• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80% in America believe in God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
One thing I’ve found arguing back with my tribe/kin (Mormons) is that they continually cite evidence for their position which can so much more easily be explained by ordinary, normal stuff. And that works for all sorts of fantastical claims.

It’s like “OMG can you believe this bible fanfiction has the same traits as some Hebrew texts?!”

Yeah, it’s trying to mimic the English translation of them…

“Or that means it’s from GOD!”

😐

Aggrotek

I am an agnostic. I grew up in a Christian home but I could never reconcile my mind with the supernatural aspects of the stories of the Bible. I do however feel that I can never truly rule out the absence of some sort of creator.

lukilladog

Evolution

All of the small changes that produce new species (by accumulation over time) are biological, which is natural by definition, no gap for gods there. Now you might say that it´s a tool or phenomena used by god with the purpose of creating man... which seems to be an appeal to human species exceptionalism. But anyway, we know evolution is clearly unguided, and a mighty source of evil, it has caused the suffering and extinction of 99% of species in Earth´s history, or nasty virus for example. Evolution is actually a powerful argument against an all good, all loving, all powerful god.

I_D

how did the ear develop from nothing?

Can you define "From nothing?"

The ear has a very explainable and trackable history. What's the "nothing" you're talking about?

Evolution is very special.

By what metric?
Evolution has occurred for every single living thing on this planet, and it has occurred for billions of years.

Which part is the special part?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I am an agnostic. I grew up in a Christian home but I could never reconcile my mind with the supernatural aspects of the stories of the Bible. I do however feel that I can never truly rule out the absence of some sort of creator.
That's the unfalsifiable part of it. You can't prove it doesn't exist, for better or worse.

Over the years I've condensed the entire debate/argument down to one statement:

I have never had or been given reason to believe in the existence of any deity or other supernatural being or occurrence.

That's it, that's all there really is to it at the end of the day. Some have the capacity for religious faith and the want/need for their chosen mythology to be true, but I lack any of that.

That falls as agnostic atheism, but to some people that implies I care enough to give it a label and have it represent any part of me. I live my life as if the concept isn't a thing, it's not a rejection because it's not the default.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
how did the ear develop from nothing?

Mate, I’m not going to bother wasting my time after this trying to talk you around on anything. You’re so far down the rabbit hole, there’s not a damn thing any of us can say on here to break you of your indoctrination. Asking this kind of question proves that.

You clearly don’t know how evolution functions as a scientific reality. I’ll blame that on a lack of education, rather than any deliberate agenda on your part.

Hopefully, there might be some other religious folks who have read through this thread, and are questioning the things they’ve been told to believe. They might listen some of the points raised, and help them move them towards leaving their destructive religious belief behind.

Also Darwin did not bloody believe in god 😂 He was heavily agnostic, and no doubt would have been atheist if not born into a very religious society.

Last edited:
Deist

Very scientific and logical response. Other responses are the same. Explains the 20%..

nope, agnostic:

https://www.darwinproject.ac.uk/letter/DCP-LETT-12041.xml

and it's not my job to educate you on evolution or biology (whoever had that job, failed you) and by saying "deist" have proven you're not able to even google the most basic facts about Darwin, so a "scientific and logical response" is a waste of time for someone that cannot make the most flaccid of effort in engaging in good faith

Darwin was also a racist. Here is the original title of his book that put him on the map:

On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life (The Library of Congress)

Doesn't change that Darwin was a brilliant man with vices.

edited

he probably was racist, being from the 1800s, but that has nothing to do with the title of the book :messenger_tears_of_joy:

check this racism out:

the several races, for instance, of the cabbage, in very poor soil

http://darwin-online.org.uk/content/frameset?itemID=F373&viewtype=text&pageseq=1

also "aboriginal" doesn't mean what you think it does in this context either, before you fart yourself down that road

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Guys... don't you guys find it weird that our ears are shaped in such a way that headphone fit inside?
Like, why did nobody notice that before?

Guys... guys?

uODnW3g.jpg

Checkmate, deists.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

NahaNago

The number doesn't seem that shocking now that I think about it. I swear I drive past a church almost every minute when I'm not on the highway.

Helghan

At first I thought, classic America so many religious people, but then I looked up the situation in Europe it isn't that much better... 70% still believe there is "something".

I do understand the reason and motivation behind spirituality. Religion on the other hand is something I despise.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
At first I thought, classic America so many religious people, but then I looked up the situation in Europe it isn't that much better... 70% still believe there is "something".

While European retains a Christian tradition, it is pretty benign, by and large, when compared to the extremist fundamentalism of the American evangelical movement. The EU is very strictly separated of church and state. It is nowhere near the same situation. Which is kind of why the question ‘do you believe in god?’ is a bit of a useless one.

Last edited:

Vick

Carl Jung (unquantifiable IQ according to Jordan Peterson) controversial statement:

- "Do you believe in God?"

- "All that I have learned has led me step by step to an unshakable conviction of the existence of God. I only believe in what I know. And that eliminates believing. Therefore I do not take his existence on belief – I know that he exists."

(Sands 1955, p. 6)

It would be extremely hypocritical and blatantly blind for me to claim otherwise. And to be entirely honest, even with different personal experiences i would still hold very similar views going by knowledge alone, as the amount of circumstantial evidence (at worst) of "divine" or "extra-terrestrial" cultural and genetic intervention on humans is simply staggering.
The public official scientific position on the genetic portion of these issues is that they can't currently be explained, at least in a different manner than what's claimed in the Old Testament (original, literal version) and basically the entirety of every ancient religion (which, in the end, all tell the same story).
My only suggestion though is to do your own research as this is a truly racist, taboo and ultimately super dangerous topic.

Some last quotes from a man who hacked reality:

"My brain is only a receiver, in the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength and inspiration. I have not penetrated into the secrets of this core, but I know that it exists."

"The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power. My Mother had taught me to seek all truth in the Bible; therefore I devoted the next few months to the study of this work."

"What one man calls God, another calls the laws of physics
."

Nikola Tesla

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Carl Jung (unquantifiable IQ according to Jordan Peterson) controversial statement:

- "Do you believe in God?"

- "All that I have learned has led me step by step to an unshakable conviction of the existence of God. I only believe in what I know. And that eliminates believing. Therefore I do not take his existence on belief – I know that he exists."

(Sands 1955, p. 6)

It would be extremely hypocritical and blatantly blind for me to claim otherwise. And to be entirely honest, even with different personal experiences i would still hold very similar views going by knowledge alone, as the amount of circumstantial evidence (at worst) of "divine" or "extra-terrestrial" cultural and genetic intervention on humans is simply staggering.
The public official scientific position on the genetic portion of these issues is that they can't currently be explained, at least in a different manner than what's claimed in the Old Testament (original, literal version) and basically the entirety of every ancient religion (which, in the end, all tell the same story).
My only suggestion though is to do your own research as this is a truly racist, taboo and ultimately super dangerous topic.

Some last quotes from a man who hacked reality:

"My brain is only a receiver, in the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength and inspiration. I have not penetrated into the secrets of this core, but I know that it exists."

"The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power. My Mother had taught me to seek all truth in the Bible; therefore I devoted the next few months to the study of this work."

"What one man calls God, another calls the laws of physics
."

Nikola Tesla
Some cherry picked quotes some ancient alien mumbo-jumbo and a 'do your own research'. That's a conspiracy bingo.

Amiga

nope, agnostic:

https://www.darwinproject.ac.uk/letter/DCP-LETT-12041.xml

and it's not my job to educate you on evolution or biology (whoever had that job, failed you) and by saying "deist" have proven you're not able to even google the most basic facts about Darwin, so a "scientific and logical response" is a waste of time for someone that cannot make the most flaccid of effort in engaging in good faith

people need to read their own links:
"I may state that my judgment often fluctuates. Moreover whether a man deserves to be called a theist depends on the definition of the term: which is much too large a subject for a note. In my most extreme fluctuations I have never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God"

fluctuations and confliction are normal amongst the majority of man, otherwise all believers would be saints.

My point about the ear was It is not logical the mechanism could develop from one point where there was nothingness, including no awareness and no deliberate will, to a point an organism recognizes external sound and develops a sophisticated mechanism to process it and have the information sync with other ear.

Vick

Some cherry picked quotes some ancient alien mumbo-jumbo and a 'do your own research'. That's a conspiracy bingo.
It's not in my interest to get banned for the sake of this discussion, and not even sure how beneficial it would be to someone ready to cry "conspiracy" at first sight of challenging statements, but some people cannot be cloned. If you're really interested find what they all have in common and start from there.

poppabk

people need to read their own links:
"I may state that my judgment often fluctuates. Moreover whether a man deserves to be called a theist depends on the definition of the term: which is much too large a subject for a note. In my most extreme fluctuations I have never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God"

fluctuations and confliction are normal amongst the majority of man, otherwise all believers would be saints.

My point about the ear was It is not logical the mechanism could develop from one point where there was nothingness, including no awareness and no deliberate will, to a point an organism recognizes external sound and develops a sophisticated mechanism to process it and have the information sync with other ear.
You didn't even read what you wrote! Atheist is not agnostic.

poppabk

It's not in my interest to get banned for the sake of this discussion, and not even sure how beneficial it would be to someone ready to cry "conspiracy" at first sight of challenging statements, but some people cannot be cloned. If you're really interested find what they all have in common and start from there.
Your posts are dripping with thinly veiled crazy. Ancient aliens, unclonable people, dangerous knowledge, proof of ancient DNA editing.

Religion (God) is utilized by the Devil to control everyone.

The real god is extintinct because no one knows it, because they found out you can control people utilizing the practices of the devil.

The ear does not sync with the other ear. It's a receptacle for sound waves (vibrations), your brain does basically all the heavy lifting. Just go and read up on how an ear works. Also before diving straight into human biology I'd recommend something a bit simpler maybe, like phototropism. Also a mechanism so wonderful and sophisticated, from an orgsanism with no awareness or deliberate will. There will be countless examples, doesn't make them illogical because you say so, because you haven't done any work to try and understand them.

93xfan

Banned
There’s an overwhelming amount of evidence for God.

I’d gladly share what I’ve found if anyone is interested. DM me.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
To everyone outside of America this does not surprise us one bit, y'all seem to be about 2 presidents away from a Christian evangelical hellhole that would make Afghanistan a liberal paradise, my mind boggles that so many of you fall for those megachurch scams, how in the holy fuck does a congregation of 10,000 stand with their hands in the air singing about Jesus whilst some Satan looking cunt asks for donations for a new learjet and nobody stops and goes eh!?

Based on recent events I would like to change my post to read 1 president away from a handmaiden's tale wannabe evangelical Christian Hellhole, fuck me it must be terrible to live in a country where the minority of religious fuckwaddles get to dictate your lives..

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
There’s an overwhelming amount of evidence for God.

I’d gladly share what I’ve found if anyone is interested. DM me.

This a joke post? There is zero, like literally zero evidence for a God, in all of human history heck even this planets history there has not been one sign of divine intervention, ain't no magical sky daddy up in the clouds mate, he only resides in your head, but please post up some of this overwhelming evidence not written down in that wee book of yours

93xfan

Banned
This a joke post? There is zero, like literally zero evidence for a God, in all of human history heck even this planets history there has not been one sign of divine intervention, ain't no magical sky daddy up in the clouds mate, he only resides in your head, but please post up some of this overwhelming evidence not written down in that wee book of yours
I think you're conflating evidence with proof.

Example: There is a lot of evidence that suggests O.J. killed his wife. There will always be some who choose to overlook all the evidence as we don't have video of him doing the act.

Example: There is a lot of evidence that suggests O.J. killed his wife. There will always be some who choose to overlook all the evidence as we don't have video of him doing the act.

video is evidence, it's just stronger evidence than some others...that's why there was a trial so that evidence could be weighed up and a verdict reached based on the evidence

let's see your evidence

as a side note, DM me for God Facts is the best thing to come out of this thread btw

93xfan

Banned
Based on recent events I would like to change my post to read 1 president away from a handmaiden's tale wannabe evangelical Christian Hellhole, fuck me it must be terrible to live in a country where the minority of religious fuckwaddles get to dictate your lives..

video is evidence, it's just stronger evidence than some others...that's why there was a trial so that evidence could be weighed up and a verdict reached based on the evidence

let's see your evidence

as a side note, DM me for God Facts is the best thing to come out of this thread btw
I don't want to play a semantics game. It's a waste of our time. I'm pretty sure you can see what I meant.

Anyway, I'd prefer a genuine interest in what I share rather than having people be influenced by the most hostile people in the room.

I don't want to play a semantics game. It's a waste of our time. I'm pretty sure you can see what I meant.

Anyway, I'd prefer a genuine interest in what I share rather than having people be influenced by the most hostile people in the room.

I am genuinely interested, let's see your evidence...why hide it?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Evidence, proof it doesn't matter how you word it and I can state with utmost certainty that you have neither, I would be willing to put my children's lives on the alter that there is no evidence/proof of God, so please show us what ya got so we can help you on your way to becoming unshackled from the mental grip a 2000yr old book has on you and your life

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I am genuinely interested, let's see your evidence...why hide it?
I could give you a million reasons, but I'd go with the simplest... He doesn't have any besides we don't know what type of Christian he is, like autism it's a spectrum, you have on one end of the scale the Christian lite, people kinda like you and me but where raised as kids in Christian households and just can't let go so believe in the big fella but don't exactly follow him day to day and it goes all the way to the Westboro Baptist church type motherfuckers who would still burn witches and heretics if they could get away with it, if he's on that side of the spectrum ain't matter a shit what we say, his brain ain't wired to receive facts and reason

Last edited:

They proselytize at every corner.
You'll probably be private messaged a bunch of sh*tty pseudo-science youtube videos of self-proclaimed "intellectuals" trying to indoctrinate spectators.

It's funny how these are the same people whining about ideological indoctrination.
I have yet to see somebody advertising DMs for facts about gender theory.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
They proselytize at every corner.
You'll probably be private messaged a bunch of sh*tty pseudo-science youtube videos of self-proclaimed "intellectuals" trying to indoctrinate spectators.

It's funny how these are the same people whining about ideological indoctrination.
I have yet to see somebody advertising DMs for facts about gender theory.
Tbf those videos are designed to capture morons and let's face it the sorta people who fall for that shite woudlve fallen for any other cult like crap, be it flat earth or new world order shit...

Anyways were still waiting for this "evidence"

Vick

Your posts are dripping with thinly veiled crazy. Ancient aliens, unclonable people, dangerous knowledge, proof of ancient DNA editing.
Kind of ironic for an atheist to deny basic science.

I also used the word evidence, not proof. But feel free to disagree with geneticists.

This a joke post? There is zero, like literally zero evidence for a God, in all of human history heck even this planets history there has not been one sign of divine intervention.
This is so blatantly false it almost hurts. Evidence is not proof.

ain't no magical sky daddy up in the clouds mate, he only resides in your head
No wonder this is your position with such a limited view of the subject.

"There's a billion to one chance we're living in base reality"

- Elon Musk

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson agrees, giving “better than 50-50 odds” that the simulation hypothesis is correct. “I wish I could summon a strong argument against it, but I can find none

Kind of ironic for an atheist to deny basic science.

I also used the word evidence, not proof. But feel free to disagree with geneticists.

This is so blatantly false it almost hurts. Evidence is not proof.

No wonder this is your position with such a limited view of the subject.

"There's a billion to one chance we're living in base reality"

- Elon Musk

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson agrees, giving “better than 50-50 odds” that the simulation hypothesis is correct. “I wish I could summon a strong argument against it, but I can find none

How about some real scientists?

Vick

How about some real scientists?

From your own video:

"That we live in some kind of computation in a by itself is not unscientific. For all we currently know, the laws of nature are mathematical, so you could say the universe is really just computing those laws. You could find this terminology weird, and i would agree, but it's not controversial."

You say real scientists, the position of real, atheistic scientists on this whole matter is "I don't know".

Which is the only sensible position.

This thread’s descended into rational people trying to converse with card carrying, kool aid drinking lunatics.
Carl Jung, Nikola Tesla, 51% of all scientists*, kool aid drinking lunatics.

*https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2009/11/05/scientists-and-belief/

Individuals living in the dumbest period of mankind ever known, denying actual science while behaving like NPC, rational people.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Carl Jung, Nikola Tesla, 51% of all scientists*, kool aid drinking lunatics.

*https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2009/11/05/scientists-and-belief/

Individuals living in the dumbest period of mankind ever known, denying actual science while behaving like NPC, rational people.

You’re the kool aid drinking lunatic, you plank. The fact you’ve cherry picked, and completely misinterpreted one video of Brian Cox proves this. I bet you’ve never watched one more second of anything he’s had to say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom