• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla CG trailer - not as long as the reveal

mortal

Gold Member
So why do they need to keep ruining these games with the whole, at this point, meaningless assassin crap? I don't want a dumb sneak blade and a drone bird. I'm a Viking, why am I doing parkour? Why can't Ubi just make fun historical action games and drop the AC crud?
Yea the whole assassin thing doesn't really make any sense for Vikings lol
It probably just became more a brand identity thing to help sell the new games because people will recognize the Assassin's Creed name.

Last edited:

Paperboy

So why do they need to keep ruining these games with the whole, at this point, meaningless assassin crap? I don't want a dumb sneak blade and a drone bird. I'm a Viking, why am I doing parkour? Why can't Ubi just make fun historical action games and drop the AC crud?

It's obvious in their last two games that they try to tone down/move away from the 'assassins' part. I'm sure you will be able to not use parkour and the drone bird, like you didn't have to in the last games. This game seems to take more influences from Ubisoft's other franchises, like Far Cry (fishing for example) and Anno (building settlements). Anyway, the Assassin's Creed name sells more copies, that's why they haven't dropped it.

Kagey K

Banned
Yea the whole assassin thing doesn't really make any sense for Vikings lol
It probably just became more a brand identity thing to help sell the new games because people will recognize the Assassin's Creed name.
I think the assassins thing really stopped at Odyssey, and it became a better series because of it.

I liked the last 2 much more than the ones that came before them.

I just wonder how much bigger can it get? At a certain point it’s too much.

Sales wise they are still successful. How many games do compete with say GTA V?

Dumb post.

Assassin's Creed could have been there. Definitely, if you asked me when Assassin's Creed 2 was released. They had the setup, gameplay, storyline.

Its actually dream game material, all that Assassin's Creed games cover. Explore historical cities, exceptional graphics and music, dabble in politics, team up or assasinate prominent figures.

But Ubisoft has managed to ruin it completely, by making it generic, play by itself, shallow gameplay experience.

Imagine if these were bombshell releases that came every 5 years, decimating everything on sales chart. Aren't we supposed to aim higher?

Now they sell even less than sony exclusives, and attract comments like 'meh'.

GreyHorace

Well. that certainly looks like The History Channel's Vikings, a show which I enjoyed. I'm not digging the trailer's vibe of the Norsemen not being really monsters as they were often portrayed. The Norsemen were a proud people with a unique and fascinating culture, but they were also bastards who liked to rape and pillage wherever they went. Not to say they were any worse than any of the feudal civilizations at the time, but they were simply better brutes in an age of brutality. Trailer could be misleading though, as this is not the first AC game where the promotional material told us one thing and the game itself subverted it. Assassin's Creed 3 with it's grey outlook on the American Revolution comes to mind.

Since this is a CG trailer with no gameplay I have to ask, is the Assassin's Creed series still worth it as a historical muder simulator? Haven't played an AC game since Black Flag so I don't know if it's worth it jumping back in.

GiJoint

Assassin's Creed could have been there. Definitely, if you asked me when Assassin's Creed 2 was released. They had the setup, gameplay, storyline.

Its actually dream game material, all that Assassin's Creed games cover. Explore historical cities, exceptional graphics and music, dabble in politics, team up or assasinate prominent figures.

But Ubisoft has managed to ruin it completely, by making it generic, play by itself, shallow gameplay experience.

Imagine if these were bombshell releases that came every 5 years, decimating everything on sales chart. Aren't we supposed to aim higher?

Now they sell even less than sony exclusives, and attract comments like 'meh'.
Great post!
I mentioned earlier in the thread that my last AC game that I played in its entirety was AC2, the others just meh. I think their refresh strategy aka not releasing one every year is a good thing. Origins and Odyssey have bought life back into it again - but it’s a slippery slope.

makaveli60

Ah, the invading savages who don't hurt children and woman (sure)= good guys
Christians = evil guys
Why am I not surprised? It would be so complex to not portray them so one dimensional. Agenda pushing is more important, I assume.
And why is it that we can't play as an Assassin in an Assassin's Creed game? Odyssey and now this. Playing as a real woman assassin wouldn't be seen as an agenda pushing bullshit like playing as a spartan warrior or viking warrior anyway so I don't understand why are they forcing us to play as a warrior. Fuck that, really.

makaveli60

It really does seem to be holding them back. Every historical setting has to be turned into a struggle between the Assassins and Templars, who can't just be stand-ins for chaos v order, but have to be boiled down to good v. evil. It's frustrating to see history robbed of all nuance and believable character motivation, for the sake of making the Assassins look good by turning the opposition cartoonishly evil.
What a shame, since they could obviously do it, as seen in older games, especially in the first but in AC 3 and Rogue too for example but they choose not to, and portray one dimensional good vs bad characters for the dumb masses mixed with agenda pushing bullshit.

I feel like the difference between an interesting AC and one I'm skipping now is whether there's any mechanics in it that actually make it challenging. If you have settlement management don't just make me farm upgrades for the sake of checking them off the list. Make me want these upgrades because otherwise I might have trouble achieving something else.

DS_Joost

I have absolutely no idea what some of you cynics want out of Assassin's Creed. The amount of negativity is off the charts. Can some of you people actually be pleased with something AT ALL?

Sounds like many of you are just throwing up unrealistic expectations just to be angry or disappointed so at least you have something that makes you sound interesting. Whatever it is, many of you are starting to sound like broken records.

To those who expected realistic history: how dumb can you be? Did you not follow this fucking franchise at all? Ever?

AC isn't here as some challenging portrayal of dark periods in history. Never was. It has some elements, but yeah, they are games for the "dumb masses". Why don't some of you make your own games for the "intellectual elite" that you are?

Guess none of you know how businesses work.

Whatever Ubisoft does, it's always wrong. Always. It's no AC, it's too much AC, the new direction is wrong, it's too big, not enough to do, too much to do. Not enough choice, choice doesn't matter. Too much RPG, too little RPG.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Reactions: Alx

Compsiox

Banned
After this reveal I decided I wanted to try playing the Assassin's Creed games from the beginning. Then I remembered how many titles there are and found out the story went to shit after the AC3. Totally not motivated at all to get into these games now lol

Last edited:

Paperboy

What we know about the vikings were mostly written down by others (Christians). It was in the other sides' interest to portray the vikings as gruesome as possible, just to depict oneself as much more civilised if nothing else. The vikings were considered barbarians just because they weren't Christians. I don't say they didn't rape, murder and pillage, but it wouldn't be possible for them to establish and run societies if they were all dysfunctional brutes.

Reactions: Alx

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It would've been cooler if they embraced the time period and just made you a pillaging rapist.

The whole "no, don't kill women and children" virtue at the beginning, the village-building, all paired to an English villain, is just weird to me. Does Ubisoft not think we can handle a darker viking game? Do we always need to be The Good Team™?

DS_Joost

Just watched the trailer. I fucking told you so.

Told fucking what? That you're a moron for expecting anything else? Because you certainly did that.

I know you think you are very clever right now but nobody who likes the series had this expectation anyway so your need to make people feel disappointed is merely self indulgent.

Congratulations on the internet points though.

Last edited:
It would've been cooler if they embraced the time period and just made you a pillaging rapist.

The whole "no, don't kill women and children" virtue at the beginning, the village-building, all paired to an English villain, is just weird to me. Does Ubisoft not think we can handle a darker viking game? Do we always need to be The Good Team™?

Gamers can handle this stuff. But I suspect media will get the wrong idea. It is supposed to be a mass market game.

DS_Joost

Gamers can handle this stuff. But I suspect media will get the wrong idea. It is supposed to be a mass market game.

Assassin's Creed has always been a franchise for the mass market, and so they will go after the mass market. Anyone with half a brain and business sense knows this, so why are people disappointed?

Perhaps people should learn to criticize something for what it is and not what it never was, never has been, and never ever ever will be.

One might find that they are pretty fun games. I sure like them. But perhaps that is because I have realistic expectations.

Knowing Ubisoft, this ain't gonna go deep. And it doesn't have to.

My expectation is that we will get a big fat Viking themed power fantasy with some historical accuracy where it fits the narrative of the game. And when it doesn't shit's going out the window. And you know what? I'm down with that.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Actually watched the trailer and it didn't look bad but its still an ubisoft game. Haven't been able to get into an AC game since Black flag.

iorek21

Hey, for history nerds:

How's 800's/900's english architecture? Will it be varied enough to provide nice parkour opportunities? I miss big cities traversal in AC

Andodalf

Banned
Hey, for history nerds:

How's 800's/900's english architecture? Will it be varied enough to provide nice parkour opportunities? I miss big cities traversal in AC

Not amazing, not terrible I guess. Most places would be sparse, but towns would have central areas which were surrounded by defensive walls, wherein buildings are more tightly packed. Not really the kind of roofs that are great for running on, but at least close enough to jump between, or in some places even completely touching. Building heights were varied, and there should be a variety of interesting Churches, Castles and other battlements to climb. Most towns should have 1. Random outlying buildings 2. Nice Walls 3. Close Packed buildings therein 4. One cool Church 5. Some type of fortification. A couple "big cities" might have legit Castles with their own interior walled sections with more buildings. Another big thing should be countryside monasteries, which can have some very neat designs to play around with.

iorek21

Not amazing, not terrible I guess. Most places would be sparse, but towns would have central areas which were surrounded by defensive walls, wherein buildings are more tightly packed. Not really the kind of roofs that are great for running on, but at least close enough to jump between, or in some places even completely touching. Building heights were varied, and there should be a variety of interesting Churches, Castles and other battlements to climb. Most towns should have 1. Random outlying buildings 2. Nice Walls 3. Close Packed buildings therein 4. One cool Church 5. Some type of fortification. A couple "big cities" might have legit Castles with their own interior walled sections with more buildings. Another big thing should be countryside monasteries, which can have some very neat designs to play around with.

So, that would be something akin to Havana in Black Flag? Or maybe Florence in AC2?

Some tall churches/castles/military bases, smaller buildings and maybe some denser regions?

Andodalf

Banned
So, that would be something akin to Havana in Black Flag? Or maybe Florence in AC2?

Some tall churches/castles/military bases, smaller buildings and maybe some denser regions?

yeah honestly pretty similar to most AC2 locations, with their walled cities surrounded by outlying stuff, at least for major settlements.

Oberstein

Havana in Black Flag

Havana was a really cool city. The ambient music was perfect, and there was a good atmosphere. The problem is that no matter what city of any AC, I think the interaction is still not deep enough. They haven't put their finger on it yet, maybe one day they will.

Top Bottom