• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Alien: Romulus’ – Fede Alvarez’s ‘Alien’ Movie Gets Official Title

jason10mm

Gold Member
I really just wanted that Rumored Alien movie with Ripley going to their "home world" and putting and end to them. also heard about an alternate story where the Aliens make it to Earth and start dominating the human race. Long, old trashed rumors were very interesting and I hoped they would materialize. Sadly...
I dunno, the idea of the xenomorphs having a specific origin planet that could be destroyed, ending the threat, is kinda like saying you are gonna burn the "Island of Weeds" and then everyone will have beautiful yards forevermore.

They are out there, scattered, waiting, the threat is eternal.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
That director knows how to make entertaining movies with tension. Looking forward to learning more about this. If the premise is solid, im on board

I'm guessing the Xeno is Romulus and the human is Remus? The Alien franchise is bollocks at this point so it really doesn't matter what the story is.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Why do they have a hard time putting in the classic characters, we all already want Ripley to come out, but it seems like it's a monumental challenge?

Adding Newt, Ripley or the other characters would greatly lift the franchise.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Why do they have a hard time putting in the classic characters, we all already want Ripley to come out, but it seems like it's a monumental challenge?

Adding Newt, Ripley or the other characters would greatly lift the franchise.
Ripley is played out, IMHO. She was in cryo sleep between Alien and Aliens, cryosleep between Aliens and Alien3, and dead (spoiler?) between Alien3 and Ressurection. There is no room for her. Same with Newt, unless you dump the film canon and go with the comics or something.

The theme of corporate greed outweighing value of human life is a solid one, though the later films got pretty hamfisted with it. I liked the William Gibson (I think) penned script of aliens on a space station with human zombie-like infected running around as an evolution of the alien lifecycle. Even Ridley heading down the AI as God road isn't a bad call, so long as the rest of the film around it holds up but both Prometheus and Covenant had just bizarre stupid expert moments in it, hard to keep immersion. Was never a big fan of the engineer stuff either with the goo and all that.

Alex11

Alien 1979 is my favourite movie to this day, really hope this new one kind of rubs off on it. In the sense that I want a personal one, eerie atmosphere, don't need a whole lot of explanation.

Too much explanation hurts any kind of movie medium, didn't need the explanation of the fossilized alien in the first movie, it really goes against the whole mystery.

Shodai

Will the main protagonist will be another attempt and recreating Ripley?
The discount Ripley in Covenant was an instant turn-off. It was so on the nose, and completely misunderstood what made Ripley a true strong female character. Quite shocking really. It seems these days writers think nose rings, tattoos, being a lesbian, and having no children is strength, and it's hilariously wrong.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I think there is something interesting about the idea of humanity exploring these sort of metaphysical subjects like the source of creation or meeting "gods" but it's a tricky needle to thread and Prometheus and Covenant did a kinda clumsy job attempting it. Hope this one pulls it off better if that's what they're going for.
This is exactly what doomed Prometheus, that desire to build an IP and Aliens SU.

Not, there is nothing interesting about exploring the metaphysical bs.
You see Alien, you shoot it, that’s what made Aliens great.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Take a fucking leaf outa Prey's book and just make a brilliant stand alone flick with a loose tie to the series, don't do a Ridley Scott and butcher the entire Alien Legacy by telling a story no cunt wanted to know

ManaByte

Gold Member
Take a fucking leaf outa Prey's book and just make a brilliant stand alone flick with a loose tie to the series, don't do a Ridley Scott and butcher the entire Alien Legacy by telling a story no cunt wanted to know

Good news, Dan Trachtenberg is coming back to make the next Predator.

DKehoe

This is exactly what doomed Prometheus, that desire to build an IP and Aliens SU.

Not, there is nothing interesting about exploring the metaphysical bs.
You see Alien, you shoot it, that’s what made Aliens great.
I think it’s an interesting concept but actually exploring it is tricky and probably makes it less interesting.

One of the things I love about Alien is how it doesn’t bother to explain stuff like the Space Jockeys. Some people stumble into something that’s beyond their comprehension and get absolutely fucked.

Ulysses 31

One of the things I love about Alien is how it doesn’t bother to explain stuff like the Space Jockeys. Some people stumble into something that’s beyond their comprehension and get absolutely fucked.
Sounds like you would be into Lovecraftian (inspired) stuff where the theme is we just see a little piece of a greater reality that we can't fully comprehend.

DKehoe

Sounds like you would be into Lovecraftian (inspired) stuff where the theme is we just see a little piece of a greater reality that we can't fully comprehend.
That Lovecraftian, cosmic horror element has been there since the start of the series. I don’t think that stuff needs to be the focus, and Prometheus and Covenant trying to tackle it more head on didn’t lead to great results, but you can have aspects lurking at the fringes.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Ridley just went off the deep end with Prometheus and Covenant, whilst it had his incredible eye for visual flair and some great scenes it ultimately fucked up the mythos by tacking on a backstory that absolutely ruined the mystery around both the original Engineer and the Aliens themselves, we didn't need to know any of that shit, just that somewhere out in the vast expanse of space there was both an intelligent species and a downright fucking horror like species...but nah all we got was the Aliens where created by some gender neutral fucking android from earth with god like delusions that somehow managed to wipe out an entire species that had been around since the dawn of time... Oh fuck off Ridely

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Wasn't this supposed to be the 3rd movie of the prequel trilogy linking the prequels to the original?
This is the problem that studio execs need to realize, not every movie needs to do a Marvel and link to a wider universe, just make a great movie first and foremost, throw in a few easter eggs for the fans and that'll more than suffice, when you try and link everything together especially to movies made years ago and make a coherent timeline you'll run into issues, that's why I loved Prey so much, it give us the fans exactly what we wanted, a bad ass predator hunting humans and a human protagonist, putting the predator against one of histories greatest human hunter tribes was a fantastic idea and then the small link to the previous movies via the gun.. *chefs kiss.. that's how you fucking to it.. hopefully Alverez gives the Alien flicks the much needed kick in the balls that Trachtenberg did for Predator and tbf his last movie was bloody brilliant so it's looking promising

Top Bottom