• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp delayed

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The OG game looks fresh.

This playmobil sheit ruins everything that made it look good.
Kill this shit

Vognerful

What virtue or points do you think they are signalling here? Nintendo believe that the current situation will make it harder to market the game and lead to lower sales. Therefore they are delaying the product to a time when it's release is more profitable.

Its a business move.

EDIT: I think it's also worth pointing out that the original Advance Wars was delayed in Europe and Japan because of 9/11. It released in November America on 10 September 2001.
Bro why is my quote from the other thread is here?

daclynk

The game has some Russian style generals too, using tanks.

1JRl6vz.jpg
oh didnt know that. Bummer

Jermare

Neo Member
I wonder if the delays of this game will taint anticipation. Please release it during a dry period.

Woopah

Virtual signaling by companies is considered to be a cynical business/marketing move, first and foremost. I doubt anyone claiming this is disputing that.

I sincerely doubt most reasonable people will be making any connections between Advance Wars to the Ukrainian/Russian war right now, let alone in a month.
Anyone that would be offended by a cartoony fictional war-themed game because of real-life war is either a child or is someone with the mentality of a child.
To me virtue signalling is empty words but no action. This is an action but no words.

What is 'virtuous' about Nintendo delaying this game? What virtue was Nintendo signalling when they delayed the original Advance Wars after 9/11?

Bro why is my quote from the other thread is here?
That was not done in purpose. My apologies.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Any other company would probably delay the game IN RUSIA, lol I think it's ok, that's a better way to show sensibility than attacking Rusia

mortal

Gold Member
To me virtue signalling is empty words but no action. This is an action but no words.
The most common example is when companies change their social media banners & avatars to pride & trans flags colors or create marketing material to pander to those groups, All of which are still technically actions.
This is ironic considering they're referred to as pride flags, but apparently not proud enough to adorn in regions where those groups are legitimately marginalized & persecuted that can actually use that moral support.
Companies do that shit all the time, but you won't catch any of them proudly displaying any of that in predominately Islamic countries.

What is 'virtuous' about Nintendo delaying this game? What virtue was Nintendo signalling when they delayed the original Advance Wars after 9/11?
Yes, that is virtue signaling as well. Everyone understands that actual wars are fucked up and cause misery, at least anyone that can separate fiction from reality.
This isn't something that needs to be stated by a video game company to make that realization.
Neither does it ultimately do or solve anything, all it does is delay games so a sanctimonious minority of terminally online people don't feel bad or get offended because apparently war is bad, don't you know.

"In light of recent world events," they say.
lol fucking spare me. There have been conflicts and atrocities happening around the world all the time in various Arab countries and African countries.
Hell, not that long ago China snatched up Hong Kong despite all of the protests and resistance from the people of Hong Kong fighting for the sovereignty of their country.
The CCP & Chinese companies continue to carry out a myriad of human rights violations, but I don't see any of these companies ceasing doing business in China.
So it's obviously not about people suffering, it's about how much attention something is getting in corporate media and on social media.
The whole point of having virtues is to consistently abide by them regardless of the circumstances, not when it is most convenient.

Last edited:

Woopah

That is the most common example is when companies change their social media banners & avatars to pride & trans flags colors or create marketing material to pander to those groups, All of which are still technically actions.
This is ironic considering they're referred to as pride flags, but apparently not proud enough to adorn in regions where those groups are legitimately marginalized & persecuted that can actually use that moral support.
Companies do that shit all the time, but you won't catch any of them proudly displaying any of that in predominately Islamic countries.

Yes, that is virtue signaling as well. Everyone understands that actual wars are fucked up and cause misery, at least anyone that can separate fiction from reality.
This isn't something that needs to be stated by a video game company to make that realization.
Neither does it ultimately do or solve anything, all it does is delay games so a sanctimonious minority of terminally online people don't feel bad or get offended because apparently war is bad, don't you know.

"In light of recent world events," they say.
lol fucking spare me. There have been conflicts and atrocities happening around the world all the time in various Arab countries and African countries.
Hell, not that long ago China snatched up Hong Kong despite all of the protests and resistance from the people of Hong Kong fighting for the sovereignty of their country.
The CCP & Chinese companies continue to carry out a myriad of human rights violations, but I don't see any of these companies ceasing doing business in China.
So it's obviously not about people suffering, it's about how much attention something is getting in corporate media and on social media.
The whole point of having virtues is to consistently abide by them regardless of the circumstances, not when it is most convenient.
I feel like that is a completely topic than what is happening here. This has nothing to do with pride flags on social media or the lack of meaningful action by companies on this issue in the Middle East (I agree with you on that issue)

Nintendo is not making any political statement here, nor are they are targeting marketing to marginalized groups. This is not a move try and get attention, it's the opposite of that.

Just as what happened with the original Advance Wars, Nintendo decided that the current geopolitical situation and news coverage will have a negative impact on the sales of one of its products.Therefore it is delaying the product until a time when it thinks that negative impact will lessened.

A company wanting one of its products to sell well is not a virtue.

Shifty1897

I'm just thinking about how much fun I'm having in that alternate reality where WayForward hit their deadline and this game came out last year.

mortal

Gold Member
I feel like that is a completely topic than what is happening here. This has nothing to do with pride flags on social media or the lack of meaningful action by companies on this issue in the Middle East (I agree with you on that issue)

Nintendo is not making any political statement here, nor are they are targeting marketing to marginalized groups. This is not a move try and get attention, it's the opposite of that.

Just as what happened with the original Advance Wars, Nintendo decided that the current geopolitical situation and news coverage will have a negative impact on the sales of one of its products.Therefore it is delaying the product until a time when it thinks that negative impact will lessened
Well, I gave you the most common example of intention from companies and their inconsistencies to give greater context to my arguments pertaining to other wars and atrocities.

They're trying not to get attention by drawing attention to recent events?
Nintendo made this announcement because it's currently a trend to cancel (or in this case delay) anything to do with Russia because of Russia's invading warring with Ukraine. That's the catalyst.

A company wanting one of its products to sell well is not a virtue.
I agree, but "In light of recent world events" is the context here. That is an emotional plea.

Woopah

Well, I gave you the most common example of intention from companies and their inconsistencies to give greater context to my arguments pertaining to other wars and atrocities.

They're trying not to get attention by drawing attention to recent events?
Nintendo made this announcement because it's currently a trend to cancel (or in this case delay) anything to do with Russia because of Russia's invading warring with Ukraine. That's the catalyst.

I agree, but "In light of recent world events" is the context here. That is an emotional plea.
An plea for what?

There is no emotion here. Its a company letting people know that they are delaying a product until a more favourable marketing/sales environment for this particular product.

Kirby is not being delayed because it's sales potential won't be negatively impacted by recent world events. Nintendo believe AW's sales will be negatively impacted.

How many companies delayed products after 9/11? What "trend" was Nintendo following that time?

mortal

Gold Member
An plea for what?

There is no emotion here. Its a company letting people know that they are delaying a product until a more favourable marketing/sales environment for this particular product.

Kirby is not being delayed because it's sales potential won't be negatively impacted by recent world events. Nintendo believe AW's sales will be negatively impacted.

How many companies delayed products after 9/11? What "trend" was Nintendo following that time?
Yea this going in circles. You can have the last word lol

ranmafan

Given how easy it is to trigger the twitter mob, Nintendo is probably right on that one.
Yeah considering anyone replying to Nintendo on Twitter with even the slightest bit of dissapointment or frustration at this decision are getting lots of push back from the Twitter mob right now, it’s not a huge surprise why they made this decision.

Mozza

Taking this outside of a business decision, which of course will be a factor, there will be also an element of Nintendo being sensitive to the current situation, my issue with this is as of the moment there are many conflicts around the world that have been going on for years, even Eastern Ukraine has been at war for the past eight, so it seems companies and the media are only sensitive to certain conflicts, or indeed like to draw attention to them.

So this begs the question, with all the conflicts going on in the world on a pretty much continuous basis, when would be a good time to release a game based on war, and that's before we get into a debate at how the game depicts it etc, as I am pretty sure a game like advance wars would not be seen in the same light as modern warfare, or call of duty, in it's presentation etc.

Another question is how far do we go with this, could a chess game for example get delayed.

Last edited:

Mozza

What virtue or points do you think they are signalling here? Nintendo believe that the current situation will make it harder to market the game and lead to lower sales. Therefore they are delaying the product to a time when it's release is more profitable.

Its a business move.

EDIT: I think it's also worth pointing out that the original Advance Wars was delayed in Europe and Japan because of 9/11. It released in November America on 10 September 2001.
Not so sure it's a business move, the original games have not even sold a million copies each, so this is niche at best, pretty sure this is more down to Nintendo's profile and trying to demonstrate they are a caring company. ;)

Last edited:

Zannegan

Virtual signaling by companies is considered to be a cynical business/marketing move, first and foremost. I doubt anyone claiming this is disputing that.

I sincerely doubt most reasonable people will be making any connections between Advance Wars to the Ukrainian/Russian war right now, let alone in a month.
Anyone that would be offended by a cartoony fictional war-themed game because of real-life war is either a child or is someone with the mentality of a child.
I don't think anyone's disputing the bolded. There just happen to be a fair number of them in games journalism (and, increasingly, game development). It only takes a few to whip up the twitter mob.

I don't know that this is Nintendo's best move, but they're kind of damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I remember something similar happening to Motorstorm... Apocalypse(?), years before the term "virtue signalling" entered the collective vocabulary. Big earthquake hit, and all of a sudden the game was pushed back so as not to offend. It was probably a dumb move back then too, but, in any case, it isn't a new problem.

Last edited:
Whats with entertainment having to delay stuff due to world circumstance? First BLM and now Ukraine.

Whats with this shit, entertainment is there to…. Entertain us. Despite the awful stuff that happens around the world ALL THE TIME…… like all the time. Lets stop work, school, netflix, sports events because bad stuff is happening……

Its like social media, the politicians and government want us to turn off fun and just focus on shit we cant control….. but when other bad shit happens, we shouldn't care about
Well said. This trend is pathetic. I say shame on Nintendo for this.

th4tguy

This sucks in general but personally I’m ok with it. Gives me time to finish some more of my backlog before it comes out. Haven’t even started triangle strategy yet.

SegaShack

Was that the actual launch date or when you picked it up?
The launch date and when I picked it up.

Edit: Wikipedia claims Sep 10 was the release. I remember in those days Nintendo would list their games' launch day as a Monday but stores wouldn't actually be able to sell them until Tuesday (how my GS manager explained it to me at the time).

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
So the 'Russians' are the enemies in this game? And the goal is to beat them? What is wrong with that? Do the Japanese not want anything said bad about the 'Russians'?

Hah! What the fuck.

What about all the damn call of duty games set in modern times? Like someone said, middle east wars didn't stop any of them from releasing.

This is really really stupid.

Top Bottom