• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343i made a bad Halo game (campaign)

Cranster

Banned
And what does he want? Either to kill Osiris team because they aren't on the approved human list, or else to "test" the resolve and nature of Blue Team, by way of trying to kill them. It makes no practical difference one way or the other. Heads I win, tails you lose.

double_facepalm.png

Monocle

Does it really need to though? Halo 4 already did that.

I thought it was obvious at this point they obey Warden Eternal.

Even then it was explained incorrectly (Halo is a weapon, one with vast unimaginable power). That was retconned to The Great Journey in Halo 2.

How is it any different in Halo 5 than any other game? The Prometheans were protecting Cortana and her so called right to the mantle as per the Warden Eternals wishes.

At this point I think people are looking for non-existent issues with Halo 5's campaign because it's 343 Industries and not Bungie.
What? No it wasn't. The Halos were always galactic genocide devices meant to kill the Flood's food source, i.e. complex organisms. The Great Journey was always presented as the Covenant's misinterpretation of galactic extinction. They think there's some sort of transcendence involved, when the reality is that everything dies.

Unless I'm misreading your post?

Don't you mean the caves on Meridian? I don't remember pilotable Phaetons besides the Meridian digsite and fighting that huge Covenant walker thing on Sanghelios. Of course I might just have missed another way to play on Genesis ;p

Dude, wow. Cortana calls them out specifically and says either fly them or walk, and they are sitting there big as day in the middle of that chasm.

Level designers can provide as many multiple approaches as they want but it doesn't mean anything if you just plow through.

Random17

The Prometheans were either in service of the Warden or Cortana, and were accordingly hostile as their masters saw fit.

Problem is that we don't know much about either character in Halo 5.

Dude, wow. Cortana calls them out specifically and says either fly them or walk, and they are sitting there big as day in the middle of that chasm.

Level designers can provide as many multiple approaches as they want but it doesn't mean anything if you just plow through.
That why I put the last sentence in my post. Jeez.

Sorry, it's just of all the multiple paths in the game that one might be the most obvious. :)

Cortana literally tells you that you can either fly the Phaeton through or walk along the canyon edges.
I think I'm just confusing Meridian with Genesis. I thought the Phaetons were in the Meridian dig site, with Genesis not appearing until Osiris does its anti-grav walk on the Sanghelios Guardian, but I'm still going through a second legendary run. Will pay more attention this run, but every mission I've replayed I've found several things I missed the first time through.

Cranster

Banned
What? No it wasn't. The Halos were always galactic genocide devices meant to kill the Flood's food source, i.e. complex organisms. The Great Journey was always presented as the Covenant's misinterpretation of galactic extinction. They think there's some sort of transcendence involved, when the reality is that everything dies.

Unless I'm misreading your post?
Go to 20:20 in the video.

The entire scene itself
Cortana (COM): "One moment, sir. Accessing the Covenant Battlenet. (Pause) According to the data in their networks, the ring has some kind of deep religious significance. If I'm analyzing this correctly, they believe that Halo is some kind of weapon. One with vast, unimaginable power."
Captain Keyes: "And it's true… The Covenant kept saying that whoever controls Halo controls the fate of the universe."
Cortana (COM): "Now I see… I have intercepted a number of messages about a Covenant search team, scouting for a "control room". I thought they were looking for the bridge of a cruiser that I damaged during the battle above the ring. But they must be looking for Halo's control room."
Captain Keyes: "That's bad news. If Halo is a weapon, and the Covenant gain control of it, they'll use it against us and wipe out the entire human race."

Halo 1 make's no mention at all about The Great Journey and instead outright state's the Covenant believe Halo is a weapon. There was no mention of the Great Journey until the very last paragraph in the novel "First Strike"

Z_Y

I finished H5 and must have enjoyed it in some capacity because I rarely finish games anymore. But I pretty much agree with everything in the OP.

Prometheans suck as an enemy when compared to Elites. And the Wardens were the absolute worst thing I've ever encountered in a Halo game.

The Warden battles is the most mind-numbing game design decision I've seen in a while. Normally, this should be an annoying boss that you encounter once but they decided to have these battles more than once. Who was testing this and thought it was good idea to have the player go through this multiple times?

Besides that, the campaign is really good and enemy encounters is solid.

Boils down to more than just story. The new enemies just don't fit the halo play style as well. Just the look and feeling alone. Should probably do more covie things for the next game and try a connected world like the first game. I still feel the first halo is by far the best game in teh series

I really enjoyed the campaign. It was fun and not repetitive maybe Warden was the only repetitive part but other than that there are a lot of variety in missions.

RedSonja

Banned
I found the campaign to be incredibly engaging and well written. Out of all of the Halo games, I feel this one has the best story and character development.

Cranster

Banned
I find that out of all the mainline Halo games, Halo 3, Halo: Reach and Halo 4 to a point had the worst story and writing in the franchise. Where Halo 4 did a poor job of explaining to the player what was going on if you never read some of the recent novels, the other two were worse at points.

Halo 3 was full of filler, plotholes, poor dialogue and practically killed off characters in the most cheesiest ways as a cheap way to create drama, let alone the character retcon the Prophet of Truth turned out to be. I figure though that is mostly because Joseph Staten was not the lead writer for Halo 3 per the games credits. I absolutely despised Terence Stamp as the Prophet of Truth aswell due tot he fact that Michael Wincott perfected the characters voice in Halo 2.

With Halo: Reach Bungie just simply didn't care and made a mess with the events of the battle of Reach by literally retconning the novels final act. Compared to those Halo 5: Guardians is a masterpiece in storytelling.

krang

I find that out of all the mainline Halo games, Halo 3, Halo: Reach and Halo 4 to a point had the worst story and writing in the franchise. Where Halo 4 did a poor job of explaining to the player what was going on if you never read some of the recent novels, the other two were worse at points.

Halo 3 was full of filler, plotholes, poor dialogue and practically killed off characters in the most cheesiest ways as a cheap way to create drama, let alone the character retcon the Prophet of Truth turned out to be. I figure though that is mostly because Joseph Staten was not the lead writer for Halo 3 per the games credits. I absolutely despised Terence Stamp as the Prophet of Truth aswell due tot he fact that Michael Wincott perfected the characters voice in Halo 2.

With Halo: Reach Bungie just simply didn't care and made a mess with the events of the battle of Reach by literally retconning the novels final act. Compared to those Halo 5: Guardians is a masterpiece in storytelling.

This opinion irritates me quite a bit (I'm not specifically calling you out, by the way). You get a huge swathe of people condemn Halo 4 for making no sense because they hadn't read the novels, then you get a large number of people who hate that Reach conflicted with TFoR.

And I don't for one minute believe those two sets of people don't intersect.

The Halo CE one is exciting but annoying because it's so easy to get hung up on things. The Halo 3 one is complete shit because the Warhog physics make the damn thing flip all the time, and that's before you factor in the Sentinels and collapsing landscape. It's a bit more fun in a Ghost, I'll give it that.

3's felt like an utter cop out - "We can't think of an ending, we'll copy Halo 1's idea".

In 1 it was the perfect way to end an epic game.

I love Halo 5 btw - stupid me dipping toe in this thread again!

Halo 5 is amazing and succeds in everything imo. 343i came out swinging with a realistic and very believable cast, epic story and super gameplay.

Top Bottom