• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-new PlayStation Plus launches in June with three flexible membership options

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
FPBCv3sXwAQE20N
Okay. That's encouraging. Returnal and Miles Morales are great titles.

nbkicker

Ill wait and see , although rubbish to see ps3 games only streaming, what about people who havnt got a decent internet connection, like the idea of downloadable ps1/2 games but would like to see the list if games, as for the ps4/ps5 games i kinda think ive bought or played the games i wanted to play already

DJ12

Mid tier for the win.

No day one, but eventually all ps studio games will be there is seems.

I'll buy what I want and wait for those I am on the fence about to pop up on the service.

Last edited:
They could have worded the different tiers better but PS+ Extra sounds like a strong contender for GamePass at the same price but with (arguably) a stronger selection of games since this is one area where Sony currently lead over Microsoft although I would expect that to change over the coming years with all the new studios that Microsoft have been buying. I currently subscribe to GamePass but have not been that impressed by the selection of games on offer as most of them I have already played and the first-party triple-A releases are pretty thin on the ground. Most new games aren't even available on GamePass in my experience (Dying Light 2, WWE 2K22, all games I have had to buy for example).

PS+ Premium is an instant turn off for me though. *Streamed* PS3 games? No thanks! If this had been a service offering backward compatible PS3 games on the PS5 then I might have been interested but I no desire to play laggy, artifact ridden games on my PS5 even though I have a very good 940 Mbps down / 180 Mbps up direct-into-the-home fibre connection. I've tried these on several different platforms and have yet to be impressed by any streamed games, though they can a least be a good way to try a game before buying it.

Last edited:

LavosBit

Neo Member
I doubt I’m even going to hold onto my basic tier plan when it comes up for renewal. Sony enticed me into re-subscribing by giving me a year for $30, but I’ve downloaded absolutely nothing and I don’t really engage with multiplayer games anymore.

I do enjoy retro titles, but I own and have ripped pretty much everything I would ever want to revisit. There’s nothing here for me.

Psplus with psnow offerings. Not too surprising or very different sounding so far. Maybe they will get some major 3rd party or ps5 launch games on it.

Hunnybun

I can't believe people were expecting first party games at launch. Most of those games sell like crazy, why on Earth would Sony go down that route when there's no reason for it and would probably end up being a lot less profitable for them?

To stave off Xbox from eating into their market share.

They're in a pretty serious content and price war with Microsoft, so it's probably not realistic to be able to sustain current margins.

DonJorginho

Banned
Baffles me how badly Sony have cocked up the announcement of this.

The reception to this would've been far greater if you actually announced some of the "retro" titles we were getting for the PS3 on streaming, but nope, keep their cards close to their chest when it harms no-one but themselves.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Rofl. I was expecting something bad, but this is literally worse.
No day one first party games with samje price as GPU with first-party games. And PS1/PS2 games locked behind most expensive option? And no streaming in my country?

At least Jimbo can brag, that his PS Plus has double amount of subs as Game Pass :messenger_grinning_sweat:

but PS+ standard is staying the same for the same amount so not really the same thing

Elios83

It is pretty much what was expected.
The fact that ps1, ps2 and psp games will be downloadable is great.
Only ps3 is streaming only because there isn't an emulator.
Game trials are interesting as well, although the impact will depend on how many new games they will apply to.

Let's see the games lineup, the value is great, they have done all they could besides day one first releases which of course no one was expecting at least at this stage.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't know why but I totally expected them to include Crunchyroll in the Premium tier.

Boo

nikolino840

I can't believe people were expecting first party games at launch. Most of those games sell like crazy, why on Earth would Sony go down that route when there's no reason for it and would probably end up being a lot less profitable for them?
Wait for that .. never Say never

NewYork214

I'll get top tier when I see the game list. Definitely a lot of ps1 and ps2 games that I would love to play again. Hope they have patapon for psp as well.

Hunnybun

I doubt I’m even going to hold onto my basic tier plan when it comes up for renewal. Sony enticed me into re-subscribing by giving me a year for $30, but I’ve downloaded absolutely nothing and I don’t really engage with multiplayer games anymore.

I do enjoy retro titles, but I own and have ripped pretty much everything I would ever want to revisit. There’s nothing here for me.

My Plus sub lapsed last summer when I forgot my credit card was expiring, and I said at the time I'd resubscribe once there was a free monthly game I was even remotely interested in.

We're like 9 months on and I'm still waiting...

reksveks

Looks like PS now memberships will be rolled over into the new top-tier service. Which is an objective upgrade so that's nice.
I am waiting for confirmation but it should do otherwise I am jumping to onto a lawsuit.

I bought ps now like 3 days ago for a year and a 12 month card ps now today.

AJUMP23

They got the pricing right. Being more expensive than Gamepass would have been a killer. Clearly the PS3 is tough to emulate consistently so going with streaming is the best idea. I haven't had PS+ in a while, and I am happy to continue that. If they said day and date release of Sony First party games, I would sign up.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Interesting, the streaming component is actually really cheap annually. As in its marginally more expensive than the mid-tier.

Top Bottom