• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-new PlayStation Plus launches in June with three flexible membership options

Keihart

You can play the digital PS2 games available on tthe PS4 and PS5 digitally. Same will happen with PS1 games. If lucky (I wouldn't bet on itt), they may make the PS1 games crossbuy with the digital PSOne games available on PSP/Vita/PS3 ones.

Regarding being able to put your CD or DVD of PS1 or PS2 games I think it won't happen. But who knows, I thought the PS1 and PSP games were going to be for cloud gaming only and tthey will also be downloadable. Let's wait and see.
The PS2 Classics available on PS4/PS5 are sold as new games and not the legacy library from the old digital store (for example, i have Siren on PS3 but the PS4 one counts as a new sku, almost no tittles are available on the new store)
I have no access to any of the PS1, 2 or PSP games from the web store, i have to launch the barely functional PS3 or Vita store to dowload them and play them.

Are you new to the PS store? maybe that's why you seem so confused.
There hasn't been crossbuy support in a long ass time.

He did? Ok. Link to the quote if you would. I haven't seen where he made that statement.

All I'm seeing is this:

"I know there's a lot of people that like to write [that] we're burning cash right now for some future pot of gold at the end. No. Game Pass is very, very sustainable right now as it sits. And it continues to grow."

That isn't being explicit so you must mean some other quote.
That is quite explicit imo. How else would you interpret that sentence?

He also said:

"It's not the only focus of the organization, and it, as a standalone thing, is very sustainable as it sits today, like just today. It's sustainable."

Pantz

340 retro games probably means 300 PS3 games and 15 games each of PS1 and PS2, and 10 PSP games.

There are currently 418 PS3 games on Now. I'm guessing they'll slim that down by chucking out the cross gen PS3 / PS4 games or games that got remasters. But I bet that the lion's share of those games will be PS3.
Damn, I was thinking it would be worth it for an easy way to access some PS1/PS2/PSP games at least. Didn't realize they already had so many PS3 streaming games, which since they're streaming, = 0 PS3 games.

Let's see if they allow individual purchases for PS1/PS2/PSP games. They better have Crisis Core. Still might be worth it for me for a limited time, just lots of questions left to be answered.

Topher

Gold Member
That is quite explicit imo. How else would you interpret that sentence?

He also said:

"It's not the only focus of the organization, and it, as a standalone thing, is very sustainable as it sits today, like just today. It's sustainable."

Explicitly saying "Game Pass is not losing money" is saying "Game Pass is not losing money". That's what the word "explicit" means. If you have to "interpret that sentence" then that sentence is not explicit.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They are using the identical language Netflix did all those years before they now happily say they turn profit.

Netflix has reported a profit every quarter of the last decade.

I don't know where people get this BS about them not being profitable. Taking on debt does not take away from profits, until it has to be written down (paid for.)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There are emulators on the PC that run amazingly well off this very Zen/RDNA spec and a hair lower. But that also means they would have to do what MS did, and test game by game basis.

It all comes down to cost in the end (licensing, manpower, risk vs sales ratio, etc), however.
Sure, I am not saying it is impossible but not easy enough to do it on anything but PS3 based blades for now for one reason or another as a commercial product.

They will no longer borrow, they now turn profit. I bet you there is a borrowed subsidized budget set aside for Game Pass by MSFT themselves. After all, they need to burn that money otherwise get taxed to hell on it. So invest it into yourself when you're that big, it's a smarter way that giving it to Uncle Sam.

Look, they even now say, "cashflow positive"
If they had to borrow money to run Gamepass, Phil Spencer wouldn't say that they're not burning money and that Gamepass on its own is already sustainable.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I don't know where people get this BS about them not being profitable. Taking on debt does not take away from profits, until it has to be written down (paid for.)
Oh did they now?

Breaking even for the first time since 2011.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
slow motion kick GIF

Lognor

Banned

I don't do a lot of PS2 on it, but PS1 runs great. You can run a good selection of Gamecube and Dreamcast as well. The PS2/DC/GC gen stuff is YMMV depending on game, but it's coming along pretty nicely.

That's pretty awesome. I downloaded the emulator a while ago, but never actually used this. This looks great so I'm definitely going to load it up with roms! Can't believe the Xbox can do this while the PS5 can't

yurinka

But you are ignoring the middle tier option that gives you downloadable part of PS Now for less money.
And more importantly, this tier is going to be available worldwide. Even the higher tier will have a cheaper cloud gaming free version for countries where PS Now wasn't available.

They will have an increase in subs worldwide from people who is interested on downloading hundreds of games. And they will get more revenue from existing Plus users who are ok with paying a few bucks per month more to get games.

So basically:

- PSPlus
- PSPlus + (PSNow - Streaming)
- PSPlus + PSNow + retro + demos?

And maybe some better games to download than current PSNow?
Yes. As examples they mentioned Returnal, GoW, Death Stranding, Spider Man, Spider Man Morales or Mortal Kombat 11.

Last edited:
Explicitly saying "Game Pass is not losing money" is saying "Game Pass is not losing money". That's what the word "explicit" means. If you have to "interpret that sentence" then that sentence is not explicit.
That's the thing, you don't have to interpret it. He said they're not burning money on Gamepass (aka subsidizing, aka loss leader strategy). Can't get much clearer than that.

reinking

Gold Member
If Netflix is anything to go by, and MS did say they wanted to be the "Netflix of gaming," they (Netflix) operated as a loss leader for years and years until their subscription base grew substantial enough and it was well over 100million before turning profit if I last recall. They also seem to go up in price practically yearly now.

It's a loss leader service playing the "long game." That is not rocket science or a trolling bash to say so. It's fucking logic.
These guys keep tossing Netflix of gaming around like it is a good thing. Go look and see what happened to Netflix once they left the loss leader phase. Increase subscription rates and now looking at other ways to cut corners by charging extra for account sharing.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MS isn't in a profit seeking mode. They're in the marketshare growth mode.

Their strategy is working.
Exactly, why people take such offence to this is baffling.

The devil is in the details, and they want to be Netflix, they have to operate similar as Netflix's buildup.
Come On Reaction GIF

Sustainability does not equal profit. He explicitly only mentions sustainability.
He chose that word on purpose.

Last edited:

They're profitable on paper after some accounting mumbo jumbo. Their cash flow tells you another story though

IntentionalPun

Oh did they now?
Yes they have, they have posted positive net income every year since 2012 IIRC.

That is.. what profit is.

They also have taken on debt, beyond their profit.. which.. is rather normal for a growing business.. the reason the banks give the loans is they have no reason to think they can't be paid off w/ future profits.

So Netflix wasn't "cash flow positive" but that's completely different than "profit."

FrankWza

1st party games
only 20m bought gow of war
That just proves that people don’t buy a console for one game. That’s how you sell over 100 million consoles. Generation after generation.
If they had to borrow money to run Gamepass, Phil Spencer wouldn't say that they're not burning money and that Gamepass on its own is already sustainable.
they don’t need to borrow money to run gamepass because they’re funded my Microsoft. How do you think they paid for zeni and activision? Profits from the xbox one era?

IntentionalPun

They're profitable on paper after some accounting mumbo jumbo. Their cash flow tells you another story though

It's not accounting mumbo jumbo. You aren't even allowed to not annuitize investments in the US for instance, they are following the law.

And if you can secure credit to expand your business faster than the interest rates on the loans.. you take the loans.. and that's why the banks give the loans. And Netflix did that, rather easily really..

Really the "mumbo jumbo" is not understanding that taking on debt isn't some bad thing for a growing business.. it's a requirement to grow as quickly as Netflix did.

Last edited:
This threads are so entertaining, reading everyone shiting on the subscription services and the live service games but when there is the new bullshit coming they celebrate it, people expect a corporation targeting to make more money isn't doing what they were dreaming on their thoughts..... at least is funny too see the Sony side trying to spin and fold it 10 ways to make it look good and the Xbox side to make it look the worst thing in the multiverse. It's a service, if they have what you like you subscribe if not then you don't.

It's not accounting mumbo jumbo. You aren't even allowed to not annuitize investments in the US for instance, they are following the law.

And if you can secure credit to expand your business faster than the interest rates on the loans.. you take the loans.. and that's why the banks give the loans. And Netflix did that, rather easily really..

It is accounting mumbo jumbo. Accounting rules and legilsation make it easy to manipluate. Cash flow is what gives you a better representation of whether a company is bringing in more than they spend

One post you are asking me how I interpret the sentence. The next post you are telling me I don't have to interpret the sentence. "Clarity"

742122.jpg

sigh.....blondes
I asked how you interpret the sentence because you apparently don't think it's an explicit statement. I think it is.

IntentionalPun

Yes. As examples they mentioned Returnal, GoW, Death Stranding, Spider Man, Spider Man Morales or Mortal Kombat 11.

I already played God of War on PSNow a year ago.

It's really not anything new to get games a couple years down the road on PS Now... we'll see if stuff like Returnal (1 year old) is actually a trend or not but I have a feeling it's just the nature of them getting some PS5 games on the service.. the system is less than 2 years old so of course any games they bring will be.

I'm not seeing any commitment at all for them to actually improve the offering long term.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Does PS Now have the MGS HD collection games ? How does that work around the pressure sensitive buttons there ?

The Xbox port of that specific game just doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons, so some actions need other button combos (like slowly holding up guards without shooting).

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

It is accounting mumbo jumbo. Accounting rules and legilsation make it easy to manipluate. Cash flow is what gives you a better representation of whether a company is bringing in more than they spend
Legislation like requiring annuitization of investments is to make it HARDER to manipulate your numbers. Lots of companies would love to write down investments right away in years where there is an advantage for them tax wise for instance.

Last edited:

Ellery

I don't even have enough time to play so many games.

What I am mainly looking for here is the Playstation 1 games. There are like 4-5 I'd love to replay, but can't because of accesibility. So if those games are included (Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 1,2,3, Silent Hill, Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis) I might get a month of it every now and then.

I hope the older PS1, PS2 and PS3 classics have Silent Hill and Final Fantasy 6. I doubt that they're going to give us those types of games.

Jennings

The tiered pricing, forced streaming selection, and walled game selection just screams "We really don't want to do this, but there's too much demand for similar services so we kinda have to throw players a bone to choke on!"

Hinedorf

Banned
I'm confused on this "stream to PC"....... what is this like their version of Stadia??? If so solid pass for me until I see performance

Legislation like requiring annuitization of investments is to make it HARDER to manipulate your numbers. Lots of companies would love to write down investments right away in years where there is an advantage for them tax wise for instance.

I don't know what to tell you here. The numbers are in black and white. Netflix still spends more than they make. They're not a profitable company

kingfey

Banned
That just proves that people don’t buy a console for one game. That’s how you sell over 100 million consoles. Generation after generation.
That was my point to him. People buy consoles for other reason.
Be it popular, or 3rd party games. Not everyone will buy your exclusive games.

Topher

Gold Member
Sure, but that's not the case here, as Phil said.

Sustainable could be taking a manageable loss, breaking even, or even a slight profit. Since that is the word he used and you acknowledge it could imply a loss then it isn't explicit.

Definition of explicit

1a: fully revealed or expressed without vagueness, implication, or ambiguity : leaving no question as to meaning or intent

John Wick

So it's just a merge of PS Now and PS Plus with some additional old games?

This can't possibly be the much-hyped Spartacus? because Microsoft is gonna run over this like a fucking train.
Lol did you expect Sony to release their top franchises day one on this? Just like day and date with PC?
No they aren't. Sony are doing just fine as is. The service can be improved and tweaked.

Topher

Gold Member
Yea I tried that for about 30 minutes, it's shit or at least my experience was, total letdown for me. Was hoping to see a legit PC option but I guess Sony plans to fail hard

I don't think you are going to see much improvement on that front until Sony completes their move to Azure.

Top Bottom