• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A case against "Breath of the wild" has bad music

Keihart

The music is really good and the way it was implemented was very fitting, so much so that i would find myself wistling it after playing the game sometimes.
There are several thematic tracks that train you to expect them on different situations, i also really like that despite the tracks having strong melodies they feel very moody and never become just background noise as many western games OSTs do usually.

LavosBit

Neo Member
A lot of music in BotW sounds like the incidental shit they play on the Weather Channel. Like, that one short piano tune that kicks in briefly and randomly feels like it should be accompanied by the 5-day forecast.

Yumi

I think there is a discussion to be had here, but posting the music doesn’t really start a conversation. People who don’t like the music have already heard it and there’s no reason for them to listen to it again.

Personally I thought it fit with the world well, but I could have definitely used some more “earworms”. I think they could have kept it sparse and still had some music with catchy melodies.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
“Breath of the Wild has bad music” is a moronic take. Ridiculing the take is what you do, not try to prove a pretty open and close case.

The game having sparse music instead of the usual Zelda earworms is just part of the game’s masterful sound design.
The game has music where it needs it, and it plays just as needed. There‘s actually a ton of music tracks in the game, just check any complete music rip of it and see for yourself. But it’s not meant to intrude. Nintendo’s sound designers know their shit.

If people think stuff like the Elden Ring soundtrack with its offensive banality is what a game in this genre should aspire to, so be it. Most of ER manages to make Hans Zimmer sound original.

Rat Rage

Summary of what happend to OP :

giphy.gif

K2D

Banned
The real issue is which ~5 melodies you hear the most, and why exactly they are so prevalent. Not really an issue with the music, but the structure of the game.

ParaSeoul

They look at it, look at RDR2, Elden Ring, HZD and realize they look silly saying BOTW is the better open world so they need to point out ever minute detail like the music and how the grass catches fire.
RDR 2 also went for that more ambient music in the open world and its way more memorable than whats in BOTW

Y0ssarian

Banned
I think your threads would do better on /v/

For what it's worth, I don't remember much of the music of BotW, but the music in Age of Calamity is great

BlackTron

BOTW does not have bad music.

You just only spend about 10% of the game listening to the music that's in there.

For me, this was just yet another of the games many misfires that made it more of a really awesome Zelda proof-of-concept demo than a Zelda game.

Top Bottom