• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 for the Xbox isnt ruled out

Bo_Hazem

Banned
"Shit we paid a garbage port house with zero AAA experience for a KOTOR exclusive and it blew up in our faces, find another big RPG NOW!"

Stop Crying Workin Moms GIF by CBC

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Guys come on, if the developer says it's because of the hardware limitations of the Series S then it's clearly because the developers are Sony shills. All they needed to do was use this "SFS" feature from DX12 Ultimate whose functionality we barely understand but believe it's 300% effective because a video made by Microsoft said so.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So wait, is a dev admitting that they focus on one platform sometimes more than another?

I wonder how often this happens?

Playstation has sold more, focus on that version and we'll get a team on the xbox version once that one is looking in good shape....

I wonder?

Last edited:

DryvBy

Before Sony fans get carried away, it will most definitely come to Xbox :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If Mac is getting a release then this game will be on every platform under the sun. Divinity OS2 runs on PC, PS, Xbox, Switch, iPadOS. The first game even got a Linux release lol.

The game isn't even out of Early Access yet and no doubt Sony splashed some money to get the attention on them. We'll probably start getting more platform info later this year when it's out of Early Access.

The thread explains that this is a technical issue, but reading: how the heck does that work?!

Mr Moose

So wait, is a dev admitting that they focus on one platform sometimes more than another?

I wonder how often this happens?

Playstation has sold more, focus on that version and we'll get a team on the xbox version once that one is looking in good shape....

I wonder?
Hey all,
Thanks for all the hype and enthusiasm following yesterday’s announcement that Baldur’s Gate 3 is coming to PS5 day and date with PC on August 31st!
Xbox players, we’ve seen your questions about if/when you can expect Baldur’s Gate 3 on Xbox. We’ve had an Xbox version of Baldur’s Gate 3 in the works for some time, but we have run into some technical issues – particularly with split-screen co-op. We are still working on an Xbox version of BG3, but we’re not yet confident enough to announce it. We don’t like announcing anything until we’re ready, because we don’t want to get peoples hopes up until we’re sure we can deliver.
There’s no platform exclusivity preventing us from releasing BG3 on Xbox day and date, should that be a technical possibility. If and when we do announce further platforms, we want to make sure each version lives up to our standards & expectations. Thanks for understanding!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Crazy that it's supposed to be technical difficulty holding up the xbox version.

Hopefully they get it sorted soon.

spons

Gold Member
The Series S has less RAM, and what's available runs at a lower speed than the Series X. Shit the Deck has more RAM available for games (albeit even slower).
If there are technical difficulties, it's probably that.

That's not true and even if it were, it's not the only thing that matters. They need to consider the market and number of possible potential buyers. Until yesterday nobody cared about this game, then today suddenly a herd of Xbox fans started complaining that the game won't be on Xbox. It's clearly not about interest in the title...
You honestly believe it’s easier to port a DirectX 11 PC game to PS5 than it is to Xbox S/X?

There were reports of devs being able to get existing DirectX 11 games ported to Xbox Series X in a playable state in less than a week at the beginning of the generation.

Three

They claim some kind of ‘technical issue’ relating to co-op. My point is that it would surely take more effort to port a DirectX 11 pc game to PS5 than to Xbox which runs a branch of DirectX 12.
He is obviously telling you no amount of "DirectX API" is going to save you from what this is likely to be. A hardware technical difficulty. i.e likely running this on specific specs. Even xbox first party abandoned their split screen support due to the difficulty they were having.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

You honestly believe it’s easier to port a DirectX 11 PC game to PS5 than it is to Xbox S/X?

There were reports of devs being able to get existing DirectX 11 games ported to Xbox Series X in a playable state in less than a week at the beginning of the generation.
The PS5 has the same architecture as a PC, it's not like it's something like the PS3. And perhaps it's easier to develop for the PS5 overall, which could explain the distinct advantage it has over the XSX in a number of games.

But the real reason the PS5 port happens first is simply the brand's market share.

Mister Wolf

The PS5 has the same architecture as a PC, it's not like it's something like the PS3. And perhaps it's easier to develop for the PS5 overall, which could explain the distinct advantage it has over the XSX in a number of games.

But the real reason the PS5 port happens first is simply the brand's market share.

Makes sense. Larian are their own publisher. They don't want to expend the resources focusing on PC, Mac, and three consoles at the same time to hit release date.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Before Sony fans get carried away, it will most definitely come to Xbox :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If Mac is getting a release then this game will be on every platform under the sun. Divinity OS2 runs on PC, PS, Xbox, Switch, iPadOS. The first game even got a Linux release lol.

The game isn't even out of Early Access yet and no doubt Sony splashed some money to get the attention on them. We'll probably start getting more platform info later this year when it's out of Early Access.

This is weird that it's getting Mac support but not xbox. What's happening here? Something is up.

Very odd. if the game is running on PC why shouldn't it not run on Xbox? What kind of specific problem they have on that platform? I wonder if this could be lack of available memory on XSS for the split screen mode? What else could it be?

SomeGit

We don't know the mac min spec so it's not really that weird.

Mac min spec is i7 2.6/RX460 or M1 with 8GB and it runs pretty well on it. The game isn't that demanding that it wouldn't run on Series S, it's not likely to be hardware related, probably some issue with the port and choose to give priority to the PS5 version.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Okay, just read their "reason". So the Xbox Series S is finally holding back games? Still find it hard to believe.
I dont believe it at all. Sony bought exclusivity. How else could the game play on a PS5 and not on the XSS?

I have proof.

The devs of The Gunk could run that game on the XSS but the PS5 was too weak a console.

3aEOIzK.jpg

Mac min spec is i7 2.6/RX460 or M1 with 8GB and it runs pretty well on it. The game isn't that demanding that it wouldn't run on Series S, it's not likely to be hardware related, probably some issue with the port and choose to give priority to the PS5 version.
Yeah don't forget the 4GB of GPU memory on that PC (so say 6GB main + 4GB video = 10GB total memory required). XSS has 8GB for main + video memory.

SomeGit

Yeah don't forget the 4GB of GPU memory on that PC (so say 6GB main + 4GB video = 10GB total memory required). XSS has 8GB for main + video memory.

On the M1? That's the version I've played and aside from the GPU bottleneck and having to use medium texture it ran fine. 8GB Mac M1 Mini.

Last edited:
Whether it's easier to port a DX PC game to Xbox or not is irrelevant when the roadblock you've hit boils down to hardware

So it’s hardware related? Maybe, maybe not. The hardware is pretty similar across skus. The Series S has a slighty weaker GPU though runs at a lower resolution to offset this discrepancy.

He is obviously telling you no amount of "DirectX API" is going to save you from what this is likely to be. A hardware technical difficulty. i.e likely running this on specific specs. Even xbox first party abandoned their split screen support due to the difficulty they were having.

Technical difficulty doesn’t necessarily imply a relation to hardware. More likely it’s either architectural or a problem with their intended software implementation.

Soltype

People should be upset about the fact they can't get the PC version out, but they're launching a PS5 version the same day. Something fishy is going on regardless.

Banned

yet the splitscreen in Halo works very well, so well in fact that John from Digital Foundry played through the game with his son that way to test it.
it even ran reasonably well on rhe fucking One S.

343 is a horseshit developer and they canceled splitscreen because they can't sell it as a microtransaction.

the hardware can't be an issue when way worse PC hardware can run the game just fine

Last edited:
It's also significantly worse in the RAM department which is where split screen co op would have issues

It does have less RAM though it runs lower resolution textures due to its intended 1080p output. Put simply, it doesn’t need the same amount of RAM as the texture sizes are 4x smaller. Devs have access to roughly 8GB for games. Most games that run at 1080p don’t use anywhere near that amount of memory.

The only devs that have complained are the ones with the most inefficient and unoptimised games I.e. Gotham Knights by WB Games Montréal.

It does have less RAM though it runs lower resolution textures due to its intended 1080p output. Put simply, it doesn’t need the same amount of RAM as the texture sizes are 4x smaller. Devs have access to roughly 8GB for games. Most games that run at 1080p don’t use anywhere near that amount of memory.

The only devs that have complained are the ones with the most inefficient and unoptimised games I.e. Gotham Knights by WB Games Montréal.

Targeting a 1080p output doesn't mean textures will be 1080p. They're completely independent.

Last edited:
yet the splitscreen in Halo works very well, so well in fact that John from Digital Foundry played through the game with his son that way to test it.
it even ran reasonably well on rhe fucking One S.

343 is a horseshit developer and they canceled splitscreen because they can't sell it as a microtransaction.

the hardware can't be an issue when way worse PC hardware can run the game just fine
I thought of Halo when i saw this split screen problem from larian, and checked youtube, i couldn't find any video of the Series S running the split screen, only Xbox One and Xbox Series X.

Unless i am wrong, it supports 2 person split screen on Xbox one and 4 person on Xbox Series. On the Digital Foundry, the One version ran mostly at 540p, Series X one is good, but its only tested on 2 persons mode i think.

Wonder if anyone played the Series S one on 2-4 person mode and how was it running resolution wise etc

Top Bottom