• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Writer Mac Walters Leaves BioWare After Nearly Two Decades

mdkirby

Weird, I thought the lead mass effect writers quit years ago and the green lighting of mass effect 4 brought a lot of the old team back.

But they now have the writer behind deus ex, so I think they’ll be fine.

Robochobo

ME2 and 3 had good writing

Andromeda however was written and produced by spastics.

Too bad.
Fv3aTVS.jpg

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Oh christ I had mind blanked Kai Leng because of how unimportant and edgy he was. Like some fan fiction anime self insert character.

Honestly was this not part of some competition that a fan got to create a character and some 11 year old Naruto fan won?

Madflavor

Back in the day, Mac Walters was known on the Bioware forums as Mac "The Hack" Walters. They guy was responsible for the low points of the story in ME3.

Intro mission on Earth? That was Mac.
Kai Leng? That was Mac.
Thessia Mission? That was Mac.
Mars? Mac.
Final mission on Earth? Mac.
The endings? Mac and Casey.

The guy was a good character writer, as he's mainly responsible for Garrus and Liara, so credit where it's due. But as writer for an overall narrative, and a leader? He sucked fucking dick.

ME2 and 3 had good writing

Andromeda however was written and produced by spastics.

Too bad.

ME3 certainly had good writing, particularly with the Rannoch and Tuchanka storylines which writer Patrick Weekes was mainly responsible for. But overall? No ME3 did not have good writing. It wasn't just the endings. Right from the start of the game the writing went to the fucking toilet. When Commander Shepard of all people needs to be told that we can't fight the Reapers conventionally on Earth, and he needs to escape and go try to unite the Galaxy, something has gone very wrong with the writing. This guy knows better than any other person in the galaxy how powerful the Reapers were, the countless cycles of civilizations that were destroyed, and his answer to the problem was "We fight or we die!"

I remember when I first played ME3, red flag after red flag after red flag was raising in my mind during that intro. The difference in the quality of the writing between ME1 and ME3 was like watching a delicious T-Bone steak slowly rot and get moldy over time.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Damn, not the news I wanted to hear when I desperately wanted the upcoming Mass Effect 4 to be more like ME2.

Well...since its in development, their role as writer is likely complete on that game.

Its great for them to move on, decades at the same place as a writer is rare since its a contract thing.

edit. I like Andromeda's story better then ME1...=)

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

No, ME2 & 3 have awful and very very very stupid writing.

Mac Walters was nothing more than a long, painfully slow, terminal cancer for this promising IP

Great video, really explains why Mass Effect 3 had little chance of being good.

It seems as if the writers of Mass Effect 2 fell in love their characters and sidequests and had no motivation to advance the main plot at all. This forced ME3 to resolve dozens of dangling plot threads, all while trying to end the main story in a satisfying way.

Way too much put on a single game.

Top Bottom