• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core 6 has sold 700k units domestically | Development going smoothly on Elden Ring DLC

93YQvfF.png

Red5

Guess Armored Core as a series never caught on in the west since the PS2 days. Remember barely any of my friends even knew of it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I maybe mistaken but isn’t Armored Core VI best selling Armored Core game? Unfortunately Armored Core series never going to sell as much games like Elden Ring because apparently most western audiences have allergic to Mecha games.

Shame, because Armored Core VI is truly the best game I played this year even go as far as this gen (so far).

I hope still continue make Armored Core games.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

It`s a niche genre and there is only so much developer brand recognition can do about it.
I know From, I love their Souls games and I still wouldn`t touch Armored Core with a 10 feet pole because I simply don`t like the genre.

Napoleon Dynamite Hello GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I gave it a try back in the day and it didn't stick. Gave it a try again and still not my thing. Mechas just aren't my thing.
Yeah, this was me as well. I tried a bunch of mech games back in the day and they never clicked for me. I was going to skip AC6 but my trust in Fromsoft after 10 years of Souls-likes convinced me to give a different genre from them a try, but I still don't get the appeal of mech games. I'm like half way through my first play through and the levels feel like Dynasty Warriors with robots, in that most of the enemies are of no consequence or challenge, so you just mow them all down on your way through a bunch of levels that look visually similar, until you get to another AC or a boss. At that point, the bosses and other ACs are only slightly more interesting than the rest of the game, but not much more. I just don't get this genre.

I didn't buy Armored Core because even though I've been a fan since Armored Core 2, the games have always been janky and not worth the full price of admission.

It's the typical game I'd wait to play on PS+ and only play for an afternoon or so.

skneogaf

I bought the collector's edition of armored core 6, I've only played a few hours so far though. Resident evil 4 remake and dead space remake have been 2023 for me on repeat.

Red5

Yeah, this was me as well. I tried a bunch of mech games back in the day and they never clicked for me. I was going to skip AC6 but my trust in Fromsoft after 10 years of Souls-likes convinced me to give a different genre from them a try, but I still don't get the appeal of mech games. I'm like half way through my first play through and the levels feel like Dynasty Warriors with robots, in that most of the enemies are of no consequence or challenge, so you just mow them all down on your way through a bunch of levels that look visually similar, until you get to another AC or a boss. At that point, the bosses and other ACs are only slightly more interesting than the rest of the game, but not much more. I just don't get this genre.

IMO that's why western Mech games are superior to Japanese mecha games. In MechWarrior you pilot a slow ponderous Mech while dueling other giant Mechs and having to manage heat dissipation, armor and ammo count. Enemies feel like a challenge and less like cannon fodder.

If you want Dark Souls with Mechs, play the MechWarrior series.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I think they should be very happy with the sales given how few people are excited about mechs outside of Japan. The game definitely sold better because of how popular Elder Ring was and people were hungry for more games from the same studio.

Last edited:

missiles

I've never enjoyed controlling mechs in games, they look cool but the experience of piloting them just never clicked. From the videos, just keeping your mech in the air in the new AC looked stressful to me.

artsi

I'm personally a huge From Software fan but it's strictly limited to Soulsborne series. Unfortunately I've never got into Armored Core.

I think AC requires a very specific audience even if it's from the creators of Elden Ring.

Guess Armored Core as a series never caught on in the west since the PS2 days. Remember barely any of my friends even knew of it.
I don’t know about that, there is 5 or 6 AC games on the PS2 and combined they sold less then Fires of Rubicon as far as I know? Anyone with data?

yazenov

Retail shipments on console were around 240k-250k. So PC + PS digital equals around 450k.

I'd estimate that puts the digital ratio for the PS4/PS5 versions between 40% and 60%.

The digital share in Japan is huge for this game.

Armored Core to my knowledge is more of a niche series and it probably didn’t help that there’s literally hundreds of games releasing all the time competing with it. Hopefully it will perform good enough for a sequel. AC6 is excellent so far imo,

Woopah

The digital share in Japan is huge for this game.
PC gaming is growing in Japan, so that will increase the digital ratio over time.

Across consoles specifically, 30% - 50% is generally the range we can expect but it will obviously be different for different games.

Regginator

What are the chances that Shadow of the Erdtree will drop this year? Two calendar years between the main game and the DLC looks pretty weird.

Zuzu

Dark fantasy like Elden Ring is more attractive to people in the West and Elden Ring had a lot of recent precursor games that put the Souls formula into the mainstream for a lot of gamers. Armored Core has been a dormant franchise for a long time and so it’s not well known to the modern mainstream market.

MagnesD3

Armored Core 6 was the 2nd best game that i beat to come out this year, its a shame it didnt grab more people its one of the best Action Games ive ever played.

Fbh

If the report we got some weeks ago about it selling around 3 million units is true then I don't know what the hell Kadowaka was expecting.
3 Mill for a niche game in a niche genre seems very solid when you consider even something like RE4R took 4 months to reach 5 million sales.

Seems like the success of Elden Ring has blinded them into thinking everything by FROM is a guaranteed 10 million seller or something.

Flutta

Banned
This is sad news for Mecha fans…. Hopefully they don’t stop making them, but have a feeling we won’t be seeing another AC game in a long ass time 😭😭

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Might not be anything but a fun exercise: using this data, combined with Famitsu's opening week, estimating Final Fantasy 16 sales in Japan.
  • Armored Core Week 1 JP sales = 163,342
  • Armored Core TD JP Sales = 700,000

• Final Fantasy 16 Week 1 JP sales = 336,027
  • Final Fantasy 16 Week TD JP sales = ~1,439,900 (est.)
Just a rough estimate based on extrapolation; I'm aware of the difference of the period each game was available for sale.

cgQ9YpH.jpg
UuMIzt6.jpg

Woopah

Might not be anything but a fun exercise: using this data, combined with Famitsu's opening week, estimating Final Fantasy 16 sales in Japan.
  • Armored Core Week 1 JP sales = 163,342
  • Armored Core TD JP Sales = 700,000

• Final Fantasy 16 Week 1 JP sales = 336,027
  • Final Fantasy 16 Week TD JP sales = ~1,439,900 (est.)
Just a rough estimate based on extrapolation; I'm aware of the difference of the period each game was available for sale.

cgQ9YpH.jpg
UuMIzt6.jpg
AC was on PC, FF wasn't.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I think they should have went for a name reset, calling it AC6 would have a negative impact on the western markets that don't even know wtf AC is.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Armored Core VI is the best game that has been released in ages

The taste of most Modern gamers is like the direct opposite of my own I feel like I'm in Bizarro world
Oh, you think the bizarre is your ally? But you merely adopted the bizarre. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see normal until I was already a man. By then it was nothing but BLINDING!

Top Bottom