• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aladdin (GEN), The Lion King, and The Jungle Book are all available now on GOG

I just remembered that when Lion King for DOS originally launched, most people couldn't actually play it because the game would just crash after the title screen

Luckily the GOG version doesn't seem to have this issue like the 1.0 version did.

I just remembered that when Lion King for DOS originally launched, most people couldn't actually play it because the game would just crash after the title screen

Luckily the GOG version doesn't seem to have this issue like the 1.0 version did.

Would have been odd for them to release it if it did lol

Firebrand

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Nice, may actually snag Aladdin for a hit of nostalgia. Never did play Lion King as reviews at the time were down on the absurd difficulty, but I was always curious.

I briefly tried Aladdin on DOS before, coming fresh off the Genesis version, and yeah, the thing that stuck out the most (aside from the MOD music) is the game's 30Hz framerate compared to the original's 60Hz. I did notice that Toy Story on Windows 95 has the same issue; forget if the demo of Maui Mallard was also 30Hz or not. Game felt okay otherwise?

Speaking of Maui Mallard, I don't exactly anticipate it, on the grounds that it was a Windows 95 release, not a DOS one. I mean, their version of Toy Story for Win95 doesn't work on WinXP, let alone Win7/8/10, so my hopes for Maui aren't high as such.

The prices are way too high on these.I get that their are a lot of groups that need to get paid Disney, Virgin (maybe), and GOG. But even Nintendo doesn't charge this much for their classic snes games.

I briefly tried Aladdin on DOS before, coming fresh off the Genesis version, and yeah, the thing that stuck out the most (aside from the MOD music) is the game's 30Hz framerate compared to the original's 60Hz. I did notice that Toy Story on Windows 95 has the same issue; forget if the demo of Maui Mallard was also 30Hz or not. Game felt okay otherwise?

Speaking of Maui Mallard, I don't exactly anticipate it, on the grounds that it was a Windows 95 release, not a DOS one. I mean, their version of Toy Story for Win95 doesn't work on WinXP, let alone Win7/8/10, so my hopes for Maui aren't high as such.

Does it run on Wine? Maybe it's time to port it to Windows...

Bl@de

Yes!!! These games were the Jump'n'Runs of my Childhood (because as a PC gamer there was no Mario^^). I never beat Lion King (don't know if it was the difficulty or me but damn that game was hard. I don't know if I even beat the first 2-3 levels :/). But I loved it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This is the Virgin Games version of Aladdin I assume? Blah.

I enjoyed the SNES game more and Lion King & Jungle Book were both fairly average.

Still I'm glad to see these available for sale again for those that want 'em.

I'v never played Jungle Book but Lion King and Aladdin are two of my childhood favorites. Also good it's the Genesis version of Aladdin, it's so much better than the snes version.

Aladdin is easy, but Lion King...never did beat it legit, game is hard as fuck.

I'd love for these games to get released on PS4 with trophies.

Actually, that's MOD music ;P. I remember listening to the Aladdin title music in FastTracker for the vocal chorus, after I had seen the film for the first time.

Oh neat. The only PC DOS port that I have played of these three was the Lion King, and I remember it being alright. It is rare to hear MOD music in PC games from that era.

Wow, I had no idea. What an interesting thing, the idea that devs had to design AROUND the rental market...

This happened all of the time during the late '80s through to the 16bit and 32bit generation consoles. But I think it was most common during the early to mid '90s. A lot of games were either designed to be really hard to prevent people from completing them through a rental period, or there would be artificial challenge spikes around the 2nd to 4th level, where a game would just get ridiculously hard and then back track to an easier challenge.

This is the Virgin Games version of Aladdin I assume? Blah.

The Virgin game was ported to just about every platform back then. The Capcom version of the game was only ever released on the SNES and had a GBA port.

I'd love to see streams of lion king today , see how people handle that insane brutal SECOND level in the game, shit was impossible as a kid

Aladdin was very good though

Good thing I still have all 3/4 (i dunno which Aladdin they put on GOG) of these kept in perfect condition after almost 18 years so I'm good.

Anybody try these out yet? Are they in fact the 30hz versions, rather than the 60hz Genesis versions?

They are the original DOS releases, but I have no idea if they altered anything. The DOS PC version of Aladdin is the most butchered of these ports from its Genesis version,

The DOS version runs at 30Hz and has a cropped screen.
8959-disney-s-aladdin-dos-screenshot-stage-2.gif

Genesis screenshot for comparison...
37715-disney-s-aladdin-genesis-screenshot-the-desert.gif

The Genesis game ran at 320x224 while the DOS game runs at 320x200 with a status bar covering the screen, which effectively only makes the game playing field 320x160.

The DOS version of the Lion King still runs at 320x200 just like Aladdin, but doesn't crop off a huge portion of the screen...
9033-the-lion-king-dos-screenshot-walking-in-the-rocks.gif

Genesis game
33721-the-lion-king-genesis-screenshot-touch-the-hanging-lion-icon.gif

The Genesis port still runs at a higher resolution of 320x224, but the PC port isn't too bad in this regard. It is still higher resolution than the SNES port.

The Jungle Book is about the same as the Lion King:

DOS:
275640-disney-s-the-jungle-book-dos-screenshot-beginning-of-the-game.png

Genesis:
35832-disney-s-the-jungle-book-genesis-screenshot-mission-is-clear.gif

Though i am not actually sure if the Lion King or The Jungle Book were 30 or 60Hz on PC.

Mr.Fusion

Maybe Disney will release either the SNES or Genesis versions on PS4; they did release Super Star Wars on PS4 last year.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Bit pricey, wouldn't mind Aladdin though.

Great. Maybe some people will replay these games now and realize their mediocre.

SNES Aladdin is one of the few Disney games from the 16bit era that holds up, even if it is extremely short.

Persona7

Banned
The prices are way too high on these.I get that their are a lot of groups that need to get paid Disney, Virgin (maybe), and GOG. But even Nintendo doesn't charge this much for their classic snes games.

Pretty sure I paid $9.99 for Earthbound which is the same price these will be when the discount goes away.

Oh, what?! I need Aladdin and Lion King! But no money till next month. Lol

I need to beat Lion King! It always kicked my ass as a kid. I couldn't get past a certain level.. Forgot what it was.

Aladdin is just amazing. I completed it so many times.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
They are the original DOS releases, but I have no idea if they altered anything. The DOS PC version of Aladdin is the most butchered of these ports from its Genesis version,

The DOS version runs at 30Hz and has a cropped screen.
8959-disney-s-aladdin-dos-screenshot-stage-2.gif

Genesis screenshot for comparison...
37715-disney-s-aladdin-genesis-screenshot-the-desert.gif

WTF is this shit?

MacTag

Banned
I was responding to someone who said "But even Nintendo doesn't charge this much for their classic snes games."

And earthbound is $9.99.
Sure, one special case like I said. The higher price was also to help justify putting the pdf strategy guide online.

Nintendo's released 50 SNES games for $7.99 each, and 1 for $9.99.

Persona7

Banned
Sure, one special case like I said. The higher price was also to help justify putting the pdf strategy guide online.

Nintendo's released 50 SNES games for $7.99 each, and 1 for $9.99.

Still doesn't change the fact that Nintendo does charge that much for old games even if it is a single game.

these prices though, imo just no way . if I am rich and they are some super ports alright..

just saw that they are also inferior ports. No thanks.

Top Bottom