• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aladdin (GEN), The Lion King, and The Jungle Book are all available now on GOG

WTF is this shit?

It was a DOS port from early 1994. Even by that period IBM compatible PC's were not capable of displaying smooth 2D scrolling at 60Hz (unless the game was developed for a higher end VGA card) so sacrifices had to be made unfortunately. The Lion King and Jungle Book were released later and they were able to solve the cropping of Aladdin on DOS. Though I think all three of these games are 30Hz.

Lynx_7

I really need to replay The Lion King one of these days. I always hear people saying how brutal it is but I never thought of it as a difficult game back when I was a child. Then again I always got stuck on an Adult Simba level because I didn't know just what I had to do to proceed.

Also never played Genesis Aladdin, but SNES version was my jam. Might have to give it a try.

This made me exceedingly happy until I saw it was only on GOG, the Genesis version of Aladdin, and annoyingly expensive. When I saw the link Disney put out on Twitter I had a brief bit of wonderment over the thought of them coming to PSN or the VC. Hopefully its the beginning of the back catalouge finally coming out, at least.

Not that I dislike GOG, it's just not the ideal place I would've wanted them to go first.

Aladdin worked with a USB SNES pad out of the box.

All of these games originally supported the Gravis 4 button game pad and compatible devices...

post-5654-0-59730400-1389384530.jpg

DOSBox can recognize the Gravis game pad support and make it compatible with modern game pads. Though of course modern gamepads are still limited to just four action buttons, which is not an issue for any of these games as they use the same 4 button layouts that the Genesis games did. So yeah, I think Xinput and direct imput should work out of the box.

Persona7

Banned
This made me exceedingly happy until I saw it was only on GOG, the Genesis version of Aladdin, and annoyingly expensive. When I saw the link Disney put out on Twitter I had a brief bit of wonderment over the thought of them coming to PSN or the VC. Hopefully its the beginning of the back catalouge finally coming out, at least.

Not that I dislike GOG, it's just not the ideal place I would've wanted them to go first.

They seem to be permanently exclusive to GOG. Probably because they were the ones who made it happen.

Gemeanie

Used to beat all three games again and again as a kid. Good time.
Figuring out how to beat Scar before the internet era was so satisfying:D

Probably saving them for next month though... The wallet is already bleeding with Super Robot Wars OG, KOF14 and NMS all coming out this month

I played the shit out of Lion King when I was a kid. I remember it being hard but was still able to beat it.

I also played a lot of Aladdin for SNES. Guess it's a good time to try the Genesis version.

Aladdin and Lion King were some hardcore games, I sucked big time at them when I played them as a kid on the genesis. Funny thing is I tried them a few years ago as an adult and still sucked ass at them. Overall good games though and a really cool retro-soundtrack rendition of the movie's famous songs.

Yrael

Pretty cool. I won't be picking these up (far too pricey for my blood), but it brings back a lot of memories seeing these again. It was one of my proudest moments when I finally legitimately beat The Lion King on Sega Megadrive.

They are the original DOS releases, but I have no idea if they altered anything. The DOS PC version of Aladdin is the most butchered of these ports from its Genesis version,

The DOS version runs at 30Hz and has a cropped screen.
8959-disney-s-aladdin-dos-screenshot-stage-2.gif

Genesis screenshot for comparison...
37715-disney-s-aladdin-genesis-screenshot-the-desert.gif

The Genesis game ran at 320x224 while the DOS game runs at 320x200 with a status bar covering the screen, which effectively only makes the game playing field 320x160.

Yeah, the DOS version of Aladdin they showed in the trailer with its weird icon placement and cropped screen doesn't look like the one I remember on my Sega. I think I'd find it annoyingly distracting.

wazoo

They seem to be permanently exclusive to GOG. Probably because they were the ones who made it happen.

They are just dos version in dosbox. There is no magic involved. People are so console focused that these PC ports did not exist in the first place.

I own physical copies of the first two games, but I've never played the Jungle Book. Is it on the same level of awesomeness as the other Disney games?

Persona7

Banned
They are just dos version in dosbox. There is no magic involved. People are so console focused that these PC ports did not exist in the first place.

I meant that they were the ones who went out of the way to make a deal with disney and get them to agree to a re-release.

Top Bottom