• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core 6 has sold 700k units domestically | Development going smoothly on Elden Ring DLC

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
BoPXReE.png

shame-icegif-1.gif

GAF, I hate all of you motherf**ckers, first with 13 Sentinels and now with Armored Core VI.....
giphy.gif

I got both games.... Day one 😎.

So I am a video game taster.

tommib

Probably my GOTY but there are so many this year it’s kind of ridiculous.

I thought they sold more than 2 million? Isn’t that great for a non-mainstream genre?

Production values were high, the game looks phenomenal, but come on, they must be at a good profit by now, no?

Last edited:
Well, it wouldn't kill them to add difficulty settings. I mean, I would have been there on day one if they had, but as it stands I'm waiting for a deep sale so that when I realize it's too hard, I won't care since I didn't spend $60 to $70 on the game.

El Muerto

People were probably afraid AC6 was going to be a soulsborne game with mechs since that is what the studio is known for these past couple of generations.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Well, it wouldn't kill them to add difficulty settings. I mean, I would have been there on day one if they had, but as it stands I'm waiting for a deep sale so that when I realize it's too hard, I won't care since I didn't spend $60 to $70 on the game.
I'm never buying a FS game on day 1 ever again. Can't really trust reviews or word of mouth at all either since everyone just says it's perfect. So I'll just wait until their games are cheap from now on. I play lots of hard games. I just think they make stuff that can often feel be pretty unbalanced, unfun, unfair for me. And if you end up feeling that way, nothing left to do but sell the game or eat shit. There's no reliable way to guarantee your purchase will be safe ahead of time.

I'm never buying a FS game on day 1 ever again. Can't really trust reviews or word of mouth at all either since everyone just says it's perfect. So I'll just wait until their games are cheap from now on. I play lots of hard games. I just think they make stuff that can often feel be pretty unbalanced, unfun, unfair for me. And if you end up feeling that way, nothing left to do but sell the game or eat shit. There's no reliable way to guarantee your purchase will be safe ahead of time.
Same. I loved Hollow Knight, and most MH titles, but FS games just waste player's time.

Shifty1897

I want to buy it but I can't pay full price for a game and then get filtered by the first boss. And don't @ me with some git gud crap, I'm 38, my reflexes are slow.

Mech games, more like meh games. It would've been more popular 10+ years ago when mecha animes were still thriving. Not even post-Elden Ring hype managed to help it, I imagine it would've been a commercial flop if ER didnt exist.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It has nothing to do with difficulty option since Elden Ring doesn't have one either and still sold well. Mecha games just not popular in west and adding difficulty option wouldn’t really change that.

Knightime_X

The curse of Git Gud had no problems keeping people away.
Other games sold well because the masses had no clue what they were getting into.
Now From Software is a name that means you'll pay a premium on a game you'll never get to finish.

I knew this would happen but nobody to blame but themselves.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It has nothing to do with difficulty option since Elden Ring doesn't have one either and still sold well. Mecha games just not popular in west and adding difficulty option wouldn’t really change that.
They're clearly super popular, but I'm waiting to see what the next game is like. They jumped from like 10 million sales to 30 on Elden Ring, so 20 million people tried them out that really hadn't before. We'll see their reaction when Elden Ring 2 drops. I'm sure they will still be a sales juggernaut, but it's crazy to think that difficulty is a problem for no one when I have issues with their balancing and I can get a platinum in Sifu, beat Ninja Gaiden on Master Ninja, and beat Wanted: Dead on Japanese Hard this year. Millions and millions of average gamers exist that are not even remotely close to that.

Danjin44

They're clearly super popular, but I'm waiting to see what the next game is like. They jumped from like 10 million sales to 30 on Elden Ring, so 20 million people tried them out that really hadn't before. We'll see their reaction when Elden Ring 2 drops. I'm sure they will still be a sales juggernaut, but it's crazy to think that difficulty is a problem for no one when I have issues with their balancing and I can get a platinum in Sifu, beat Ninja Gaiden on Master Ninja, and beat Wanted: Dead on Japanese Hard this year. Millions and millions of average gamers exist that are not even remotely close to that.
Each people react differently for each game, I played most FROM games I managed to beat them and get platinum most of their games, I’m not even what you call “high skill” player but for me they are well balanced.

But again this less to do difficulty and more do with most western audiences not in to mechs.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Each people react differently for each game, I played most all FROM games I managed to beat them and get platinum most of their games, I’m not even what you call “high skill” player but for me they are well balanced.

But again this less to do difficulty and more do with most western audiences not in to mechs.
I think that's definitely true. Mech games have never been big sellers.

I dunno, I think it would help a bit, especially if FS isn't happy with their sales. As someone else in the thread already said, some are probably afraid of purchasing a game that might be too difficult for them. Since it's optional, there's really no reason in modern times not to have better accessibility, if FS wants those casual sales which in turn would bolster mech games by getting the games in the hands of more people other than the regular fan base.

ER was labeled by the devs themselves as being "more accessible" because it's an open world title that players can level up higher than their current enemies. I think that helped them sell a lot more copies of that game than a normal FS title would.

Danjin44

I dunno, I think it would help a bit, especially if FS isn't happy with their sales. As someone else in the thread already said, some are probably afraid of purchasing a game that might be too difficult for them. Since it's optional, there's really no reason in modern times not to have better accessibility, if FS wants those casual sales which in turn would bolster mech games by getting the games in the hands of more people other than the regular fan base.

ER was labeled by the devs themselves as being "more accessible" because it's an open world title that players can level up higher than their current enemies. I think that helped them sell a lot more copies of that game than a normal FS title would.
You can go look at other Mecha games that had difficulty option and still didn’t sell well.

if difficulty was the issue then Sekiro would sold very badly since that game was MUCH more difficult.

Last edited:
You go look at other Mecha games that had difficulty option and still didn’t sell well.

if difficulty was the issue then Sekiro would sold very badly since that game was MUCH more difficult.
Who knows? I just think it might help sell the games to more people if they had better accessibility options. That's the trade off: if FS wants casual sales, they'll have to appeal to them better than what they do now. As they say: you can't have your cake, and eat it too.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You go look at other Mecha games that had difficulty option and still didn’t sell well.

Sekiro is the only game they've put out I couldn't beat. I still bought it but was obviously disappointed.

I would have taken an option to keep everything the same except decrease enemy damage by like 50%. Would take them 10 minutes of coding. The purchase left a bad taste for me. My older brother also got the game and that was his last FS game. I caved and got Elden Ring and regretted it. Finally stopped on Armored Core and skipped it. They used to be much better at balancing. Demon's Souls was great. I think they've mistakenly kept using that foundation and just making it more extreme each time. But enough about me, I said my piece about it.

Danjin44

Sekiro is the only game they've put out I couldn't beat. I still bought it but was obviously disappointed.

I would have taken an option to keep everything the same except decrease enemy damage by like 50%. Would take them 10 minutes of coding. The purchase left a bad taste for me. My older brother also got the game and that was his last FS game. I caved and got Elden Ring and regretted it. Finally stopped on Armored Core and skipped it. They used to be much better at balancing. Demon's Souls was great. I think they've mistakenly kept using that foundation and just making it more extreme each time. But enough about me, I said my piece about it.
No offence but I’m glad they didn’t do that, also again I’m not much skill play but still managed to beat Sekiro and even platinum it.
Who knows? I just think it might help sell the games to more people if they had better accessibility options. That's the trade off: if FS wants casual sales, they'll have to appeal to them better than what they do now. As they say: you can't have your cake, and eat it too.
who know? But we do know, majority of mecha game didn’t sell well in west even with difficulty option.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Is it just the usual Mochizuki running his mouth with his opinion and negative spin or actually what Kadokawa said? Because I don't see anything like that on their slides and it's nothing but positive even aiming to expand From's development line and expecting Global sales to grow. Any additional comment by them? I didn't see the Japanese media pick that part up.

YuLY

The taste of most Modern gamers is like the direct opposite of my own I feel like I'm in Bizarro world
Some of us are interested in a good story and immersive universe. This has none of that, the story is like the least of any From game with faceless characters only shown in their mechs, it creates a distance, no investment. So just purely gameplay, then you gotta ask how many fans of mech gameplay are there? And this is between people who like a challenge, since its a hard game, which again lowers your potential buyers.

So people who are into mechs and very hard games. INSANELY NICHE. Since most young people are into gaas/mobile stuff and traditional core games are carried by millenials, not sure how many are into the niche genre of mechs and hard games.

YuLY

You are soooo wrong, so very wrong.
bro give me a break its just random chatter with just ppl inside mechs, creates no relationship, its soulless, PUN INTENDED.

then move from abandoned industrial colonies to another in empty worlds cause thats all these soul-like know how to do. Cant w8 till this From-like genre of games die.

Last edited:

Danjin44

bro give me a break its just random chatter with just ppl inside mechs, creates no relantionship, its soulless, PUN INTENDED.
I put 150 + hours in to this game and got all the ending and platinum the game, I can tell you even without showing faces I go more attached to characters like Rusty and Walter more than 90% characters in Elden Ring and I fucking LOVED Elden Ring.

Last edited:

Danjin44

AC6 was not for me. Look up best loadout on how to beat a boss versus actual skill.
AC6 is actually very flexible about players beating the game with any loadouts they want, there is only one mission that requires you to use specific weapon.

Last edited:

YuLY

I put 150 + hours in to this game and got all the ending and platinum the game, I can tell you even without showing faces I go more attached to characters like Rusty and Walter more than 90% characters in Elden Ring and I fucking LOVED Elden Ring.
I dont hate the game, I just know it aint for me and probably why its pretty niche. Glad you liked it, you were probably part of the target demo and so they did a good job. I wish From games had more story and a "normal" difficulty, I know its their shtick but doesnt mean all their games now need to be super difficult or with big empty worlds.

Danjin44

I wish From games had more story and a "normal" difficulty, I know its their shtick but doesnt mean all their games now need to be super difficult or with big empty worlds.
There are 1000 up on 1000 “normal” games out there for people who want “normal” experiences. Like it or not FROM have their own style in how design their games which what makes their games unique and stand out among “normal“ games.

Last edited:
Some of us are interested in a good story and immersive universe. This has none of that, the story is like the least of any From game with faceless characters only shown in their mechs, it creates a distance, no investment. So just purely gameplay, then you gotta ask how many fans of mech gameplay are there? And this is between people who like a challenge, since its a hard game, which again lowers your potential buyers.

So people who are into mechs and very hard games. INSANELY NICHE. Since most young people are into gaas/mobile stuff and traditional core games are carried by millenials, not sure how many are into the niche genre of mechs and hard games.
The distance and abstractness of the story and characters is its strength, though.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I really think AC6 is the modern foot in the door to the western audience.

I think AC7 could do better if they make it in the next few years (doubtful).

But at the end of the day, it's niche. But hey, Dark Souls was too once upon a time.

Well this is awkward as the analyst who said that Kadokawa was not too happy with AC6 overseas sales has now deleted their tweet lol. I'm going to ask a mod to remove that part from the title since I guess it was incorrectly reported information.
Since I saw this thread I've been waiting for it to be reported it was a translation error, misinterpretation, or something. No way a company could be disappointed in 2.8 million sales for a mech game..
Accessibility police celebrated prematurely.

salva

I do remember enjoying one of the early armoured cores on PS... But...
Imo, it just doesn't look as good compared to a more action focused mech gameplay like Titanfall.
Put it on game pass and I'll play it

Top Bottom