• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's opinion on the horrors of Advance Wars 1 + 2 Re-Boot Camp

Bragr

Banned
"The tonal dissonance between its cheerful art style and the actual subject matter is impossible to ignore."

"You just spend some money to recruit more bodies for the grinder, or manufacture more tanks for the front line. None of the COs seem concerned that war comes at a price."

"But I couldn’t stand to watch these young commanders treat war like a board game, one where only their personal pride mattered. I lost an average of five to eight units per battle, and I felt worse about my losses than any of the characters did."

"By the time I stopped playing, I realized that my CO actually did deserve to be represented as a child. Even the game wants you to know that these characters are all just children playing at war."

advance-wars-1-2-release-hub-release-date.jpg

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am not going to click on the link but I assume this "writer" doesn't play any violent videogames, ever, because if they do this would be a pretty weird spot to take a stand.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Time to add another square to the bingo sheet, I guess: "[irrelevant thing] is impossible to ignore."

"Yikes."
"This ain't it, chief."
"Big oof."
"Let that sink in."
"Impossible to ignore".

In any case, if you insist on reading Kotaku, at least include an archive link to their "articles" so they don't generate revenue from these kinds of threads.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It works, they generate attention and thus probably clicks for their websites. They know as well as every other person that the article is bullshit, but at the end, this shit generates money for them.

I understand and agree with this take, but also raise you the fact that even amongst the elites of virtue signal shitposting in the form of editorials, there exist levels to this bullshit. Kotaku as a business, when it's not posting animated kidxbestiality or getting triggered by holes, creams itself over posting content that, while clearly batshit, you can see how a batshit person would believe or get something from consuming said content.

And on the other end of the scale, you have this horseshit caliber shlock, and you just KNOW that it made some soylent fuckstain on his way to discard his crusty cuck sock in the laundry room whilst his wife's boyfriend does aftercare in the bedroom comment about how much of a pussy the author is. Like, it's the type of shit I'D post on a ballsy day if I was trolling a forum and my shtick was blue haired streamer, but the Left can't meme, so I'm left with the age old occam's razor conclusion of "desperation for content/engagement/revenue/relevance,"

Smarmy chucklefucks like those at Kotaku and super super smug, so if they had a #MeToo story on a scandalous chat log from a dev or something they could dig their heels in and be On The Right Side of History!!! they would lead with that energy. Kotaku is synonymous with punchline now, and it's an opinion that's spread from the Trash fire of free thinker side to the mainstream, because the only time you hear about Kotaku at all anymore is when someone associated does or writes something hilarious. It's great.

Cyberpunkd

I am not going to click on the link but I assume this "writer" doesn't play any violent videogames, ever, because if they do this would be a pretty weird spot to take a stand.
As much as Kotaku is hot thrash the article does have a point. It’s simply a matter of changing sensibilities, since kids were playing with toy soldiers since forever.

SpiceRacz

Time to add another square to the bingo sheet, I guess: "[irrelevant thing] is impossible to ignore."

"Yikes."
"This ain't it, chief."
"Big oof."
"Let that sink in."
"Impossible to ignore".

In any case, if you insist on reading Kotaku, at least include an archive link to their "articles" so they don't generate revenue from these kinds of threads.

"There's a lot to unpack here."

Marvel14

Banned
"The tonal dissonance between its cheerful art style and the actual subject matter is impossible to ignore."

"You just spend some money to recruit more bodies for the grinder, or manufacture more tanks for the front line. None of the COs seem concerned that war comes at a price."

"But I couldn’t stand to watch these young commanders treat war like a board game, one where only their personal pride mattered. I lost an average of five to eight units per battle, and I felt worse about my losses than any of the characters did."

"By the time I stopped playing, I realized that my CO actually did deserve to be represented as a child. Even the game wants you to know that these characters are all just children playing at war."

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

advance-wars-1-2-release-hub-release-date.jpg
If these guys had any sense they'd embrace the satire and become the Monty Python of game reviewers.

Instead they expect us to take this shit seriously.

Ps Self parody reviewer who wrote this should hold a real memorial service for their fallen soldiers if they are that cut up about it...I'm sure most pastors won't tell them to treat death with more respect...😆

Last edited:
Top Bottom