• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey |OT| This is Sparta

Neolombax

I play Odyssey in short bursts at a time. I'll commit to it for a day or two to finish a questline or explore a region, and then play another game. It games samey after a while, thats when I stop. It's still a fun game though. There's definitely a sense of progression, the character get more powerful with each playtime, whether you upgrade your avatar or the ship. There's always something to chase. It's a good game, better than Origins for me.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I "finished" yesterday.

Overall a fun game, but the story was a mess and there was too much content, much of it just fetch quests.

Good stuff:
  • Graphics and attention to detail
  • New skill tree
  • The Nem.. the mercenary system.
  • The idea of the hidden cult members, though there were too many.
  • The armor sets and legendary stuff in general. Though nothing was truly unique.
  • I liked the epic side quests to seal the you know what, though the motivation was missing.
  • You can respect all you want to try different play styles, all RPGs should have this.
Bad stuff:
  • Characters were forgettable, including the main ones.
  • Story was a mess, just too much stuff and was not relate-able or interesting.
  • Too many quests were go here get this, or go kill this guy.
  • The three skills trees were not balanced. Warrior is much harder to pull off than Hunter. Never went full assassin.
  • The game was too long, and had too much stuff. It could be trimmed down for focus.
  • I never knew what side I was on and knocking over regions was without motivation.
  • Naval battle stuff was just ok, I would have liked a fast mode sailing option.
  • The tie in with the present was LoL worthy, no idea what was going on despite finishing Origins.
  • The idea of the main char being a woman is far from historically accurate or even in the realm of believable. One quest line was a woman being put to death for sneaking a peak at the Olympics, yet my Kassandra won the Olympics without anyone mentioning it. I see why they let the player choose gender, but it really does not fit 500BCE era settings.

Origins was by far the superior game. The main char was interesting, his story was focused and human. The world of Egypt was more interesting and varied. The combat was more varied (we had fire bombs, beserk darts, etc.). While the skill tree was a mess, it had more interesting and useful stuff.

Origins 9/20
Odyssey 8/10

Now for some spoiler questions...

Why did Kassandra (I played her) hang out for 2500 years to hand the staff to the other present day woman? How did she buy and put on a pant suit without letting go of the staff? What was the point in handing off the staff, what did that woman do with it? Why was Atlantis even in the game? I did not kill all the cult members past Demios, so who is the guy in the middle and is there a point in killing them all other being a completionist?

Last edited:
50263489_1143544882471rjfi.png

This is the most stupid complaint that I ever heard,they have an idea that will be explained in the next DLC,but nooooo ,creativity should go out the fucking window cause some guy is upset that his character its not too gay,in those periods of time nothing was restricted when it came to sex,if a guy was doing with another guy didn't meant he wasn't into girls,sheeesh

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I "finished" yesterday.

Overall a fun game, but the story was a mess and there was too much content, much of it just fetch quests.
[/spoiler]
This is every Ubisoft game. That's why I can't play them anymore.

Those idiots complaining about the DLC are flatout lying. The game doesn't give you the option to be homosexual but to have sex with whoever you like. If it were a true RPG, which is not, the sexual options would be shut off after you choose having sex with somebody of your gender.

On top of that, those braindead people fail to realize that the whole AC saga is based on genetic lines, and those are only possible with reproduction.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yes, typically "growing up" is the phrase attached to STARTING YOUR OWN FAMILY rather than being the product of your parent's families. producing an offspring is the closest thing we have to delineating an objective line between child and adult. children don't have offspring. that's a thing you do when you are grown up. when you have your own family, you have responsibility for that family, you are growing up. growing up is about responsibility towards the future.

none of which has anything to do with being gay or not being gay. in fact, as has been pointed out, there have been many gay people through history that did exactly this. how do we know? because they had children, they passed on their lineage. because they aren't lost to time as a one off person whose family line died out hundreds of years ago.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
They are "offended" that having a child is associated with being an adult? Maybe Ubisoft should have included an abortion option to be more inclusive.

Raven117

I like it, but I don't find it as interesting as Origins. I also think its just too grindy. And stop with the "you aren't playing the game right." AC has never been about the side quests...In this, most (not all) are simple mind numbing fetch quests to get to a higher level to continue the journey. Considering the game is as lengthy as it is, this gets old real fast. Its not just do a few side quests either. You have to do basically all of them to be properly leveled.

Hell, I even bought the XP booster because I just needed to get the damn thing moving. And the enemies are damn bullet sponges. Ugh.

Again, I like it, but its not as good as Origins or Black Flag.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Why is it these companies are more than willing to annoy their normal huge fanbase in favour of placating the tiny, insignificant nutters? It blows my mind.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
How about they just focus on a single cohesive story line instead of needless "decisions" that are ultimately pointless? I really hope they retcon this game as it was truly one of the worst in the AC franchise from a story/world-building PoV.

sertopico

A random comment from a 25 long thread regarding this bullshit from the AC Forums.

commentl0ka8.jpg

He's really going through an existential crysis.

Last edited:
How arrogant and pigheaded you need to be as to claim that a company that makes products for millions of different people has to give you a special treatment, and when they indeed do, you shit on them.

And you can tell these people, the whiners, don't give a fuck about videogames (5 posts, lol, he registered just to add toxicity). I mean, someone who is dissing a great videogame just because it doesnt fit his ideological agenda has a problem in the head and is clear as daylight he is no good to the videogames industry.

Komatsu

This is the first AC game I have spent more than 10 hours with and I am loving it so far, though I can't play it for extended periods of time since the gameplay does get repetitive. Maps are gorgeous, the setting is nice and it's a huge improvement over how grindy Origins was, but the microtransactions (the "double xp" gambit, for which you gotta pay $10, is pretty much mandatory if you're a working adult not willing to sink 200h into the game) are incredibly annoying. I'm about 60hs in and haven't finished it yet, though will probably do so sometime this week.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
What can I do with lower level gold / legendary armour and weapons? I can’t sell it or break it down so is all I can do is store it in the chest on my ship?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I... really hated this DLC. Continued retcons, blatant misunderstanding of history that even a gradeschooler wouldn't misunderstand, and why the fuck is Darius who he is? Jesus.

I think this video best explains my issues:

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm about 12 hours in so far. It's a bit of a shift from Origins, which I loved. I'm still in the stage of trying to get to grips with this. It seems good but I'm not convinced the fork in direction and feel is something personally want to see. I'd prefer to continue in the vein and style of Origins. Hopefully vikings goes back to a bit more grounded and shields etc. And not make assassination attempts depend on levelling up a tree.

Lanrutcon

My game save is at about 140 hours now. Completed the world map, main quest (almost perfect ending, I believe I could have saved one more person), all cultists, all mythic beasties, all sets, all sidequests barring 1, all engravings barring 1 (the conquest one, I need more seals on the Athenian side). Ended near level 70, second last mercenary rank. What a game. Holy shit. Everything I wanted from an open world rpg with stealth mechanics.

I'm about 12 hours in so far. It's a bit of a shift from Origins, which I loved. I'm still in the stage of trying to get to grips with this. It seems good but I'm not convinced the fork in direction and feel is something personally want to see. I'd prefer to continue in the vein and style of Origins. Hopefully vikings goes back to a bit more grounded and shields etc. And not make assassination attempts depend on levelling up a tree.

As long the increased RPG mechanics stay, you won't get automatic 1 shot assassination attempts back. Besides, I spent most of the game 1 shotting things anyway. Just equip Assassination gear, be smart with your Mastery ranks, you know. Build your character with synergy in mind like you're playing any other rpg. I think it's even easier to build a Predator Hunter build and headshot things.

Mista

Banned
The only game in my backlog. I feel that I’m burned out. Especially after completing Origins 100%

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
For everyone disappointment with the level design of Odyseey: Get Fate of Atlantis. That Origins level of amazingness. God damn... Ubisoft‘s wizards are back.

Cranberrys

Does this game ever end, I'm 120hrs in and feels like only about 70% completion :messenger_neutral:

I'm 355h in :messenger_beaming:

And I'm finishing Ep 3 of the first DLC. Now I did absolute 100% of the game and never use fast travels but Origins took me 286h DLC included and I played it in the same conditions (no fast travel and 100% on everything), Odyssey is bigger. With the 3 episodes of Atlantis, I'm expecting that game to last me at least 400-420 hours. Not bad for the 110€ I payed for Ultimate Edition at launch.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm about 40 hours in and only have about 30% of the map uncovered according to Ubisoft SAM :eek: I still much prefer Origins to Odyssey, I think the tightness has suffered loads from the branching questlines and sub plots. They get fractured and lose their impact. Honestly, I would have been happy with Deimos and the cult without all the Myrrine, Nikolaos and fleet side tasks. The bounty hunters plus the mercenaries all seems a bit too much as well. Also the environment is very juddery, stop/start due to getting caught on some rocks at heights you'd expect to auto continue etc. There are way more forts in Odyssey and the balance of drawing soldiers is off for those wanting to assassin silently. There's also no effort to hide the copy/paste nature in the game, at least in Origins most were grafted into the world a little more seamlessly.

The controls feel worse/clunkier than in Origins. Sticking a crit on a button hold while behind someone is stupid. Use an L1/L2 + triangle for example. The equipping torches to burn war supplies was tedious as well.

I've grown accustomed to the skill trees. I still think they're a bit superfluous. Putting ping on a skill then locking some behind advancing the spear as well. I think Origins didn't rely so heavily on perks providing essential crits, and I don't like splitting damage as +% on clothes and items. Having loadouts but being limited by archetype skill tress seems to be at odds with the design. I also preferred playing both protags like Evie/Jacob than splitting the way Odyssey did.

Beautiful game but I wonder if those that love Odyssey played Origins. Even the sidequests in Origins to me were more memorable and the world including thing like the circle stones was just more cohesive. Compring the impact of Phoibe to Shadya is a perfect example to how much more invested in Origins lore and world I was. Anyway, still enjoying it largely - I just feel as a stepping stone from Origins to where Ubi want to get with a more RPG-like experience, this gets the balance between action, progression and engagement a little wrong.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Beautiful game but I wonder if those that love Odyssey played Origins. Even the sidequests in Origins to me were more memorable and the world including thing like the circle stones was just more cohesive. Compring the impact of Phoibe to Shadya is a perfect example to how much more invested in Origins lore and world I was. Anyway, still enjoying it largely - I just feel as a stepping stone from Origins to where Ubi want to get with a more RPG-like experience, this gets the balance between action, progression and engagement a little wrong.
As written above... Get Fate of Atlantis after your done with the main game. That is not only one of the best AddOns I've ever played (on par with Old Hunters from Bloodborne) but feels like it was made from the same team like Origins, where Odyseey was another group of people. Whereas Odyseey's game world, although huge, feels like it's out of the editor, Fate of Atlantis is MUCH smaller but every part of it is unique and memorable. Quests are leagues better as well...

For me Fate of Atlantis is the true sequel to Origins. MAKE SURE TO PLAY IT once you're done with the main game!

cormack12

Gold Member
I think I already have it. Is it where you find out your true father and need to find artifacts. Im level 29 and that questline starts at 60 I think

Top Bottom