requirements (Minimum)​

• CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 or AMD Ryzen 3 1200
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti or AMD Radeon RX 560
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 4096 MB
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.1
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.1
Look at that, a 4GB video RAM requirement and an 8GB system RAM requirement, keep in mind this ran on X1/PS4 on a 5GB unified memory pool.

Last edited:

Three

Luckily we all know that the PC ports are going to have more RAM in total listed between the base RAM and GPU Video Memory than the consoles shared memory pool, as every PC port of a console game always has.
That's true but it would depend on what they are doing with min spec in their game. The reason you see things like that is because sometimes both the CPU and GPU need data for say animations, object transforms, mesh data for collision detection so you need to duplicate some data between the two. That's the only reason why some games require RAM + VRAM much greater than a consoles shared pool. Then you have direct storage too which gets rid of this. This doesn't mean 10GB is equivalent to 12GB in every game though. Again this is for minimum spec anyway where it could look worse than a PS2 game but still run, not an "acceptable standard across X and S".

Last edited:

Metnut

Microsoft has put pressure on third party developers in a number of ways.

As many posters here who own Xboxes have themselves said, Microsoft has conditioned many of its console owners not to buy any games and just to subscribe to Gamepass. When you port a game to XBox, you have to take into account that a substantial amount of the user base won’t even consider buying your game.

Additionally, you have to spend time getting the game to run on Series S. We’ve seen verified interviews with developers talking about what a huge pain in the ass this can be to do.

I think BD3 will come to XBox, but Microsoft really isn’t making it easy on these developers.

cireza

Banned
As many posters here who own Xboxes have themselves said, Microsoft has conditioned many of its console owners not to buy any games and just to subscribe to Gamepass. When you port a game to XBox, you have to take into account that a substantial amount of the user base won’t even consider buying your game.
This contradicts the share that GamePass represents in Xbox revenue, which if I remember correctly is less than 15%.

So obviously, Xbox players are buying games. Let's stop pretending the contrary. I have GamePass and I buy a lot of games, by the way.

Last edited:

EN250

If split-screen coop is an issue, just drop it. Ain't nobody that interested in that in 2023! Good lord, you'd have to actually know people. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

If the work is already done to implement it on PS5-PC, would be a total waste of development time + money

If they release the X version without that, the fanbase will annoy the crap outta the devs for being "biased" or something worse, I mean, some "journalist" from a Xbox/Windows site was harrasing the devs because they're not releasing the game on Xbox at the same time, devs explain why, dude keeps bitching at them and so on, can't imagine how dense twittard warriors would be if the game comes out withot the same content on all versions

This contradicts the share that GamePass represents in Xbox revenue, which if I remember correctly is less than 15%.

[/URL]

So obviously, Xbox players are buying games. Let's stop pretending the contrary. I have GamePass and I buy a lot of games, by the way.
Microsoft gave legal documents to regulators saying Gamepass causes a reduction in sales.

Either Microsoft are lying in legal documents and committing fraud. Or, they are sending out positive, but factually incorrect messages, to the gaming public and market.

StereoVsn

I was about to buy this on Steam but it's only got Act 1 and your save is wiped every patch? Fuck that lol. I'll wait until release. I need a good RPG to get into once I finish Hogwarts. I've never played a Baldur's Gate game before. Well that's not true....I did buy the first one on iPad lol but I never played more than 10 minutes. Apparently it has a lot of lovecraftian inspiration?? I saw BG3 has a mind flayer dude and seems like there is a lot of cosmic horror shit going on.
Try Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous. It's simply an excellent CRPG. Might be a bit confusing with all the options to start, but you can easily look up on YouTube/faq sites.

I'd say close enough though. 8+4 vs 10. A Win PC uses maybe 4GB or something after boot. I think even more if you have more RAM in your PC. Less if you have just 4GB. Meanwhile just 2GB are reserved for OS stuff on Series S.
It's anyway just a rough ballpark comparison, even if the Xbox is probably closer to an Win OS than whatever the Sony thing is. The coded to the metal thing should still mean something even if consoles got sort of modded PC parts.

The studio probably wants GP money or actual Sony exclusivity, would appreciate an incentive either way, and or it just got naturally low priority because the market share makes it a less important port destination.

Sony should probably get those guys behind that game. MS already bought Bethesda, Inxile and Obsidian (and eventually the WoW & Diablo guys), so quite many of the most noteworthy rpg studios, while CD Projekt probably wants to stay their own thing and the FF deal is certainly something (also a different subgenre), but Sony should also have their own RPG studio. Maybe work something out with sharing the Decima Engine with them for the future, if the proximity of Belgium and Netherlands is a factor at all.

It does not need to be more than 50% or any specific number to condition people in a certain way! We are not yet in an all digital future, but MS bets on GP and obviously advertises that bet this gen, wants people to join that, at least the seed has been placed. Don't most people even if they are buyers of full price games have that thought in their minds that GP exists? So some or many will sooner or later abandon the traditional way, which is possibly what MS intends.
In an alternate universe the 15% would not exist (and GWG with formerly more decent games and former Plus with former 2+2+2 games would not either) and possibly the overall revenue would be higher without that part in their pie. Plus was introduced and improved to fight MS since Sony struggled with PS3 early on, and later extended also to help/support the failing Vita... improved GWG was a counter move and GP is kind of the evolutionary follow up punch after totally fumbling the previous gen and now trying to resurrect the brand with it. Since we only have one reality though, hard to know the effects it may or may not have had and will have- it can only be estimates and analyzing how much users a, b, c spents in gen 1, 2, 3 for what etc. Similar to piracy. Xbox marketing at their shows certainly don't miss an oppurtunity to remind us which games are coming to GP and it's obviously important to MS, one of the things that set them apart. The "losing" platform had done some customer friendly stuff beside trying to get games on their platform, which certainly cost them money short term, but with intend to get that money long term. Gaika and onlive, TV TV TV NFL something did probably not return anything, simply no one cared. And GP as of now did not really move the needle in their favor. It makes gaming cheaper for those who use it, but it did not really attract that many gamers so far. Still open if it was a wise move, but PS5 currently gains some momentum with improved availability while Xbox may or may not finally get some games this year. MS is lucky if they can keep the gap similar as previous gen, unless coming games really trigger something. GP might then also start to show more effects than now.

cireza

Banned
cireza cireza

No come back? just a laugh smiley? There is no comeback. Microsoft themselves said Gamepass reduces sales. Shill harder
I believe that Microsoft are conspiring against players AND the US government as well.

Or maybe that Game Pass leads to a reduction in sales without this being substantial in any way.

I believe that Microsoft are conspiring against players AND the US government as well.

Or maybe that Game Pass leads to a reduction in sales without this being substantial in any way.
You had better not read Microsoft's own words on this because you're in for a shock.

What a shock that someone on a gaming forum would move goalposts like a child rather than admitting they were at fault and willing to learn like an adult. Gaming isn't for kids though !

NickFire

If split-screen coop is an issue, just drop it. Ain't nobody that interested in that in 2023! Good lord, you'd have to actually know people. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
No need to drop a feature from every version except for parity clauses. It would be much better for consumers if parity was not required than to have features cut from every sku.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
You had better not read Microsoft's own words on this because you're in for a shock.

What a shock that someone on a gaming forum would move goalposts like a child rather than admitting they were at fault and willing to learn like an adult. Gaming isn't for kids though !
Why not provide the exact numbers then ? If there is a source with them.

EN250

The studio probably wants GP money or actual Sony exclusivity, would appreciate an incentive either way, and or it just got naturally low priority because the market share makes it a less important port destination.

Isn't it late for that? They said there is no exclusivity deal involved and are trying to fix whatever problem they have with the X version, it's not confirmed to launch there yet because they don't know how long it'll take to be ready

Three

Look at that, a 4GB video RAM requirement and an 8GB system RAM requirement, keep in mind this ran on X1/PS4 on a 5GB unified memory pool.
I see you edited your post with this. In what world does X1 and PS4 have 5 GB of unified memory? They have 8GB of RAM.

If you are deducting OS footprint you would need to do the same for all other systems meaning Series S only has 8GB or less of RAM and you would need to reduce PC min spec too.

You can run RE8 with lower than 4GB of VRAM at reduced framerate and res (30fps) but these are at min spec. (those GPUs don't come with lower VRAM anyway).

BG3 isn't crossgen. Using min spec on console with everything on low and reducing it even further for splitscreen in BG3 would not be a pretty sight. That requires work to get it running acceptably across X and S. It's certainly not the X that's the issue there though.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I see you edited your post with this. In what world does X1 and PS4 have 5 GB of unified memory? They have 8GB of RAM.

I was referring to the memory pool available to the software, that's correct. Historically, a game that runs on a GPU with a VRAM limit roughly equivalent to the consoles shared pool should be workable on console. A game that can run on a 4GB GPU should never be a problem for the XSS in basic operation. The XSS shouldn't really feel the heat until developers drop support for 8GB PC GPUs.

Three

I was referring to the memory pool available to the software, that's correct. Historically, a game that runs on a GPU with a VRAM limit roughly equivalent to the consoles shared pool should be workable on console. A game that can run on a 4GB GPU should never be a problem for the XSS in basic operation. The XSS shouldn't really feel the heat until developers drop support for 8GB PC GPUs.
Not sure that's accurate at all. It's a lot more complicated than that and a specific VRAM isn't even given sometimes. It's the system memory that is more important because that's what affects gameplay, mapsize, number of enemies, and features like splitscreen. Things that you usually cant cut back on to achieve gameplay and feature parity on a console port.

VRAM isn't that important to getting a game workable on console.
A lot of min VRAM specs on PC can run on lower VRAM with decent graphics but they list the lowest VRAM configuration of the GPU supported but other games list a barely passable game at min spec with horrendous graphics. They also never state exact system RAM use because they list requirements as 4,8,16 etc. Your example of RE8 uses less than 8GB system RAM (benchmarking memory use it floats around 7GB total RAM including OS) it can run with 2GB VRAM at 30fps low res, even though the min listed is 4GB because of the GPUs listed. There are other games like ARK which have min specs that are horrific when played with high min spec. Arks splitscreen is downright broken on console aswell.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

^ Devs are used to the requirement to be efficient with memory usage on console. Last gen the pool for tasks not associated with the GPU was only like 1-2GB most of the time, I would expect the XSX/PS5 to hover around 3 to 3.5GB for the same usage. The XSS should be fine there, it will be the video memory that pinches it. But given low-end PC, I think it will muddle through with that as well. 5GB VRAM or so on a controlled platform is likely good until you move passed 8GB on PC, like I said, I guess we'll see how it works out.

Like you said, maybe in oddball situations the devs might allocate memory differently on the big boys since they can, and maybe that is an issue in this case. But we don't know that.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm just quoting the devs of the Gunk. It was a pure horseshit answer by them at the time and it stuck by me.

It's obvious it is the Series S in this case as the devs have stated as much. It's hardly the Series X causing the issues.

Yes, it's the Series S that's causing the issues. That much makes sense.

onQ123

[/URL][/URL]

As we watch PS4/PS5 games sell 10m , 15m & 20m copies & Switch games sell 20m , 30m & 40m copies in the last few years you want to pretend like there haven't been a drop off in Xbox game sales over the years?

Halo & Gears of War is now being outsold by more than 2:1 by games like Ghost of Tsushima & Horizon Zero Dawn these games didn't even exist a few years ago while Xbox heavy hitters were once the biggest games in the industry.

Edit: How did I end up in this thread? I thought I was in the new one SMH

Last edited:
Top Bottom