• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed Releases Fall 2024 - New Gameplay Revealed | Xbox Direct 2024

winjer

Gold Member

This game will probably use UE5, so it will have the technical prowess of modern game engine.
But the art style doesn't look good. And then we have terrible writing and voice acting. And what seems to be a very average combat system.
So the only good thing going for this game is made by another company. Epic.

ManaByte

8cu8zn.jpg

I'd buy one if they removed the Avowed bit.
fDfss8m.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
I can get over the change in colors from dark, foreboding to these more colorful designs (eventhough that gloomy teaser looked so awesome) as long as the combat isn't as bad as it looks right now. It's almost looks turn based.

The Obsidian that gave us Kotor 2, New Vegas and Alpha Protocol, no longer exists. These people are Obsidian in name only and The Outer Worlds is one of the most overrated RPGs of all time, I hate that game with a passion.
You should pay a visit to the Avowed subreddit. It's a literal echo chamber, where no-one even bothers to acknowledge the awful looking portions of the latest trailer. I mean, yes, it looks good. But it's far from looking great. And if I said so myself once, I'll say it a hundred more times. The Obsidian that gave people the joys that were, New Vegas, Alpha Protocol & Kotor are no more.

The Obsidian that was there during their early post Interplay days isn't the Obsidian we have now, that ship has sailed a long, long time ago, prior to the acquisition by Microsoft. Most of the originals, besides a handful (like Sawyer), who spearheaded the founding of Obsidian are already gone. But even Sawyer is beginning to show his age. I am cautiously optimistic about Avowed, but the original vision and scope seems to have changed midway through development. I'll be keeping an eye on it, but I no longer view it as my most anticipated Xbox game. That key art is awesome though, so I'll give them props for that. Whoever drew that, needs a raise!!!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This game will probably use UE5, so it will have the technical prowess of modern game engine.
But the art style doesn't look good. And then we have terrible writing and voice acting. And what seems to be a very average combat system.
So the only good thing going for this game is made by another company. Epic.

Ok, I'll give you points for creativity. That's definitely the first time I've heard this one being used against a game.

Laptop1991

but the original vision and scope seems to have changed midway through development
I agree with you, i wonder if that was Zenimax/Bethesda after MS bought them, after all Obsidian offered to do another Fallout and a TES game 10 years ago and Zenimax/Bethesda turned them straight down to concentrate on their MMO's with monetization, knowing full well their fans wanted more SP games, they don't like Obsidian doing version's of their games they can't be bothered to make anymore!

Romulus

I definitely think this has a chance to be amazing. Maybe not in the way some ppl want(prettier elder scrolls) but damn it cld be it's own thing and great.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Is it me or does most, if not all, of the characters have dreaded hair?

I like how colorful the game looks.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

DF thinks the game is using both Nanite and Lumen based on the footage.

I think that was pretty obvious if you watched it on a TV, but I'm not an expert. It's why I said the environments looked significantly better than I was expecting, and far past anything I've seen Obsidian do on their own graphically. The desert rocks area looks like Jusant but more detailed. NPCs do look a little odd, but the environments look great.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think that was pretty obvious if you watched it on a TV. It's why I said the environments looked significantly better than I was expecting, and far past anything I've seen Obsidian do on their own graphically. The desert rocks area looks like Jusant but more detailed. NPCs do look a little odd, but the environments look great.

Also using Unreal's Virtual Shadow Maps.

I have to imagine The Coalition is involved in this project somewhere, or in all Xbox UE5 projects in general, since they have been integral to UE5 as a whole.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The format of this is again, pretty good. Just chilling, talking about game mechanics only in depth.

Tina Amini is doing a good job with all this.

foamdino

Still didn't show anything other than combat and the dialog of that same side quest.

I want to see skills/talents/inventory etc.

This looks to be much more of an action game than an RPG and the fact that in an "extended look" they are not showing any RPG mechanics is a big hint that this game is not for me.

Top Bottom