• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey |OT| This is Sparta

Exentryk

uwH592s.jpg

Game: Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Genre: Action role-playing, stealth
Platforms: PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch (JP only)
Release date: Oct 5, 2018

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a 2018 action role-playing video game developed by Ubisoft Quebec and published by Ubisoft. It is the eleventh major installment, and twentieth overall, in the Assassin's Creed series and the successor to 2017's Assassin's Creed Origins. Set in the year 431 BC, the plot tells a fictional history of the Peloponnesian War between Athens and Sparta. Players control a male or female mercenary (Ancient Greek: μίσθιος misthios) who fights for both sides as they attempt to unite their family and uncover a malign cult.

Editions:

y9RVvt3.png

Season Pass:

ac_odyssey_seasonpass_thumbnail_334781.jpg

Launch Trailer:

Begin Your Journey:

HbeJt1c.jpg

Vawn

Banned
I'm playing this. Closing in on platinum.

It's pretty good, but, a bit jarring coming off of Red Dead Redemption 2 and it feels a step back from Origins

Exentryk

I'm playing this. Closing in on platinum.

It's pretty good, but, a bit jarring coming off of Red Dead Redemption 2 and it feels a step back from Origins
In terms of the story, yeah, it does feel a step back from Origins. However everything else seems better. The combat, the skills, location variety, exploration mode, HUD options, quests, etc.

Also, I absolutely love the traversal in these games. Everything is so smooth and quick!

pFbWmBW.gif

Vawn

Banned
In terms of the story, yeah, it does feel a step back from Origins. However everything else seems better. The combat, the skills, location variety, exploration mode, HUD options, quests, etc.

Also, I absolutely love the traversal in these games. Everything is so smooth and quick!

pFbWmBW.gif

I agree that it plays better. Especially just the moment to moment movement. I also appreciate the fact my horse doesn't constantly run head-on into trees

The story really bothered me, especially at the beginning. I could not get a feel for my motivation for anything I did. I was constantly killing people who didn't deserve it or I shouldn't have an issue with.

It's like I was kind of a good guy, but at the same time I'd kill anyone for a tiny bit of money.

It was also strange being getting an entire crew of men dedicating their lives to go sailing across the world with me for no real apparent reason. I don't remember Origins or Black Flag feeling quite as absurd, but maybe RDR's world just spoiled me.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Beautiful looking game with a huge world to explore, fun gameplay, and an interesting setting. Sadly that setting was altered and changed to push a particular agenda, the world seemed empty and not worth exploring for much of it, and that story was horrendous.

Spoilers are in the video, but it perfectly explains my issues with the game.

Vawn

Banned
Beautiful looking game with a huge world to explore, fun gameplay, and an interesting setting. Sadly that setting was altered and changed to push a particular agenda, the world seemed empty and not worth exploring for much of it, and that story was horrendous.

Yes it's amazing Ubisoft felt the need to alter stuff that happened thousands of years ago to align with their 2018 left-wing beliefs.

Its especially jarring playing as Kassandra. In my 70 hours she never had anyone so much as comment on her gender, even when

competing in the Olympics - something no woman would do for hundreds more years.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a single person that isn't bisexual.

Last edited:

Zewp

Yes it's amazing Ubisoft felt the need to alter stuff that happened thousands of years ago to align with their 2018 left-wing beliefs.

Its especially jarring playing as Kassandra. In my 70 hours she never had anyone so much as comment on her gender, even when

competing in the Olympics - something no woman would do for hundreds more years.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a single person that isn't bisexual.

Oh god. Here we go. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Fbh

Currently playing this and as someone who has come to really dislike Ubisoft games and their formula over the years I have to say... this is pretty fun.
I didn't play origins so maybe that's a factor but I like how this seems more inspired by stuff like The Witcher 3 as opposed to the generic Ubisoft formula. I specially like how there's actual sidequests now as opposed to just "activities", and some of them have been really good with their own interesting characters and choices and I appreciate how in some quests going for the generic "good guy" choice doesn't always end in a good outcome. Combat and Stealth are also vastly improved over the last one I played (syndicate) and I'm enjoying the greater focus on RPG styled gear.

I wasn't expecting this but it has solved most of my issues with Ubisoft design and actually has me excited for the future of the franchise.
The one area where it still kinda sucks is the story. I'm 20 hours in and while I've enjoyed some of the substories introduced in sidequests the main story is really bland (so far), at no point have I been excited to see what happens next and , to be honest, at this point the larger Assassins Creed lore just feels like it's getting in the way. The overall writing is also bland, some characters act in ways that feel unnatural or just don't make sense to me and several scenes that I think should be dramatic or serious just come across as silly.
With that said, at least the dialog choice options make for better character interactions

Yeah I'm playing as Kassandra too (main reason is the voice acting of Alexios is REALLY bad IMO) and I really like her, but while I don't mind twisting reality for this type of game I do find it weird how literally no one ever remarks on my gender. I can understand making your allies unrealistically progressive and I don't really care, but not even the bad guys have something to say about it?

Last edited:
I think the map is too big for its own good. The romance and dialogue options are an unnecessary addition.
And the fact that the characters are interchangeable mean none of them have enough personality.
I was hating combat up until i respecd my kassandra into a heavy stealth, basic combat, basic archery character. She was full warrior before and combat was boring.

I think origins is a better game. I really enjoyed Bayek's journey.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
For me personally this is the worst AC I have ever played. I just can't shake the feeling that this was an extreme rush job from Ubisoft. I've never had so many crashes and bugs in an AC games.

Usually the game world itself, as a history geek, is for me the most important thing in an AC game. Origins was just a bloody marvel in that regard. I spent hours just checking out the sites and marvel at the game world. Odyseey on the other hand is so disappointing to me, I can't even begin to express. Everything has such a copy & paste feel to it. There are hardly and significant sites to check out. The map is clustered with forts and camps where you have to do the same shit over and over again. Most of the quests are absolutely run of the mill and forgettable. Origins on the other hand had so many quests involving current historical events and mythology. Loved that sooo much. The whole arena quest is such a joke compared to Origins. And so on, and so on...

Now there is still some good stuff in there (namely the hunt for the cult members and some of the boss fights) but overall, as a huge AC fan, I'm incredibly disappointed with this one. No way in hell Ubisoft put as much effort in this game as they did in Origins.

RPGCrazied

It was pretty good. Wish it ran a little better on consoles. I played Alexios, still haven't done the epilogue though.

The world design is bad. It's too cluttered. Origins feels more natural. Egypt feels like an actual place but Greece feels like a video game world. It's the potato design Vavra was talking about.The pace is a mess. I abandoned it after 20 hours.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Odyssey is my second best game of 2018 behind only God of War. Gorgeous game with great music, sound and voice acting. Excellent gameplay and a great story and characters. Easily prefer Odyssey over Origins overall as Origins story was rushed and fell apart the last few missions. Both games are a 9/10 for me and for different reasons.

I bought the Gold Edition so I have the season pass but will wait until both expansions are complete as I hate episodic garbage. Can't wait to see what Ashraf Ismail (Origins/Black Flag) and his team does with AC in 2020.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I beat the main storyline in around 45 hours. I still need to go back and do the other storylines. I really enjoyed my time with the game and found it a lot of fun. I will probably wait for a few more of the free DLC patches to hit before jumping back in.

I bought this during the black Friday sales. Still to play it, though, as I'm in the middle of Dragon Quest 11. Kind of reluctant to go from one one hundred hour game to another, so I'll probably play something else in between. Maybe Ashen.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
They‘re right though. The games avoids offening anyone so much, it‘s borderline comical. Feel pety for the devs. Creating a game like this must br like walking through a minefield.

At the same time, it seems a bit asinine to complain about historical accuracy for issues of gender equality and sexuality in a game that treats Greek myths as if they were real... you know, on top of the whole "secret society of assassins" thing.

wvnative

I felt it was a downgrade of Origins. Bayak felt more responsive, parkour felt less janky, and Odyssey is made to condescend your time. Enemy health is massively inflated, the wanted mercenary system has no place in an AC game and you can't do anything without getting a wanted level even in self defense. Stealth is no longer viable. (At least in Origins, upgrading the hidden blade was really easy to do, and stealth as a whole was more viable even if you didn't max the blade out. Also custom outfits)

Even things like hit feedback felt more weighty and punchy in origins. Absolutely baffles me how this game was better received. Witcher style choices are neat but I have always preferred a linear story in games.

Make no mistake, it's a well made game and I did have some fun with it, but everything just felt...bigger and more time consuming with a lack of focus. I liken it to Banjo-Kazooie VS Banjo-Tooie

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
At the same time, it seems a bit asinine to complain about historical accuracy for issues of gender equality and sexuality in a game that treats Greek myths as if they were real... you know, on top of the whole "secret society of assassins" thing.

The previous games tried their best (with some misses) on creating an authentic experience based on historical truths. This game doesn't even attempt to do so. This is a dealbreaker for a number of fans. Just because you don't think the same doesn't mean that they don't have a valid reason to show their discontent.

Last edited:

Aurelian

The previous games tried their best (with some misses) on creating an authentic experience based on historical truths. This game doesn't even attempt to do so. This is a dealbreaker for a number of fans. Just because you don't think the same doesn't mean that they don't have a valid reason to show their discontent.

I don't think you understand. Yes, I know earlier Assassin's Creed games hewed to a semi-realistic vision of things. I'm just pointing out that many guys are mysteriously more upset about the representations of gender and sexuality than they are about the presence of Greek gods and unicorns. It's almost as if they're not actually concerned about realism...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't think you understand. Yes, I know earlier Assassin's Creed games hewed to a semi-realistic vision of things. I'm just pointing out that many guys are mysteriously more upset about the representations of gender and sexuality than they are about the presence of Greek gods and unicorns. It's almost as if they're not actually concerned about realism...

Those greek gods and "unicorns" you can either go the entire game without ever seeing them or they add up to a very tiny portion of the title as a whole. They are also properly explained in the game using the game's mechanics/setting/lore.

The inclusive revisionism is thrown at your face every time you speak to an NPC, every time you walk through a town or go through a fort. Almost every NPC you speak to, the actual story itself and how they explain the historical aspects such as the Aspasia or the athenian vs spartan war.

Last edited:

Aurelian

Those greek gods and "unicorns" you can either go the entire game without ever seeing them or they add up to a very tiny portion of the title as a whole. They are also properly explained in the game using the game's mechanics/setting/lore.

The inclusive revisionism is thrown at your face every time you speak to an NPC, every time you walk through a town or go through a fort. Almost every NPC you speak to, the actual story itself and how they explain the historical aspects such as the Aspasia or the athenian vs spartan war.

They're still there, and it's hilarious to watch you bend over backwards to defend their presence. "Well actually, these mythological elements in an otherwise realism-oriented series are explained in the context of..." I see someone trying to rationalize his irrational position.

If you actually think a lack of realism is the problem, then the mythological elements are a problem, too. No exceptions, no excuses. They may be minor elements, but you don't go out of your way to explain why they're acceptable while the presences of strong women and LGBT people in the narrative are somehow unforgivable errors. It's a video game about a hidden society of assassins set in a clearly exaggerated version of Greece... if authenticity was what you really wanted, you wouldn't have touched the game regardless of its inclusiveness.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They're still there, and it's hilarious to watch you bend over backwards to defend their presence. "Well actually, these mythological elements in an otherwise realism-oriented series are explained in the context of..." I see someone trying to rationalize his irrational position.

If you actually think a lack of realism is the problem, then the mythological elements are a problem, too. No exceptions, no excuses. They may be minor elements, but you don't go out of your way to explain why they're acceptable while the presences of strong women and LGBT people in the narrative are somehow unforgivable errors. It's a video game about a hidden society of assassins set in a clearly exaggerated version of Greece... if authenticity was what you really wanted, you wouldn't have touched the game regardless of its inclusiveness.

I never stated that they weren't there, nor am I "going out of my way" or "bending over backwards" to explain them (you shouldn't project so much, mate). I also never stated that I didn't have an issue with them. I am stating that they are not what you see throughout most of the adventure when compared to the inclusive revisionism which takes center stage. End of. That makes a major difference for many fans of the series.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Game of the Year for me, got me out of a gaming slump, 90 hours on my final save. Gorgeous world, great NPCs, great systems.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
I started this game around launch and completed it few days ago (had a long break when I played RDR and SOTTR), with the best family ending and Atlantis ending. Alexios is great character, i was annoyed by his VA at first but his performance is actually very good. I reached level 49, killed all cosmos members and did most of side quest (including hunts), game is very fun on hard. Quests are clearly inspired by W3 and that's a very good thing including moral choices and interesting chcaracters. There are flaws of course like most greeks looking like arabs/indians and some SJW crap but I had too much fun with the game to give a crap.
As I mentioned, I played some RDR2 in meantime and return to 50fps+ (G sync) ACO with user friendly game system was magnificent.

Now I return for DLC :)

Last edited:

Alebrije

I am level 58 , any recomendation to get the faster way to do the fastest leveling? it takes like a day of playing(3-4) hours just to upgrade 1 level , aim doinfg lots of side missions and already killed the Arena contenders, Killed all the cultist , ended main story and currently just wandering killing mercenaries.

for the people still not jumping :

You need to farm wood like crazy and takes some time to get all the ship improvements but since the gameplay its fun you do not get bored. its not a game for people that do not want to spend time exploring and farming.

Y applaud the fantasy turn UBI has done to the series , sorry for the base fans but AC needed this improvement. Its a nice RPG now , betther than some old names like FF VX .

Play it on HARD and Exploring option. its the best way to enjoy it. There is only one "boss" that could gve you nighmares , lets called it "Poison Pumba"

Explore , climb there is always something to do and the options are great once you unlock the habilities. Now the armor has stats itns not just a cosmetic option ,I personally wear the best poison armor/weapon avaliable its great to kill wild animals and regular foes.

Visually its beautiful , one of the best sea waves of the generation , nice color combination ( flowers , forest , rocks, terrain).

The game has one main story but 2/3 secondary ones that are interesting and ad more substance to the main one, then there are a lot of local side missions on very region and finally tons of basic missions or task tha give you XP/money you do not need to do them but they are very short that sometimes take few seconds to comple them , at the same time they feel supid like "deliver this item to my husband" and the husband its just like 100 meters away but its easy XM/money after all.

its an RPG , takes time , enemy leveling its always challenge you upgrade they upgrade but the key to really improve over your enemies is the habilities you choose to use and the kind of armor /weapon you master. By example you are level 45 and your enemy its 45 or 46 you can kill it easily if you wear a fire mastered weapon plus armor set. Te key to feel you are becoming stronger its to use the habilities and equipment.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
A bit late but definitely needed. I sold my copy of RDR2 in order to buy this and I don't regret it at all. 115 hours into the game so far and only 50% of the story and environments explored. It's a huge game with lots to do. Buy it.

Virex

Banned
A bit late but definitely needed. I sold my copy of RDR2 in order to buy this and I don't regret it at all. 115 hours into the game so far and only 50% of the story and environments explored. It's a huge game with lots to do. Buy it.

Odyssey is my biggest surprise of the year. Wasn’t planning on picking it up. But I had some cash to burn and I bought it. It’s really good

Zewp

I still need to come back to it and finish it up. After RDR2 I don't really want to get sucked into another huge game again right now. I thought I might wait until January or so and then jump back in to finish it.

Cranberrys

Odyssey is my second best game of 2018 behind only God of War. Gorgeous game with great music, sound and voice acting. Excellent gameplay and a great story and characters. Easily prefer Odyssey over Origins overall as Origins story was rushed and fell apart the last few missions. Both games are a 9/10 for me and for different reasons.

I bought the Gold Edition so I have the season pass but will wait until both expansions are complete as I hate episodic garbage. Can't wait to see what Ashraf Ismail (Origins/Black Flag) and his team does with AC in 2020.

I totally agree even if I really liked Origins story.

Ancient Greece, especially during its golden age, had a very free view of sexuality and in many regards it was far more free than today. Homosexuality was totally admitted, nobody gave a shit about your sexual preferences, women had control over their marriage, both men and women could have lovers outside of their respective marriages without hiding… Sex was even a religious cult celebrated in orgies and it was totally OK by society rules. But then when Christians emerge and later other monotheistic religions, all things went to shit and sex became a taboo so humans could live their lives suffering, submitted to God and hopefully, in the next life maybe they could have a little fun, but not to much.

bilderberg

I think they did themselves a dis-service releasing this game just one year after Origins. I'm still playing through that game, and it's gonna take me years to see and do everything.

Mista

Banned
I stopped playing. I love the game but I feel burned out of AC for now so I’ll keep it for later

RedVIper

Banned

What if I simply don't like that since they had to make 2 main characthers they both end up being shallow and the story suffers from it. I'm I still a misogynist pig then?

bilderberg

Because gender representation is something we can relate to and learn about from the time period. It's easy to suspend disbelief if a fictional story wants to bring in gods and other mystical features, it's harder when we're presented with material grounded in realism that is demonstrably untrue.

If you wanted to create a vampire story set during colonial America, you wouldn't just excuse the absence of slavery because "why are you concerned about realism in your vampire story?"

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I totally agree even if I really liked Origins story.

Ancient Greece, especially during its golden age, had a very free view of sexuality and in many regards it was far more free than today. Homosexuality was totally admitted, nobody gave a shit about your sexual preferences, women had control over their marriage, both men and women could have lovers outside of their respective marriages without hiding… Sex was even a religious cult celebrated in orgies and it was totally OK by society rules. But then when Christians emerge and later other monotheistic religions, all things went to shit and sex became a taboo so humans could live their lives suffering, submitted to God and hopefully, in the next life maybe they could have a little fun, but not to much.

Please rewatch the video, then go read actual Greek philosophers and Greek historians. That is by no means a fact. Women did not have free reign and they were treated *very* differently in Sparta vs Athens.
  • The Aspasia was known as a "hataera", an ancient Greek courtesan or concubine, especially one of a special class of cultivated female companions. They were also a metic, a foreign resident of Athens, one who did not have citizen rights in their Greek city-state of residence.
    • Being what she was, she was free of the legal constraints that normally bound women to their homes in Ancient Athens. Therefore she was able to interact in social gatherings that were normally forbidden for most Athenian women.
  • The vast majority of women were not frontline fighters, rarely would there ever be a women in a skirmish situation. Their roles were to raise children and tend to the household.
  • The Greek World was not as "diverse" as is portrayed in the game. Indo-europeans brought in the language. The Greek people were and still are a mix of those indo-european migrations and older indigenous groups (that were still fair of skin). The Pelasgians were most likely the original indigenous group in the area. They didn't have darker skin tone like Dravidian people found in the southern and eastern ends of Africa.
    • Due to climatological sciences, we know that since the end of the ice age the Mediterraneans did not have high UV levels that would introduce evolutionary pressure to increase melanin levels within the Pelasgians. (A Eruopean Population in Minoan Bronze Age Crete, look it up via Scholar.Google).
  • Spartans were ancient Eugensists who killed any who they thought were "weak". They made clear demarcations between themselves and the other greeks. They did not give them citizenship or equal rights.
  • Ancient Greece had clear issues with race.
    • Xenophanes - "Our gods have flat noses and black skins, say the ethiopians. The Thracians say our gods have red hair and hazel eyes."
    • Aethiopia literally means "The Land of Burnt Faces"
    • Greece once had a huge Empire and ruled over multiple other groups. This lead to those groups speaking Greek - however that does not mean that they were anymore ethnically greek just as Japanese who speak English are British.
    • Hippocrates himself had believed that climate, geography, and location lead to the physical and mental characteristics of people:
      • "Concerning the listlessness and the cowardice of peoples, the seasons are especially the cause why asians are less martial than the europeans and more tame in their character, for making no dramatic shift either to the hot nor to the cold, their seasons are temperate." | "For there are no mental disturbances nor strong change of the body, from which it is more likely that the passion is roused and indulges the senseless and high-spirited rather than when it is in a steady state." | "For it is change of everything which wakes the disposition of men and does not allow it to rest." | " For these aforesaid reasons it seems to me that the asian race is weak and yet further so because of their customs. For much of asia is ruled by a king." | "And where men do not rule themselves nor are autonomous but are ruled by a despot, there is no reason for them to concern themselves over this. So when they do not practice the military disciplines, but they work to seem pacifistic."
    • Sparta had the Xenelasia - expelling foreigners who were deemed injurious to the city-state.
  • Homosexuality and Pederasty *DID* exist, but it is greatly debated by the extent of which it occured.
    • Pederasty was the relationship between an Erastes (Adult Male) and an Eromenos (Younger Male), usually in their teens. However, this was believed to be more of a Mentor/Mentee relationship, not one that was inherently sexual. It also was only allowed for Citizens as any non-citizens could not engage in pederastic relationships. All surviving artwork involving pederasty does not show any sexual relationships between the Erastes and Eromenos.
    • Aristophanes wrote the famous Greek play: Lysistrata. This involves a ploy by Athenian women to stop having sex with their men so they would stop waging war with Sparta. If most greek men could gain sexual release through other means, this ploy would not have worked, but it did.
    • Greek Homosexuality by K.J. Dover explains better than I can in his book. He notes that there are 600 "homosexual" relations depicted out of nearly 80,000 known Greek vases. That is not great evidence to show a prevalent homosexual nature within Greek culture.
    • Xenophon: "Lycurgus adopted a system opposed to all of these alike. Given that someone, himself being all that a man ought to be, should in admiration off a boy's soul endeavor to discover in him a true friend without reproach, and to consort with him - this was a relationship which Lycurgus commended, and indeed regarded as the noblest type of bringing up." | "But if, as was evident, it was not an attachment to the soul, but a yearning merely towards the body, he stamped this thing as foul and horrible; And with this result, to the credit of Lycurgus be it said, that in lacedaemon the relationship of lover and beloved is like that of parent and child or brother and brother where carnal appetite is in abeyance."
    • Sparta also had very different words for Erastes and Eromenos.
      • Eispnelas, meaning inspirer.
      • Aites, meaning listener.
    • Grown men would not have had engaged in open homosexual relationships. One character: Alkibiades is shown as an unrelenting figure in the game's homosexual relationships. While history does show he was an active bisexual, it is suggested that he suffers from psychopathy. He was a self-serving and treacherous individual.
  • Greek Men and Women (Promiscuity) is not at all as it is portrayed in the game.
    • There were laws that prevented men from seducing noble women who were under the protection of a kyrios. However, men were able to sleep with slaves and prostitutes despite being married - but noble women were not one of those. If caught, they would be executed by the Kyrios without trial.
    • Women were able to have sex with specific men as designated by the Kyrios in order to produce a stronger offspring, however they were *not* allowed to sleep with whomever they wanted.
The Greek world was consumed by gender and race. This is shown through the various accounts of ancient Greeks and the physical history we have of that ancient civilization.

Top Bottom