• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey |OT| This is Sparta

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anyone know the deal with the freezing every now and again?
Pretty jarring riding along and suddenly it trys to do a matrix scene.

RavageX

Ah ok, I thought maybe my ps4 pro was finally giving up the ghost. It has been having problems loading discs.

But anyhow, I've experienced this same thing.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think I already have it. Is it where you find out your true father and need to find artifacts. Im level 29 and that questline starts at 60 I think
I really can‘t say. I finished the main game a long time ago and the latest DLC only released last Friday, so naturally I already had the level requirement.

TGO

Ah ok, I thought maybe my ps4 pro was finally giving up the ghost. It has been having problems loading discs.

But anyhow, I've experienced this same thing.
I also have this problem especially on travel speed when sailing. Also on pro

On Pro too, how have people missed this and why ain't it fixed yet
Pretty jarring coming from a supposedly buggy and janky 6.5/10 game that I've only had an audio bug with to this 9.2/10 game with consistent freezing with no fix after 6 months.

Zimmy68

I play it all the time on the Pro and it rarely happens. I'm thinking it is more of a streaming memory issue then a bug.
Of course on the One X, it never has the issue.

Not freezing but big stutters,like 30-40 sec and more,it doesn't happen often,but it happened in the new dlc in a specific area,if I'm going out of it, things came back to normal,don't know what's really happening,besides that I see they increased the grind and the consts of materials to upgrade the weapons and gear,and they reduces what you earn,mother fuckers they want people to spend money,glad that I finished the game before all this shit happened.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I just dropped 50 hours into this and beat the main storyline last night. I didn’t see this happen once,

It must be a PlayStation thing.

TGO

I just dropped 50 hours into this and beat the main storyline last night. I didn’t see this happen once,

It must be a PlayStation thing.
On PC too

And there are vids of it on Xbox too.

Last edited:

TGO

I'm playing on PC. I've never seen that happen.
I've never seen that happen either
images

But it exists

I played this latest DLC and man they increased the grind,you get less when disassemble weapons and gear,and you need a lot more now to upgrade things,god damn it,greedy bastards.And I replayed the main story on AC Origins and I like it more than this one

gela94

I enjoy the game I just wish the stories were sometimes a bit more complex but the landscapes are reeeaaallly beautiful. I play on hard and I die alot which can be frustrating especially if you almost finished infiltrating a camp because if you die you start from the beginning. But I wish ubi would just leave the modern stuff behind and just make great game with historical themes.

TitanNut88

Probably not fair because I'm only less than half way through Odyssey but I liked Origins more. Maybe because I love ancient Egypt. Odyssey is a bit more polished overall (some bugs are hilarious in both games, though). Amazing graphics on the X.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Probably not fair because I'm only less than half way through Odyssey but I liked Origins more. Maybe because I love ancient Egypt. Odyssey is a bit more polished overall (some bugs are hilarious in both games, though). Amazing graphics on the X.
Origins is better for that reason. Egypt is a much better built world and has much more memorable locations.

cormack12

Gold Member
Okay, last night the grind part of the game finally hit home. I need 15,000 gold to progress the story. No thanks.

Haha is that the Xenia mission? ProTip: go the vendor and sell all your trinkets. They're not really needed and you'll probably get the cash you need. Each side mission she mentioned nets you 1800 drachmae too

Haha is that the Xenia mission? ProTip: go the vendor and sell all your trinkets. They're not really needed and you'll probably get the cash you need. Each side mission she mentioned nets you 1800 drachmae too
I think so. I have to pay this Pirate chick for info on my mother.

Lanrutcon

15,000 gold? Chump change. I sell a random blue bow and get 2k gold. I upgraded my ship fully, bought a few level X engravings and I'm back to million gold again.

Everything scales as you progress: get some levels. The economy falls apart (in your favor) at higher levels.

I wish I hadn't put this one down for months. I need to go back to it, but worry I'm going to be lost or shitty at it now. I put 15 or 20 hours in when it came out, but haven't touched it since because of life and other things. Now there's a shitload of DLC too.

Going to have to dedicate a couple weeks to it this summer, so I can finish it up and free up some space once all the DLC is out.

I'm the opposite. I liked Origins a lot, but prefer Odyssey. The world is more interesting and lively, and the game is simply better made. But hey, I get why you would prefer Origins and you're entitled to.

I went back to finish Origins' DLC after playing a lot of Odyssey, and the difference was pretty obvious. There's a lot more polish in Odyssey and it just plays better.

Finally finished it on Monday, 130 hrs :/. Lvl 58. Tried to explore and do everything but in the end just focused on main quests. Game became too long.

Lanrutcon

New DLC is out and it's absolutely stunning. Can't post screenies from work, but it's fantastic.

Also, I get to kill some of the assholes I killed already! Looking forward to some of the dialogue. If at least one of them doesn't complain about me chasing them into the afterlife, I'll be disappointed.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
New DLC is out and it's absolutely stunning. Can't post screenies from work, but it's fantastic.

Also, I get to kill some of the assholes I killed already! Looking forward to some of the dialogue. If at least one of them doesn't complain about me chasing them into the afterlife, I'll be disappointed.
Does the new DLC add antother whole new area like the first Atlantis DLC or do you only revisit the area of Episode 1?

Lanrutcon

Does the new DLC add antother whole new area like the first Atlantis DLC or do you only revisit the area of Episode 1?

Brand new area, new gimmick, new ability upgades, bunch of new ability points, new enemies.

New gimmick is:
Some of the enemies are in spirit form, and you have to go into a similar form to fight them via a portal. But each set of spirits is attached to one portal, and you can only go through one at a time. So a fort would have multiple portals, each set of spirit enemies patrolling around assigned to a specific portal...so you can't just gank everyone anymore. You gotta plan which portal to activate, get to it, then gank the portal's spirits which you can now attack.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Great, I have completed all missions in 1 and 2 episode. I will finish Shadow of War (it's quite great) and Yakuza 0 by this time.

I'm the last person to sing the praises of Assassin's Creed but, Odyssey is brilliant.

If you have an Xbox One X or mid-tier PC, definitely give it a shot. It's visually brilliant at times. And I really liked the combat, story and RPG elements. Highly recommended.

FQYQW6a.gif

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I'm the last person to sing the praises of Assassin's Creed but, Odyssey is brilliant.

If you have an Xbox One X or mid-tier PC, definitely give it a shot. It's visually brilliant at times. And I really liked the combat, story and RPG elements. Highly recommended.

FQYQW6a.gif
I legitimately found myself in awe more then a few times when I equipped new armour and saw how great it looked in the cutscenes.

It’s one of the best games I’ve played this gen.

Unity2012

Origins and Odyssey are two of my all time favorite games. The worlds are vast, interesting, plenty of stuff to do and beautiful to look at; I also love the characters.

I've never felt bored or too repetitive because I like pacing myself. These are games I come back over and over and fell engaged every time. Sometimes I feel Ubisoft does not get enough credit for the amount of value and quality they provide to us gamers. I hope they continue this trend and continue to improve the franchise.

The DLC for Odyssey has been a rocky road.

On one hand the Legacy of the first Blade storyline was not hitting it with me. I really did not like it, nor any of the new characters. The voice acting and cinematics took a major hit, and it felt like Naruto filler tier 3. Mr. Postman episode in level of quality.

On the other hand, Fate of Atlantis is insanely good. This is Assassins Creed going Darksiders on us. This is Assassins Creed embracing its Mythology, the supernatural. It goes beyond bespoke "alternate history" and goes all ham.

I think Episode 1 had worse gameplay (traversal) but probably felt more like a grand story than episode 2. But the highs of Episode 2 was awesome.
Hades is fucking awesome. Great character. I loved seeing Phoibe again, I loved seeing Stentor again (and hulling him out over a cliff), I loved seeing Brasidas again. It made sense to see these characters again, because you are literally in hell. The Ferryman Charon was really great too.

What disappointed me about Episode 2 was the depiction of Hercules, Achilles, Perseus and Agamemnon. They do nothing. They should have been central characters. But they were just not used at all. Such a goddamn shame. At least they should have the same sort of part as Leonidas had in Episode 1.
Besides these things, I was very impressed with Fate of Atlantis. Hopefully the final DLC will be good. Then its time for me to retire ACO.

I think Fate of Atlantis, shows us that the Viking Assassins Creed, should go all in on the supernatural elements of Norse Mythology. Maybe 50% of it (or more) should be set in the different realms besides Middle-Earth (the realm of men) Like:

• Asgard – Realm of the Aesir, joined to Midgard by the rainbow bridge Bifrost
  • Alfheim – Realm of the Elves
  • Hel – Realm of those who died of illness or old age and then of most people
  • Jotunheim – Realm of the Giants and Frost Giants
  • Midgard – Realm of the Humans between Asgard and Jotunheim
  • Muspelheim – Realm of Fire, the fire-giant Surtr, and Surtr’s forces of chaos
  • Nidavellir/Svartalfheim – Realm of the Dwarves beneath the earth
  • Niflheim – Realm of Ice, Snow, and Mist near Muspelheim
  • Vanaheim – Realm of the Vanir

From this article; https://www.ancient.eu/article/1305/nine-realms-of-norse-cosmology/

I think, Asassins Creed is better at the fantastical and unrealistic than trying to weigh the historical actual characters. And I think its easier for them to make a compelling story and characters by going this route. The best parts of Odysseys main campaign was also the stuff that involved mythology. Where as the historical characters like Socrates, Perikles and others where sort of boring almost. The main story of Alexios also stumbled with Deimos. And the whole story of Legacy of the First Blade, was just not well acted, written or voiced.

So I hope the AC teams take note.

Kagey K

Banned
The DLC for Odyssey has been a rocky road.

On one hand the Legacy of the first Blade storyline was not hitting it with me. I really did not like it, nor any of the new characters. The voice acting and cinematics took a major hit, and it felt like Naruto filler tier 3. Mr. Postman episode in level of quality.

On the other hand, Fate of Atlantis is insanely good. This is Assassins Creed going Darksiders on us. This is Assassins Creed embracing its Mythology, the supernatural. It goes beyond bespoke "alternate history" and goes all ham.

I think Episode 1 had worse gameplay (traversal) but probably felt more like a grand story than episode 2. But the highs of Episode 2 was awesome.
Hades is fucking awesome. Great character. I loved seeing Phoibe again, I loved seeing Stentor again (and hulling him out over a cliff), I loved seeing Brasidas again. It made sense to see these characters again, because you are literally in hell. The Ferryman Charon was really great too.

What disappointed me about Episode 2 was the depiction of Hercules, Achilles, Perseus and Agamemnon. They do nothing. They should have been central characters. But they were just not used at all. Such a goddamn shame. At least they should have the same sort of part as Leonidas had in Episode 1.
Besides these things, I was very impressed with Fate of Atlantis. Hopefully the final DLC will be good. Then its time for me to retire ACO.

I think Fate of Atlantis, shows us that the Viking Assassins Creed, should go all in on the supernatural elements of Norse Mythology. Maybe 50% of it (or more) should be set in the different realms besides Middle-Earth (the realm of men) Like:

• Asgard – Realm of the Aesir, joined to Midgard by the rainbow bridge Bifrost
  • Alfheim – Realm of the Elves
  • Hel – Realm of those who died of illness or old age and then of most people
  • Jotunheim – Realm of the Giants and Frost Giants
  • Midgard – Realm of the Humans between Asgard and Jotunheim
  • Muspelheim – Realm of Fire, the fire-giant Surtr, and Surtr’s forces of chaos
  • Nidavellir/Svartalfheim – Realm of the Dwarves beneath the earth
  • Niflheim – Realm of Ice, Snow, and Mist near Muspelheim
  • Vanaheim – Realm of the Vanir

From this article; https://www.ancient.eu/article/1305/nine-realms-of-norse-cosmology/

I think, Asassins Creed is better at the fantastical and unrealistic than trying to weigh the historical actual characters. And I think its easier for them to make a compelling story and characters by going this route. The best parts of Odysseys main campaign was also the stuff that involved mythology. Where as the historical characters like Socrates, Perikles and others where sort of boring almost. The main story of Alexios also stumbled with Deimos. And the whole story of Legacy of the First Blade, was just not well acted, written or voiced.

So I hope the AC teams take note.
I’m hoping that’s what Gods and Monsters is.

I hope it feels and plays like Odyssey but goes full bore into the mythical part of Ancient Greece.

I agree that that’s where it really shines.

scalman

its good game still but sometimes i got those thoughts that i liked something better in Origins and fights i liked in Unity not this rpg kinda style with levels, really its just makes all so simple and easy for me at least. fights are not as cool and satisfying as in Unity it felt there more analog and real. if you play stealth its just walk in the park i go and kill just anyone i want that its not way over my lvl there is . but i miss those more interesting buildings , streets and places in Origins .

Top Bottom