• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 officially titled Avatar: The Way Of Water, releasing in NA on December 16

Aggelos

"‘Avatar 2’ Stuns Press in Rave First Reactions: ‘Visual Masterpiece,‘ ‘Mind-Blowing,’ ’Never Doubt’ James Cameron.
After 13 years of anticipation, James Cameron’s “Avatar: The Way of Water” has finally been unveiled to members of the press following the movie’s world premiere in London. The first reactions to the film are overwhelmingly positive, with many journalists blown away once again by Cameron’s boundless imagination and pristine visual effects."

Chiggs

Gold Member
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/avatar-2-way-water-reactions-1235276522/

Haters on suicide watch.

Mike Ryan of Uproxx: “Yeah never bet against James Cameron. Trying to spare hyperbole, but I’ve never seen anything like this from a technical, visual standpoint. It’s overwhelming. Maybe too overwhelming. Sometimes I’d miss plot points because I’m staring at a Pandora fish. Also, I rewatched the first AVATAR over the weekend and basically settled on ‘that was fine.’ The sequel has much better and deeper character development.”

Perri Nemiroff of Collider: “#AvatarTheWayOfWater is pretty incredible. I had faith James Cameron would raise the bar w/ the effects but these visuals are mind-blowing. One stunning frame after the next. But the thing I dug most is how the technical feats always feel in service of character & world-building.”

Ian Sandwell of Digital Spy: “Unsurprisingly, #AvatarTheWayOfWater is a visual masterpiece with rich use of 3D and breathtaking vistas. It does suffer from a thin story and too many characters to juggle, yet James Cameron pulls it together for an extraordinary final act full of emotion and thrilling action.”

Jeff Nelson of CheatSheet: “#Avatar/#AvatarTheWayOfTheWater is a visual marvel with mesmerizing beauty in every frame. James Cameron’s sequel thrives when it explores new terrain, crafting bigger and better emotional stakes. The definition of epic.”

David Sims of The Atlantic: “AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER absolutely owns bones. I was slapping my seat, hooting, screaming for the Na’vi to take out every last one of those dang sky people …it’s an Avatar movie: slow start, big build, incredibly involving second act with a ton of world building and cool creatures that blisses you way out, then an hour of screamingly good crystal clear emotionally trenchant action to send you home full and happy.”

David Ehrlich of IndieWire: “Avatar The Way of Water: lol imagine being dumb enough to bet against James Cameron. or teen alien Sigourney Weaver. or giant whales subtitled in papyrus. light years better than the first & easily one of the best theatrical experiences in ages. streaming found dead in a ditch. I was, uh, not exactly champing at the bit for an Avatar 2 (even if ‘James Cameron + wet’ tends to work out pretty well). now I can’t *wait* to see Avatar 3. that’s basically all I wanted out of this and it delivered in a big way.”

Kara Warner of People: “As an Avatar stan, I had high hopes for #AvatarTheWayofWater and for me it totally delivers. Sure it’s a little long, but worth it for the gorgeous visuals, wonderful new characters. A total thrill.”

Scott Mantz, Producer: “AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER is breathtakingly beautiful with the most incredible VFX I have ever seen (I saw it in 3D); the story itself is weaker than the first and feels drawn out at 3 hours & 10 minutes, but it’s always great to look at & the last hour is amazing.”

Erik Davis of Fandango: “Happy to say #AvatarTheWayOfWater is phenomenal! Bigger, better & more emotional than #Avatar, the film is visually breathtaking, visceral & incredibly engrossing. The story, the spectacle, the spirituality, the beauty – this is moviemaking & storytelling at its absolute finest.”

Drew Taylor of The Wrap: “Have now seen #Avatar twice and am overwhelmed by both its technical mastery and unexpectedly intimate emotional scope. Yes the world is expanded and sequels teased but the characters are most important. Cameron is in top form, especially in final act. Good to have him back.”

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Chiggs said:
It does suffer from a thin story and too many characters
the story itself is weaker than the first and feels drawn out at 3 hours & 10 minutes
1379128663_tumblr_lzofixKhrf1qecvyeo1_500.gif

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Congrats, you zeroed in on one negative comment and ignored the other comments which contradicted that one.
Two comments, and the others talked around it. Specifically the story is weaker than the first, but if you just want to see it for the CG only then more power to you.

Got multiple IMAX tickets ready for me and some family members. Some of them have been asking about Avatar 2 for years now.

Can't wait, I'm pretty sure this movie is going to do huge numbers.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Not a hater, but having the press gush over a movie means nothing now.

But will be happily surprised if it's a great film. My expectations were a good story and a visual feast
It only means something when they agree with my preconceived notions!

But in the case of Cameron, I'll discount the Disney thugs with blackjacks standing over these guys as they hammer out their gushing tweets on that hate platform :p

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't wanna jinx it, but if Avatar 2 winds up with a global box office of less than 1$ billion in revenue, the next film James Cameron will get to do will be "Piranha III: Next Generation" (sequel to Piranha II : The Spawning).
With a budget of 1$ million or something...

ui3PnsO.gif
Why would he make a sequel to a movie he really didn’t direct and was fired off of after two weeks?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Not a hater, but having the press gush over a movie means nothing now.

Oh please. We live in a day and age when the knives are out for anything and everything, and now that Avatar 2 is garnering a lot of rave reviews, you're going to act like it's nothing.

That's cool, bro. I SEE YOU.

https://988lifeline.org/

Probably should have read them before commenting.

Funny, I was thinking the exact same about you. Maybe it's time to go away and find a new thread? Especially since you won't get your way in this one.

That guy was really trying hard to find negatives in every positive review from twitter. He even tried to spin the positive comments into negatives. I take it he's not the biggest fan of Avatar?

Totally agree. He has to stop and pause after he reads a glowing review to find some foot in the door to spin his bullshit. What a loser. How fucking dead inside must you be to do something like that?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
loool

That guy was really trying hard to find negatives in every positive review from twitter. He even tried to spin the positive comments into negatives. I take it he's not the biggest fan of Avatar?

Nah he's one of the grifters on YouTube who monetizes hate.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I hope this makes reviewers go back and appreciate the original a bit more. People trash it for being Pocahantas in space, but it was so much more. The world he crafted was so different and Jake's journey felt new and original despite it being a generic one. It still has one of the best finales in an action movie. Even End Game had a mediocre finale that felt like it was shot in a warehouse. Most movies nowadays with an infinite CG budget basically crawl to the finish line with Mad Men and some Christopher nolan films being an exception, but watchnig Avatar in 3D HFR made me appreciate it a lot more.

We've had like 30 Marvel movies and around 15 DC movies, and very few other action movies come out since Avatar in 2009, and none of them have come close to matching Avatar's sense of scale and ambition. End Game literally felt like a sitcom for 90% of the movie. Avatar's last hour is explosive. A worthy ending to a blockbuster that we used to get with the LOTR movies.

I hope this makes reviewers go back and appreciate the original a bit more. People trash it for being Pocahantas in space, but it was so much more. The world he crafted was so different and Jake's journey felt new and original despite it being a generic one. It still has one of the best finales in an action movie. Even End Game had a mediocre finale that felt like it was shot in a warehouse. Most movies nowadays with an infinite CG budget basically crawl to the finish line with Mad Men and some Christopher nolan films being an exception, but watchnig Avatar in 3D HFR made me appreciate it a lot more.

We've had like 30 Marvel movies and around 15 DC movies, and very few other action movies come out since Avatar in 2009, and none of them have come close to matching Avatar's sense of scale and ambition. End Game literally felt like a sitcom for 90% of the movie. Avatar's last hour is explosive. A worthy ending to a blockbuster that we used to get with the LOTR movies.

Fucking THIS. That part of the movie just feels...off. Still enjoyed it though.

LOTR was spectacular in cinema. I remember being blown away by the epic scenery and couldn't believe all that was right around the corner having made my home here in NZ coming from South Africa.

For Way Of Water I'm keen to see how they've improved the 3D but will rewatch in 2D somewhere down the line.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Funny, I was thinking the exact same about you. Maybe it's time to go away and find a new thread? Especially since you won't get your way in this one.
I hope they’re paying you for these awful comments. Keep those blinders on.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm probably one of the very few people here that actually liked the first movie.

Everything I'm hearing about the second sounds great and I would love to see it but I don't think I'm going to the theaters again. I'll have to wait for it to show up on Disney Plus.

James Cameron is an absolute exceptional filmmaker and one of the few people who can make a sequel even better than the original.

My only problem with all this is, that many of you know, my father just passed away and he also loved the first movie and won't be able to see the sequel.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I guess china is opening up and relaxing covid restrictions because this is premiering next week cameron once again saves the day

TylerD

This looks like an epic feast for the eyes and event movie. Some of those gifs and that new trailer are pretty amazing and I'm officially excited now.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
lol and to think there are people in here who actually bet against James Cameron of all fucking people... nah the guys is an absolute fucking wizard of a filmmaker, he just doesnt do shite films and even if the story doesnt gel with you, you still get a visual & technical masterpeice that is leagues better than anything that comes before it, cant fucking wait to see this in 3D iMAX..

sinnergy

lol and to think there are people in here who actually bet against James Cameron of all fucking people... nah the guys is an absolute fucking wizard of a filmmaker, he just doesnt do shite films and even if the story doesnt gel with you, you still get a visual & technical masterpeice that is leagues better than anything that comes before it, cant fucking wait to see this in 3D iMAX..
It hip to piss on everything, didn’t you get the memo?? 🤣

Chiggs

Gold Member
It hip to piss on everything, didn’t you get the memo?? 🤣

And when you piss on Avatar, don't forget to include "hilarious" comments that reference:
  • The Smurfs
  • Pocahontas
  • FernGully
  • Dances With Wolves
Talk about the cutting edge of comedy, am I right?

I personally get a kick out of the people who constantly reference FernGully as a way to deliver the ULTIMATE INTERNET SUPERSLAM at Avatar. It's not like FernGully was a hit, and it's hardly a cultural staple, so why are they so familiar with it? :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:

Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
And when you piss on Avatar, don't forget to include "hilarious" comments that reference:
  • The Smurfs
  • Pocahontas
  • FernGully
  • Dances With Wolves
Talk about the cutting edge of comedy, am I right?

I personally get a kick out of the people who constantly reference FernGully as a way to deliver the ULTIMATE INTERNET SUPERSLAM at Avatar. It's not like FernGully was a hit, and it's hardly a cultural staple, so why are they so familiar with it? :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:

Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)
I get a kick out of people being overly defensive over a movie. *Shrugs*

I cannot wrap my head around the different formats. The cinema chain in my country lists a bunch of 3D HFR showings and 3D Dolby Atmos showings that are not HFR (???). On the IMAX tickets page they say it will be HFR if available lol? They're all Digital Xenon IMAX screens so I'm pretty sure they're not getting the HFR version.
We're one week away from the advance showings and I'm still confused.

Jon Landua mentioned that Avatar 5 to some degree takes place on Earth and its apparently to open Natiri's eyes to what is going on on the planet and that not all humans are bad.

Just got me thinking yesterday.

What if Natiri gets killed in her Navi body (somewhere at the end of Part 4) and they reanimate her in a host human body (Zoe) so she can live on Earth and experience the different cultures as a human being?

That would be an amazing conclusion to the whole saga.

Also Cameron said this in an interview Collider:

'When I sent in the script for 2, the studio sent me 3 pages of notes.
'When I sent in the script for 3, they gave sent me a page of notes. So I was getting better.
'When I turned in the script for 4, the studio, the creative director wrote me an email that said 'Holy Fuck!!'

😱

Ok, so my hype levels for 4 continues to rise by the day. I fucking hope we get to see it.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Jon Landua mentioned that Avatar 5 to some degree takes place on Earth and its apparently to open Natiri's eyes to what is going on on the planet and that not all humans are bad.

Just got me thinking yesterday.

What if Natiri gets killed in her Navi body (somewhere at the end of Part 4) and they reanimate her in a host human body (Zoe) so she can live on Earth and experience the different cultures as a human being?

That would be an amazing conclusion to the whole saga.

Also Cameron said this in an interview Collider:

'When I sent in the script for 2, the studio sent me 3 pages of notes.
'When I sent in the script for 3, they gave sent me a page of notes. So I was getting better.
'When I turned in the script for 4, the studio, the creative director wrote me an email that said 'Holy Fuck!!'

😱

Ok, so my hype levels for 4 continues to rise by the day. I fucking hope we get to see it.
I love Avatar but holy fuck by the sounds of it Cameron is double-downing on all of the messaging around climate change hysteria.

I fully expect the later Avatar films to beat you over the head with it.

I love Avatar but holy fuck by the sounds of it Cameron is double-downing on all of the messaging around climate change hysteria.

I fully expect the later Avatar films to beat you over the head with it.

Don't give a monkeys uncle as long as there's a good story.

RAÏSanÏa

I was encouraged by his talking about working together as one of the great human qualities being told in the story involving environmental themes. Shall be looking for dramatized sublimate of the Montreal Protocol.

Top Bottom