• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

57% of Gran Turismo 7's sales were digital last week in Uk

FROM has properly (whatever the hell that means) been multiplatform long before Elden Ring
I disagree. It really started with the release of Dark Souls 1. Yes, they were technically multiplatform way before, but mostly Playstation focused and definitely console focused. Now PC is one of their biggest income generators.

Dolodolo

I disagree. It really started with the release of Dark Souls 1. Yes, they were technically multiplatform way before, but mostly Playstation focused and definitely console focused. Now PC is one of their biggest income generators.
And how does it work for you?
You understand that the conditional Death Stranding is also Sony's property and Sony's game. It came out literally half a year later on PC after the release on PS4.
How does this stop making her a Sony game?
Or do I need to say that xbox does not have games, since all its projects go to the PC?

Yeah, exactly, and they still partnered with Sony after that.

FROM has effectively no IP to their name and is a subsidary of a company Sony is already partnered with.

It's already happened multiple times on Xbox. It's far more likely than not to happen again on Xbox.

The fact that most people have no idea which games your talking about says it all. Failed ass games. Where as demons souls is literally the start of souls games and I don't need to mention the other exclusive. FROM is way more associated with PS than they are Xbox though that doesn't mean it's possible for them to work together. We still have rumours of a kojima xbox exclusive, which would be surprising.

Whatever you want to believe. Be a bit more open minded though. It'll help you emotionally when you end up being wrong.

Hermen hulst mentioning FROM as a studio they will continue to work closely with gave it away and than all the PS Studios talking about elden ring. It's possible they have a new ip in the works. Sony are watertight on what's coming. All we know for 2023 is just spider-man 2. Most of their stuff hasn't been revealed yet.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Do you know that the game gets a lot of discounts during its cycle? The same will happen with Elden Ring. And with the second Horizon.

And why are you mentioning the PC version?

We are talking about games in general.

Elden Ring has been released on five platforms. According to your logic, I should only compare the PS4 and PS5 versions of both projects

not at all, I am just stating that I believe Horizon will need to be released on its expected further platform to reach 20 million lifetime. We will see how it goes.

Ultimately, I believe Elden Ring will eclipse 20 million sales and it will do it before Horizon. This is just down to the hype for Elden Ring.

Goalus

The fact that most people have no idea which games your talking about says it all. Failed ass games. Where as demons souls is literally the start of souls games and I don't need to mention the other exclusive. FROM is way more associated with PS than they are Xbox though that doesn't mean it's possible for them to work together. We still have rumours of a kojima xbox exclusive, which would be surprising.
It's not a fact. You just made that up because it supports your narrative.
A fact is that From and MS have a long history together.

Dolodolo

It's not a fact. You just made that up because it supports your narrative.
A fact is that From and MS have a long history together.
What is his narrative?
Even here on this forum, at least half of the people have no idea that From Software made Xbox games.
Do you know that dinosaurs existed?
Maybe remember some other historical facts that are a million years old?

What is his narrative?
Even here on this forum, at least half of the people have no idea that From Software made Xbox games.
Do you know that dinosaurs existed?
Maybe remember some other historical facts that are a million years old?

Are you serious! Everybody knows about murakumo and metal wolf chaos! 2 world renowned xbox exclusives by FROMSOFTWARE./s

Hermen hulst mentioning FROM as a studio they will continue to work closely with gave it away and than all the PS Studios talking about elden ring. It's possible they have a new ip in the works. Sony are watertight on what's coming. All we know for 2023 is just spider-man 2. Most of their stuff hasn't been revealed yet.
As I mentioned before, I expect them to make a PSVR2 exclusive. Not a mainline game though.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hermen hulst mentioning FROM as a studio they will continue to work closely with gave it away and than all the PS Studios talking about elden ring. It's possible they have a new ip in the works. Sony are watertight on what's coming. All we know for 2023 is just spider-man 2.
I do believe Sony may have locked in an exclusive before Elden Ring launched, but I do expect that no matter what it will have cost A LOT of money. Now the price would be HUGE.

I just dont think From Soft as a company would want to hold their games away from the PC fan base. I mean think about it, even with all the hype from the fanbase of Bloodborne it didn't sell incredibly well. I mean, I love the game and platinumed it but the only numbers we got were like 2.5 million. I'm sure its closer to 4 million or something now but thats not a big seller. From is used to hitting way over that with games like dark souls III and Sekiro...Elden ring will absolutely dwarf 5 million.

I suppose they could push the marketing as "from the creators of Elden Ring" but what would the game be after Elden Ring? going back to a traditional souls game like a bloodborne 2 would not be received as well I dont think.

reksveks

Remember when you are doing your calculations about the cost of exclusives, you need to think about how much money FS is actually getting at the end of the day. I don't know what the deals with Bandai looks like though.

As I mentioned before, I expect them to make a PSVR2 exclusive. Not a mainline game though.

thats actually possible. could just be a smaller PSVR 2 game. i think theres alot of 3rd party exclusivity coming for sony because thats how they can counter the activision and bethesda deals. i think they wil make even more deals. especially with japanese publishers and studios.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Probably a mix of Elden Ring being one of the most anticipated game ever and Steam growing like never before during the pandemic?
They went from 95 million monthly active users in 2019 to 132 million in 2021.

Elden Ring Is Steam's Most Wishlisted Game
Steam - 2020 Year in Review
Steam - 2021 Year in Review

Can't speak for SteamSpy accuracy but Steam and Elden Ring are big ya know...
"Open world"

That is the only reason. Or else, game wouldn't have been popular.

kingfey

Banned
Do you know that the game gets a lot of discounts during its cycle? The same will happen with Elden Ring. And with the second Horizon.

And why are you mentioning the PC version?

We are talking about games in general.

Elden Ring has been released on five platforms. According to your logic, I should only compare the PS4 and PS5 versions of both projects
What he fails to realize is that, the game has more fans, compared to horizon.

Open world users + hardcore users. All 3 big hit games fans will buy elden ring (gtav, skyrim, bow).

It already has 700k concurrent players on steam alone yesterday. Today at 04:00 utc, it had 594k concurrent users on steam. This is steam only, not xbox or Playstation.

Game is too big, and will cross 20m easily in 6 months.

Arun1910

Like i said, should've launched it a month or two after horizon, i think the sales cannibalized themselves

Games are 60 or more after all, that's $180 in a single month, I'm sure lots of people who would've bought GT didn't because they already spend 120 in horizon and Elden ring or vice versa

I don't think so. There is no genre crossover whatsoever here so you can't really draw a correlation between close Sony releases impacting each other. I'm not interested in GT at all so bought Horizon, I am sure many did the opposite.

kingfey

Banned
I don't think so. There is no genre crossover whatsoever here so you can't really draw a correlation between close Sony releases impacting each other. I'm not interested in GT at all so bought Horizon, I am sure many did the opposite.
GT kinda need spit light. You can't talk about that game, if there is a bigger game in the town.
Titan fall 2 failed due to that.

So far, there was arceus, dying light 2, elden ring (2 of the most anticipated games), hfw. Then there is GT7. By the time we reached gt7, gamers were busy with other games. And so is gaming journalists.

ethomaz

Banned
Concurrent player, means multiple people logged in at the same time.

If you see almost 1m people logged in, then the sales of that game would be big.

Today, it had 700k peak. That is more than 5m purchase. Since people play 3 hour on average

There are 556206 players right now, playing the game. That is 14 days, since the release of this game.
Just to be clear.

The concurrent players on Steam are for 2 hours if I’m not wrong… it is not exactly simultaneously. For example Steam shares this data each 2 hours at fixed times… 7:00, 9:00, 11:00, etc.

If you played the game between 7:01 and 9:00 for 10 minutes you will enter in be counted as concurrent players for this period.

That is why it was hard to compare number with Concurrent players done by hour or daily periods… though hour and 2-hours are closer than daily.

Last edited:
Is this really a good analogy when Nintendo DID release Mario Kart after BOTW and both did really well?
Mario Kart released almost 2 month after BotW, and Breath was a day one title, when you are supposed to have more first party titles in different genres to launch nearly contemporanely to arouse interest from different audiences

Three

It happened before From went properly multiplatform. It's not happening again. The only exclusive we might see is a smaller game for PSVR2.
'Properly multiplatform', what the fuck does that even mean? Bloodborne happened when Dark Souls was 'properly multiplatform'.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Just to be clear.

The concurrent players on Steam are for 2 hours if I’m not wrong… it is not exactly simultaneously. For example Steam shares this data each 2 hours at fixed times… 7:00, 9:00, 11:00, etc.

If you played the game between 7:01 and 9:00 for 10 minutes you will enter in be counted as concurrent players for this period.

That is why it was hard to compare number with Concurrent players done by hour or daily periods… though hour and 2-hours are closer than daily.
Its hourly. It records people who played the game at the same time, during that hour.
So if your account played the game in that 1 hour period, you are counted on.

As of now, it's 688k people playing at this hour.

'Properly multiplatform', what the fuck does that even mean? Bloodborne happened when Dark Souls was 'properly multiplatform'.
What it means is consistently releasing games on both consoles and PC. Bloodborne happened around the time Dark Souls 1 came out, their first proper multiplatform game.

ethomaz

Banned
Its hourly. It records people who played the game at the same time, during that hour.
So if your account played the game in that 1 hour period, you are counted on.

As of now, it's 688k people playing at this hour.
Unless Steam changed it is 2 hours.
The data come from Steam API not these dumb sites.

If you look at the graph it is doing a median to get the 1 hour data and that is why it looks weird with spikes each 2 hours.

The URL (you need to pass the AppId): https://api.steampowered.com/ISteamUserStats/GetNumberOfCurrentPlayers/v1/

I will monitor late to see the period the number changes.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Unless Steam changed it is 2 hours.
The data come from Steam API not these dumb sites.

If you look at the graph it is doing a median to get the 1 hour data and that is why it looks weird with spikes each 2 hours.

The URL (you need to pass the AppId): https://api.steampowered.com/ISteamUserStats/GetNumberOfCurrentPlayers/v1/

I will monitor late to see the period the number changes.

Here is steam chart info. It's hourly, not 2 hour.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Re: NPD sub-thread.

Just realised that Elden Ring has like 2 days that will be counted cause NPD will go upto the 26th.

Pokemon - 26 days
Horizon - 9 days
Elden Ring - 2 days

Will be interesting to see.

More people need to read this post of yours.

ethomaz

Banned
Like I said to kingfey kingfey I will update this post with the SteamAPI data for a interval of time to see how much it changes.

URL: https://api.steampowered.com/ISteamUserStats/GetNumberOfCurrentPlayers/v1/?appid=1245620 (yeap you can just put it on your Web Browser... no authentication needed... 1245620 is the Elden Ring AppId).

Times in GMT-3.

19:19 {"response":{"player_count":569054,"result":1}}
19:24 {"response":{"player_count":569384,"result":1}}
19:25 {"response":{"player_count":569384,"result":1}}
19:26 {"response":{"player_count":569384,"result":1}}
19:29 {"response":{"player_count":569384,"result":1}}
19:30 {"response":{"player_count":569276,"result":1}}
19:33 {"response":{"player_count":569276,"result":1}}
19:44 {"response":{"player_count":567875,"result":1}}
19:48 {"response":{"player_count":567875,"result":1}}
19:50 {"response":{"player_count":567316,"result":1}}

Finished.

Basically Steam updates that data each 5 minutes.
I was wrong about the 2 hours... and it is not 1 hour too.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Like I said to kingfey kingfey I will update this post with the SteamAPI data for a interval of time to see how much it changes.

URL: https://api.steampowered.com/ISteamUserStats/GetNumberOfCurrentPlayers/v1/?appid=1245620 (yeap you can just put it on your Web Browser... no authentication needed... 1245620 is the Elden Ring AppId).

Times in GMT-3.

19:19 {"response":{"player_count":569054,"result":1}}
19:24 {"response":{"player_count":569384,"result":1}}
19:25 {"response":{"player_count":569384,"result":1}}
19:26 {"response":{"player_count":569384,"result":1}}
19:29 {"response":{"player_count":569384,"result":1}}
19:30 {"response":{"player_count":569276,"result":1}}
19:33 {"response":{"player_count":569276,"result":1}}
19:44 {"response":{"player_count":567875,"result":1}}

Updating...

What's the point of this player count though?

Top Bottom