• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lion King and Aladdin Game Remasters Announced

mango drank

What do you want though? Hundreds of consecutive posts saying "Can't wait for this!". That's pretty dull. I find it far more interesting when someone isn't into something popular

Nah, the post I quoted went from 1) nihilism and indifference to 2) warm wishes directed at the people who intend to play the games. It was a funny mood swing, unusual for this board, and was most pleasing to me. thatsthejoke.jpg

And what do you mean? There are plenty of posts in this thread dumping on the Lion King.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
They will miss a trick if they don’t release this with an extra controller as a pack in. You know, because of those cutting monkeys.

Good, the SNES version of Aladdin is vastly superior! So it's neat that we get both.

I like them both to be honest. Never understood the criticism people have about the Super Nintendo game these days, because it's also a very playable and good-looking game. It was very well received at the time, by both the press and gamers. The Super Nintendo game was Shinji Mikami's breakthrough as well.

nkarafo

I like them both to be honest. Never understood the criticism people have about the Super Nintendo game these days, because it's also a very playable and good-looking game. It was very well received at the time, by both the press and gamers. The Super Nintendo game was Shinji Mikami's breakthrough as well.
It's not that the SNES game is bad. It's just that it was overshadowed by the remarkable Mega Drive version. The fact that it looked and moved so close to the movie was pretty important it seems.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'd buy this is it's cheap enough. I'm just not sure exactly how much two Genesis/Mega drive games are worth to me.

dolabla

DCG-Switch-Boxshot-2D-E10+-720x979.png

The current game list for Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King is:

• Disney’s Aladdin - SEGA Genesis version
  • Disney’s Aladdin - Game Boy version (includes “Super Game Boy version,” which implies a bit more color, Super Game Boy-style)
  • Disney’s Aladdin Final Cut - We don’t know what this is but asked (we haven’t heard back)
  • Disney’s Aladdin Trade Show Demo - A demo version “that has not been publicly available since 1993,” according to the press release
  • The Lion King - SEGA Genesis version
  • The Lion King - Super Nintendo version
  • The Lion King - Game Boy version (also includes “Super Game Boy" version)
Notable in the press release is the absence of the SNES version of Disney’s Aladdin, a very different game than the Genesis version, that also has the distinction being designed by Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami. We’ve reached out to confirm if the SNES version won’t be included in the final list but haven’t heard back at this time. Other notable exclusions include the SEGA Game Gear versions of both Disney's Aladdin and The Lion King, the latter of which is regarded highly for its improved gameplay at the expense of graphics.

• Upscaled graphics (Although you can access the original builds, too)
    [*]
    [*]Filters for visual enhancement (It looks like scanlines are simulated in the screenshots)
    [*]
    [*]Customizable controls
    [*]
    [*]Interactive Game Viewer that lets you watch a pre-recorded play and jump into the game at any time, like the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
    [*]
    [*]A rewind feature so you can undo your mistakes on the fly
    [*]
    [*]An “explorable museum” of “behind-the-scenes development assets including interviews,”
    [*]
    [*]Art gallery
    [*]
    [*]Music player
The Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King collection will be out this fall, though no specific release date has been announced. It will retail at $29.99 USD (no UK or Australian prices available at time of writing).

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It's not that the SNES game is bad. It's just that it was overshadowed by the remarkable Mega Drive version. The fact that it looked and moved so close to the movie was pretty important it seems.
the animation is really eye catching on the Genesis. when I was a kid I was envious cos I had the SNES one and didn't think it looked as good. going back to it, i think the SNES is a better game, it plays better, better level design, with a less cluttered look. the music is better as well. good thing with this release is, I don't have to choose. both games have a lot to offer, and it's cool they did two entirely different games rather than a game and port.

Disney’s Aladdin Final Cut - We don’t know what this is but asked (we haven’t heard back)

This is probably restored content added to the final build of the Genesis game.

Disney’s Aladdin Trade Show Demo - A demo version “that has not been publicly available since 1993,” according to the press release

Well, the ROM that's included is probably one shared online not so long ago (CES Chicago, 1993). Unless it's the one mentioned in the book Console Wars.

CamHostage

Genesis version of Aladdin (plus Game Boy and demo versions); all major versions of Lion King.

The two games were originally Virgin Interactive releases/productions if I remember right? So it makes sense how they're building the package. Capcom is not involved (no mention of Disney Interactive either in the PR?,) so no SNES Aladdin sadly (though they really should have contracted to box them both, as it's just 2 games for $30, plus it would have been really nice to have put the Battle of the Aladdins behind us with one single package.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
$30 American dollars?

I guess they really are trying to cash in on the recent live-action movies collective hype.

GrayFoxPL

vzAqPEi.gif

I dreamed for this to happen.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

CamHostage

$30 American dollars?

I guess they really are trying to cash in on the recent live-action movies collective hype.

Sounds like it. Would have been a better deal if it had been a four-pack (like Capcom's Disney Afternoon Collection) with Virgin Interactive's The Jungle Book and Pinoccio tossed in, but it's a very efficient retail package of two games loosely tied to two movies that'll be out on home video in the same Christmas. (I mean, I know kids just use their Rokus, but grandmas need something to buy in the holidays.)

Too pricey for my shelf, but I like Digital Eclipse's packages (their emulation is not up to M2 but it's full of bells and whistles) so maybe it'll do well enough that we'll see more Virgin titles. Cool Spot / Global Gladiators combo?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Yeah, it's coming to Steam according to the trailer below:

No no, you got me wrong.

I'm talking about the PC version of those games. At the time, those games were on PC-DOS as well. The soundtrack was way better than Snes and Mega-Drive ones.

Ten_Fold

Mannn idk if kids can beat these games, those games are pretty damn hard if o recall lion king got me soo mad as a kid.

dolabla

No no, you got me wrong.

I'm talking about the PC version of those games. At the time, those games were on PC-DOS as well. The soundtrack was way better than Snes and Mega-Drive ones.

Ah, gotcha. It doesn't look like it. It's looking like only the Genesis, SNES (no Aladdin tho) and Gameboy versions.

Animagic

Banned
I wish as much care in the extras and features they put into this collection had been put into Grandia HD Collection. Hell, even 1/10 of the effort would have been nice.

Shin

Banned
They should have had Moon Studios or something along that caliber do a remake instead of this quick 'n dirty.
Such a missed opportunity, especially with 2 movies recently (or yet to release) about these games.

Wonko_C

Who owns the rights to Virgin's games? Disney? I mean they obviously own the IPs but that would explain why Capcom's game isn't in it.

There sure is an interesting story in seeing how this got greenlit.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
You can play both of the great 16-bit Aladdin games today, in about 2 seconds of configuring an emulator, homebrewing an old Wii hooked up to an CRT, etc. I don't see the benefit of all these "remasters" that just end up losing the original pixel art anyway.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Who owns the rights to Virgin's games? Disney? I mean they obviously own the IPs but that would explain why Capcom's game isn't in it.
ah, they own the rights. it's a shame Disney can't negotiate a way to licensing rights for a 26 year old video game, titled Disney's Aladdin, but I guess they just can't spare the money. it's not like they have billions of dollars to throw into marketing nostalgia or anything.

Last edited:

spawn

I played these on the sega genesis back in the 90s so this is nostalgic, but I probably will not buy them. They were not very good games

Saber

Gold Member
Ah, gotcha. It doesn't look like it. It's looking like only the Genesis, SNES (no Aladdin tho) and Gameboy versions.

Thats sad. The PC-DOS version of Alladin has an amazing soundtrack. Mega Drive still good though.

CamHostage

ah, they own the rights. it's a shame Disney can't negotiate a way to licensing rights for a 26 year old video game, titled Disney's Aladdin, but I guess they just can't spare the money. it's not like they have billions of dollars to throw into marketing nostalgia or anything.

This package is being put out by Nighthawk Interactive, with Digital Eclipse doing the development (and probably most of the heavy lifting in the producing/negotiating.) Disney Games/Disney Interactive is AFAIK not listed as being involved in any way with the product. So I don't think Disney gives a damn or would lift a finger for this package, it's more a matter that Digital Eclipse or whoever wanted to do something with the dormant game rights while the two brands were hot.

Also, as far as the SNES copy, Capcom could have been nice and signed it over, but then again, they may be wanting to do their own package (especially since Disney Afternoon Collection seemed to do well,) but they've already done DuckTales and the Magical Quest games would be their own package, there's not much more that Capcom has from that era, so I could see them holding their own Aladdin until maybe they decided to do like a combo with Goof Troop or something like that (the NES Little Mermaid is similarly orphaned.) Would have been much better if Capcom had just gone in on this package, but as a business decision, I'm not sure what Digital Eclipse could have done to make it worth their while. (Knowing DE, by the way, I'm sure they tried to get both Aladdins, and they have the contacts at Capcom to do it if anybody does, so it's sad that nothing came through to round out this package perfectly.)

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
This game is stupid. Why the fuck does Aladdin have to jump around everywhere. The dude has a flying carpet.

Everything Disney makes is stupid. The Aladdin game doesn't even have a non binary character creator. Not keen to get raped by these archaic and homophobic gaming tropes.

NEXT

jadefire66

I hope they do something about The Lion King because it's EXTREMELY HARD. And not the balanced and fun kind.

PS: Aladdin Genesis > SNES

Top Bottom