• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A case against "Breath of the wild" has bad music

Ezquimacore

Banned
1. Classic Zelda dungeon theme

2.Desert Camel

3. Desert killer worm

4. Hyrule's Six flag park

5. When you're tired as fuck and just wanna take a shit, eat something and go to sleep

6.How many times do we have to teach this lesson old man part. 1

7.How many times do we have to teach this lesson old man part. 2

8. Feminist town

9. Desert Mami

10. Zelda's bad father

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Did anyone say it had bad music? Maybe a bit sparse in some areas but bad?

That’s one attribute of BotW I think is inarguably good and if you don’t like the music you have poor taste. The rest of the game design is pretty subjective but the music is awesome

Kuranghi

I love the new music and way its presented and the feeling it creates, I definitely think it would have been maddening for me to hear the main field themes for 100s of hours, but I also love the old music and the repetition and cosiness of it. You don't spend 300+ hours of those games though so it works.

Didn’t know this was a vociferous argument.

None of it is so terrible as to be painful, but only the staple medleys are what I recall. And the rapid, high shrill encounter threat music that plays.

kunonabi

It's not that the music is bad it's that like the rest of the game it never really peaks. The bird village is a perfect example because the music starts to swell and you think finally but then it just doesn't. The one time it does peak it does it at the wrong time.

It's just so oddly put together.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
My problem wasn't with the quality of the music (it was pretty good when it's there), but with the absence of it...
This is where most of the criticisms were!

For me it’s welcome that we don’t get blaring music throughout every area, BoTW relied a lot on the environmental effects. The music picks up or get loud when entering new areas and special encounters!

Hardensoul

Gold Member
I love the new music and way its presented and the feeling it creates, I definitely think it would have been maddening for me to hear the main field themes for 100s of hours, but I also love the old music and the repetition and cosiness of it. You don't spend 300+ hours of those games though so it works.
Yea, I put nearly 700hrs. Loved the atmosphere it created. It was a welcomed changed for me!

StormCell

GAF, look forward to my thread coming later today titled "A case against Murder is Actually Good" arguing against absolutely no one with two functioning brain cells.

Now, some people here on GAF have terrible takes. Fine. So be it. BotW is still one of the very best games ever made. I think it is literally the best game ever made. It's not perfect. Plenty of room for improvement. The music in this game is on par with the rest of the series. It's tough to maintain such a high bar with games such as LttP, OoT, and WW being among the very best soundtracks ever, and I don't even mean to slight games like Twilight Princess which also have some of the best scores ever. It's just ridiculous. BotW has some very memorable music too, and particularly in this instance they have masterfully utilized 'emptiness' where some secrets and some things would have otherwise been overridden by a constant overworld theme. Some people seize this emptiness as an opportunity to rag, but Nintendo delivered an overall masterpiece, complainers be silenced.

Can't say that I've ever heard anyone claim that BotW had bad music, though. I've heard people complain that the world is large and empty, but then so is the space between their ears.

theres not enough of it and it was a lot less memorable than previous zelda games. all the shrines and stables had the same music too. its not just zelda either. same thing happened with uncharted, metal gear solid, AC etc... they have worse music in the later games than they do the older ones because they changed composers.

Codes 208

BotW has music?

Hyperbole but seriously, I can only remember a couple of the jingles like "an enemy spotted you" or "cooking complete". I know there's music, I just can't remember it.
The night horse theme being a rendition of epona’s song was a nice touch.
Kass’s full theme bing the classic zelda theme on accordion was amazing. And the divine beast vah ruta fight theme was an excellent theme hitting the vibes of classic zelda.
And dont even get me started on just how hype the trailer music was (the date release trailer, not believers from the launch trailer) hell the track was so nice, it was reused in smash bros ultimate.

i would personally take many other zelda tracks over botw’s but botw still has a decent amount of bangers

Last edited:

Doom85

The music was decent but I mean this was the same year that I heard the music from Nier Automata and Persona 5. I’m not going to keep merely decent music in my memory after music juggernauts like that.

ChazAshley

Gold Member
My face when I first misread the title and thought you said botw had bad music.

3ltKPXI.jpg

But then my face when I reread it and realized what this thread is actually about.

3ltKPXI.jpg

(Zelda botw music was good.)

Fbh

BotW doesn't have bad music. No track stands out for being bad or for not fitting the mood.
BotW had forgettable music. I spent around 100 hours in that game and I can't remember a single track while I still remember songs from previous entries I just played through once over a decade ago.

That's partially due to the music itself being used very sparingly, partially because most tracks seem designed to just be in the background without standing out, as well as the game lacking some sort of big bombastic main theme.

The closest thing it has to a memorable main theme was the music from the launch trailer:

Which isn't in the game.

If this was a PlayStation thread everyone would be sucking everyone's dicks, that's a fact of NeoGAF.

Ah, yes. Neogaf, that notorious Sony fanboy forum that voted Halo Infinite as Goty 2021 with Forza Horizon 5 as the runner up.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
11. He's sonic the hedgehog now

12. Shenron

13. Mysterious and spooky

14. 🔥🔥🔥

15.🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

I mean I thought the soundtrack did an alright job for Ubisoft of the Wild, it really brought home those stunning moments when I was climbing an ubisoft tower so that I could get generic map markers to appear on my map. Or when I was collecting Assassin Creed feath... sorry I meant Korok Seeds.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
1. Make thread clearly defending game (from invisible members)
2. Thread backfires
3. Claim you're not defending game
4. Blame Playstation & Xbox
5. Get Banned
6. ????
7. Profit?

Topher

Gold Member
Who TF is defending the game, I'm making a post about good music from botw and as always it attracts people bitching.

No, you are defending the game against those who, apparently, say the game has "bad music". I mean......it is literally your damn thread title, dude.

"A case against "Breath of the wild" has bad music"

If this was a PlayStation thread everyone would be sucking everyone's dicks, that's a fact of NeoGAF.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

fart town usa

Gold Member
BOTW is simultaneously amazing and a complete and total slog.

The music is great when it's there, a lot of times it isn't.

I 100% agree with the praise and criticism that BOTW gets. Both camps are completely valid IMO.

Kass' 'A Song of Storms' was my personal favorite. I'd talk to him numerous times just to hear it. So melancholic yet super melodic. Great stuff. It's cued up below.

Top Bottom