• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Decade Later Mass Effect 2 Remains a Masterpiece - Escapist

Fbh

Yep, game was and still is amazing.
Despite the disappointing ending to the saga, Mass Effect as a whole was amazing. The worlds, races, characters, backstories. It wasn't without flaws but building this big and fairly successful videogame Sci Fi (or Space Fantasy) trilogy felt ambitious like few games that have come out since. And being able to interact with all of these characters and worlds made it all the more memorable.

I'll honestly take my ME2 crew over any Star Wars cast from any era.

4ecbdcb9e27d362fa2593a5d1151e831.jpg

A real shame what happened to Bioware since this came out.

Last edited:

Ascend

If we can learn anything from ME2, it's that people value anecdotes more than anything else. Both ME1 and ME3 do so many more things in a superior manner, but, because ME2 had nice moments with side characters (yes, the majority of your crew are side characters), people regard it as the best game in the trilogy, despite all the absurdities the game provides. The value of anecdotes is so high, that even the flaws were turned into memes that work for the popularity of the game rather than against it.

Firstly, anything that does not move the main plot forward is a side element, be it a side quest, side mission or side character. Taking ME2 as an example, the plot is stopping the collectors from abducting humans. Whatever action you take that improves survival rates of your crew or whatever are nice to haves, but not relevant in terms of plot.

That would mean that Mordin is a main plot character, because without him, it wouldn't be possible to be invisible to the swarms, and Horizon wouldn't happen. He was vital to the progression of the story. His loyalty mission is a side quest though, just like all loyalty missions.
Miranda would be a main plot character since she brought you back I guess, but technically it wasn't required for her to be a squad mate. Still, she's a main character.
Jacob is an introduction to Cerberus, nothing Miranda wouldn't be able to do, so, he's currently a plot character technically, but an unnecessary one and functions more as a side character.
Garrus is a side character.
Grunt is a side character.
Jack is a side character.
Samara is a side character.
Tali is a side character.
Thane is a side character.
Legion is a side character.
All DLC characters are side characters.
EDI is more important than the majority of your squad mates... And so is TIM.

People love to say that the ME1 characters were bland and shallow, but they had a clear purpose to the main plot.

Ashley/Kaiden serve as the trigger for getting the vision from the beacon.
Tali serves as evidence to show Saren is guilty and to allow you to pursue him.
Liara serves as an expert on the Protheans to help you decipher and interpret the visions from the beacons.
Garrus, even though he doesn't forward the plot, functions as the embodiment of frustration towards the council and C-sec regarding the Saren investigation, i.e. frustration towards stagnation of the plot.

Wrex is arguably the only one without a clear influence on the plot, other than the conflict on Virmire, where his role of supporting you temporarily turns into stagnating you. And funnily enough, he's considered the deepest one in ME1. Because the anecdotal experience with Wrex is a lot more valuable than the actual real value of forwarding the main plot that the other characters provided. Funny how that works.

I still maintain the perspective that the downward spiral of Mass Effect started with ME2. It got accelerated because of the high praise despite the many flaws in many areas that did not and still do not receive criticism. The downfall of Andromeda in particular was trying to structure the game as ME2, making it more open and fail to deliver high quality characters. There was no delivery of the necessary anecdotes for people to value the experience, and this time, the memes worked against the game rather than for it.

The infinite praise of the flawed game that is ME2 needs to die already. Let's start praising something else, like, this;

www.usgamer.net/articles/mass-effect-3-deserves-to-be-remembered-for-more-than-its-ending

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Definitely a masterpiece.

Those characters. That voice acting. That writing! All so fucking good. I still remember the entire cast and I haven’t touched the game in 10 years.

Karak

If we can learn anything from ME2, it's that people value anecdotes more than anything else. Both ME1 and ME3 do so many more things in a superior manner, but, because ME2 had nice moments with side characters (yes, the majority of your crew are side characters), people regard it as the best game in the trilogy, despite all the absurdities the game provides. The value of anecdotes is so high, that even the flaws were turned into memes that work for the popularity of the game rather than against it.

Firstly, anything that does not move the main plot forward is a side element, be it a side quest, side mission or side character. Taking ME2 as an example, the plot is stopping the collectors from abducting humans. Whatever action you take that improves survival rates of your crew or whatever are nice to haves, but not relevant in terms of plot.

That would mean that Mordin is a main plot character, because without him, it wouldn't be possible to be invisible to the swarms, and Horizon wouldn't happen. He was vital to the progression of the story. His loyalty mission is a side quest though, just like all loyalty missions.
Miranda would be a main plot character since she brought you back I guess, but technically it wasn't required for her to be a squad mate. Still, she's a main character.
Jacob is an introduction to Cerberus, nothing Miranda wouldn't be able to do, so, he's currently a plot character technically, but an unnecessary one and functions more as a side character.
Garrus is a side character.
Grunt is a side character.
Jack is a side character.
Samara is a side character.
Tali is a side character.
Thane is a side character.
Legion is a side character.
All DLC characters are side characters.
EDI is more important than the majority of your squad mates... And so is TIM.

People love to say that the ME1 characters were bland and shallow, but they had a clear purpose to the main plot.

Ashley/Kaiden serve as the trigger for getting the vision from the beacon.
Tali serves as evidence to show Saren is guilty and to allow you to pursue him.
Liara serves as an expert on the Protheans to help you decipher and interpret the visions from the beacons.
Garrus, even though he doesn't forward the plot, functions as the embodiment of frustration towards the council and C-sec regarding the Saren investigation, i.e. frustration towards stagnation of the plot.

Wrex is arguably the only one without a clear influence on the plot, other than the conflict on Virmire, where his role of supporting you temporarily turns into stagnating you. And funnily enough, he's considered the deepest one in ME1. Because the anecdotal experience with Wrex is a lot more valuable than the actual real value of forwarding the main plot that the other characters provided. Funny how that works.

I still maintain the perspective that the downward spiral of Mass Effect started with ME2. It got accelerated because of the high praise despite the many flaws in many areas that did not and still do not receive criticism. The downfall of Andromeda in particular was trying to structure the game as ME2, making it more open and fail to deliver high quality characters. There was no delivery of the necessary anecdotes for people to value the experience, and this time, the memes worked against the game rather than for it.

The infinite praise of the flawed game that is ME2 needs to die already. Let's start praising something else, like, this;

www.usgamer.net/articles/mass-effect-3-deserves-to-be-remembered-for-more-than-its-ending
I would have to agree. Nothing about ME2 screams masterpiece to me or even close but you did hit a bit of a nail on the head there with the idea of the "anecdotes"

Arkam

one of the most solid, polished games i've ever played. easily in my top 10 of all time. easily.

Loved me some ME2! Played it through with each class type with each gender. Game is epic.... but FAR from polished. SO MANY BUGS! Especially as an Adept. Were a few levels you could easily get out side the world geometry.

despite being full of bugs it was one of the best games of the generation.

adamosmaki

Never really liked ME2 that much. Solid game a bit boring and more of an action game than an RPG
Mass Effect 1 imo was a much better game and that includes the story and gameplay

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Probably the best sci-fi game I ever played. It was Star Control but without space fights with ground exploration and "dungeons" instead. It was perfect.

Shame after ME2 the story went south.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
2 was the best. They almost forgot about the stupid Reaper plot, and instead it was just about the characters and Shepard being badass as fuck. So many memorable lines.

MEH

I woould a lot of things I don't even know about, if we would get "Alpha Effect" : D

This is all soooo whatever generation came after me. I mean, Mass Effect 2 being in top ten lists? For me, for me myself, that's wacky. You have to really buy in to what's happening to put something in a top ten list, and I'm not sure Mass Effect 2, a sequel sandwiched between a raw dream and a merchandising nightmare, was a big enough deal for that. Yes to me it just wasn't such a big deal. Especially considering what's come since.

I can't listen to the escapist video because i left my earphones at home, fie! But what i can do is offer a brief, structureless essay on my relationship to ME2.

Mass Effect was a brave, at least partially polished series, and ME2 was the high point, but in the long run, for me, breakthroughs in all of the genres involved in the games were made elsewhere. Which undercuts the game's epoch-defining credentials.

If i wish to think of an epic RPG in the Bioware mould, I must have half a dozen earlier offerings to choose from that are longer, harder, more rewarding and more complex. I'm going to reference the obvious KOTOR. If I'm trying to think of a great Sci-Fi shooter, I've got Half Life 2, could even have Halo CE in there.

If i want to find games with better levels, the list is obviously huge. If i don't want to be weirded out by a cgi Miranda Kerr who suffers from the dreaded "dropped bottom" syndrome, i need only exit the application.

Looking back, my game experience timeline sees ME2 being utterly eclipsed by Deus Ex: HR (to this day my second favourite game OAT) Skyrim, Empire: Total War and the last clutch of good Football Manager games. No such eclipse exists for Halo*, KOTOR, Baldur's Gate 2, etc.

Mass Effect as a series did heaps for gaming, bringing Bioware RPG style to a wider audience and saying a lot about cinematic gaming and memorable characters, but to me none of these games occupy slots anywhere near consideration for incision in my Top Ten List.

Now i am aware that this whole post is probably just a hipster "You think that's cool, wait until you see what i discovered years earlier" rant, but i mean what do we have but our opinions? Flawed and myopic as they may be~ i plan to make a thread about this kind of stuff when i become a member...

*Halo is probably the reason i mentioned generations at the start of this post. For me, the industry shaking, graphically beguiling, ground breaking and very fun Sci-Fi shooter was Halo. Doubtless simply because i was the age that i was when it came out.

Ascend

Probably the best sci-fi game I ever played. It was Star Control but without space fights with ground exploration and "dungeons" instead. It was perfect.

Shame after ME2 the story went south.
The story went south with ME2. ME2 improved three things mainly... The characters, the graphics and the gameplay. All the rest is inferior. The ones that played ME2 first (which is most likely the majority) ultimately feel that that is the best game of the franchise. But... For most people that played and finished ME1 first, ME2 felt like a regression, despite the improvements.

Justin9mm

To this day I still don't understand how they managed to butcher the series.

Mass Effect 3 is like ok not too bad.. Andromeda was like what the fuck is this shit!

Kev Kev

Loved me some ME2! Played it through with each class type with each gender. Game is epic.... but FAR from polished. SO MANY BUGS! Especially as an Adept. Were a few levels you could easily get out side the world geometry.

despite being full of bugs it was one of the best games of the generation.
i dont remember many bugs

DW74

If ME1 would be given 3’s engine, I’d handily place it in my top 5 games ever made.

The first game was so much better when it came to atmosphere and mood. And that had everything to do with the lighting, the pacing, and the music. So many people, too many people, leave out the music when they talk about these games.

It was exactly what they were going after: a b-level sci-fi movie you’d watch on some rainy Saturday afternoon in the 80s.

But don’t misunderstand me. I’m certainly not dismissing 2. It got a lot of things right.

Last edited:
Reactions: RSB

mcz117chief

The problem with the 3rd Mass Effect is not the ending, it never really was. The REAL problem with Mass Effect is the Arrival DLC and the BEGINNING of Mass Effect 3 when Reapers are shown to have no need for the Citadel relay, and more than that, they COMPLETELY ignore the Citadel until the very last moment of the 3rd game and even then they never shut down the relays. These two (Arrival and ME3's beginning) completely shit on the entire premise and threat established in the 1st game which was: the moment Reapers enter the Galaxy it is over. Instead of coming up with a clever plan to prevent the Reapers from coming or "trap them in dark space" we are given a stupid "hurr, let's bring guns and shoot the bad guys" story. Which is a huge shame really, it could have been a truly mature Sci-fi and the first one really got the right foot in the door but it turned into yet another power fantasy about a dude shooting all the alien bad guys in the head, Shepard practically becomes Duke Nukem without the 80s-90s jokes in ME3.

Kev Kev

To this day I still don't understand how they managed to butcher the series.

Mass Effect 3 is like ok not too bad.. Andromeda was like what the fuck is this shit!

yeah i agree with this

at least three, as far as i can remember, they tied up a lot fo the storylines. some that started with whatever you were doing with your characters since ME1. so that was cool. but i remember it just being a pretty big step backwards in a lot of ways. it just didnt feel tight like ME2 did.

i pretty much tapped out after that and never even tried andromeda. sounds like i made a good choice, as unfortunate as it all is

It is the MGS4 of the franchise: everyone praises all the cutscenes and the "characterization" but it was an objective step down when it came to game mechanics, RPG flexibility, and exploration. I was hoping for a sequel to Mass Effect 1 with more worlds, better exploration, etc but instead we got Mass Effect 2.

The latter third of the game felt rushed and that "boss"... yeah. Not a masterpiece.

Kev Kev

It is the MGS4 of the franchise: everyone praises all the cutscenes and the "characterization" but it was an objective step down when it came to game mechanics, RPG flexibility, and exploration. I was hoping for a sequel to Mass Effect 1 with more worlds, better exploration, etc but instead we got Mass Effect 2.

The latter third of the game felt rushed and that "boss"... yeah. Not a masterpiece.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom