• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 Holiday sales report: Xbox Series X wins Black Friday, Nintendo Switch wins Thanksgiving. Top games: COD: Modern Warfare II and GOW: Ragnarok.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
At this rate he'll be nominated for Content Creator of the Year at next TGAs 😲

sponsored by Doritos
Happy You Good GIF

Ozriel

M$FT
I want to see reliable NPD data for US, reliable Famitsu for Japan, the different typical European rankings for EU etc. plus also reliable data from the console makers for wordwide console sales. Or at least numbers from one of the few reliable gaming market analisys firms, or from the US or EU gaming trade unions.

I reject to believe or give too much attention to numbers from a website I never heard before that mentions a source that game companies never used to track their sales or to analyze the market. The reliable sources I mention follow a proper methodology that provide accurate results.

I can make a poll on twitter or track what the store that is next to my home sells, but that doesn't represents a shit compared nation/region/global wide real sales.

Adobe Analytics is the data and analytics arm of Adobe. youre actually claiming you haven’t heard of Adobe?

According to Reuters

Adobe Analytics, which measures e-commerce by analyzing transactions at websites, has access to data covering purchases at 85% of the top 100 internet retailers in the United States.

United states. Estados Unidos.
Why are you going on about Famitsu Japan or EU sales? What has that got to do with this thread? why are you fixated on ‘game companies’ when it’s written in black and white that these guys track consumer spending for everything?

https://www.reuters.com/business/re...day-online-sales-hit-record-9-bln-2022-11-26/

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This sales game isn't as fun as it used to be. It's probably just me getting old, but it was fucking hilarious when the Wii was outselling the HD systems. Never had so much fun..

The logical inference is that Washington examiner are mixing up the XSS and the XSX. It’s probably the Xbox Series in general.

Not sure how you aren’t making that inference.

No price cut for the Series X

Probably because unlike you I actually read the OP, and noticed the two screens were from Adobe and not from the Examiner, and also that more links from other reports on the analysis were bringing up other games/consoles ranked lower on the bigger lists (which only people with access can see) and that various other reports on Adobes data outside maybe two all only bring up the Series X because it's the most prominent or one of the most prominent items in the data.

Some outlets report different things from the full detailed data, however in nearly every single one brings up the Xbox Series X. It's very clear that it's a major part of the data.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Man, Xbox is going to be one hell of a juggernaut this generation, isn't it? The big exclusives haven't even started hitting yet and they're already selling like hotcakes.

Going to be realllly interesting to see what way the market is looking in 2025/2026 and beyond, after exclusives like Starfield, Avowed, Fable, Perfect Dark, Hellblade II, Forza Motorsport, Elder Scrolls VI, and others are out. Not to mention everything coming with the ActiBlizz acquisition if that goes through.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Man, Xbox is going to be one hell of a juggernaut this generation, isn't it? The big exclusives haven't even started hitting yet and they're already selling like hotcakes.

Going to be realllly interesting to see what way the market is looking in 2025/2026 and beyond, after exclusives like Starfield, Avowed, Fable, Perfect Dark, Hellblade II, Forza Motorsport, Elder Scrolls VI, and others are out. Not to mention everything coming with the ActiBlizz acquisition if that goes through.
I doubt The Elder Scrolls VI will arrive this generation, Bethesda Maryland move from game to game, TESVI is most likely just in pre-production until Starfield is out. Maybe it’ll be crossgen with the next console but don’t expect it to affect this generation in any way besides hype and talk.

Stock issues.

That's part of it. That's always part of it. However we both know that's definitely not the sole reason.

It depends on how good any of those games genuinely are, what mass-market cache they have/gain (or don't), and whether other competitors like Sony and/or Nintendo start to languish in their output (which I doubt).

As far as any benefits from the ABK deal, likely it's going to be the same games ABK were already making, just that now MS will get all of that revenue. If you're thinking we're going to suddenly get revivals of StarCraft, Leisure Suit Larry, Space Quest etc. you might want to put those on hold.

Anyone talk about revenue yet? Lol

I think they are mixing sX and sS together but it’s still cool … I guess.

If they're specifically stating Series X among top-selling BF products, then they would have to be going by unit sales. But who knows, maybe they are going by revenue? Which would still give us a clue for units in comparison to PS5 at the very least (since outside of bundles Series X and PS5 are priced pretty much the same, at least in America).

Since this might be pertaining to several markets though outside of America it could be going by unit sales but not revenue, because PS5 is slightly more expensive in most global territories now after the price increase. If we're talking sales revenue for hardware in America only for all of November, that's probably going to be PS5 somewhat easily. Switch will probably come in at #2 on that metric considering the sales of the hardware this month and the fact it's stayed steady in pricing.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I doubt The Elder Scrolls VI will arrive this generation, Bethesda Maryland move from game to game, TESVI is most likely just in pre-production until Starfield is out. Maybe it’ll be crossgen with the next console but don’t expect it to affect this generation in any way besides hype and talk.
You don't think Elder Scrolls will be out by 2028? That's 6 years from now. And the game was announced over 4 years ago already.

I'd be really, really surprised if it didn't release on this generation of consoles.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It depends on how good any of those games genuinely are, what mass-market cache they have/gain (or don't), and whether other competitors like Sony and/or Nintendo start to languish in their output (which I doubt).

As far as any benefits from the ABK deal, likely it's going to be the same games ABK were already making, just that now MS will get all of that revenue. If you're thinking we're going to suddenly get revivals of StarCraft, Leisure Suit Larry, Space Quest etc. you might want to put those on hold.

If the games are quality, AAA experiences, then gamers will flock to them and in turn flock to the Xbox/Game Pass platform. Especially if MS can get a streak going of well reviewed AAA games.

Games like Fable, Hellblade, Forza, and Perfect Dark have great sales potential because of general interest in each respective IP, and games like Avowed and Starfield have great sales potential because of the large following of the developers behind them.

As long as the games are quality, with AAA production values, they will be huge for the platform.

But you're right; the big question is quality. Microsoft has to nail it on that front and start producing some of these God of War/Last of Us/Spider-Man/Ghost of Tsushima/Horizon caliber games that Sony is famous for.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
If the games are quality, AAA experiences, then gamers will flock to them and in turn flock to the Xbox/Game Pass platform. Especially if MS can get a streak going of well reviewed AAA games.

Games like Fable, Hellblade, Forza, and Perfect Dark have great sales potential because of general interest in each respective IP, and games like Avowed and Starfield have great sales potential because of the large following of the developers behind them.

As long as the games are quality, with AAA production values, they will be huge for the platform.

But you're right; the big question is quality. Microsoft has to nail it on that front and start producing some of these God of War/Last of Us/Spider-Man/Ghost of Tsushima/Horizon caliber games that Sony is famous for.

I doubt quality will be an issue. Have they had any first party games other than Ghostwire scoring below 80-90+ so far this generation? They also won a shit ton of GotY awards for 2021?

Fredrik

You don't think Elder Scrolls will be out by 2028? That's 6 years from now. And the game was announced over 4 years ago already.

I'd be really, really surprised if it didn't release on this generation of consoles.
They’re still working on Starfield with no release date announced, could arrive late 2023 for all we know. So it’s 5 years until 2028. I don’t think they can make a new TES in 5 years, even if a sizeable group of devs has been working on it in a secondary team it’ll easily take them 5 years to flesh out such a game properly. And releasing such a big game on a by then ancient box would be a waste.
It’ll be a launch game for the next Xbox, bank on it.

Except that's not all they would need to generate that effect. They need to have mainstream appeal too which is something a lot of MS's IP just tend to lack. Quality doesn't mean much on its own if it's not so absolutely amazing so as to transcend a more limited niche.

Flight Sim for example is a high-quality experience, but really only if you're hardcore into planes and flying as a hobby, otherwise it's not that appealing to you as-is.

I'm not entirely sold that Avowed has big sales potential; Oblivion's last big-ish game Outer Worlds didn't do huge numbers and that was multi-platform. Can't recall how much New Vegas did but I'm guessing it wasn't "massive" in numbers. Pentiment I doubt is moving any significant number of units at all. I could see Avowed doing a typical Forza release's number of copies sold lifetime, maybe slightly more if it's particularly good and has a bit more mainstream appeal.

But the thing about these releases for IP like Fable, Perfect Dark, Avowed etc. is that they're either completely new IP (so they don't have an existing fanbase or brand appeal), or new entries in IP that have effectively been dead for years (and went on hiatus in not the best of shape, such as with Perfect Dark Zero). So even if the quality is strong, the games would need a bit more on top of that (including great marketing) to drive big, notable sales, especially considering they will all likely be Day 1 in GamePass.

The thing that makes those Sony games so mainstream is the combination of quality, marketing, nostalgia, and very strong & relatable storytelling. See everyone raving about GOWR's story, worldbuilding etc.; it's the kind of story that's so well-done it could stand on its own even completely outside of a video game, going by the way most are describing it (I just ordered the game the other day so I won't start playing it until a few days from now once it arrives). Most games simply don't have stories of that level, especially in terms of the way they are told.

Whether any of MS's studios have the ability to build worlds and tell stories at that level is still a big fat unknown but from what I've seen from something like Starfield so far, at least that game specifically isn't going to be it (IMHO).

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I doubt quality will be an issue. Have they had any first party games other than Ghostwire scoring below 80-90+ so far this generation? They also won a shit ton of GotY awards for 2021?
Xbox first party has had solid output as of late, but they've yet to hit that 90+ AAA game outside of the Forza Horizon series. That's more-or-less what I'm referring to here. I'm very confident that the games will be good, but the question is whether they'll be industry defining the way some of Sony's exclusives have been.

They’re still working on Starfield with no release date announced, could arrive late 2023 for all we know. So it’s 5 years until 2028. I don’t think they can make a new TES in 5 years, even if a sizeable group of devs has been working on it in a secondary team it’ll easily take them 5 years to flesh out such a game properly. And releasing such a big game on a by then ancient box would be a waste.
It’ll be a launch game for the next Xbox, bank on it.
Starfield is due out in Spring 2023, so outside of another delay announcement, we'll be seeing it in a matter of months.

I'm still very confident TES VI will land on this generation of consoles, but I guess time will tell.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Xbox first party has had solid output as of late, but they've yet to hit that 90+ AAA game outside of the Forza Horizon series. That's more-or-less what I'm referring to here. I'm very confident that the games will be good, but the question is whether they'll be industry defining the way some of Sony's exclusives have been.
FS2020 also scored 90 and the rest were high 80s except Gears Tactics and Hivebusters which were low 80s.

Many waiting in line ere also waiting outside Target and Wal-Mart — what's surprising is they were specifically there to get a gaming console.

“I’m here to buy an Xbox Series X. Not even for any deals, just to buy one, since they sell out all the time,” one customer said. “I expected stock to be here for Black Friday, otherwise I wouldn't be here honestly.”

"They are sold out online" Said Jackie, a Brooklyn resident. "Me and several friends have been trying to find them for our kids without much luck."

splattered

Again, i legit figured the switch would have this on lockdown... they will at least win for the year by the time Christmas is done probably. Yeah?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Except that's not all they would need to generate that effect. They need to have mainstream appeal too which is something a lot of MS's IP just tend to lack. Quality doesn't mean much on its own if it's not so absolutely amazing so as to transcend a more limited niche.

Flight Sim for example is a high-quality experience, but really only if you're hardcore into planes and flying as a hobby, otherwise it's not that appealing to you as-is.

I'm not entirely sold that Avowed has big sales potential; Oblivion's last big-ish game Outer Worlds didn't do huge numbers and that was multi-platform. Can't recall how much New Vegas did but I'm guessing it wasn't "massive" in numbers. Pentiment I doubt is moving any significant number of units at all. I could see Avowed doing a typical Forza release's number of copies sold lifetime, maybe slightly more if it's particularly good and has a bit more mainstream appeal.

But the thing about these releases for IP like Fable, Perfect Dark, Avowed etc. is that they're either completely new IP (so they don't have an existing fanbase or brand appeal), or new entries in IP that have effectively been dead for years (and went on hiatus in not the best of shape, such as with Perfect Dark Zero). So even if the quality is strong, the games would need a bit more on top of that (including great marketing) to drive big, notable sales, especially considering they will all likely be Day 1 in GamePass.

The thing that makes those Sony games so mainstream is the combination of quality, marketing, nostalgia, and very strong & relatable storytelling. See everyone raving about GOWR's story, worldbuilding etc.; it's the kind of story that's so well-done it could stand on its own even completely outside of a video game, going by the way most are describing it (I just ordered the game the other day so I won't start playing it until a few days from now once it arrives). Most games simply don't have stories of that level, especially in terms of the way they are told.

Whether any of MS's studios have the ability to build worlds and tell stories at that level is still a big fat unknown but from what I've seen from something like Starfield so far, at least that game specifically isn't going to be it (IMHO).

Microsoft greenlit Flight Sim with the knowledge that it was a niche product and the game was budgeted, developed & marketed with that understanding. Same goes for Pentiment. Pentiment was made by like a dozen people with a tiny, tiny budget. It was never intended to be a big financial hit.

Fable, Perfect Dark, Starfield, etc.. etc.. are all very much so intended to be huge financial hits. They were scoped, budgeted, developed, and will be marketed as massive AAA titles that everyone "needs" to play. And history has shown that if the quality is there with big budget AAA titles, consumers will flock to them. Especially established IP like what I've listed above.

There is no world where a story-driven, cinematic, well paced, 90+ Metacritic AAA Perfect Dark game doesn't fly off shelves.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
So gaming websites are not reporting this news, only a mega Xbox fanboy on GAF is talking about it?

Never heard him described as a ‘mega Xbox fanboy’ when he opened at least 4 threads calling for 343 to be disbanded and Halo scrapped as a franchise.

He does have a penchant for making up his own headline. Adobe Analytica isn’t claiming Xbox Series won Black Friday. They’re listing Xbox Series among some of the hottest purchases with customers online on Black Friday.

His comment about Xbox being a juggernaut this gen doesn’t translate to Sony or Nintendo doing poorly. It is very possible for all three to do very well this generation.

Not every darn thing has to be a competition.

Gamepass is a system seller for Xbox consoles. ABK deal will bring in Call of Duty and other major Activision franchises to the service day 1. That’s bound to increase subscribers and likely console sales.
I presume that’s what he’s thinking about.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
FS2020 also scored 90 and the rest were high 80s except Gears Tactics and Hivebusters which were low 80s.
I know, but FS 2020 isn't going to sell many consoles. I'm talking about AAA tentpole releases that shift the industry. Microsoft hasn't had one of those in a long, LONG time.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Never heard him described as a ‘mega Xbox fanboy’ when he opened at least 4 threads calling for 343 to be disbanded and Halo scrapped as a franchise.
It's still threads about Xbox to keep them in the conversation. 90% of his endless threads are about Xbox and then you can just read his comments to know.

We are not fooled by the "I'm neutral I own all consoles" you and all the xbox warriors do here.

Ozriel

M$FT

Curious to hear what you’ve seen about Starfield’s story and world for you to come to this conclusion.

It's still threads about Xbox to keep them in the conversation. 90% of his endless threads are about Xbox and then you can just read his comments to know.

We are not fooled by the "I'm neutral I own all consoles" you and all the xbox warriors do here.

At least I own all the consoles. More than I can say for you. I don’t have to compensate for any lack by bad-mouthing stuff I don’t own 😀

I went through this phase you’re going through when I was much younger and didn’t have money. You’ll rise above this someday

Last edited:
Since this might be pertaining to several markets though outside of America it

Literally a US based thread.

You do nothing but make up excuses to have a warrior fight in various threads. Most of my threads are about sales or announced gaming devices and have nothing to do with Xbox, they were just the only ones recently not being quite with announcing sales, and partnerships with various companies. They kept THEMSELVES in the news cycle not me.

Just going to forget about the PS5 EV cars, the Xperia phone and all those announced Console PC desktops, new handhelds, new gaming phones are we for the wars? I see.

Last edited:

yurinka

Adobe Analytics is the data and analytics arm of Adobe. youre actually claiming you haven’t heard of Adobe?

According to Reuters
Yes, I heard about Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or Acrobat reader, which have nothing to do with this.

But it's the first time I heard about about Adobe Analytics, and I worked as game dev during almost two decades (and web developer before that) including many years with F2P and the marketing department, and in a huge company. Plus have many friends in many other big gaming companies. I heard about many analytics tools (even did help build one) or many market analysis firms.

United states. Estados Unidos.
Why are you going on about Famitsu Japan or EU sales? What has that got to do with this thread? why are you fixated on ‘game companies’ when it’s written in black and white that these guys track consumer spending for everything?
Because I'm mentioning examples of getting reliable sources. As it is the Famitsu ranking for physical games (or consoles) on Japan, even if this particularly is from USA. And I also mention the game companies because they are the best and most source because they are the only ones who know their own exact sales.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
At least I own all the consoles. More than I can say for you. I don’t have to compensate for any lack by bad-mouthing stuff I don’t own 😀

I went through this phase you’re going through when I was much younger and didn’t have money. You’ll rise above this someday
You know nothing about me.

I actually own all the consoles and all the subscriptions services so I'm neutral too.

This sales game isn't as fun as it used to be. It's probably just me getting old, but it was fucking hilarious when the Wii was outselling the HD systems. Never had so much fun..

Well... the Switch is out there killing it against superior performance consoles and phones, again. Nintendo man.

Last edited:
Literally a US based thread.

Was figuring as such given the holiday but I always thought some other countries would "acknowledge" it or at least the Black Friday & Cyber Monday aspects which are purely retail-based, not to mention how much shopping is done online these days.

Google Trends chart posted yesterday mid-day
7CDLayY.png

Outside of Alaska seems like PS5 trended better in the more populous of states, overall. But that's basically the only thing this chart could even tell anyone.

Curious to hear what you’ve seen about Starfield’s story and world for you to come to this conclusion.

Story: Not much, which is kind of the problem. It's just on some relic which will probably be a McGuffin or deus ex machina kind of thing but outside of that, nothing else really known about the story. I'm more curious (and partly worried) with how the story will be presented, really.

People can troll Sony games for being overly cinematic all they want but fact is that type of thing easily hooks in a lot more people and for good reason. It's not that you can't have story through text logs, artifacts, transcripts and passages (because Sony's games do that as well, i.e HFW). However that as the sole means of delivering a story in a AAA game these days generally isn't going to result in anything too captivating.

From what I've seen from the June footage Starfield's going to rely on dialog frames with a stilted, static camera and where the only emoting is done with the face (and not as convincingly as other AAA games of late, I might add). It's going to be that, and the aforementioned stuff being the main ways the story is told. Given the visuals seen so far I don't know if such older-school methods are going to be the most riveting way to present its story, but I guess we'll see.

World: From what we've seen in the June footage so far the worlds and environments presented so far don't seem particularly a step above other sci-fi games like Mass Effect, Returnal, or No Man's Sky. In fact in some ways I'd say those games seem to have more inventive environments. But I'm only basing it off of what we've seen of Starfield so far, nothing more.

I think good technical performance matters a lot here too though, and the game needs to have much better frame-pacing than the June footage did. Especially if it's only going to offer 30 FPS (I think it should have an option for 60 FPS or at least a 40 FPS Performance Mode as well, however).

Last edited:
Was figuring as such given the holiday but I always thought some other countries would "acknowledge" it or at least the Black Friday & Cyber Monday aspects which are purely retail-based, not to mention how much shopping is done online these days.

Outside of Alaska seems like PS5 trended better in the more populous of states, overall. But that's basically the only thing this chart could even tell anyone.

Yeah but this was specifically in the US.

Also not sure how you're getting PS5 having more populous states, but it's only a partial indicator not really set in stone. But it does show that it may be a closer month than people think, regardless of who wins.

Easily every console will have over 1.2 million in November imo. At least.

Try PlayStation 5.

Most people search PS5, so when this image was made putting in playstation 5 then probably would have removed it from the map completely.

Looks like gaming is doing better than ever! Happy for all the kiddos that got gaming toys from Santa this year. My little 1 is getting a switch lite for Christmas, and obviously Minecraft. More happiness, less bickering. Enjoy today for tomorrow is not guaranteed. 😘

It's clear you hate your child, I'm on the phone with CPS right now.

Simpkin92

At my Local Walmart there was still several PS5s in stock after Black Friday but no Xbox’s at all. They must have sold a ton of Xbox’s because they had a monstrous pile of them when I bought a series X that morning for my father in law.

Last edited:
Top Bottom