• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Decade Later Mass Effect 2 Remains a Masterpiece - Escapist

one of the most solid, polished games i've ever played. easily in my top 10 of all time. easily.

I never played the first game, absolutely loved the second, and made it about halfway thru the third (and then Fuck Andromeda)

I have them all in my Origin Vault, been meaning to play through the trilogy on PC.

ME2 was probably my game of last gen. I loved all the characters, the choices, the combat, the hook ups.

played it on PS3, wonder how it holds up on PC

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
played it on PS3, wonder how it holds up on PC

PC is the way to play the trilogy nowadays. 60FPS, 1080P+ resolution, + there's a ME2 mod that lets you skip the hacking minigames.

People get put off by mouse/keyboard because they think every third person game needs to be played with a controller. And its like why, playing with kb+m is extremely comfy. But there is a mod for that too so no excuse.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Solid game.

But linear, and canned leveling up options. ME 1 seemed to have more ability and ammo options.

Probably among the most skewed to action for an action-RPG game. Like 95% action/5% RPG.

But also among the best game engine improvements I can remember. ME 2 ran so much better than ME 1 on 360 it would like night and day.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Final boss was so dumb I paused the game to let it all sink in.

The Reapers’ big plan was to build the Contra III robot. Great job!
Oh ya.

I don't care much for story in games, but my final boss fight was incredibly stupid too.

It was bugged. So my character was able to glitch into a piece of concrete cover (I think there were big solid brick/concrete cover slabs everywhere if I remember correctly), so the boss couldn't hurt me. I just spammed big battle rifle shots and killed it.

I was like WTF?

Last edited:
For my tastes, they focused on all the wrong things to upgrade in the sequel and polished away a lot of what made the first one interesting. So, disappointing after the ME1, but still very, very good.
Yes, fully agree. It got rid of almost everything that made the first game interesting and turned it into yet another cover shooter.

As soon as I got a clip in game and had to reload my gun I knew they made something I didn't want. And that happens like 5 minutes into the game lol

Codes 208

Easily the best of the series for me. The first game felt too damn clunky and i had a hard time taking interest but ME2 felt like a decent mix of rpg and gears that sit just right with me. Plus the story was amazing. ME3 was more action oriented (kinda like going from dead space 2 to 3, 2 had a good balance whereas 3 just kinda goes overboard)
And ultimately ended with one of the most anti-climactic and disappointing endings if a trilogy for me.

andromeda was just buggy, wet stinky garbage.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
I have played Mass Effect trilogy for the first time lately. All games are very good however I was overwhelmed at first. I had to spend something like 5 hours in order to finally understand how I need to play this game, use my equipment, weapons and biotic powers etc. If someone knows already how to play these games, he will enjoy it very much. Now I'm playing entire series for a 2'nd time and I still enjoy it.

ME2 was easier and more casual friendly, ME3 was the same but compared to ME2 game felt somewheat rushed. There are strange bugs that should be not there (if you will not do certain missions in correct order you will never complete them although there will be still active), unnecessary changes that made game a little bit worse compared to ME2 (weapons customisations, less detailed quest instructions).

I only wish PC ports were more polished. Mouse acceleration is turned on by default and it ruins the whole experience. I had to use different programs and tweak game files in order to finally turn it off. Also there's no official gamepad support (I have tried mods, but there are problems with them that arnt present on xbox360). There are also HUD scaling problems in higher resolutions. I really think Mass Effect trilogy need remasters, because these games are amazing when everything works as it should.

BTW. DLC prices for these games are ridiculous. DLC for one game cost more than entire trilogy 😂.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Solid game.

But linear, and canned leveling up options. ME 1 seemed to have more ability and ammo options.

Probably among the most skewed to action for an action-RPG game. Like 95% action/5% RPG.

But also among the best game engine improvements I can remember. ME 2 ran so much better than ME 1 on 360 it would like night and day.
I have never seen console game running that bad. Constant pauses, stuttering, and fps during combat can sometimes dip to literally 3-10fps. But as strange as it sounds xbox 360 version is still playabe. Aiming in this game feels responsive even at really low framerate.

MS2 and MS3 have much improved performance and there are no streaming pauses, however fps can still dip in very populated areas (but not during combat).

PC versions are prefered, but still have their own problems.

2 was the worst one. Pointless intro, story and enemy. Stupid decision to not allow powers to target certain colours of shield, rather than the power being less effective.

Carna

Banned
I hate this game, and I hate anything Bioware that has to do with EA (unless if it's SWTOR)

SleepDoctor

Banned
2 was the best. They almost forgot about the stupid Reaper plot, and instead it was just about the characters and Shepard being badass as fuck. So many memorable lines.

There was this one thing (i don't it'd be considered a side quest) that i never forgot. There was a bartender alien that hated humans and he poisoned me.

When i woke up in the bathroom all fuckedi went back to him and asked him to serve me another. Only this this i drew my gun and made him drink and he died lol. Felt great doing that 🤣🤣🤣

pawel86ck

Banned
PC is the way to play the trilogy nowadays. 60FPS, 1080P+ resolution, + there's a ME2 mod that lets you skip the hacking minigames.

People get put off by mouse/keyboard because they think every third person game needs to be played with a controller. And its like why, playing with kb+m is extremely comfy. But there is a mod for that too so no excuse.
During my first playthrough I have played ME2 on PC (60fps, higher resolution mods, and M+K) however I'm playing x360 version right now and I enjoy it even more. IMO Combat in Mass Effect is more rewarding and fun on gamepad (game was clearly made with gamepad in mind). I wish PC version would feature a proper gamepad support (existing gamepad mod is far from good).

Also 720p on my old plasma TV looks more pleasing to my eyes than 1440p on my PC screen. There is HUGE difference in black levels, contrast, colors and even perceived sharpness looks good even at 720p. There's no way I'm buying another LCD monitor in the future.

Ascend

I love all games in the trilogy, but, ME2 is overhyped. It is the most polished of the three, has the most fleshed out characters and it arguably has the best DLCs. But other than that, ME1 did both the conversations better (apart from interrupts) and main plot/story better. ME3 did weapons better (variety, leveling and mods), skill trees better, and combat better... And one of the most dreadful mechanics of the trilogy is planet scanning.

eot

Banned
Horrible combat and awful loot/gear. For me, it was a step back from 1.
Dafuq

For me, ME2 has the best combat in the series. ME1 is broken as fuck, biotics especially. ME2 is more interesting because you actually have to think a bit more about which powers to use, how to synergize with your squad mates etc. In ME3 they dumbed it down, even on Insanity basic enemies like Husks don't have any armor, and if you play as an Adept you can make your cooldown so short that there's no point in ever using a weapon, you can just spam powers. Maybe the mechanics are more well suited to the MP, which I know people loved, but in the SP I think ME2's combat is better.

I loved it back in the day even if it was streamlined as fuck. Good cast but the whole games overall plot is incredibly thin, gather a squad to go on a suicide mission. Is that it? Also I wish we could have gotten Legion earlier... 😭😭

I repped it back in the early 2010s but as I played more RPGs the writing overall is serviceable but average like most BioWare games.

Carna

Banned
You're trolling right? You hate all the amazing Bioware classics including KOTOR but SWTOR is fine? Lmao what the fuck?
Clarification: I dislike anything Bioware has done SINCE they were bought out by EA. I love their previous work BEFORE they were bought out by EA

Vawn

Banned
I feel like I'm the only person who thought ME2 was the weakest entry in the trilogy (but still good).

ME1 was my favorite. It had the best pacing, story and I liked the RPG elements more. Plus, it ended on a cliffhanger that had me super excited for more.

ME2 seemed to put the whole saga of Reapers on hold for just a bunch of character missions and team building. And the end boss was just ridiculously dumb.

ME3 was exciting from the start. It ended badly, but even that wasn't enough to kill the other 90% of the game for me.

Last edited:
The music, characters, voice acting, story, atmosphere, and action. One of the greatest achievements in entertainment history, not just gaming.

Ascend

I feel like I'm the only person who thought ME2 was the weakest entry in the trilogy (but still good).

ME1 was my favorite. It had the bear pacing, story and I liked the RPG elements more. Plus, it ended on a cliffhanger that had me super excited for more.

ME2 seemed to put the whole saga of Reapers on hold for just a bunch of character missions and team building. And the end boss was just ridiculously dumb.

ME3 was exciting from the start. It ended badly, but even that wasn't enough to kill the other 90% of the game for me.
I fully agree with you. So you're not alone.

mcz117chief

I re-played the games recently. Blew through the 1st one and loved it to death and I was super pumped for the 2nd since I always thought it was better. But once I actually started it it just didn't feel nearly as good and dropped it in a few hours. Lol at the 3rd, aside from multiplayer and Javik it is trash. First one has such amazing lore and exploration aspect that I can't think of any other sci-fi that has it on the same level (not even Star Trek). The combination of music, discovering tiny bits of info about the Prometheans and the Reaper threat, it just creates this amazing atmosphere. You feel so small but significant at the same time.

Metnut

Really love the lore, all the codex entries, and characters in this game. Gameplay was really improved from ME1 even if the story took a small step back.

People wonder why BioWare keeps getting more chances. When you go on a run and release ME1, Dragon Age: Inquisition and ME2 in succession, we’re all going to hope that they can figure things out. Of course, every time we get crap like Anthem the distance between us and good BioWare gets a little bit bigger.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I love all games in the trilogy, but, ME2 is overhyped. It is the most polished of the three, has the most fleshed out characters and it arguably has the best DLCs.

Arguably is right. I'll have to say 3 has the best DLCs.

Overlord
Kasumi
Shadow Broker
Misc little stuff like Zaed and Arrival
-vs-
From the Ashes (shoulda been in main game)
Leviathan (shoulda been in main game)
Omega
Citadel
Tons of free multiplayer maps and characters. Even a new Collector enemy pack.

ME1 was my favorite. It had the bear pacing, story and I liked the RPG elements more. Plus, it ended on a cliffhanger that had me super excited for more.

I agree with you.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Mass Effect 2 is the Resident Evil 4 of the franchise.
It pushed the series forward while simultaneously driving a knife to its kidneys.
  • Mass Effect: The best in the franchise and the last good RPG Bioware ever made.
  • Mass Effect 2: A solid third person shooter that eschewed RPG gameplay in lieu of Gears of War style combat.
  • Mass Effect 3: It brought back some of the role playing carved out by the second game while steering even further into shooting gallery banality.
TL-DR: Play the first game and leave it at that.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I enjoyed my time with it, but I think it gets overpraised. Great build-up for the most part, but once you got through the gate the end fight was goofy as fuck. Human shaped reaper? butwhy.gif (Abject lack of different looking Reapers in ME3 didn't help matters either). Also, the dumbing down of the weapon types/inventory was a mistake. ME3 was better in that regard as well as the combat.

Top Bottom