• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 Wins TIME's Game Of The Year

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I described it many times over. Here and in other threads.
Bad pacing
No srurvival, you have tons of supplies
No horror aside from lame jump scares
Bad ending with no resolution
You play much less as Alan in Alan wake game. He is no longer main character.
Poor shooting and almost none of it.
Terrible shimmering and overall bad graphics on ps5 compared to other ps5 games. I know it looks better on pc but I am judging what I’ve played.
Terrible performance on ps5 not even holding 30 in normal exploration.
Everyone is Finnish and everyone is Sam lake.
Saga is Mary sue. She overcomes her fears at the end in 5 minutes.

...well, okay.

I'm prepared to give a lot of the jank a pass because it tries to be creative, interesting and original in a sea of bland, repetitive shit (Spider-man 2, Starfield)

And everyone isn't Finnish. It's established that Watery is a town built by Finnish immigrants. Again, that felt interesting and fresh to me. Sam Lake being three separate characters in one of the points of the - admittedly convoluted - story.

It's still not GOTY, though. Below both ToTK and Baldur's Gate.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
...well, okay.

I'm prepared to give a lot of the jank a pass because it tries to be creative, interesting and original in a sea of bland, repetitive shit (Spider-man 2, Starfield)

And everyone isn't Finnish. It's established that Watery is a town built by Finnish immigrants. Again, that felt interesting and fresh to me. Sam Lake being three separate characters in one of the points of the - admittedly convoluted - story.

It's still not GOTY, though.
It is creative. I like that. Even with those flaws, it’s better than another cod of course.
I just dont imagine replaying it. Maybe if I could only replay Alan sections but then it makes no sense

Everyone is Finnish and everyone is Sam lake.
YO! You racist or something? Perkele.

tony montana scarface GIF

I love finish people. I work with some.
But they are not as social as in the game lol. And it’s USA. Imigrants excuse is bs.
Doesn’t matter. It’s part of the charm I guess
I'll finish this anti-Finnish propaganda.

What immigrant excuse? IMO the game is just trying to be a little different and it's made by a Finnish game company.

Just look up the city of Hancock in Michigan. It's basically bigger version of Watery 😅

Edit. There's even a story called "Risto's Hardware" goddamn! I have visit there someday.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

It's top 3 of 2023 for me. Congrats to Remedy! What's holding it back is the less than stellar gameplay. Remedy's priority is obviously presentation, not gameplay, and that's a conscious decision they've made. At the end of the day I prefer exciting gameplay, which is why RE4 is my GOTY.

As a fan of the original I'm still very pleased with what we got after 13 years. Not thrilled about the ending, though.

Last edited:

fatmarco

...well, okay.

It's still not GOTY, though. Below both ToTK and Baldur's Gate.
But that was a retcon to the original game. It was added into the Remaster after being mentioned in Control.

As a game, due its gameplay, combat loop, pacing, its not GOTY material. If it's based on its narrative, I still don't honestly don't think that was GOTY material either as it comes across as needlessly obtuse while saying very little, and ultimately it resolves nothing of the greater narrative. We don't achieve what we have been waiting 13 years to do, and its quite unfulfilling as a result.

It's beautiful and somewhat unique, but too self indulgent and narcissistic to be great.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Alan Wake II #1

Tobey Maguire Lol GIF

I mean its a third person cinematic action adventure...

Like this gives bonus points for some reason towards score, a bit like how sticking Zelda in your game title gives it +5% score on average.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

lol woke and racism are not the same.
You think I care what skin color saga is?
I care that she is a terrible shoehorned Mary sue

In case you’ve been living under a rock, Mary Sue is a derogatory term meant to insult fictional female characters and demean the movies or TV shows they’re in. While a lot of the people who throw it around pretend it’s a valid criticism describing female characters who are good at everything and lack flaws, it’s really just a hypocritical phrase they hope will camouflage their misogyny and sexism.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Yeah whoever wrote that was just a shill wanting their disney bucks... strange that a few years later people can now vocally point out that shitty female characters who can do everything and have no flaws are a so common it's a joke, and audiences have now been moving away because it's got so obvious that screaming "MAH SOGGY KNEES" no longer works.

Last edited:

phant0m

Game is great, 9/10 for me but nothing else this year comes close to BG3 for GOTY.

Unless we're skipping it for GOTY and just going straight to GOTG.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
the full list

1. Alan Wake II
  2. Baldur’s Gate 3
  3. Spider-Man 2
  4. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  5. Resident Evil 4 Remake
  6. Dead Space Remake
  7. Super Mario Wonder
  8. Star Wars Jedi Survivor
  9. Diablo IV
  10. Dredge

weird-family-250x250.jpg

Aw they included a indie game. Ok, ok, Baldur’s Gate 3. Two indies.

MTI4OTg2MDQ0NDQyODgwNjQz.jpg

Last edited:

eNT1TY

I just couldn't get into it, found it boring but recognize that it is a well crafted game. Not a fan of Remedy i guess though i did like Quantum Break.

Top Bottom