• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 officially titled Avatar: The Way Of Water, releasing in NA on December 16

Scotty W

Banned
Sounds like it is good. I have been waiting a long time, not until just a few days ago did I fear Cameron had gone woke.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I get a kick out of people being overly defensive over a movie. *Shrugs*

Maybe it's the nose-dive trajectory these threads tend to take when the critics come in with their hot takes that are about as funny as a shotgun blast to the face.

By all means, negative opinions should be allowed in any discussion, but when the shit is so consistently half-baked and unfunny....

Chris Gore's impression:

Much respect to Chris Gore. I saw him on Midnight's Edge and he started out by saying he laughed hard at some of the dialogue and the leaps in logic, and then he said "I was never once bored and I think it's going to be a huge hit."

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Much respect to Chris Gore. I saw him on Midnight's Edge and he started out by saying he laughed hard at some of the dialogue and the leaps in logic, and then he said "I was never once bored and I think it's going to be a huge hit."
If he were the only one saying the story was stupid you’d have a point, but you know very well he isn’t.

Chiggs

Gold Member
If he were the only one saying the story was stupid you’d have a point, but you know very well he isn’t.

I don't know that, but I agree with the Critical Drinker when he told Gore that the movie "put you in a really strange place," because on one hand he had some strong critiques of it, but on the other hand he was really entertained.

✋ Not a hater per se just wish he would have made other films instead of Avatar. We'll always have Aliens and T2. 💔
It's that he surprises me. Ticket price to see the movie Avatar 2... Here in Mexico, the VIP version with IMAX 3D with 4Dx experience, quality Onyx Dolby digital surround version, the ticket is only $7 dollars. 😱

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just swapped my IMAX ticket for a HFR 3D instead.
Ehhh, while I figure the tech may have matured a bit, HFR 3D made the first Hobbit film a TERRIBLE experience for me, one that still turns me off the film. Though for an almost entirelly CG film like A2 maybe it wouldn't be as bad. Still, HFR makes things look like a set, I've never seen it do well outside of sports/concert or a newscast.

Just give me more of the 3D in Avatar 1. It was plenty bright, smooth, detailed, and immersive. My ONLY complaint about the use of 3D in avatar 1 is that they applied it to the 2D photos within the film, so the images ALSO had a slight 3D effect as if they had depth, which clearly a 2D photo shouldn't. I've emailed my suggestions to Cameron numerous times but he hasn't gotten back to me yet :p

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Ehhh, while I figure the tech may have matured a bit, HFR 3D made the first Hobbit film a TERRIBLE experience for me, one that still turns me off the film. Though for an almost entirelly CG film like A2 maybe it wouldn't be as bad. Still, HFR makes things look like a set, I've never seen it do well outside of sports/concert or a newscast.
Cameron filmed it in HFR 3D. That’s how it’s meant to be seen.

skneogaf

James Cameron would choose resetera over neogaf, he is a proper soy boy!

I have tickets for real IMAX 3D in the higher fps but I will have to really concentrate on looking past all James's ulterior motive plot points that he loves doing.

I bet the movie will tick so many boxes we didn't know existed.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
My cousin saw premiere in Beverly Hills tonight and she said it was "long and boring".

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Just give me more of the 3D in Avatar 1. It was plenty bright, smooth, detailed, and immersive. My ONLY complaint about the use of 3D in avatar 1 is that they applied it to the 2D photos within the film, so the images ALSO had a slight 3D effect as if they had depth, which clearly a 2D photo shouldn't. I've emailed my suggestions to Cameron numerous times but he hasn't gotten back to me yet :p
Did you not watch the clip where Cameron explains his usage of HFR? Whilst I agree it made the Hobbit look wierd as fuck, it also made the 3D stunningly clear but was applied to the entire movie resulting in some very daytime soap drama looking scenes, thankfully for A2 Cameron only applies it for certain scenes, i.e. everything underwater is HFR, action scenes are HFR and where characters are simply talking or moving around he sticks to 24 which imo sounds like a perfect balance

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Jon Landau confirmed the big time jump in Avatar 4, saying they filmed the first act already as they had to film the kids when they were young before the story flashes forward many years.

Jon Landau confirmed the big time jump in Avatar 4, saying they filmed the first act already as they had to film the kids when they were young before the story flashes forward many years.

Man I really want to see 4.

I hope 2 and 3 are successful enough to warrant doing 4 and 5 if possible.

Oh well tomorrow night 6pm it's on for Way Of Water 💙💙💙

FYI - some IMAX digital screens with Christie Xenon projectors are getting the HFR version. Contact your local cinema if you're not sure.

jason10mm

Gold Member
crush the MCU
Alas, A2 making 3 billion at the BO will just give Disney more money to funnel into projects they know might have limited audience appeal.

I can't wait for the mid credits scene when Capt Marvel shows up on Pandora to ask for directions to Kylo Ren's funeral with the pantsuit for Rey that was made by Minnie Mouse.

SYNERGY!!!!!! :p

Just as i expected. I'll probably leave this movie wanting the next one, which didn't happen with the first movie.
I have a feeling this movie will be the "calm before the storm" that the next few films will be and end with a cliffhanger or something huge for us to come back for the 3rd one. Probably.

Tickets bought for next friday already anway.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Alas, A2 making 3 billion at the BO will just give Disney more money to funnel into projects they know might have limited audience appeal.

I can't wait for the mid credits scene when Capt Marvel shows up on Pandora to ask for directions to Kylo Ren's funeral with the pantsuit for Rey that was made by Minnie Mouse.

SYNERGY!!!!!! :p

Disney doesn't tell Cameron what to do. The only note they gave him when he showed them the script of Avatar 4 was "HOLY FUCK"

jason10mm

Gold Member
Disney doesn't tell Cameron what to do. The only note they gave him when he showed them the script of Avatar 4 was "HOLY FUCK"
And that would turn into a "Holy Fuck NOOO!" if A2 underperforms yet he keeps asking for more and more money.

I'd like to think all the surplus from A1 was wisely invested and is all he needs to bankroll A2-5 but we all know that ain't how it goes.

And sometimes limitations help the final product. I'm not sure how much Cameron has been held back (other than by the laws of physics and the endurance of his actors) but there are plenty examples of creative excess leading to a messy overindulgence in hollywood, so a few right/left limits can be a good thing.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
My brother took his kids to some 3D viewing around here, he said there were only five or six other people in the theater. It's the largest, busiest theater in our area.

I wonder if people are holding off for the better viewing experiences to become available, such as IMAX. Because all of those showings sold out (I know because I tried to score tickets).

Alcibiades

Just saw it, initial reaction:

Good, not great. Amazing visuals, a few dumb points in the story, but forgiveable. Doesn't have the wonder of the first movie.

My biggest gripe is I saw it in 2D Dolby Cinema and a lot of the film had that soap opera effect that default TV settings have. I may have inadvertently seen a 48fps screening or something.

I don't like 3D either though. Gonna catch a regular screening so I can compare.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Wa Wa Wee Wa
(sorry, nickname me and my kids call Way of the Water, my fault, when I first heard the title all I could think of was Borat saying that)
Anyway.... just watched it in 3D with my daughter, amazing film, watched the first film again recently in 3D for the first time, these films MUST be watched in 3D to fully appreciate them in my opinion. Screw the 'reviewers', its just their opinion anyway.

Top Bottom