• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 officially titled Avatar: The Way Of Water, releasing in NA on December 16

sinnergy

Ah cool! My girlfriend never saw it in 3D , and I have been raving about how it’s the best movie to show 3D because he basically invented the modern use of 3D and cinematography.

Aggelos

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Avatar 1 is still great and fresh in peoples minds, especially with the re releases, 4K and no disrespect to other directors but they aren’t James Cameron.

Stuart360

Its freaking annoying that Cameron went with 48fps over 60fps, and thus limiting a home version to shitty 24fps. Can you imagine watching The Way or Water at home like this -

Elysion

Banned
Its freaking annoying that Cameron went with 48fps over 60fps, and thus limiting a home version to shitty 24fps.

Are modern TVs not able to display content in 48fps? I have no idea about this kind of stuff, so I’m curious why 48fps would be a problem.

ManaByte

Are modern TVs not able to display content in 48fps? I have no idea about this kind of stuff, so I’m curious why 48fps would be a problem.
The UHD format doesn't support 48fps playback (which is why the Hobbit movies didn't get a HFR home release). It DOES support 60fps and the disc versions of Ang Le's last two movies are in 60fps.

Aggelos

In two months, ladies and gents.

Take an exclusive, behind-the-scenes look at the creative process of James Cameron’s upcoming mega sequel in The Art of Avatar: The Way of Water, available for order now.

Packed with hundreds of stunning images and written in collaboration with the filmmakers themselves, uncover the incredible creative and technical skill that went into the making of Avatar: The Way of Water. Featuring stunning concept art and intricate character, creature, and costume designs, uncover the details of Pandora in striking detail. Art of Avatar: The Way of Water is produced in collaboration with James Cameron’s production company, Lightstorm Entertainment, and Twentieth Century Film.

With a foreword by filmmaker Robert Rodriguez.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned

Haha so now going to this film is going to be a virtue signal in and of itself.

I mean I really like Avatar but miss me with this activism nonsense. Go talk to the big corporations and governments that are fucking up our planet. Your pandering is wasted on me.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Got my IMAX 3D tickets for saturday!!!

Can.

not.

wait!!!

Ket me clarify, Saturday Dec 17th, not some sort of awesome early screening :p

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
Saw the new trailer in 3D during Wakanda Forever and my jaw dropped with how beautiful it was!!! The 3D was batshit insane how things literally popped off the screen like you are really there! Literally everything else paled in comparison visually and this was just a trailer!! Can't fucking wait!!!

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Saw the new trailer in 3D during Wakanda Forever and my jaw dropped with how beautiful it was!!! The 3D was batshit insane how things literally popped off the screen like you are really there! Literally everything else paled in comparison visually and this was just a trailer!! Can't fucking wait!!!
When I went to see Wakanda Forever people audibly groaned during the trailer for Avatar 2 granted I didn't see it in 3d.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
First film to hit 3bil worldwide (assuming it has a full proper release in China).
Book mark this post to handout the smilies if i'm miles out lol.
Hopefully.

I'm kinda curious just what the "real" budget for this film is given the loooooooong dev time. I'm also curious how much of the future films are in the can now and what the budget for 3-5 would actually be if A2 underperforms.

No doubt Fox/Disney would say A2 cost 500 mill or more just so A2 would be a tax loss no matter how well it does :p Bet they rolled a lot of filming for A3-5 into the A2 budget and then they will creatively double bill for those films when it comes time for accounting.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They need to have The Guardians of the Galaxy or Dr. Strange drop in during a post-credits sequence or something and then the movie would do billions.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Seems like some lost in translation reporting there as we know he was given 1bil for 3 sequels. So unless he's gone MASSIVELY over budget, this doesnt really make sense.
It would also mean A2 would have a budget of around 800mil (assuming around 200mil marketing budget), and again why would A2 cost 800mil to make?.

I'll bet anything that what was being said was the sequels combined need to make 2bil to break even, which would make sense as we know he was given 1bil for the sequels (Usually a movie needs to make double its budget plus marketing to break even), or maybe A2 and A3 if Cameron ended up using the whole 1bil budget on A2 and A3, which is possible i suppose (3 is already filmed, part of 4 is already filmed, and according to Stephen Lange, Cameron has even shot the finale to A5).

Last edited:

Trilobit

Bought tickets to family, looking forward to some glorious 3D cinema. The Corona years were crappy and long, so hopefully this winter is more normal.

Aggelos

"The Way of Water‘s production budget is one of the priciest in Hollywood’s history, and is in the $350 million to $400 million range, according to sources."

China

QT9aOHn.jpg

Japan

QKfQqs8.jpg

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
They've been working on the sequels simultaneously. I'm maybe mistaken but I don't believe he really took time off between Avatar 1 coming out and him starting work on 2. So it's not like he fucked around for years, then decided he wanted to make some more money and so went back to the Avatar well.

Cameron did fuck around for years though, he was busy doing fun projects for himself like diving to the Titanic and then diving to the bottom of the Mariana trench. Ocean exploration is his passion and that interest is going to play a big role in the new Avatar movie.

DKehoe

Cameron did fuck around for years though, he was busy doing fun projects for himself like diving to the Titanic and then diving to the bottom of the Mariana trench. Ocean exploration is his passion and that interest is going to play a big role in the new Avatar movie.
Maybe so but I meant in the sense that Avatar 2 (and beyond) was always his plan. I was meaning it's not like he basically retired, ran out of money and then decided to go back to the Avatar well as a way to get some money. Avatar 2 was always going to be his next film and he had always talked about doing a bunch of them.

Also, like you say underwater is clearly going to be a big focus of the next film and he had talked about using footage from the Mariana trench for Avatar 2. So he's still been working on stuff to do with it even when fucking around.

Raonak

Banned
Think it would have been way more interesting to focus the movie on a different planet with different alien species.

In it's currently state it feels... Pointless. The first movie didn't have an interesting enough story or characters to warrant a direct sequel imo.

FunkMiller

Think it would have been way more interesting to focus the movie on a different planet with different alien species.

In it's currently state it feels... Pointless. The first movie didn't have an interesting enough story or characters to warrant a direct sequel imo.
Lol Cameron has long ago mapped out multiple Avatar sequels featuring multiple alien races and planets. Pandora is not all there is.
The success of this one and part 3 will determine if he's able to fulfill his vision up to parts 4 and 5.

Top Bottom